Not your Sunday School version of The Garden of Eden...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
Genesis 2:18 - And the LORD GOD said, It is not good that the man should be alone: I will make him an help meet for him.

Genesis 2:20 - And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Adam was supposedly given life in a state of moral cleanliness, variously described as being one of innocence, purity, sinlessness, righteousness, and sometimes even holiness. The general idea is that Adam was faultless in GOD's sight before he disobeyed the command in Eden.

Yet scripture says: It is not good that the man should be alone. Who is at fault for his aloneness, his not goodness? Well Adam certainly could not help the state of his creation so it wasn't him...yet the implication remains that God created something not quite perfect which is contrary to His attributes and not possible.

In fact in Gen 1:31, everything was very good. So, in all this goodness, how did it slip by that Adam's state was not good? Well, to my mind, since I don't think that God makes anything sort of good nor almost perfect, not lets things slip by, I think it must be a clue pointing somewhere else. Perhaps something not good slipped into Adam's experience between Gen 1:31 and Gen 2:18?

We do have proof that something became not good between these two verses as Peter tells us,
2 Peter 2:4 - For if GOD spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell (literally: Tartarus) and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgement.
We know the angels fell before the 'fall' in the garden as the snake arrived in a sinful state. So obviously not everything is being told here but hints are given.

Perhaps the evil angels are not even being considered in the everything of verse 1:31 and so the phrase everything was very good is meant to apply only to God's physical creation of the earth (perhaps the whole physical universe) but not to the prior creation of spirits, the angels, some of whom were not so good.

Another thing not usually considered is that IF the fallen angels were being held to be the role model of badness for the sinful church, then their badness could be called 'good' for the purpose of chastening, converting and sanctifying the fallen church.

[Of course most people ignore all this and usually not good gets twisted to mean not bad.

It is a fundamental hint to me that if the ordinary meaning of scripture is interpreted to mean the opposite of that ordinary meaning by everyone, then the chances are that everyone is bending the scripture to mean what it has to mean to satisfy their orthodox take on reality. In other words if you gave this verse to someone who did not know the bible and asked them to interpret it, they would answer that there was something wrong, something not right about Adam's aloneness.]

So does not good to be alone mean “Adam was in rebellion to GOD's will for him,” or just about anything else?

Does alone imply separation from God in the garden due to sin? Or just "unable to produce children" as per the orthodox?

Genesis 2:18 also says that GOD had to make an “help meet”, (NIV - suitable helper), to fix Adam's bad situation, but this is not irrefutable proof Adam was in rebellion because it is possible to interpret “helper” so that it means “reproductive partner” rather than “someone who would be instrumental in convicting Adam of his spiritual rebellion.”

And “suitable” is not proof either, because it too can be interpreted as meaning “better than any animal” rather than “because Adam had already rejected GOD, someone else whom he would accept as a marriage partner so that he could learn about his spiritual marriage to HIM”.

Let's just look at the lead up to this:
Genesis 2:15,16 - And the LORD GOD took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it. And the LORD GOD commanded the man, saying...

It is obvious that after being commanded by God that Adam is either in rebellion to the command (unrighteous) or in compliance (righteous).

Now, if Adam was righteous he would be faithfully following GOD's will for him, viz., willing to do whatever GOD wanted him to do, right? And what did GOD want him to do?

Well, it seems that, in addition to dressing and keeping the garden, et cetera, GOD wanted him to get married and that, to get his wife there, Adam had to go into a deep (but possibly conscious sleep, and donate a bone and some flesh. And was Adam willing to comply with GOD's will for him in this? Well, he was, but only after GOD had brought him all the animals first and they had all been shown to be unsuitable:

Genesis 2:20 - And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

Now, in regard to this little episode, I wonder why GOD had to resort to such tactics if Adam was willing to do whatever GOD wanted him to do? Why did GOD have to first bring him all the animals and show him that they were unsuitable? If Adam was willing to believe GOD, why didn't HE just tell him that an animal was not what HE wanted? Moreover, just whose idea was it that one of the animals might work? It certainly could not have been GOD's, could it?

