No unity ever

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be so nice if we could just set aside our beliefs and just open our eyes to what others are saying. Instead of being offended they have the nerve to say something we do not agree with.

sadly I have been in forums where catholics are banned if they try to push their doctrines and I was invited to a catholic forum where I said I believed the gates of hell was not an offensive weapon used by Satan to destroy the church but a defensive weapon used by him to keep the church from rescuing people from his grasp And freeing them, and was immediately banned as an anti catholic

even in here, there are people from all sides who are offended and come out screaming and attacking anyone who disagrees with them, you have your defenders of the Catholic Church, the Protestant church, the calvinists the Baptist’s etc etc who cannot year what others are saying because they are on the defense mode, and this is sad.

I agree with @Heart2Soul it would be nice (I was not fast enough to post on that thread) but sadly, after visiting chatrooms for many years, I do not see it happening unless the mods really crack down.

but then who do they punish, the angry catholic or calvinist who feels attacked, or the person who is disagreeing with them and trying to explain why he believes the way he does. And then
gets out of hand because he feels no one is listening to him and he is continually attacked? So he starts attacking back

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would be so nice if we could just set aside our beliefs and just open our eyes to what others are saying. Instead of being offended they have the nerve to say something we do not agree with.

sadly I have been in forums where catholics are banned if they try to push their doctrines and I was invited to a catholic forum where I said I believed the gates of hell was not an offensive weapon used by Satan to destroy the church but a defensive weapon used by him to keep the church from rescuing people from his grasp And freeing them, and was immediately banned as an anti catholic

even in here, there are people from all sides who are offended and come out screaming and attacking anyone who disagrees with them, you have your defenders of the Catholic Church, the Protestant church, the calvinists the Baptist’s etc etc who cannot year what others are saying because they are on the defense mode, and this is sad.

I agree with @Heart2Soul it would be nice (I was not fast enough to post on that thread) but sadly, after visiting chatrooms for many years, I do not see it happening unless the mods really crack down.

but then who do they punish, the angry catholic or calvinist who feels attacked, or the person who is disagreeing with them and trying to explain why he believes the way he does. And then
gets out of hand because he feels no one is listening to him and he is continually attacked? So he starts attacking back

Ah, what to do, what to do...maybe some whole threads should come down if it gets real ugly...and as you know, they can!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If we are all basing our sense of unity on our perceived spiritual experiences, that unity will be non-existant. If someone thinks that they have had some experience that sets them apart from others this too works directly against unity. Or that they think sets them over others.

We come to a real unity in the faith and knowledge of Christ. Something all have access to. But only to the degree that we will submit ourselves to God including submitting ourselves to His Word, the Bible.

We have to find our unity in Christ and not in ourselves, as we are all very different. But by the Spirit within us we are one. We should start living that way!
Amen!!
Much love!

And that seems to be the problem indeed.... According to your first paragraph... that would mean the Catholics are NOT in UNION with other Christian denominations on the basis of believing they are the ONE true Church.

Then you have Christians who believe God elected His chosen... and that some are created for damnation. ( Calvinism )

Then you have those who believe you can lose your salvation. ( Legalism )

These are no small potatoes... These are wedge causing beliefs... How can we be in union with someone who believes absolutely the opposite of what we do.... IS simply believing in Christ as our Saviour the ONLY essential of being a Christian?

I am just as guilty as the next person for not contributing to the cause of UNITY... I do not believe it exists .. except in small pockets of like-minded believers. I have looked for this unity that I absolutely thought would come naturally when I became a Christian... and twenty years later... I still have not found it.

I am of the belief that the LABELS people stand by and accept are a large part of the problem... and the fact that people's definition on how to love others seems to vary greatly.

If a Catholic... a Lutheran... a Non-denominational ... and a Pentecostal all went to a soup kitchen to feed the poor... they would all have a glorious time doing the WORK of CHRIST together.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is an oversimplification, there were other things that played a part down through time.
We know from history that the bishop of Rome sought to be supreme among all the others because of his ambition. Thus began the divisions, which then led to the Reformation and its aftermath.

"...After the council [of Chalcedon], the Roman bishop, Leo, himself protested in three letters of the 22d May, 452; the first of which was addressed to the emperor Marcian, the second to the empress Pulcheria, the third to Anatolius, patriarch of Constantinople.515

He expressed his satisfaction with the doctrinal results of the council, but declared the elevation of the bishop of Constantinople to the patriarchal dignity to be a work of pride and ambition—the humble, modest pope!—to be an attack upon the rights of other Eastern metropolitans—the invader of the same rights in Gaul!—especially upon the rights of the Roman see guaranteed by the council of Nice—on the authority of a Roman interpolation—and to be destructive of the peace of the church—which the popes have always sacredly kept!

He would hear nothing of political considerations as the source of the authority of his chair, but pointed rather to Divine institution and the primacy of Peter. Leo speaks here with great reverence of the first ecumenical council, under the false impression that that council in its sixth canon acknowledged the primacy of Rome; but with singular indifference of the second ecumenical council, on account of its third canon, which was confirmed at Chalcedon.

