Ministering Spirits ignored

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've noticed in recent threads many Trinitarian Christians ignore the involvement of the Angels in Genesis 1-3.

Why is that?

Genesis 1:26

The plural noun Elohim is sometimes used with a singular verb and on other occasion's, with a plural verb. The use of both singular and plural verbs in relation to this plural noun is significant. It indicates that though the Elohim are many, and united as one, they also are capable of independent decision and action. Nevertheless, the power they exercise, and the glory they manifest, are from One, even Yahweh.

In the verse before us the verb is in the plural, indicating a plurality of agents. The use of the plural pronoun "us" is misunderstood by Trinitarians as supporting their teaching; but there is nothing in its use to denote a trinity of agents any more than any other plurality. The reference to Creation found in Job 38:7 would suggest that the "us" relates to the "morning stars" and "sons of God" who shouted for joy at the glory of Creation.

A similar use of language in relation to the Elohim is found in Genesis 3:22; Genesis 11:7; Isaiah 6:8 and elsewhere.

We have been looking at Genesis 3:22 "Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil."

Already one member here has stumbled over this verse, trying to force Trinitarian interpretation which does not fit the context of sin.

The man could not become as one of the Trinity; but he could become as one of the angels, for it is obvious that they gained their present exalted status through probation.

Christ promised that the approved shall become "equal unto the angels" in the Age to come (Luke 20:36). In Psalms 8:5, the same word Elohim is translated "angels." And a comparison of Numbers 12:8 with Acts of the Apostles 7:38, or of Genesis 32:30 with Hosea 12:3-4, will show that the word Elohim, translated "God" relates to the angels, the representatives of the great Increate.

Having studied the Angels extensively for many years now I am genuinely concerned for the Trinitarian members here that do injustice to the text & role concerning the angels, which only harms their own understanding of the Heavenly Family they aim to be a part of.

I want to make it super clear - the meaning of Genesis 1:26 is that we are made in the image of the Elohim whom the Father used in the work of creation. This understanding is further confirmed by every and all instances where angels are presented in human form.

I don't believe any Christian can in all conscience deny this truth except at the cost of misrepresenting Scripture.

F2F

Last edited:

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've noticed in recent threads many Trinitarian Christians ignore the involvement of the Angels in Genesis 1-3.

Why is that?

The plural noun Elohim is sometimes used with a singular verb and on other occasion's, with a plural verb. The use of both singular and plural verbs in relation to this plural noun is significant. It indicates that though the Elohim are many, and united as one, they also are capable of independent decision and action. Nevertheless, the power they exercise, and the glory they manifest, are from One, even Yahweh.

In the verse before us the verb is in the plural, indicating a plurality of agents. The use of the plural pronoun "us" is misunderstood by Trinitarians as supporting their teaching; but there is nothing in its use to denote a trinity of agents any more than any other plurality. The reference to Creation found in Job 38:7 would suggest that the "us" relates to the "morning stars" and "sons of God" who shouted for joy at the glory of Creation.

A similar use of language in relation to the Elohim is found in Genesis 3:22; Genesis 11:7; Isaiah 6:8 and elsewhere.

We have been looking at Genesis 3:22 "Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil."

Already one member here has stumbled over this verse, trying to force Trinitarian interpretation which does not fit the context of sin.

The man could not become as one of the Trinity; but he could become as one of the angels, for it is obvious that they gained their present exalted status through probation.

Christ promised that the approved shall become "equal unto the angels" in the Age to come (Luke 20:36). In Psalms 8:5, the same word Elohim is translated "angels." And a comparison of Numbers 12:8 with Acts of the Apostles 7:38, or of Genesis 32:30 with Hosea 12:3-4, will show that the word Elohim, translated "God" relates to the angels, the representatives of the great Increate.

Having studied the Angels extensively for many years now I am genuinely concerned for the Trinitarian members here that do injustice to the text & role concerning the angels, which only harms their own understanding of the Heavenly Family they aim to be a part of.

I want to make it super clear - the meaning of Genesis 1:26 is that we are made in the image of the Elohim whom the Father used in the work of creation. This understanding is further confirmed by every and all instances where angels are presented in human form.

I don't believe any Christian can in all conscience deny this truth except at the cost of misrepresenting Scripture.

F2F
People will see what they desire to see…. because they read what they believe.

