Mature Spiritual Christians No Longer Need the Written Word?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You attacked those who would put the written word in its proper place before God--which is the topic according to the original post, and I defended them because what you have said is against God.
No I attacked those who would belittle the Scriptures. It was not a personal attack, although you may have taken it personal and lashed out at me personally.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was referring to elementary principles found in the Word, not the Scriptures themselves.

Here Paul asks to bring the Scriptures...
2 Timothy 4:13 (KJV) The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.
None of which contradicts God's plan to spiritualize what is written to be in the heart, or cancels all of what Paul also wrote about walking in the spirit. All of which discussion can only end with you being right or God whom is spirit being right. You pit yourself against God. But He has already stated the end of the matter...and it is not what is written on tablets.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I attacked those who would belittle the Scriptures. It was not a personal attack, although you may have taken it personal and lashed out at me personally.
You kid yourself: If it was against "those" [persons], it was indeed "personal." And now you admit it was an "attack."

But "belittling" is also your word. Which is surely an exaggeration out of your own personal prejudice. If you can quote someone using that term, do so. Meanwhile, the actual thing that has been going on here on the forums is the opposite of "belittling." On the contrary, we glorify the word of God in the same way that He Himself has promised to do - which is in spirit. You [apparently] and those who oppose the idea of pressing on in the spirit and following Christ in the way of the Spirit, do on the other hand, belittle the word of God as if He had not promised to see it past its form of being written on tablets.

You are guilty of your own accusation.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Surely he is referring to Paul who called the basic principles of Christ and salvation "elementary." :rolleyes:

I believe, the reference to revealing things to BABES...is:

Gentiles were NOT steeped in the History of the Jewish God.
While the Messiah was historically taught to the Hebrews/Tribes....Gentiles were busy making idols and making up their own gods.

Enter Jesus, (the Christ Messiah of the Hebrews/Tribes of Israel)...and WHOOPS, the Tribes/ were not impressed. Yipes, a working man, without pomp, without reputation, without riches.....THEIR MESSIAH??
They for the most part promptly REJECTED Jesus.....as uh, no....he can't be their Messiah.

And at the same time, and probably the FIRST time, (broad scale) Gentiles were being introduced TO: the Christ Messiah of the Jews AND the Jewish God...AND accepting HIM!

They are the babes, the ones with elementary knowledge, the ones having little history with THEE Heavenly God....and MANY Gentiles, even with their little knowledge, leaped into accepting the Lord.

There is that saying...."the first shall be last and the last shall be first"....

Gods Israel was First, First to hear God, First to be taught of God, First to record Gods Word, First to be Saints, First to be revealed the Messiah, First to be taught of Jesus, First to Accept Christ Jesus, First to Witness His Resurrection, (And FIRST to Deny Christ Jesus)....And shall be LAST to be resurrected.

Large scale the Gentiles were the LAST to accept Christ Jesus and God....and the FIRST to Continue in Acceptance, Continue in teaching Christ Jesus, and Scripturally taught, (primarily make up the) the CHURCH of Jesus Christ, and those IN CHRIST, shall BE the FIRST to be resurrected.

Glory to God,
Taken

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe, the reference to revealing things to BABES...is:

Gentiles were NOT steeped in the History of the Jewish God.
While the Messiah was historically taught to the Hebrews/Tribes....Gentiles were busy making idols and making up their own gods.

Enter Jesus, (the Christ Messiah of the Hebrews/Tribes of Israel)...and WHOOPS, the Tribes/ were not impressed. Yipes, a working man, without pomp, without reputation, without riches.....THEIR MESSIAH??
They for the most part promptly REJECTED Jesus.....as uh, no....he can't be their Messiah.

And at the same time, and probably the FIRST time, (broad scale) Gentiles were being introduced TO: the Christ Messiah of the Jews AND the Jewish God...AND accepting HIM!

They are the babes, the ones with elementary knowledge, the ones having little history with THEE Heavenly God....and MANY Gentiles, even with their little knowledge, leaped into accepting the Lord.

There is that saying...."the first shall be last and the last shall be first"....

Gods Israel was First, First to hear God, First to be taught of God, First to record Gods Word, First to be Saints, First to be revealed the Messiah, First to be taught of Jesus, First to Accept Christ Jesus, First to Witness His Resurrection, (And FIRST to Deny Christ Jesus)....And shall be LAST to be resurrected.

Large scale the Gentiles were the LAST to accept Christ Jesus and God....and the FIRST to Continue in Acceptance, Continue in teaching Christ Jesus, and Scripturally taught, (primarily make up the) the CHURCH of Jesus Christ, and those IN CHRIST, shall BE the FIRST to be resurrected.

Glory to God,
Taken
I agree...but was being facetious referring to Paul, because prism was mocking those who embrace the promise of God to end writing on tablets and eventually write on peoples hearts, as if it was arrogant.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree...but was being facetious referring to Paul, because prism was mocking those who embrace the promise of God to end writing on tablets and eventually write on peoples hearts, as if it was arrogant.

Ok, got ya.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: amadeus

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For those of you who have bought in that crazy notion, can you please describe what is going on in Revelation 6 without looking at it?

"Why can't I look at it?"

"Why?, you said you no longer need the written Word."

Jerry Lucas once claimed to have memorized the entire Bible. Unless one is Jerry, we still need it written down for us. But even Jerry had to have the Bible in order to memorize it.

Reactions: prism

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
there are some here(I won't name names) who belittle God's written words by saying things like it is only for the immature or babes.

