Milk and meat

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
The Bible talks about the Milk of the Word and the Meat of the Word.

Who has some take on the differance and the application of them both?

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Milk and Meat,,,

Milk example,,,,

Jesus died on the cross for your sins. What you should and should do, basics, like the 10 comandments. That type of stuff.

Meat example,,,,

Prophecy, gifts of the spirit, Interpreting and understanding how the Bible relates to situations, matters dealing with demons and the like. Moving forward and past your basic understanding of who God is and who you are.

See, there's some subjects that are way to deep for many new believers and they can become overwhelmed and confused quickly. Somethings can even be terrifying for them.
Someone else may have a better example.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible talks about the Milk of the Word and the Meat of the Word.

Who has some take on the differance and the application of them both?

Milk - doctrine

Meat - application

Joshua David

Feb 10, 2011
Milk and Meat,,,

Milk example,,,,

Jesus died on the cross for your sins. What you should and should do, basics, like the 10 comandments. That type of stuff.

Meat example,,,,

Prophecy, gifts of the spirit, Interpreting and understanding how the Bible relates to situations, matters dealing with demons and the like. Moving forward and past your basic understanding of who God is and who you are.

See, there's some subjects that are way to deep for many new believers and they can become overwhelmed and confused quickly. Somethings can even be terrifying for them.

I think you hit it right on the head with that one. I totally agree

Joshua David

religusnut

Oct 19, 2010
Milk - doctrine

Meat - application

Ever thought about the fact that spoiled milk will only make one sick. Spoiled meat will kill.

There are many doctrines out there that are death as well.

Meat of the word is the deeper truths that many people absolutely deny are true.

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
Jesus said ---my meat is to do the fathers will :rolleyes: milk brings us to the will of the father to accomplish the desire(will,meat) :rolleyes: :mellow: he has put upon your heart :rolleyes:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever thought about the fact that spoiled milk will only make one sick. Spoiled meat will kill.

There are many doctrines out there that are death as well.

Meat of the word is the deeper truths that many people absolutely deny are true.

Actually, spoiled milk makes cheese, yogurt and chocolate milk.

Living on milk as a Christian is the incomplete gospel - it is all the book-knowledge without application.

Meat is the experience of living out what we have learned from the Bible - it is the faith gained from experience living out our sanctification.

A young Christian will provide a verse to a person in need - the verse is true, but not necessarily helpful in it's raw form

A mature Christian will provide love, which he learned from the same verse.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Actually, spoiled milk makes cheese, yogurt and chocolate milk.

Living on milk as a Christian is the incomplete gospel - it is all the book-knowledge without application.

Meat is the experience of living out what we have learned from the Bible - it is the faith gained from experience living out our sanctification.

A young Christian will provide a verse to a person in need - the verse is true, but not necessarily helpful in it's raw form

A mature Christian will provide love, which he learned from the same verse.

You forgot aged beef! :lol:

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said ---my meat is to do the fathers will :rolleyes: milk brings us to the will of the father to accomplish the desire(will,meat) :rolleyes: :mellow: he has put upon your heart :rolleyes:

I totally agree!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Milk and Meat,,,

Milk example,,,,

Meat example,,,,

I must concur, WhiteKnuckle nailed it. The only thing I might add is this...

Rev 3:7-8
7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith He That is holy, He That is true, He That hath the key of David, He that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept My word, and hast not denied My name.
(KJV)

Like our Lord Jesus said, continuing in His Word means becoming His disciples, and you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free (John 8:31-32).

That's what the open door that no man can shut is about. Once you know, no one can take the Truth from you, nor deceive you (unless you willinging allow it).

It then means to be able to understand what He said with the rest of His Message to the Church of Philadelphia...

Rev 3:9-11
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
10 Because thou hast kept the word of My patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
(KJV)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all prophesy points to Jesus; His life; His ministry; His death; His Ressurection.......

Prophesy is over.......now we wait!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
His Life, Death, and Resurrection!

All prophesy pointed to this!