In my own studies I am continually vigilant against that …. because we all have the tendency to read what we believe and seek things that substantiate our belief. … which in reality, negates 2Ti 2:15 from being approved unto God to being approved to ourself…

Being approved unto God we see how (what we are reading) fits in the verse, in the context (both immediate and remoter), with the entirety of the written Word of God…. and any other considerations pertinent to our understanding….. which could be grammatical, figure of speech, whom it’s addressing …etc. If it contradicts the Word of God anyplace else …we need to take a closer look.

If we are approving to ourselves … it is nothing more than building a religion …which is what man thinks of God.

As you stated …Elohim in Gen1:1 is a plural intensive…. which is always used with a singular verb or adjective….. “created” in 1:1 is that verb.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No mention of Angels.
Why is that?

F2F
If God didn't create you who did?

Gen 1 God said let US make man in OUR image according to OUR likeness.

Just like the NT says. They didn't baptize in the Name of the Father. They baptized in the Name of Jesus!

Matthew 28
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the NAME (SINGULAR) of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Acts 2
38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins;

Father, Son and Holy Spirit are SINGULAR!

Jesus is God!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I get people will see what they see, but surely there comes a time when you get a verse as clear as Genesis 3:22 where the possibilities cannot be anything but Angels speaking.

How can they believe A&E could ever become part of the Trinity? Or, for that matter imply their Trinity can experience evil and sin? I mean, it's as though the text no longer matters, and they will force upon an understanding at their will and pleasure? If not, ignore it because it doesn't fit!

What frustrates me is how do you communicate that Yahweh Elohim in that verse and within the broader context is speaking to the Angels and their work in creation and the training of the first pair.

Does the Trinitarian actually believe God was walking in the Garden after their sin? That Adam & Eve could stand in the very presence of Yahweh and His Brilliance? 1 Timothy 6:16 cmp Genesis 3:8

Do they explain this away? and how can you?

The damage they do to John 1 appears to be equally as severe as Genesis 1 - 3

For once I'd love an honest trinitarian come out and say "I dont know" how my doctrine fits those verses. It would be refreshing at the least to have that.

F2F

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get people will see what they see, but surely there comes a time when you get a verse as clear as Genesis 3:22 where the possibilities cannot be anything but Angels speaking.
Where does it say "angels"?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It might be me but the work of Creation here Genesis 2:2 we find that Yahweh Elohim rested

"And He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made"

Of course God or His Angels do not get weary as per Isaiah 40:28 and needs no rest. The work was finished and being completed the Elohim ceased from their labours.

The important point, which I believe this is making; this idea of resting, is to highlight that rest being broken by sin.

Which as a result meant the Elohim were sent back to work as per Hebrews 1:14. Actually, to prove this we have the words of Jesus who being accused of breaking the sabbath said "My Father works, and I work" (John 5:17).

Sin having been committed, the Father's rest was broken, and through the Elohim, and later the Lord Jesus, He commenced again to labour on behalf of His family.

When we consider the reality of this it once again highlights God's compassion and mercy, as Yahweh, Elohim and the Lord Jesus Christ these past 2000 years have been laboring for us to enter that future Kingdom rest.

tbc.

Reactions: Wrangler

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d

Jesus understood the important role of the Angels in being the outworking of the Power of God on earth and going even further than this, he warned us that the angels behold the very face of God. Of course, they are ministering spirits who do His good pleasure, but needless to say, they manifest God's Power and Characteristics perfectly. Matthew 18:10

As Gabriel in Luke 1:19.

Also understand the sympathetic understanding of the “angel of His presence” (Heb: “face”) in Isaiah 63:9 (@Earburner that verse was especially for you ;) )

The point being made, is we like them, are servants of the Living God and it is the Angels who are sent forth to those “heirs of salvation”, yet they are never away from the presence of the Father.

As we work through Genesis you will see how important they are in helping us toward being saved.

F2F

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Understanding we are made in the image of the Elohim is an important step to appreciating the Masters teaching concerning angels.

Matthew 18:10 is actually really insightful.

Jesus states “Take heed” “Beware” - especially in light of their exalted position!

“Their angels” in Hebrews 1:14, encamp around the “poor man” as per Psalms 34:6-7.

Jacob’s angel Genesis 48:16
Daniel’s angel Daniel 10:21-23
Peter’s angel Acts of the Apostles 12:15

And so on...we should never underestimate their position, responsibility and activity in our lives.

And yes @Earburner they are loved and do love!

They are God's eyes and ears...as we also will be when we become like them perfectly in their image and after their likeness. Luke 20:36; Job 38:7 (sons of God!)

