My agnostic friend says: "I don't need it." - How would you respond?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the goal is take action on things that do good for our fellow man and further God's will.

It may become pointless to preach the word in today's era where people have no love for truth and no appreciation or respect for wisdom.

Many today hate the Truth that is God, and love Lies that come from Satan the Father of Lies.

There is no good that can be done for them by sharing the Word.
If they reject it then move on . That was indeed the command of the LORD JESUS . if you speak the word of the gospel
to anyone and they just reject it do not remain yoked up , move on .

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Space_Karen

Oct 1, 2022
west coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If they reject it then move on . That was indeed the command of the LORD JESUS . if you speak the word of the gospel
to anyone and they just reject it do not remain yoked up , move on .

Everyone has heard of Jesus and christianity.

There is no longer a need to advertise.

What is needed are good representatives of Christ.

Who apply the teachings to their own life.

Good representatives of Christ are what we lack.

The best way to promote christianity is to be a good example of it.

This is what we struggle with the most.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My agnostic friend acknowledges that some people need something, like religion, to help them get along in life.
He considers himself to be in the group that doesn't need something, like religion, to help him get along in life.

I think this is his polite way of saying, crutches are fine for those who need them, but he doesn't need one.
Ironically, he walks using a cane. - LOL

Humor aside, how would you respond? Why do we need a relationship with God?
Or, more to the point, why does he need a relationship with God? Remember, he is agnostic,
so appeals to the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible have little bearing.

He was raised Lutheran, baptized and confirmed in the church.
Stopped going to church at some point. Married a Catholic woman that was also estranged from the church.
Which ended in a nasty divorce which nearly destroyed my friend. I have been an important support for him.
He is now remarried to a Protestant Christian who is also estranged from the church, but has a relationship with God.

/ cc: @ChristisGod @mailmandan @Lizbeth @quietthinker @amadeus @David in NJ @Hillsage @Lambano @Peterlag @marks @1stCenturyLady @St. SteVen
A crutch is totally insufficient to supply relief for the ailments He suffers from. He needs a heart transplant.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my experience the biggest reason why intelligent agnostics reject the faith is not their perception of inadequate evidence for God's existence, but rather their perception that Christianity does not deliver what it promises.
From their observation, there is scant evidence that prayers get convincing answers, that Jesus honors His promises, and that the Holy Spirit really transforms lives. Convince them otherwise, and you are far more likely to gain converts.

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My agnostic friend acknowledges that some people need something, like religion, to help them get along in life.
He considers himself to be in the group that doesn't need something, like religion, to help him get along in life.

I think this is his polite way of saying, crutches are fine for those who need them, but he doesn't need one.
Ironically, he walks using a cane. - LOL

Humor aside, how would you respond? Why do we need a relationship with God?
Or, more to the point, why does he need a relationship with God? Remember, he is agnostic,
so appeals to the existence of God and the reliability of the Bible have little bearing.

He was raised Lutheran, baptized and confirmed in the church.
Stopped going to church at some point. Married a Catholic woman that was also estranged from the church.
Which ended in a nasty divorce which nearly destroyed my friend. I have been an important support for him.
He is now remarried to a Protestant Christian who is also estranged from the church, but has a relationship with God.

/ cc: @ChristisGod @mailmandan @Lizbeth @quietthinker @amadeus @David in NJ @Hillsage @Lambano @Peterlag @marks @1stCenturyLady @St. SteVen
Question, How does he think life began? Through abiogenesis?

Just where does God fit in with his POV?

Reactions: St. SteVen

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, not knowing / understanding why God has allowed wickedness, causes some to question God’s existence.

I was taught the answer to that question, years ago…. It really helped me.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Religion is frightening.

The concept of God is terrifying.

The idea of Someone knowing every thought in your head and emotion in your heart who will someday hold you accountable for every choice you make and judge you accordingly can be paralyzing.

There is a reason I never try to convert anyone.

Its too much responsibility for me, unless I feel strongly called to do it.
Heaven
(Which I do not)
Why be frightened of a God who died in your place and thought heaven not worth holding on to without you in it?

Reactions: Lambano

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question, How does he think life began? Through abiogenesis?

Just where does God fit in with his POV?
Science explains creation for him.
He believes in the possibility of God, but there is no way to know for sure.

As we know, belief requires faith. My friend requires more than that.

