My problem, personal yes problem with BORN again

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised in faith, so I don’t know a time that I didn't have faith.
There are events in my life that reinforced my faith.
There is an incredible event that wow how it reinforced my faith, if I have to point to a rebirth this one may be it, BUT
The Holy Spirit has been in me since birth,
Being more mature, being more experienced
Also seeing a lot of conceit around, I AM BORN AGAIN!
I have to ask what is truly being born again?
Because the event that reinforced me, this very spiritual uplifting, this mostly makes want to back totally away from proclaiming I am born again. Yes I am more comfortable than ever before talking Jesus as Lord and Savior. I no longer kringe at be asked to open up about Jesus and faith. More eager to step forwards and lead prayers

Paul a truly born again! Boasted of Jesus Christ, he turns aside any claim of born again as simply a gift ot him from God.

Paraphrasing Paul answer to what he became,
I am poor miserable sinner blest by God to do these things. TO GOD BE THE GLORY! AMEN

My life experience around Born Agains coupled with the result of the experience of faith makes ask where is the Christian HUMILITY in the Born Again boasted by many?

Asking in Christ

Alfredthefifth

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There is an incredible event that wow how it reinforced my faith, if I have to point to a rebirth this one may be it, BUT
Because the event that reinforced me, this very spiritual uplifting, this mostly makes want to back totally away from proclaiming I am born again. Yes I am more comfortable than ever before talking Jesus as Lord and Savior. I no longer kringe at be asked to open up about Jesus and faith. More eager to step forwards and lead prayers

Paul a truly born again! Boasted of Jesus Christ, he turns aside any claim of born again as simply a gift ot him from God.

I am poor miserable sinner blest by God to do these things. TO GOD BE THE GLORY! AMEN

My life experience around Born Agains coupled with the result of the experience of faith makes ask where is the Christian HUMILITY in the Born Again boasted by many?

Asking in Christ

Alfredthefifth
indeed. I am born-again and it's not a boast. It is a fact. Any believer in Christ who has the Holy Spirit dwelling in them is born-again broadlyl

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My life was filled with a lot of hatred and anger towards all people, even hatred towards God and Jesus Christ. The only boast that is given to me as that those are my weaknesses, that there is only strength in Christ, and by Him through the Holy Spirit there is love, and all sorts of other great things found when we look towards God and not so much at our own selves, because with-in our natural selves sin is dominate only unto Christ comes in to a persons life to subdue it and this is an ever going life process until death.

LearningToLetGo

Jun 13, 2022
Western Washington
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago I met Jesus. I didn't expect to meet him. I wasn't looking for him. Yet nonetheless he found me.

When we met, the first thing I realized was my mind had stopped. I lacked the ability to think. The words - the internal dialog - would not come. The second thing I noticed was the awareness. Jesus was aware of everything that was me, even the things that I did not know about myself. He shared that awareness with me. In that moment I saw myself as he sees me. I saw all my failures. I saw all my little white lies, all my excuses. I saw myself as a parent sees a child who just spilled the milk and claims, "The milk spilled!" as if there were no agency involved.

Instinctively I tried to justify myself. I tried to make excuse. But I could not form words, I could not form sentences. My thoughts were paused. All I could do is feel. And feel is what I did.

I dropped to my knees before him. I cried. I told him how sorry I was. I was like a babe lost in the forest. The pain and the sorrow flowed from me. It was cathartic. Then it was over and I was alone.

All this happened before I had ever read the New Testament. This happened before I read scripture or conversed with Christians online or in person. This happened when I was naive of the love of God or of Jesus' commandment to love each other.

Was this a born-again experience? I don't know, but since that day I have sought Jesus, to make him part of my life. To have a profound and meaningful relationship with him. And since that day he has continued to grow me in my faith.

Alfredthefifth

Jul 19, 2022
Greater Tucson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago I met Jesus. I didn't expect to meet him. I wasn't looking for him. Yet nonetheless he found me.

When we met, the first thing I realized was my mind had stopped. I lacked the ability to think. The words - the internal dialog - would not come. The second thing I noticed was the awareness. Jesus was aware of everything that was me, even the things that I did not know about myself. He shared that awareness with me. In that moment I saw myself as he sees me. I saw all my failures. I saw all my little white lies, all my excuses. I saw myself as a parent sees a child who just spilled the milk and claims, "The milk spilled!" as if there were no agency involved.

Instinctively I tried to justify myself. I tried to make excuse. But I could not form words, I could not form sentences. My thoughts were paused. All I could do is feel. And feel is what I did.

I dropped to my knees before him. I cried. I told him how sorry I was. I was like a babe lost in the forest. The pain and the sorrow flowed from me. It was cathartic. Then it was over and I was alone.

All this happened before I had ever read the New Testament. This happened before I read scripture or conversed with Christians online or in person. This happened when I was naive of the love of God or of Jesus' commandment to love each other.

Was this a born-again experience? I don't know, but since that day I have sought Jesus, to make him part of my life. To have a profound and meaningful relationship with him. And since that day he has continued to grow me in my faith.

I can only speak for myself but my wow moment does point the same direction but how can I truly describe it, do words come close, and yet it is so personal, revealing way to much of my inner being, do I dare let anyone else truly in?

And if I dared how can I do that without bragging, boasting or conceit?

Paul's answer is my best answer

I boast Christ Jesus, the crucified and risen savior!

Alfredthefifth

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I can only speak for myself but my wow moment does point the same direction but how can I truly describe it, do words come close, and yet it is so personal, revealing way to much of my inner being, do I dare let anyone else truly in?

And if I dared how can I do that without bragging, boasting or conceit?

Paul's answer is my best answer

I boast Christ Jesus, the crucified and risen savior!

Alfredthefifth
This is something you can only know of yourself on the inside, if you have the witness of the Spirit in your life.
And a good sign is the government of God that works in you on your behalf.

The all things work to the good of them that love God who are called according to His purpose, read Romans 8. This does not mean you slide through life without any trouble at all.
  1. Titus 3:5
    not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. 1 John 3:24
    The Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Error
    Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  3. 1 John 4:13
    By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.
  4. Romans 8:16
    The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Asking in Christ

Alfredthefifth
This is the true reality of being born again of God's Holy Spirit:
When He "knocks" on the door of our life, do we open it and invite Him inside, or do we ignore/neglect to answer, leaving Him outside knocking?
And, if we do the latter, how long does He continue knocking, until He goes away?
Revelation 3:20
John 14:23
Romans 8:8-9

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I remember having very strong faith in Christ Jesus for many years as I was devout and lover reading the Bible nearly every night until I could not see the words, that I had to go to bed, but I would want to read the Word, driven on with the greatness of the Bible being so wonderful, but the body is weak but the Spirit is willing for sure ! that's a fact !
Now I had some doubts in my mind ? but I was willing to stand up for Jesus totally ! So I would say that I was born of the Spirit ? Of the Word ? But one day out of the blue, Bang ! much like Saul was ? I was blown away totally and I knew who Jesus Christ truly was 100% ! such an experience one can not turn back ? you are Saved !
Could Saul of turned his back to God when God talked to him ? no way !!! that's why he became Paul and did all he did in fact. come hell or high water, with absolute conviction ! because he knew that he was on the right path. not to mention what a great man !

Now Saul was on the wrong track, but as Paul he was on the right track. That's not surprising, because he was of this world and as Jesus pointed out that this world is of Deceptions and Delusions ! So Paul was of the Kingdom of God !

Now Jesus disciples had faith in him, but they did not know him ? but they knew who he was truly when he went to Heaven ? so they were then born again in that instant !

Now Bible says that You must be born again !
So how ? well the you must be means this is hoped for ? and one grows in Faith ! and as the parable of the sower such is in fact just that ?
Now one picks up on the word ? I seen such in the Church Bible study of many who had faith, I seen such take hold in them, but then the cares of this world took hold and this is like the weeds grow up and strangle the Word.

So I have met people I had not seen in many years who we went to Bible study with and they have said, Oh you don't still believe all that BS do you ! and I say as a matter of fact I sure do and much more so ! Not to mention I will talk about the Lord Jesus till the cows come home for them, if they are willing to listen. Because even if one did pick up initially way back when, that spark may be still their hiding in the undergrowth and I seen such in fact way back when and I know that their is a chance to restore the spark. and you know what I will go for it ! you know why, because it's the greats Gift to have the Lord Jesus abiding in you. because such a one is not lost and your not alone ! and nothing beats Christ Jesus, Nothing comes close ! There is a song called How Great tho Are, play it, it's true !

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe that you were blessed by a visit from the Holy Spirit....Even The Phillipian Jailer who cried out “ What must I do to be Saved ?” Had the “ Conviction Of Sin” placed in his Heart, or he would never have see the “ NEED” to ask for Salvation in the first place !
It is the Holy Spirit That convicts us of Sin......before your Moment of Truth , you were probably just like me.......you existed in “ The Fool’s Paradise”, never worrying about Heaven or Hell and if you ever “ did” concern yourself with these matters , Satan had “ blinded your eyes” to where you though that even though you were not “ perfect” you were not as bad as those guys in prison , so you were doing fine—- saying to yourself, “ Well, I’m doing the best that I “ can” .....God will surely accept “ me!”.....

You got blessed with your experience—- The HolySpirit finally gave you “ eyes to see” and for the first time in your life you saw your Wretchedness before a Holy God and as a result you ran out of rationalizations and indeed you could not even come up with any words in your defense —- God had finally accomplished what only He could do—— He forced you to “come to and End of yourself” —- your Heart had been made Contrite—— That is the ONLY Heart that God will work with!

As many preacher has said, “ Ya Gotta get ‘em LOST Before you can get ‘em Saved!” God showed you as he did me on a Terrifying Night ( both of us without Preachers! ) That I was Lost and on my way to a deserved Hell like a speeding Bullet....

Once I Truly Saw That , all I did was cry out like the Sinful Tax Collector did —- “ Lord, Have Mercy On me , a Sinner !” ......Don’t ever let somebody tell you that there is no such thing as a “ Sinner’s Prayer”—— That Prayer worked for the Sinful Publican, That Prayer worked for me , and it appears that that Prayer Worked for you...

My night of “ Fear and Trembling” turned out to be the Turning Point in my life....and the BEST thing that ever happened to me! It lead me to Jesus.......I think that those out there who may “call” themselves “Christians” but have not been truly Convicted of their True Lost State before a Holy God have not even reached the “ Starting Gate” Of Christianity.....

“ Nobody comes to God lest the Spirit draw him”...... the Spirit “ draws” men firstly by the Conviction Of Sin......Have you ,dear Reader, had your night of terror and the True Revelation That you , Without Christ in your heart, are nothing more than a Worm— Wretched and Lost and without Hope.....

God showed me what I was —- and all of you that are reading this , if you have not turned to Jesus yet, are no better than me—- God blessed me by showing me my Lost Condition .....once “ that” was accomplished and I asked God to Save me, everything else just kinda had a way of taking care of itself.....

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Obviously your problem with needing to be born again, is that you were born of God from the womb.

I mean, what's boasting of being born again compared to that.

And born OSAS to boot.

There are sinners that attack Paul for preaching against their sinning, and there are sinners that make Paul their chiefest of sinners hero.

Reactions: Alfredthefifth

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Asking in Christ

Alfredthefifth
When I talk about my born again experience, it's to glorify God in his amazing sovereignty, to highlight how it's nothing that I would have done on my own. Sometimes you have a great testimony when you're older and can define the moment God saved you, but I feel it can come with it's disadvantages especially if you weren't like being a "prodigal" and not raised in the faith. Like with me, most of my family do not believe and though I suppose my testimony can be a pretty neat one, I'd much rather not have the misery of conjecturing that my family is outside of Jesus and can die at any time. I'd much rather have a "mundane" testimony and have never known a time when I did not know the Lord, and not be able to point to a specific moment when I was saved.

