Not by works - but by faith

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your suggesting the English language was derived from the Latin, we can't go any further.

See how that works. No agreement, no further discussion.
Yeah, I don't see any discussion happening yet. You've obviously got some kind of agenda, and I guess I'm not playing along. Too bad! And someone with a screen name Faither!

Reactions: mailmandan

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't see any discussion happening yet. You've obviously got some kind of agenda, and I guess I'm not playing along. Too bad! And someone with a screen name Faither!

The English language is translated from the Greek, not the Latin. There are a few words that have Latin roots such as the word worship. Worship, is the combination of to Latin words, worth and ship. The shipping of worth! If you can't agree that the English language has direct origins from the Greek, you'll never be able to digest any of the other facts id present to you.

Got to be teachable mark.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The English language is translated from the Greek, not the Latin. There are a few words that have Latin roots such as the word worship. Worship, is the combination of to Latin words, worth and ship. The shipping of worth! If you can't agree that the English language has direct origins from the Greek, you'll never be able to digest any of the other facts id present to you.

Got to be teachable mark.
The English language? Translated from Greek? Direct origins from the Greek? The language isn't translated, words are. Phrases are.

I think what you may be trying to say here is that the English word Faith, with it's Latin origin of Fides, is used to translate the Koine Greek word Pistis.

But I have to say I lose interest with all the meaningless attitude, the little digs. So unnecessary in my opinion.

Much love!

Reactions: Cooper

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The English language? Translated from Greek? Direct origins from the Greek? The language isn't translated, words are. Phrases are.

I think what you may be trying to say here is that the English word Faith, with it's Latin origin of Fides, is used to translate the Koine Greek word Pistis.

But I have to say I lose interest with all the meaningless attitude, the little digs. So unnecessary in my opinion.

Much love!

That fine. Just be advised, it's just not you were talking about but your household.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone else?
O for 5!
I love word studies. Latin is irrelevant, but the various biblical languages are very important.

1. There were several languages that the Hebrews were introduced to over the centuries. But Greek was distinct and when the writers of the New Testament decided to use that language in their texts, there were difficulties. In some cases the Christians had difficulties finding their meanings in the Greek vocabulary....so sometimes they would modify the definitions and meanings of words and the way they were applied. That is why if you look up the meaning of a Greek word in the Greek language, it can be somewhat different than the Strong's definition of the same word.

2. The word faith is a good example. The Greek word for faith and it's implication are different than the Christian use of it. The Christian use of it is different than the Old Testament / Hebrew use of it and also what it implies. The Old Testament is over three times the size of the New Testament, but the word faith is not used that often, and many times not in relation to faith in God. In the New Testament....that is a third of the size, the word faith is used five time as frequently. 58 vs 279 times

3. Not only that, but Christian faith is as much a power...a spiritual connect...as it is a matter of belief. That belief actually causes things...in the physical and the spiritual that we have come to call miracles. There is no word in the Greek that expresses this meaning. Miracle, this is another word that does not appear very often in the Old Testament.

4. The Apostles were seeing and experiencing things that no one had seen before. They were being taught things that no one had been taught before. It is one of the proofs of the scriptures...they were literally walking and living with God. So it comes to no surprise that they were grasping for words to describe what they were experiencing and learning. No surprise that there were no existing words to describe the power and majesty of all that.

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love word studies. Latin is irrelevant, but the various biblical languages are very important.

1. There were several languages that the Hebrews were introduced to over the centuries. But Greek was distinct and when the writers of the New Testament decided to use that language in their texts, there were difficulties. In some cases the Christians had difficulties finding their meanings in the Greek vocabulary....so sometimes they would modify the definitions and meanings of words and the way they were applied. That is why if you look up the meaning of a Greek word in the Greek language, it can be somewhat different than the Strong's definition of the same word.

2. The word faith is a good example. The Greek word for faith and it's implication are different than the Christian use of it. The Christian use of it is different than the Old Testament / Hebrew use of it and also what it implies. The Old Testament is over three times the size of the New Testament, but the word faith is not used that often, and many times not in relation to faith in God. In the New Testament....that is a third of the size, the word faith is used five time as frequently. 58 vs 279 times

3. Not only that, but Christian faith is as much a power...a spiritual connect...as it is a matter of belief. That belief actually causes things...in the physical and the spiritual that we have come to all miracles. There is no word in the Greek that expresses this meaning. Miracle, this is another word that does not appear very often in the Old Testament.

4. The Apostles were seeing and experiencing things that no one had seen before. They were being taught things that no one had been taught before. It is one of the proofs of the scriptures...they were literally walking and living with God. So it comes to no surprise that they were grasping for words to describe what they were experiencing and learning. No surprise that there were no existing words to describe the power and majesty of all that.

The Hebrew is possibly the worst language on the planet, the Greek " is" the most precise language on the planet!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Hebrew is possibly the worst language on the planet, the Greek " is" the most precise language on the planet!
Not sure what you are trying to imply.
No ancient language is precise. For one their vocabulary are limited. That is characteristic of ancient languages. They make up for limited words by how they use the word in relation to other words. Taking English for example...precise by tonnage. There are men that cannot lift a podium dictionary that contains most of the words in the English language. Now compared to Hebrew and Latin...Greek is superior, and one of the reasons I think they chose Greek for the language of the Bible.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you are trying to imply.
No ancient language is precise. For one their vocabulary are limited. That is characteristic of ancient languages. They make up for limited words by how they use the word in relation to other words. Taking English for example...precise by tonnage. There are men that cannot lift a podium dictionary that contains most of the words in the English language. Now compared to Hebrew and Latin...Greek is superior, and one of the reasons I think they chose Greek for the language of the Bible.

Agreed, my point was the Greek is the " most " precise , not precise. I think we just proved the point lol.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any specific Bible teachers influence your understandings?
Was Christ a teacher? lol
I fellowship with the Baptists, the Lutherans, the Pentecosts, the Catholics, the Glad Tidings Assembly of God, Mormons, the Moravian Church and nearly a dozen non-denominational churches and I have had Jewish friends for most of my adult life.

There are things I disagree with and there are things I agree with. But I love Christians and will stand with them and praise God.

Faither

Jul 28, 2019
Usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fellowship with the Baptists, the Lutherans, the Pentecosts, the Catholics, the Glad Tidings Assembly of God, Mormons, the Moravian Church and nearly a dozen non-denominational churches and I have had Jewish friends for most of my adult life.

There are things I disagree with and there are things I agree with. But I love Christians and will stand with them and praise God.

Are you one of the gifted teachers Christ has given to perfect the saints.