He charges Anatolius with using for his own ambition a council, which had been called simply for the extermination of heresy and the establishment of the faith. But the canons of the Nicene council, inspired by the Holy Ghost, could be superseded by no synod, however great; and all that came in conflict with them was void. He exhorted Anatolius to give up his ambition, and reminded him of the words: Tene quod habes, ne alius accipiat coronam tuam.516

But this protest could not change the decree of the council nor the position of the Greek church in the matter, although, under the influence of the emperor, Anatolius wrote an humble letter to Leo. The bishops of Constantinople asserted their rank, and were sustained by the Byzantine emperors. The twenty-eighth canon of the Chalcedonian council was expressly confirmed by Justinian I., in the 131st Novelle (c. 1), and solemnly renewed by the Trullan council (can. 36), but was omitted in the Latin collections of canons by Prisca, Dionysius, Exiguus, and Isidore.

The loud contradiction of Rome gradually died away; yet she has never formally acknowledged this canon, except during the Latin empire and the Latin patriarchate at Constantinople, when the fourth Lateran council, under Innocent III., in 1215, conceded that the patriarch of Constantinople should hold the next rank after the patriarch of Rome, before those of Alexandria and Antioch.517"

Quoted from the History of the Church by Philip Schaff.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, what to do, what to do...maybe some whole threads should come down if it gets real ugly...and as you know, they can!
Sometimes I think it is like a rock and a hard place

the Mary thread was shut down. Which was sad I Never got to answer a few questions.. only because of heat, it’s to bad you can not ban people from threads..lol

Reactions: Nancy

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that seems to be the problem indeed.... According to your first paragraph... that would mean the Catholics are NOT in UNION with other Christian denominations on the basis of believing they are the ONE true Church.

Then you have Christians who believe God elected His chosen... and that some are created for damnation. ( Calvinism )

Then you have those who believe you can lose your salvation. ( Legalism )

These are no small potatoes... These are wedge causing beliefs... How can we be in union with someone who believes absolutely the opposite of what we do.... IS simply believing in Christ as our Saviour the ONLY essential of being a Christian?

I am just as guilty as the next person for not contributing to the cause of UNITY... I do not believe it exists .. except in small pockets of like-minded believers. I have looked for this unity that I absolutely thought would come naturally when I became a Christian... and twenty years later... I still have not found it.

I am of the belief that the LABELS people stand by and accept are a large part of the problem... and the fact that people's definition on how to love others seems to vary greatly.

If a Catholic... a Lutheran... a Non-denominational ... and a Pentecostal all went to a soup kitchen to feed the poor... they would all have a glorious time doing the WORK of CHRIST together.
The way I look at it, there is one gospel which saves.not 2 not 3 not 30,000

thinks which are non salvic, like age of earth when will the tribulation happens or has it already happened, speaking in tongues, etc etc. if we cannot agree to disagree there, our pride needs put in check. There is instances in the NT where paul takes two groups and tells them not to judge one another, or to offend one another, I think that fits

Reactions: prism

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The divisions arose when the church of Rome decided that the bishop of Rome has supremacy over all other bishops and churches. This is the historical fact. And now it is too late to go back.
I believe it goes back further than Rome...

For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part, for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized.
(1Co 11:18-19)

1 Corinthians 1:11-13 (KJV) For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it goes back further than Rome...

For, in the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you. And I believe it in part, for there must be factions among you in order that those who are genuine among you may be recognized.
(1Co 11:18-19)

1 Corinthians 1:11-13 (KJV) For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
Yep, it goes back even further. The saducees and pharisees are a prime Example of division in the jewish church. It’s satans modus operendi

Reactions: prism

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And what does James say? That is true religion!

I think the answer to this is that we bond to each other on the part we all agree on, that we've put our trust in Jesus, and testify of a new life. Then we find our fellowship in those places the Bible teaches us, koinonia,

2 Corinthians 8:4 Praying us with much intreaty that we would receive the gift, and take upon us the fellowship of the ministering to the saints.

Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Philippians 1:5 For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;

Philippians 2:1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

Philippians 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

1 Corinthias 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

The fellowship of serving the saints.
The fellowship of the mystery, that God reveals His wisdom through the church.
The fellowship of the Gospel itself.
The fellowship of the Spirit.
The fellowship of Jesus' sufferings.
The fellowship of the blood of Christ.

There is no, "fellowship of eschatology", for instance. These are all the fellowship of being brought into God, and serving others. Of sharing the sufferings of Christ. A fellowship found in taking up our cross.

Much love!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes I think it is like a rock and a hard place

the Mary thread was shut down. Which was sad I Never got to answer a few questions.. only because of heat, it’s to bad you can not ban people from threads..lol

"it’s to bad you can not ban people from threads..."

Hahaha...this has crossed my mind! Seems it would be easier than shutting down a whole thread, lol.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Two points...

Our knowledge is limited...
For we know in part and we prophesy in part; (1Co 13:9)
but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. (1Co 13:10)
When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. (1Co 13:11)
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. (1Co 13:12)

Only through a pursuit and practice of the Truth can we even begin to approach 'Unity'.
"Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth. (Joh 17:17)
"As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. (Joh 17:18)
"For their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they themselves also may be sanctified in truth. (Joh 17:19)
"I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; (Joh 17:20)
that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. (Joh 17:21)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes...a "quiet room"...I think it is a good idea if not just for some peace when things get too hot on here. The temptation to add our own view on some of the threads is strong...if there were a place to gather and discuss our "denominations", we could go there.
Seems that it would be a huge project for those who run this board though.
Tried that once, created a topic " for those who love Christ". Didnt go down to well, whoda thought, but it showed where mens hearts are.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
including submitting ourselves to His Word, the Bible.
2 For I bear record to them that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they, being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves to the righteousness of God.

We are supposed to be under God.

Reactions: amadeus
Status
Not open for further replies.