But it's nothing to boast about, since as you point out it's a gift. I suppose it is right to boast in having the gift, as this seems to be what God reveals we should do when his Spirit, speaking through his servant Paul, says to boast in nothing but the Lord. But not like it's something anyone of us has achieved on our own efforts.

But it appears the grass is always greener. I am thankful the Lord has given me a testimony that glorifies his amazing power, but as I said, I feel it has its disadvantages too. I surely hope it is nothing that I appear to boast about.

Last edited:

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, that appears to be when you were saved. And I wasn't seeking God either when he found me. I'm a skeptic, don't trust hardly anyone and don't believe it unless I see it. Only an absolutely sovereign God can give me the ability to believe upon him. There's just no way I have that ability in myself; my brain just isn't wired that way. I'm just a very unlikely candidate for a Christian. Steeped in self and sin, caught up in the LGBT stuff out there; there's no way I would have turned to God unless he is a truly real power who can change people's lives.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
John 3 , Christ says DO NOT MARVEL that you must be born again. and Christ then explains this is the work of God's Spirit, and the Spirit blows where he wishes, and like the wind which you cannot control, you cannot control the Spirit of God. So being born again is of the Spirit of God, and not of you, not according to your actions, reactions, anything like that, not according to your will were you born of God, you can not make yourself born of God. God adopts you, you do not adopt God. When we have the adoptions as sons, we are become a part of the family of God, and fully accepted by Him in the Beloved. Jesus telling us not to marvel means this is entirely of God and God takes care of it. The fact that we receive Him shows God has already done His work in us because,
  1. John 6:28
    Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
    John 6:29
  2. Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”
John 3
5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

And John 1 gives further confirmation as does Titus 3 of this being the work of God. We are born again according to His mercy alone, as also does Peter say that too. We know what the will of the flesh is, and it is more and more ungodliness....

John 1
12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:
13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Titus 3
4 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared,
5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior,
7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

1 Peter 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When I talk about my born again experience, it's to glorify God in his amazing sovereignty, to highlight how it's nothing that I would have done on my own. Sometimes you have a great testimony when you're older and can define the moment God saved you, but I feel it can come with it's disadvantages especially if you weren't like being a "prodigal" and not raised in the faith. Like with me, most of my family do not believe and though I suppose my testimony can be a pretty neat one, I'd much rather not have the misery of conjecturing that my family is outside of Jesus and can die at any time. I'd much rather have a "mundane" testimony and have never known a time when I did not know the Lord, and not be able to point to a specific moment when I was saved.

But it's nothing to boast about, since as you point out it's a gift. I suppose it is right to boast in having the gift, as this seems to be what God reveals we should do when his Spirit, speaking through his servant Paul, says to boast in nothing but the Lord. But not like it's something anyone of us has achieved on our own efforts.

But it appears the grass is always greener. I am thankful the Lord has given me a testimony that glorifies his amazing power, but as I said, I feel it has its disadvantages too. I surely hope it is nothing that I appear to boast about.
@dhh712 Sometimes you her ppl's testimonies and they almost sound like self-congratulation.......which cannot be right.

I love the hymn: 'Saved for glory', which talks all about grace..........

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Asking in Christ

Alfredthefifth
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. Eph. 2:8-9

It is God's work in you, unmerited, you can't boast.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Asking in Christ

Alfredthefifth

Alfred, the simple truth is that the Holy Spirit has not been in you since birth. He been with you since your rebirth. I am one who believes it is possible very young children can be born again, possible even in the womb, based on John the Baptist leaping for joy in Elizabeths womb. YOur rebirth took place the moment you trusted in teh death and physical resurrection of Jesus as the payment for all your sin.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, there should be none of that--it is all a work of God who gave life to our dead spirits.
@dhh712 It's all of God; all of grace............

"All of grace, yes, grace surpassing,
Such a portion to bestow,
But the love, all knowledge passing,
Grace has taught us now to know.

Love that bore the stripes and sorrow,
Love that suffered on the Tree,
Love that shares the bright tomorrow,
With the loved ones, you and me."

Reactions: Heart2Soul