I keep coming back to the idea of a personal revelation of God being the most convincing evidence.
Most can't rely on the revelation of others. Can't say that I blame them.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, not knowing / understanding why God has allowed wickedness, causes some to question God’s existence.

I was taught the answer to that question, years ago…. It really helped me.
Were you actually satisfied with the answer to that question? Not sure I am.

/

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think if you ask an atheist or agnostic to describe the God they don't believe in, most would describe and repeat what they have heard from Christians. I've been around the traps now for over 45 years, and the God I have heard described by most Christians, I don't believe in either.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if you ask an atheist or agnostic to describe the God they don't believe in, most would describe and repeat what they have heard from Christians. I've been around the traps now for over 45 years, and the God I have heard described by most Christians, I don't believe in either.
Good point.
How do we expect anyone outside of Christianity to understand God when we can't even know, or agree on, what he is like?

Might make a good topic in itself.

/

Reactions: Brakelite

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I keep coming back to the idea of a personal revelation of God being the most convincing evidence.
Most can't rely on the revelation of others. Can't say that I blame them.
Sometimes God does that. But there's nothing you or I can do to make that happen. Maybe the Calvinists were right?

The corollary of not relying on the revelation to others is, some of the personal revelations others testify to make me scratch my head and go "WTF? Are we talking about the same God?"

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes God does that. But there's nothing you or I can do to make that happen. Maybe the Calvinists were right?

The corollary of not relying on the revelation to others is, some of the revelations others testify to make me scratch my head and go "WTF? Are we talking about the same God?"
Right, we can't make that happen.
Actually, no one can come to God unless he draws them. So...

When that happens there is personal revelation. BINGO!
It happens on God's timetable. We can assist that's all.

"Soul-winner" is a sales job for the devil as far as I'm concerned. - LOL

/

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Were you actually satisfied with the answer to that question? Not sure I am.

/
There is a very good satisfactory answer to that question. The study of why does God permit evil, or why do good people suffer and bad people prosper, is called theodicy. It's actually a very interesting study... But there are some screwy theories connected with it that distort the entire thing.
There is one important thing to remember. The whole study is called theodicy... It's about the character of God. I think I've written on this before somewhere in this forum. Your welcome to do a search.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would it take to get your agnostic friend to join this site and start a thread airing all his probing questions?
Then I could engage him in a thread on SDEs, shared death experiences, i. e., experiences where family members of the dying are pulled out of their bodies to travel to reunions through the tunnel at the Being of Light, even sharing the past life reviews of their dying loved one.
Such experiences are more common than he would imagine and contain some of the most compelling evidence for an afterlife.
Several new books have recently been written by doctors on this subject.

Reactions: Wrangler

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would it take to get your agnostic friend to join this site and start a thread airing all his probing questions?
Then I could engage him in a thread on SDEs, shared death experiences, i. e., experiences where family members of the dying are pulled out of their bodies to travel to reunions through the tunnel at the Being of Light, even sharing the past life reviews of their dying loved one.
Such experiences are more common than he would imagine and contain some of the most compelling evidence for an afterlife.
I sent him an email. Let's see how he responds.

/

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
NDEs may be evidence of the supernatural, certainly, but nothing more. Demons can and do imitate dead relatives, speak truths regarding their lives, revealing even "secrets" unknown to anyone else except the participants. But all that is is a deception to take them mind away from Christ. You won't hear any of those "dead relatives" imploring their former family members to accept Christ as their Saviour. You won't hear anyone them talking about repentance and forsaking sin. You will hear a great deal about how wonderful everything is and how joyous and peaceful it is. They are lies. The dead know nothing, not do they praise the Lord or have anything at all to do with what goes on here on earth.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NDEs may be evidence of the supernatural, certainly, but nothing more. Demons can and do imitate dead relatives, speak truths regarding their lives, revealing even "secrets" unknown to anyone else except the participants. But all that is is a deception to take them mind away from Christ. You won't hear any of those "dead relatives" imploring their former family members to accept Christ as their Saviour. You won't hear anyone them talking about repentance and forsaking sin. You will hear a great deal about how wonderful everything is and how joyous and peaceful it is. They are lies. The dead know nothing, not do they praise the Lord or have anything at all to do with what goes on here on earth.
You don't know what you're talking about. Atheist Howard Storm was converted bv His encounter with Jesus during his NDE.
y