What about this instance?
And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. Acts 19:6

I agree that all true prophecy points to Christ but I wouldn't restrict it to just His life and death in the flesh and His resurrection. Don't you regard the book of Rev. as a prophetic writing?

The HolySpirit was not even poured out until after Christ's resurrection. So why would Paul explain the gift of prophesy to believers? Did it cease before it started?
smile.gif

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about this instance?
And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. Acts 19:6

I agree that all true prophecy points to Christ but I wouldn't restrict it to just His life and death in the flesh and His resurrection. Don't you regard the book of Rev. as a prophetic writing?

The HolySpirit was not even poured out until after Christ's resurrection. So why would Paul explain the gift of prophesy to believers? Did it cease before it started?
smile.gif

Paul is waiting eagerly for Christ's return....just like us! Besides.....Revelation was not written yet,,,,,Nero the Beast was yet to come......

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
all prophesy points to Jesus; His life; His ministry; His death; His Ressurection.......

Prophesy is over.......now we wait!

Perhaps by this you mean the creation and canonization of the scripture. Your statement is generic.

There are several meanings to the word prophesy.

The secular meaning of prophecy is a lot like a fortune cookie. It tickles the mind and sweetens the mouth, but doesn't really do or mean anything.
The real thing is somewhat different.

The primary meaning is the spoken word. O.T. prophets, for example, spoke the word of God to the people of the nation of Israel.
Generally the word was repentance for sin, reminders to focus on God and to deal kindly with one another.
Prophetic utterance also includes future events, but with the caveat that our behavior must change in relation to what God expects.
It is never meant to be used as a chronicle of events, like the almanac in Back To The Future.

The purpose of futuristic utterance is to clarify God's intent and action BEFORE He does it. Why? So that we'll know HIS actions and purpose.

The pattern is usually a series of utterances or 'prophecies' over a period of decades. There is usually a statement of what man is doing wrong, how God feels about it and what He intends to do if the human behavior isn't corrected. As time goes by and behavior isn't changed the warnings grow more severe and intense. When the human situation is irreversable, God acts. When He does, it is very very clear that the events are His doing and not circumstantial.

For example, Jesus was in Jerusalem one day when folks asked Him if a collapsed tower in a nearby town was divine judgment. Two men had been killed. Jesus said that it wasn't, but that if any of the listeners that day didn't repent something worse would happen. There had been no repeated divine warnings of intent regarding that incident. Therefore it was only an accident, one of those things.

The recent disaster in Japan is like that. Some people have already asked if it was a judgment of God. According to the Biblical template of warnings that preceed judgment, it was not. There were no warnings from heaven (none for Japan, that I know about). On the other hand, there have been a legion of prophetic warnings about America, but that is a subject for another thread.

Although the modern focus of prophetic expectance is on futurism, I don't believe inspired prophecy has changed at all. There is still great need for the spoken words of repentance, Godly attention and for mutual charity. If the name of Jesus is prominent in a speech, then the spirit of prophecy will engage the speaker and the audience. Wonderful things can be expected to happen at that meeting.

Biblical spiritual prophecy isn't dead. Not by a long shot.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Matt 5:18
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
(KJV)

2 Pet 3:10
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
(KJV)

Those who want to think all Bible prophecy has already been fulfilled today might as well say there is no second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, for that's still an unfulfilled Bible prophecy. Afterall, it's those who don't want Christ to return in literal judgment against today's world that want us to believe all has been fulfilled already. It's because they want things as they are now to continue. But those those are going to have a rude awakening coming at the day of The LORD.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Paul is waiting eagerly for Christ's return....just like us! Besides.....Revelation was not written yet,,,,,Nero the Beast was yet to come......
This is my point, if Christ had already resurrected / ascended and then between 35-57 years latter John writes the book "The Unveiling Of Jesus Christ" ( Revelation) your earlier premise that "prophecy has stopped" is flawed. The spiritual gifts are still working with evidence for those who don't resist the Helper.
smile.gif