Mathew 22 vs 32. God of the Living

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
Mathew 22, 31-32, Jesus Christ said. But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying ' I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

How come? but Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is dead! Please can someone explain to me?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
The Luke 20 version gives a little bit more...

Luke 20:37-38
37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses shewed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
38 For He is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto Him.
(KJV)

And then a little bit more in Mark 12...

Mark 12:26-27
26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, "I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?"
27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.
(KJV)

That the dead are raised after flesh death, Moses showed when God said, "I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." For all live unto Him. How's that?

It means their 'spirit' is not dead. Their flesh body died, but not their spirit. Solomon also revealed this in Eccl.12:5-7. Paul revealed it in 2 Cor.5. Our Lord Jesus revealed it when He told the malefactor crucified with Him that believed, that he would be with Him in Paradise that day.

The false idea that 'we', our intellect, or person, dies along with our flesh is a lie. The idea that when our flesh dies our spirit is literally asleep in the ground with our flesh, is a doctrine of men. As written in Deut.34, Moses died, and The LORD buried his body in the land of Moab.

Yet Moses and Elijah later appeared upon the mount of transfiguration and talked with our Lord Jesus about His coming crucifixion in Jerusalem. Peter, John, and James saw them (Luke 9).