Meg church pastor, Andy Stanley, says that Christians need to "unhitch their faith from the Old Testament"! This isn't the first outrageous statement that he has made but it is one likely to do the most damage to the faith of his parishioners.

Reactions: prism

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Meg church pastor, Andy Stanley, says that Christians need to "unhitch their faith from the Old Testament"! This isn't the first outrageous statement that he has made but it is one likely to do the most damage to the faith of his parishioners.
Yes, I've heard him say that with his wily explanation.
It would be much better for the Scriptures to define Jesus rather than Andy Stanley, yet he pastors one of the largest Churches in the United States. It clearly shows what a mess 'Christen-dumb' is in, here in America.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of which contradicts God's plan to spiritualize what is written to be in the heart, or cancels all of what Paul also wrote about walking in the spirit. All of which discussion can only end with you being right or God whom is spirit being right. You pit yourself against God. But He has already stated the end of the matter...and it is not what is written on tablets.
The discussion isn't about a literal vs a metaphorical (aka spiritual) approach to Scripture, but rather do you reach a point in your growth where God's Word is no longer needed in it's written form? Think Ps 119, where every 8th verse starts with a Hebrew letter and the whole Psalm revolves around God's Word, commandments, statutes, precepts etc. etc. etc. So much for hiding God's Word in our hearts.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You kid yourself: If it was against "those" [persons], it was indeed "personal." And now you admit it was an "attack."

But "belittling" is also your word. Which is surely an exaggeration out of your own personal prejudice. If you can quote someone using that term, do so. Meanwhile, the actual thing that has been going on here on the forums is the opposite of "belittling." On the contrary, we glorify the word of God in the same way that He Himself has promised to do - which is in spirit. You [apparently] and those who oppose the idea of pressing on in the spirit and following Christ in the way of the Spirit, do on the other hand, belittle the word of God as if He had not promised to see it past its form of being written on tablets.

You are guilty of your own accusation.
Do you understand the difference between an attack and a personal attack? (Hint: I'll attack the fraudulent theology of a person, but I won't insult them personally.)
But if you want to turn this thread into a personal ping pong match I am not interested.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The discussion isn't about a literal vs a metaphorical (aka spiritual) approach to Scripture, but rather do you reach a point in your growth where God's Word is no longer needed in it's written form? Think Ps 119, where every 8th verse starts with a Hebrew letter and the whole Psalm revolves around God's Word, commandments, statutes, precepts etc. etc. etc. So much for hiding God's Word in our hearts.
It is the form of how and where the word of God is written that changes. When that time comes when it is in on one's heart, nothing is lost, but gained.

But you have not explained why you would be critical of such a change.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you understand the difference between an attack and a personal attack? (Hint: I'll attack the fraudulent theology of a person, but I won't insult them personally.)
But if you want to turn this thread into a personal ping pong match I am not interested.
It was I who had to point out to you that YOU were the one who have "personally" attacked "those" mature spiritual Christians, slandering them with accusations of "belittling the scriptures." You could have said "it" is this or that, but you did not, you said "those", meaning persons.

So, to answer your question: Yes, I know very well the difference between an attack and a personal attack. But apparently, you do not.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the form of how and where the word of God is written that changes. When that time comes when it is in on one's heart, nothing is lost, but gained.

But you have not explained why you would be critical of such a change.
What change? Where God writes His nature on our hearts? I'm not opposed to that since it has happened to me, but I still find that God's written Word is essential.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was I who had to point out to you that YOU were the one who have "personally" attacked "those" mature spiritual Christians, slandering them with accusations of "belittling the scriptures." You could have said "it" is this or that, but you did not, you said "those", meaning persons.

So, to answer your question: Yes, I know very well the difference between an attack and a personal attack. But apparently, you do not.
Last time, I did not direct my statement to any specific individual, just a group...hence, not personal. Ping pong is over for me.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What change? Where God writes His nature on our hearts? I'm not opposed to that since it has happened to me, but I still find that God's written Word is essential.
There is nothing wrong with that...for a while that is.

But when one is fully grown he should put away childish things. And when we know in full by the perfection of God, that which we once only knew in part...is done away with. 1 Corinthians 13:10 All of which is according to the word and promise of God. But it is not written that we should remain in the milk of His word forever.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last time, I did not direct my statement to any specific individual, just a group...hence, not personal. Ping pong is over for me.
And you think it is better that you came against "a group" you call "mature spiritual Christians", rather than just one individual?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with that...for a while that is.

But when one is fully grown he should put away childish things. And when we know in full by the perfection of God, that which we once only knew in part...is done away with. 1 Corinthians 13:10 All of which is according to the word and promise of God. But it is not written that we should remain in the milk of His word forever.
No one is talking about the milk of the Word. Do you consider Revelation 6 the milk of the Word? Do you have a full grasp on it?
This view of putting away childish things, having it refer to God's Word is poor hermeneutics as Paul is not referring to God's Word but our maturity.

You cited
(1Co 13:10) But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
which again has nothing to do with Scripture but when we shall see Jesus face to face.
(1Co 13:12) For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Don't you see that your use of Scripture to downplay Scripture is self defeating?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you think it is better that you came against "a group" you call "mature spiritual Christians", rather than just one individual?
I didn't say it was better, I said it wasn't personal. Personal attacks are not nice, but I can't help it if someone takes offense at a general statement not aimed at them.
If I said 'most theological liberals are heretics' and someone interjects themselves into that statement and takes offense...what am I supposed to do, shut up or only say positive sweet nothings about a group? As Christians we are to expose false teachings, especially from groups.

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk