Mark 6:45-56 ~Read-Along (With Quotes)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 6:45-56
New American Standard Bible 1995

So in the last session of Mark 6:30-44 you learned more about the power of Christ He was able to manipulate food to be able to use 5 loaves of bread, and 2 fish to feed 5,000 people.

He looked up towards the heaven and blessed the food and broke the food apart and gave it to the disciples who laid it before the large multitude of 5,000 people, who ate until they were satisfied. This was a very real miracle in my opinion that can be learned from spiritually.

The spiritual aspect for us now today is that as a believer you give the Word to someone and they can be fed by the spirit of Christ in you by sharing Christ; with others who know him, or do not know him by reminding them what He has been through in own life. At least it is in my opinion the meaning behind the whole story.

In the previous verses beforehand you can see Jesus send out the disciples with a staff, - a walking stick -, which to me is symbolic of them being the branches and Jesus being the vine, you can learn more about that in John 15.

Jesus Walks on the Water
45 Immediately Jesus made His disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side to Bethsaida, while He Himself was sending the crowd away.

In verse 45 you can see the use of the word Immediately again by Mark. Immediately Jesus made His disciples after feeding the 5,000 people, to go and get back into the boat and go ahead of Jesus. To the other side of Bethsaida, while Jesus stayed on land and sent the crowd away.

So you can see here that Jesus was going to stay behind, and the Disciples were going on off to be alone in the boat traveling over to Bethsaida.

Some background information: Bethsaida was the home town of Philip, Andrew, and Peter, which was located on the Plain of Bathia, northeast of where the Jordan River, enters the Sea of Galilee.

So the disciples would be traveling towards that way, on the boat by themselves without Jesus with them.

46 After bidding them farewell, He left for the mountain to pray.

In verse 46: Jesus had stayed behind and the disciples departed; and bid all the people there on land with Him farewell, and He left for the mountain to pray. So Jesus has sent everyone away back home, and now he is going up on the mountain by himself to pray to his Father.

The word pray is called - pros-yoo'-khom-ahee; and it means to exchange wishes; to interact with the Lord by switching human (ideas) for His wishes as He imparts faith. Faith and prayer are closely connected to each other.

Prayer is offered in asking God for help, praying for others, and reporting our problems and struggles to God, and to keep our head above the water in a sense were the waters of the world can drown you out.

47 When it was evening, the boat was in the middle of the sea, and He was alone on the land.

In verse 47: When it was becoming nightfall, the boast and the disciples were in the middle of the sea, and Jesus was alone on land.

48 Seeing them straining at the oars, for the wind was against them, at about the fourth watch of the night He *came to them, walking on the sea; and He intended to pass by them.

In verse 48: You can see here the effort of the men trying to row the boat to the destination while Jesus was still on land up in the mountain He could see them struggling. So the disciples were out in the boat in the dead of the darkest night with the wind against them (sometimes implied empty doctrines) ~ They were straining ~ The word for straining is an interesting word it is called basanizo : And it means tormenting trail. So the disciples were on this trial to get through this wind that was against them and they are not having any avail by themselves by their own human effort.

With all of this going on Jesus had decided to come to them, walking on the sea; (You can see here Jesus and his power over the nature itself - in aspect the world and its problems that it gives). Jesus intended to pass them by.

49 But when they saw Him walking on the sea, they supposed that it was a ghost, and cried out;

In verse 49: But when they saw Jesus walking on the sea, they supposed that it was a ghost, and they cried out.

In this in my opinion according to scripture Jesus is the light of all mankind and through the darkness they could see this light illuminating off of Jesus because he was the Son of God. So when they seen this light approaching it resembled that of a ghost and they were afraid. So they cried out.

50 for they all saw Him and were terrified. But immediately He spoke with them and *said to them, “Take courage; it is I, do not be afraid.”

In verse 50: For they all saw Him and were terrified. But immediately Jesus spoke with them and said to them, "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid."

If me and or you were in that situations having been rowing in a boat for several hours to no avail with the wind against us. Then a light came up from the waters we would probably be afraid and terrified as well. Thankfully though; Jesus had came up to them and spoke to them saying "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid." Hearing the familiar voice probably placed them at ease immediately with comfort.

51 Then He got into the boat with them, and the wind stopped; and they were utterly astonished,

In verse 51: So now we see Jesus had got into the boat with them and the wind had stopped; wind can sometimes be seen as empty doctrines. So the wind of the world was against them, until Jesus had got into the vessel with them. The winds of the world had calmed down and they were utterly astonished, by this.

52 for they had not gained any insight from the incident of the loaves, but their heart was hardened.

In verse 52; For the disciples had not gained any insight from the incident of the loaves, but their heart was hardened. So the disciples were still naturally men without the holy spirit with them in them unlike us today who have the spirit with-in them. Earlier they were given the authority to cast out demons and heal the sick according to the account in mark they were able to do so by placing their faith and trust in Jesus as the disciples were the branches.

We also see from above that Jesus had came into the vessel with them and the wind had stopped and they were able to travel onward; you can see the difference between mans strength and Christ strength. You can see that, and you also can know that in the body of Jesus was the Logos of God; and the Holy spirit of God that had walked towards the men as they were in trouble and as (Jesus) they got into the boat the wind ceased. The troubles of the world themselves had stopped.

So because of the disciples not having the spiritual aspect of knowledge yet, they still did not gain any insight from the miracle that just happened several hours ago on land where Jesus was able to multiply the food for everyone to eat. They still had not really realized the power of Jesus Christ that was coming from with-in him as the Logos of God who had the Holy Spirit of God inside of him.

One more thing to note here is that The disciples were in their natural strength it is the same thing for unbelievers today they have to rely on their natural strength to overcome things. We see here that there is much benefit to allowing God and Jesus Christ into your life who have the strength to supplement you by the spiritual aspect of life which a choice upon a person if they will decide to have desire to have faith and believe that God and Jesus Christ can help them overcome the things in their life that may give them problems, be it addictions, hate, covetousness, and all of the things that pertain to the flesh itself. Which we will be more into when we enter on wards to chapter 7.

The problems of man are these: Mark 7:20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

Reactions: amadeus and Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I used to be an avid Chinook salmon fisherman. This meant going down to Bronte pier, which was about an hour and a half's drive from me. One only had from August to September to do this, due to their migration pattern, so each trip was precious.
I arrived on the pier one night, only to see, lit by the streetlights, a storm moving in from the lake. My spirits dropped as I didn't have a raincoat and fishing wet was a sure way to get ill.
In desperation, I asked an old-timer, "Do you really think it's going to rain?" He answered," I've been coming here for many years, and when you see a storm coming in like it is now, it's gonna rain. And that's not just my opinion. Look around."
As I scanned both piers, I saw dozens of fishermen in the process of putting on raincoats. My hopes of hooking into a rocket were quickly diminishing.
Then I recalled Jesus commanding the storm to calm down, and since it had only been several weeks since He'd spoke me in a vision that all things were possible, if one only believed, I chose to believe Him.
I spoke to the storm: "In Jesus' name, I command you, storm, to go back out over the lake, stay there while I fish, and only come back when I release you to do so."
The storm stopped it's forward progress and then slowly went back a bit and stopped. It stayed there the whole night. Later on, as I got in my truck to leave, I told the storm it could carry on. 5 minutes later it was raining.
This happened in August, 1994. I had recently met my Father while at a local church. I give all the credit to God.
"All things are possible, if one only believes." - Jesus Christ

Reactions: amadeus and Ziggy

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be an avid Chinook salmon fisherman. This meant going down to Bronte pier, which was about an hour and a half's drive from me. One only had from August to September to do this, due to their migration pattern, so each trip was precious.
I arrived on the pier one night, only to see, lit by the streetlights, a storm moving in from the lake. My spirits dropped as I didn't have a raincoat and fishing wet was a sure way to get ill.
In desperation, I asked an old-timer, "Do you really think it's going to rain?" He answered," I've been coming here for many years, and when you see a storm coming in like it is now, it's gonna rain. And that's not just my opinion. Look around."
As I scanned both piers, I saw dozens of fishermen in the process of putting on raincoats. My hopes of hooking into a rocket were quickly diminishing.
Then I recalled Jesus commanding the storm to calm down, and since it had only been several weeks since He'd spoke me in a vision that all things were possible, if one only believed, I chose to believe Him.
I spoke to the storm: "In Jesus' name, I command you, storm, to go back out over the lake, stay there while I fish, and only come back when I release you to do so."
The storm stopped it's forward progress and then slowly went back a bit and stopped. It stayed there the whole night. Later on, as I got in my truck to leave, I told the storm it could carry on. 5 minutes later it was raining.
This happened in August, 1994. I had recently met my Father while at a local church. I give all the credit to God.
Truman,
Okay, thank you for sharing.

ziggy,
Thank you for sharing.

In JESUS’ name!

Amen!
Jessiblue,
Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: amadeus and Ziggy

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
A tornado like that will usually weaken over a few minutes. For one that size to dissipate like that was unusual.
Thanks for highlighting the spiritual aspect of the word.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Give God the glory! Praise His holy precious name!