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't. I have been saved by an angel more than once and I have an angel guarding my home. So do not generalise.
In relation to Genesis 1 to 3. Did you read me right?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In Genesis 3:8 we have the Elohim this time walking in the Garden

Check out what is written "And they heard the voice of Yahweh Elohim walking in the garden"

A "voice" does not "walk." :contemplate:

However, is frequently rendered "sound," and is so in this place in the other versions

It is used elsewhere of the sound of footsteps (2 Samuel 5:24; 2 Kings 6:32), and doubtless that is what is intended here.

Adam and Eve heard the sound of the approaching angel, and being sadly conscious of their sin, they experienced fear.

Why use the covenant name of Yahweh?

The reader is reminded that the Divine Covenant with man has been broken by Adam - now I'm needing to stress it was NOT the Eternal Father Himself who appeared to man, but His representative as in Exodus 23:20.

Yahweh Himself dwells in unapproachable light, and has never been seen by mortal man (1 Timothy 6:16).

Again, the Trinitarian has nowhere to run here - no twisting of text, or forcing of non Scriptural notions - like Genesis 3:22, we have a text, which forces the Trinitarian to see, that firstly, Elohim represents the Angelic Host & the Father (No Christ!!!) and that man was made in the image & likeness of the Elohim.

Elohim here were responsible for teaching the first pair and for their discipline as we shall see.

1 Timothy 6:16 is literally an impossible text for the Trinitarian's to circumnavigate.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Genesis 3:22 has more to give us concerning the Elohim

When A&E broke God's command they became sinprone, death-doomed creatures.

But how did the eating of the fruit of the tree cause them to "know" experimentally a measure of "good" unknown to them whilst in innocence?

"To know good and evil"

Well, previously to their sin there had been no basis of comparison!

The witness of "good" was all around them. Their sin would introduce them to evil, and cause good to show up in sharper contrast.

Their eyes had been opened to discern the difference, which had not been possible when they had experienced only the one. They realised that they were no longer in a state of innocence, and now required a covering; but they were ignorant of what was required in that regard.

The eating of the forbidden fruit brought home to them certain facts that it was "good" for them to know, whilst causing them to recognise the "evil" consequences of their action.

This is why Trinitarian's who even force God into this text is fruitless and destroys the import of it's meaning.

So what do we learn about this situation?

(1) The verse is in the context of sin and understanding the reality of "good and evil" it brought home the reality of sin, and of the punishment that followed
(2) It showed that the thinking of flesh is ignorant of the Word of God and sin will lead you astray.
(3) It made more evident that man is now dependent upon mercy, forgiveness and grace of God....divine qualities that God expects forgiven man to manifest towards his fellows brothers and sister (see Matthew 5:44-45; Romans 5:8).
(4) It demonstrated man's need of God: the necessity for him to manifest humility, faith, loyalty, obedience etc.

@Earburner it has not gone unnoticed your silence in this thread and I only hope wisdom will conquer the resistance you have for its truth. Man made in the image and likeness of the Elohim offers you a wonderful insight into the origins story and His Works.

F2F

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why is that?

F2F
Since you vacated the "kitchen" of the "A Form of godliness" room, you should know that it's going to get just as "hot" over here, as over there.
Come back and finish your plate before you leave the table. There a few more morsals that you need to take in and digest.

I'm sure I will become involved over here, but probably not to your liking.

Do you understand the word Binitarian?
I see nothing of a "Trinity", but I do see "two" as being all that is required, in order to see things "plural", that being for the words "us" and "our".

In His Peace,
Earburner :)

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Earburner it has not gone unnoticed your silence in this thread and I only hope wisdom will conquer the resistance you have for its truth. Man made in the image and likeness of the Elohim offers you a wonderful insight into the origins story and His Works.
In 1975, the Wisdom of God did conquer my resistance to the truth, who is Jesus. Proverbs 8, John 14:6.

Through a vision given to me, concerning the books of Timothy, I came to the Lord for the forgiveness of sin, and did receive the Spirit of Christ, in whom the Spirit of the Father being within Him, came also, taking up their permanent residence within me.
John 14:23, Romans 8:8-9.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is as it should be. Genesis 1 & 2 is about creation and the focus is strictly on Christ the Creator, who with the Father and the Holy Spirit created all things (including angels). While angels were created very early on, they simply stood by and rejoiced in God's creation.

Genesis 3 is about the Fall, and here Jesus comes personally to deal with Adam and Eve. "The LORD God" (Yahweh Elohim) is in fact Jesus before He became Jesus of Nazareth. But since you reject His deity, you will always remain confused.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why is that?

