No one has ever seen God. Really?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
After Jacob wrestled with God in Genesis 32:

30 Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, “It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared.”
This was a theophany of God, a physical manifestation of God.

Jesus declared in John 1:

18 No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known.
The uncreated Son of God has seen the uncreated God.

1 Timothy 6:

16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see.
No one can see the incorporeal essence of God. God is not a created being but we are. We do not have the ability to see the uncreated form of God.

Reactions: Nancy and lforrest

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Timothy 6:

No one can see the incorporeal essence of God. God is not a created being but we are. We do not have the ability to see the uncreated form of God.
I disagree with all the you have said. Kjv acts 7.56..57. Also heb 11.27. There are also 16 other places it talks about seeing God the Father. Matt 5.8 is a good one.

Also. I ask you who is the "faithful and true witness", or "the amen" then Jesus himself tells us truth . Please y'all start reading the Bible instead of believing the pulpit

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Timothy 6:

I agree. Even Moses was said to have seen God "face to face" but he only was allowed to see His back.

"No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known."

A manifestation of God perhaps, but no man could stand before His full glory IMHO.

Did Jacob wrestle God or an angel?

"Jacob wrestling with the angel is described in the Book of Genesis (chapter 32:22–32; also referenced in the Book of Hosea, chapter 12:3–5). The "angel" in question is referred to as "man" (אִישׁ: Ish) and "God" (אֵל: El) in Genesis, while Hosea references an "angel" (מַלְאָךְ: Malakh)."

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Timothy 6:
Knowledge of the Hebrew language informs the verse.

The Hebrew word for see is yada. That word also means know and understand.

1Timothy is expressing the idea that nobody has comprehended the breadth or depth of the Mind of God. I don't think it's trying to say that nobody has put eyes on a physical manifestation of God.

Yada yada yada... (I know, I know, I know)

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Timothy 6:

Hello, As I look at the OP I also see certain scriptures pointing to GOD, such as:

Matthew 1:18-25​

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.

20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,

23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus.

John 14:5-11​

5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
Read full chapter

Love, Walter

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Second book of Enoch, sees God in the 10th heaven and sees his face. The bible points out that the pure of heart shall see God's face.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree. Even Moses was said to have seen God "face to face" but he only was allowed to see His back.

"No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made him known."

A manifestation of God perhaps, but no man could stand before His full glory IMHO.

Did Jacob wrestle God or an angel?

"Jacob wrestling with the angel is described in the Book of Genesis (chapter 32:22–32; also referenced in the Book of Hosea, chapter 12:3–5). The "angel" in question is referred to as "man" (אִישׁ: Ish) and "God" (אֵל: El) in Genesis, while Hosea references an "angel" (מַלְאָךְ: Malakh)."
Well. Just like listening to to pulpit over the actual words of the Bible. We either believe what is written or we have gone astray listening to mans traditions

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well. Just like listening to to pulpit over the actual words of the Bible. We either believe what is written or we have gone astray listening to mans traditions
Do you have anything of substance to add?? You are being VERY presumptuous. Contribute with scripture to back your claims, otherwise it's just your "rude" opinion.

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The trouble with these blogs is that we (even me) don't read thru all the thread so we don't see the things already written.

So rude is either I don't add scripture reference to every post or you don't read the history of the thread: i postulate that both are probably our laziness. But try act 7.55.56.
And Jesus himself stated in matt 11.27.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Timothy 6:

For Jesus to see God as a man would be like seeing himself. ;)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

No one has ever seen God. Really?​

Jesus said it. Whatever else people thought was God, needs understanding in the light of Jesus words
We are told God lives in light unapproachable, that should tell us something.

Jesus tells us he is the only one who has been in intimate contact with God, so basically he is the only one qualified to give us an accurate picture of God's reality.......and if we are prepared to take the words of the writer of the book of Hebrews to heart, he says (Hebrews 1:3) 'The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being.........', that should clarify the question.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowledge of the Hebrew language informs the verse.

The Hebrew word for see is yada. That word also means know and understand.

1Timothy is expressing the idea that nobody has comprehended the breadth or depth of the Mind of God. I don't think it's trying to say that nobody has put eyes on a physical manifestation of God.

Yada yada yada... (I know, I know, I know)
Well said.

IMO, this is the problem with relying on literal translations. The Bible is highly figurative. See means know, etc.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Isaiah see God?

6 In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. 2 Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one called out to another and said,
“Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts,
The whole earth is full of His glory.”
4 And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke. 5 Then I said,
“Woe is me, for I am ruined!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I live among a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.”
(Isaiah 6:1-5)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Similarly, what about Ezekiel?

26 Now above the expanse that was over their heads there was something resembling a throne, like lapis lazuli in appearance; and on that which resembled a throne, high up, was a figure with the appearance of a man. 27 Then I noticed from the appearance of His loins and upward something like glowing metal that looked like fire all around within it, and from the appearance of His loins and downward I saw something like fire; and there was a radiance around Him. 28 As the appearance of the rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the appearance of the surrounding radiance. Such was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell on my face and heard a voice speaking. (Ezekiel 1:26-28)​

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one is cheating:

8 Philip says to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus says to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" (John 14:8-9)​

• Haha

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When You said, “Seek My face,” my heart said to You, “I shall seek Your face, Lord.” (Psalm 27:8)

But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” (Exodus 33:20)

I and I
In creation where one's nature neither honors nor forgives
I and I
One says to the other, "No man sees my face and lives"
(Robert Allen Zimmerman)

I and I AM.