Since this was the situation, how can we believe that Adam was righteous, preferring to comply with GOD's will above all else? How can Adam be this reluctant/rebellious to doing this GOD's way and, at the same time, be faithfully willing to fulfil HIS purpose for him?

God bless...

Ted

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God brought to Adam the animals in order for Adam to name them (part of the 'dominion' promise), it had nothing to do with 'showing show him that they were unsuitable'. From there your straw house logic breaks down.

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
Could it really be that complicated? I do understand that my "wisdom" is, well....pretty worthless, but may I suggest:

1. Genesis 1 is a factual statement about what happened (exactly as it indicates). This factual statement of order of events ends in Genesis 2:3.

2. Genesis 2:4 begins the "history of beginnings". This gives us more detail.

3. Starting in 2:7 it specifies more detail about day 6 (which we do not have in 1:24-31), and day 6 is not finished (when God said it was "very good") until chapter 2:24 or 25 (clearly well after where you find the "problem"), in the more detailed account of chapter 2. Contrast that, 1:27 simply tells us that "male and female created He them", :28 dominion, :29 diet, :31 very good

Synopsis? Genesis 1:1-2:3= "Just the facts, believe them or not". Starting Genesis 2:4-50:26 "history of beginnings in more detail"

As a side note: I find it particularly useful in this section of scripture to remove the chapter and verse divisions for understanding these events. They were not there originally anyway and are not a part of scripture.

Reactions: justaname

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
God brought to Adam the animals in order for Adam to name them (part of the 'dominion' promise), it had nothing to do with 'showing show him that they were unsuitable'. From there your straw house logic breaks down.

Gen 2:20
And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him.

This verse makes it seem quite plainly that the naming and the looking for a helper were both going on or the last half of the sentence is really really weird...

God bless...

Ted

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps in the naming, 'pairs' of animals were seen (male and female) making it apparent the 'singleness' and/or 'lonliness' of Adam.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
did it cross your mind to hink that God already knew Adam was going to need a help meet and that He was just letting us know something He was already going to do?

i remember something about a lamb being slain from the foundation of the earth. perhaps God "forgot" that He was going to give adam eve. you are making it too difficult i think. i am with second hand lion on that.

ttruscott

Feb 3, 2012
Wet Coast of Canada
Ever notice that
Gen. 3:1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made.

Gen. 2:25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. subtil and naked are the same word?

Could it, therefore, be understood to say, "And they were both subtil/crafty, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed?" But the Hebrew forefathers who disbelieved in existence (let alone sin) before the creation of the earth, taught us that naked was better, like they taught us to reject the Trinity and to reject the sacrificial nature of Christ's death on the cross.

But just these words: more subtil than any beast of the field, don't they imply that the beasts had a certain subtilness, a certain craftyness, surpassed (only) by the snake?

So now during the everything was very good phase of existence we have:
- seriously fallen angels
- the badness of Adam's aloneness
- a (possibly) deranged Adam trying to mate with the animals
- animals who were only a bit less evil than the snake, evil lite you might say.

:), Ted

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could it really be that complicated? I do understand that my "wisdom" is, well....pretty worthless, but may I suggest:

1. Genesis 1 is a factual statement about what happened (exactly as it indicates). This factual statement of order of events ends in Genesis 2:3.

2. Genesis 2:4 begins the "history of beginnings". This gives us more detail.

3. Starting in 2:7 it specifies more detail about day 6 (which we do not have in 1:24-31), and day 6 is not finished (when God said it was "very good") until chapter 2:24 or 25 (clearly well after where you find the "problem"), in the more detailed account of chapter 2. Contrast that, 1:27 simply tells us that "male and female created He them", :28 dominion, :29 diet, :31 very good

Synopsis? Genesis 1:1-2:3= "Just the facts, believe them or not". Starting Genesis 2:4-50:26 "history of beginnings in more detail"

As a side note: I find it particularly useful in this section of scripture to remove the chapter and verse divisions for understanding these events. They were not there originally anyway and are not a part of scripture.
I like this. No reading between the lines, no adding to the text.