F2F
Doesn't say nor imply angels. Why are you? Are you saying Satan may have created you? That might explain why you're trying to rewrite our Bible.

Last edited:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 3:22, we have a text, which forces the Trinitarian to see, that firstly, Elohim represents the Angelic Host & the Father (No Christ!!!) and that man was made in the image & likeness of the Elohim.

Elohim here were responsible for teaching the first pair and for their discipline as we shall see.

1 Timothy 6:16 is literally an impossible text for the Trinitarian's to circumnavigate.
No Christ?? What did you think the symbolic Tree of Life is? A literal fruit tree?

1 Timothy 6:14-16
By the Spirit of Jesus, having God the Father dwelling within Him, it fully describes the Godhead of God the Father and His Son together, as being One IN Holy Spirit.

[14].....until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
[15] Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;[16] Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen

Jesus Himself is that Immortal Potentate King of kings, and Lord of lords.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then, if one sees the Tree of Life in Revelation 2:7 and 22:2,14, it's a literal fruit tree?
Rev. 2
[7] He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.
Rev. [23]2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
[14] Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

The Amillennial spiritual view (not religious church-ianity's version) is, each and everyone who has put their faith in Jesus Christ, and has been born again of His Spirit, they have become and are overcomers, while still in their flesh, living life in and through His Spirit.

All of such NOW, have right to the Tree of Life (ToL), who is Jesus within us, making us to be partakers of the Divine nature.
2 Peter 1:4

The ToL (Jesus) bears the fruit/character of His Holy Spirit through each and every born again believer, which is symbolized as being the "leaves" on the ToL. It is through us, the leaves, that the nations are being healed/restored unto God for their salvation, for all who hear and come to Him through faith in Jesus.

This is NOT some fictitious future event after Jesus' Glorious and fiery return. This has been happening ever since Pentecost, which is the Age of God's Grace.

Last edited:

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Christ?? What did you think the symbolic Tree of Life is? A literal fruit tree?

1 Timothy 6:14-16
By the Spirit of Jesus, having God the Father dwelling within Him, it fully describes the Godhead of God the Father and His Son together, as being One IN Holy Spirit.

[14].....until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:
[15] Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;[16] Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen

Jesus Himself is that Immortal Potentate King of kings, and Lord of lords.

I am not trying to prove or disprove anything but the verses you quote in Timbo 6:13-16 actually do the opposite of what you are trying to proclaim **

I assume you are using the KJV (which I do also) and they have a tendency to put a trinitarian slant in many areas. Right or wrong…. it is not up to them (KJV) or us to slant one way or the other…. We just see how the Bible fits together and believe the divine revelation given to the men of God…. God will tell us what He wants us to know so we don’t have to guess or squeeze scripture to see what we believe.

Regarding the King of Kings Lord of Lords

Ezr 7:12 – Artaxerxes is called King of Kings by Nebuchadnezzar

Eze 26:7 – God calls Nebuchadnezzar King of Kings…. and again in Dan 2:37. And Nebuchadnezzar called Daniel a God of gods.

Neither of those make Nebuchadnezzar Jesus …or Daniel God.
Likewise, because the same title is used for two individuals does not mean they are somehow one being.

While the title King of Kings and Lord of Lords is attributed to Christ it is an ascription… assigned to the greatest of the best. In the Semitic languages the genitive case was often used to express the fact that something was the best.

In today’s vernacular we may use the G.O.A.T. or even something similar such as the “sale of all sales” the “catch of all catches” … etc

Several of the other versions are more accurate in their layout…. I have included two along with the Peshitta.

NIV

1Ti 6:11
But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

1Ti 6:13 In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you 14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,

1Ti 6:15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

NASB95

1Ti 6:13
I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who testified the good confession before Pontius Pilate,

1Ti 6:14 that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,

1Ti 6:15 which He will bring about at the proper time—He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.

Peshitta (from Aramaic) (500 A.D.) verses 13-16

I charge you in the presence of God, the giver of life to all, and before Jesus Christ, who gave a good testimony before Pontius Pilate that you obey this charge without spot and without stain until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, who is to be revealed in his due time.

Blessed and almighty God, the king of king and Lord of Lords who alone has immortality dwelling in light which no man can approach, and whom no man has seen, nor can see; to him be honor and dominion forever and ever Amen.

**The reason these verses do not support your trinity theory is because there are clearly two beings involved: God and Jesus Christ. God is the blessed and only ruler whom no one has seen….and He will bring about Christ’s return. If they were relating to the triune, the verses would not differentiate between the two.