Last edited:

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Did Isaiah see God?

6 In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. 2 Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one called out to another and said,
“Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord of hosts,
The whole earth is full of His glory.”
4 And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke. 5 Then I said,
“Woe is me, for I am ruined!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I live among a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.”
(Isaiah 6:1-5)
Good find :)

Isaiah 6:

1 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up;
This was a vision in Isaiah's brain.

and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
He saw the Lord and some angelic beings in the heavenly realm.

5 And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!”
He was awake. It was not a dream. It was a vision. He saw a spiritual reality in his vision. He saw spiritual forms with his spiritual eyes in a spiritual vision.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Timothy 6:

What of “a new creature” that is neither male nor female, neither bond nor free, neither Jew nor Greek?

There’s a lot of angst to where can we only take the verses that says He dwells alone in the light which no man has seen at anytime except for the Son who dwells in the bosom of the Father, He has declared the Light. “you are not in darkness but in the Light, having passed from death unto Life …so walk you in the Light.” So many verses I think of, for example there was the light but that wasn’t the True Light…but now the True Light has come and people rejected it, men refusing to come to the Light to be reproved because their deeds are evil. An approachable Light… wherefore Christ is the way to the Father(no man comes to the Father but by Me), come boldly therefore before the Throne of God having not fear but trust in His mercy and goodness of the Father. Perfect love cast out fear…of an unapproachable Light? For a way has been revealed to the Father who receives you, a way revealed so approach Him whom is no longer unapproachable. “How will we know the way?” “I have shown you the Way to the Father”. “Be you of the Day and not of the night.” If the light is “unapproachable” still if Christ provided not a way to approach the Father, to come close to that which had been unapproachable…then why “walk you in the Light”? “As I am in the Light” …what of He has raised us up to sit in Heavenly places?

Matthew 18:10 Take heed that you despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.—who is these little ones?

2 Corinthians 3:16-18 But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. [17] Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. [18] And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
Not having seen the Father at anytime seems to have something to do with “a veiled face” but Christ came to removed the “veiled face”

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (Let’s not use the “now, we see through a glass darkly” and forget the “but then, face to face” imo Paul shows the “face to face” in real-time

James 1:23-25 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: [24] For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. [25] But whoso looks into the perfect law of liberty, and continues therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
I see the women that come to the tomb peering in, an action same as “looks into” either beholding our own natural face or Christ who is the perfect Law of Liberty…in He has opened and come out of the tomb!

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What of “a new creature” that is neither male nor female, neither bond nor free, neither Jew nor Greek?

There’s a lot of angst to where can we only take the verses that says He dwells alone in the light which no man has seen at anytime except for the Son who dwells in the bosom of the Father, He has declared the Light. “you are not in darkness but in the Light, having passed from death unto Life …so walk you in the Light.” So many verses I think of, for example there was the light but that wasn’t the True Light…but now the True Light has come and people rejected it, men refusing to come to the Light to be reproved because their deeds are evil. An approachable Light… wherefore Christ is the way to the Father(no man comes to the Father but by Me), come boldly therefore before the Throne of God having not fear but trust in His mercy and goodness of the Father. Perfect love cast out fear…of an unapproachable Light? For a way has been revealed to the Father who receives you, a way revealed so approach Him whom is no longer unapproachable. “How will we know the way?” “I have shown you the Way to the Father”. “Be you of the Day and not of the night.” If the light is “unapproachable” still if Christ provided not a way to approach the Father, to come close to that which had been unapproachable…then why “walk you in the Light”? “As I am in the Light” …what of He has raised us up to sit in Heavenly places?

Matthew 18:10 Take heed that you despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.—who is these little ones?

2 Corinthians 3:16-18 But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. [17] Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. [18] And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
Not having seen the Father at anytime seems to have something to do with “a veiled face” but Christ came to removed the “veiled face”

1 Corinthians 13:12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. (Let’s not use the “now, we see through a glass darkly” and forget the “but then, face to face” imo Paul shows the “face to face” in real-time

James 1:23-25 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: [24] For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. [25] But whoso looks into the perfect law of liberty, and continues therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
I see the women that come to the tomb peering in, an action same as “looks into” either beholding our own natural face or Christ who is the perfect Law of Liberty…in He has opened and come out of the tomb!
Hebrews 10:1 For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the form of those things itself, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually every year, make those who approach perfect.

Approach what?

Hebrews 10:19-22 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the holy place by the blood of Jesus, [20] by a new and living way which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is, through His flesh, [21] and since we have a great priest over the house of God, [22] let’s approach God with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Even with Christ making a way (which He inaugurated for us through the veil, that is through His flesh) to approach the unapproachable… can none still not approach or come near the unapproachable the transformation power of “face to face” God? Is the Light of Christ where Christ dwells alone in the bosom of the Father yet …He dwells alone in the unapproachable Light? Then what of “for where I am, so there (with Me)you shall be also?” This isn’t with Him in the unapproachable Light of the bosom of the Father? John 17:23-24 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me. [24] Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

Last edited: