Many Denominations

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With so many, how does one know which one is the correct one to follow? Serious question here.
It's a great question! For myself, it's more a matter of the people in the individual church. When my wife and I have been needing to find a church, we pray for God to guide us, and we start going to churches.

In my two most recent times of "church shopping", the last time, last year, God just spoke to my wife's heart which we should attend, and it's proven a wonderful place for us to be. The time before, about 15 years ago, He also spoke to my wife's heart which it should be, though I made us try several before I went with her suggestion, which proved to be a wonderful place for us to be.

So maybe this shopping around - my idea - isn't so great after all, maybe just ask my wife?

Much love!

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With so many, how does one know which one is the correct one to follow? Serious question here.
Hello Meadow, first off, since I see that you are new around this place, welcome to CB :waves:

As far as which denomination to attend/join, I would start by reading their SoF (Statement of Faith, also called a "Doctrinal Statement") to see what they hold to as most important about the Christian faith. Here are two of them as examples, one from my own denomination, The Evangelical Free Church of America/SoF, and one from a non-denominational church in California, Grace Community Church. Every denomination has a SoF/Doctrinal Statement, as do all local churches (though many of the latter simply point to their denomination's SoF as their own).

The next step (that I would take personally) is to find out what a local church thinks about/how they regard the Bible (this may be stated in their SoF). IOW, do they consider it to be the written ("breathed") word of God Himself .. e.g. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, inerrant/infallible (in the autographs, at least), or do they consider it to be something else (e.g. only partially God's word and/or man's best musings about the Divine, etc.)? My personal belief is that the Bible, all of it (OT/NT), is God's word, written down for us by various men over millennia under the guidance and supervision of (superintended by) the Holy Spirit.

Finally, here are a couple of links that you may find useful. Just FYI, the second link includes a video if you'd prefer to listen rather than read (the article's text and the video's text are one and the same however).

God bless you!! (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - once you determine a church that looks good to you "on paper" (so to speak), give their pastor a call and ask him questions about the church as I think that (along with visiting a church, of course) is the best way to know what it's all about (and whether or not it's for you).

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your question is built on the assumption that only ONE denomination can be the RIGHT one.
And infers that ALL others are false. Probably the wrong approach to this.

I like what @Papa Smurf had to say. Check them out to see which is the best fit for you.
When I moved home to another city we visited three area churches that seemed like a good fit and rotated visits on Sundays.
One seemed to be the best in the final analysis. That's where we still are.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a great question and can only be answered by a study of God's word. Many teach conflicting gospels so you will need to trust only in God's word and study to show thyself approved. Don't take the preacher at his word but search the scripture to be sure he is speaking only the oracles of God and not his interpretation of it.

Mark 16:18 I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.
note Jesus said he would build his church not churches

Galatians 1:6-10
6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.

Study to make sure what the others are teaching for all should only be teaching the oracles of God if not then beware but with the above declaration from Paul it is clear that some are not teaching as God has spoken so we must study the word to find the true teachings of Christ.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Study to make sure what the others are teaching for all should only be teaching the oracles of God if not then beware but with the above declaration from Paul it is clear that some are not teaching as God has spoken so we must study the word to find the true teachings of Christ.
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Do you mean like "study Rightly Divided," as shown below?:

Please Be Very Richly Encouraged And Edified In The
Lord Jesus Christ And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided ( I and II ). PG rated "Approved" *
↑ totally unknown by Most 'denominations' ↑ cc: @Meadow

Grace, Peace, Mercy And Love

* PG = Perfect God / Parental Guidance

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If the body of the church were turkey, the first question would be, "Dark meat or white?"

All kidding aside, we are a body of many members and therefore it is completely fine that there are many denomination (even though some do not qualify to be of the body of Christ). As such, indeed, a nose should not gather with a foot, except he bleed.

The search then, is one of locating those of one's own part or kind. Certainly, this is where each will do best to contribute to the overall body of Christ, without which there is otherwise no harmony or poetry in motion.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a great question! For myself, it's more a matter of the people in the individual church. When my wife and I have been needing to find a church, we pray for God to guide us, and we start going to churches.

In my two most recent times of "church shopping", the last time, last year, God just spoke to my wife's heart which we should attend, and it's proven a wonderful place for us to be. The time before, about 15 years ago, He also spoke to my wife's heart which it should be, though I made us try several before I went with her suggestion, which proved to be a wonderful place for us to be.

So maybe this shopping around - my idea - isn't so great after all, maybe just ask my wife?

Much love!
Well i went to lots of churches where the people seemed big time friendly and welcoming .
But the DOCTRINE STANK to HIGH HEAVEN .
SO i have to say its not really about the people in the church . WELL if by that you meant friendly .
The best and simple answer to the question the writer asked would be ,
DOES THE CHURCH PUT GOD , PUT CHRIST FIRST above all . DO IT teach HIS DOCTRINE .
OR does it pander to humanity and feelings . IF IT DO the latter , RUN FROM IT .
AND NEVER LOOK back , but do try and take as many as are willing to hear WITH YA when your behind exits the door .
WHEN SHOPPING FOR A CHURCH the question should be
ARE THEY KEEPING ALL THINGS JESUS and the apostles taught . ARE THEY TEACHING THAT . IF SO , great ENTER THOU
into it . IF not , start correcting . IF THE LEADERSHIP aint hearing , THEN GET OUT and take anything that breathes WITH YA
on the way OUT . cause if the LEADERSHIP dont BELIEVE in what JESUS and the apostels taught and refuse to repent
THE PEOPLES UNDER THEM STAND NO CHANCE at all . TIME to BIBLE UP .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the body of the church were turkey, the first question would be, "Dark meat or white?"

All kidding aside, we are a body of many members and therefore it is completely fine that there are many denomination (even though some do not qualify to be of the body of Christ). As such, indeed, a nose should not gather with a foot, except he bleed.

The search then, is one of locating those of one's own part or kind. Certainly, this is where each will do best to contribute to the overall body of Christ, without which there is otherwise no harmony.
If that be true then why so many warnings of false teaching? One must be following the truth of God's word not some other doctrine which is easy for the ears

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well i went to lots of churches where the people seemed big time friendly and welcoming .
But the DOCTRINE STANK to HIGH HEAVEN .
SO i have to say its not really about the people in the church . WELL if by that you meant friendly .
The best and simple answer to the question the writer asked would be ,
DOES THE CHURCH PUT GOD , PUT CHRIST FIRST above all . DO IT teach HIS DOCTRINE .
OR does it pander to humanity and feelings . IF IT DO the latter , RUN FROM IT .
AND NEVER LOOK back , but do try and take as many as are willing to hear WITH YA when your behind exits the door .
WHEN SHOPPING FOR A CHURCH the question should be
ARE THEY KEEPING ALL THINGS JESUS and the apostles taught . ARE THEY TEACHING THAT . IF SO , great ENTER THOU
into it . IF not , start correcting . IF THE LEADERSHIP aint hearing , THEN GET OUT and take anything that breathes WITH YA
on the way OUT . cause if the LEADERSHIP dont BELIEVE in what JESUS and the apostels taught and refuse to repent
THE PEOPLES UNDER THEM STAND NO CHANCE at all . TIME to BIBLE UP .
AMEN no truer word of advice AMEN my the people HEAR GOD"S word and not that of man.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that be true then why so many warnings of false teaching? One must be following the truth of God's word not some other doctrine which is easy for the ears
Not only was and is there many warnigs of false teachings but we also got a SERIOUS
warning about even ALLOWING a false one to teach or to seduce the people .
AND boy its a dire warning too . That church was doing it a lot of good
but GOD FOUND a major problem within it . You see it , some in it at least , were ALLOWING
take a peek at that word , EVEN ALLOWING a false one to teach and to seduce the people .
AND if they repented not of doing that , WHAT DID GOD say HE was gonna do to them .
FIGHT AGAINST THEM with the SWORD OF HIS MOUTH . Yeah its high time we got dug in bibles again and let us be
a learning that GOD , HIS CHRIST and all sound doctrine well .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If one goes shopping for a turkey and comes home with a turnip, Thanksgiving will be without meat.

Seriously, just as we are a body of many [different] members, we are also one of different gifts; and if the wrong gift is applied in the wrong place, there is no service to God. Thus, it is good to seek those of like minds. Which goes without saying, or should, that one must first determine if a local congregation is of Christ.

As for false teaching, the warnings are real and the outcome foretold. Certainly, we should take heed. But even Christ shown into darkness, and even five out of seven churches of Revelation Christ had somewhat against. In other words, we are not sent to the light of other followers of Christ, but to shine the light of Christ wherever we are sent. If we then congregate and fellowship with those like ourselves, we shine all the more.

As for other doctrines, a tree is known by its fruit, and light is not to be of the darkness.

Reactions: amadeus

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Technically none are the correct one to follow, since it is Christ we are to follow, not man-made institutions.

1Co 1:10-13 Now I beg you, brothers, through the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfected together in the same mind and in the same judgment. (11) For it has been reported to me concerning you, my brothers, by those who are from Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. (12) Now I mean this, that each one of you says, “I follow Paul,” “I follow Apollos,” “I follow Cephas,” and, “I follow Christ.” (13) Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized into the name of Paul?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly? None. Focus on getting your Christianity from Jesus and the disciples through the New Testament. Read the bible in context and try to find a church or fellowship that is following that example. Don't let the churches try to define your Christianity and then read the Bible.

I would just pretend that no devotionals, sermons, summaries, or interpretations of Christianity existed and just focus on the New Testament as written. There is a lot of lies/leaven to sift through today.