• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I always thought repentance was a work...
Repentance is NOT a work but a TOTAL CHANGE OF DIRECTION AND ATTITUDE.

If repentance was a work then the Bible would not say "Not by works of righteousness which we have done..."

Reactions: Mayflower

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So someone shared these verses with me today and I realize this is true. I believe in eternal security, but repentance is necessary for salvation and this is why:

The scripture teaches that repentance is a gracious free gift of God, and not works.

Acts 5:31 "...for to GIVE repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins."

2 Timothy 2:25 "...if God peradventure will GIVE them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;"

Acts 11:18 "...Then hath God also to the Gentiles GRANTED repentance unto life."

Notice that the scripture says that the repentance God gives from sin is a repentance unto life, all life is in Christ so the repentance God gives turns from sin to Christ.

I always thought repentance was a work, so that we repent out of a grateful heart for Christ's sacrifice on the cross. And this is true, but repentance is also the grace. Not the work like I have believed. And it isnt as scarey as I thought. No one can pluck me out of God' hand, but it makes sense that someone can walk away from the faith. I think calling Osas garbage is not a good thing, because people really do come to Christ. Just because I was raised believing this way, doesnt mean I was any less saved. But I do see things in a different light now. Because repentance is even just a gift. We could not turn away from our sin without what Christ did for us.

Repentance is NOT a work but a TOTAL CHANGE OF DIRECTION AND ATTITUDE.

If repentance was a work then the Bible would not say "Not by works of righteousness which we have done..."
Indeed. I would even go so far as to say, repentance is God's "given" and acceptable freewill gift, that we might have the choice of "change" even though we do not deserve it. Such is His mercy and grace.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are saved !!!!! Upon belief....... If you do not believe deep in your heart, that is different.

If you believe in your heart, you will do the right thing's .......... there for you are saved for all time.

We all sin at times............ GOD know's this !!!!!!!!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
See Revelation 19:8.

We are saying that if someone truly believes, they have a spiritual life that will never end.

If they merely "believed", then their faith was nominal, lukewarm, or shallow...mere mental assent to the tenets of the gospel.
I would be willing to accept that if a person abandons the faith it could mean that they never believed to begin with.

This could be accepted by me going by personal experience...it seems unfathomable to me that I could ever abandon God...and this after many years of being a Christian and many trials and tribulations that Jesus spoke of.

My problem is that Jesus DID speak to this...
And I just have to go with what HE SAID...
not with how it's "interpreted".

Reactions: FollowHim

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No...that is against the scriptures:

2 Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

...That "new creation" is of God, and it is God (Christ in us) who lives and does no sin forevermore. Galatians 2:20

"Whoever abides in Him does not sin." 1 John 3:6

Why do you not believe in all the scriptures and receive it?

I had no idea you would disagree with scripture that says only our past sins are cleansed. Then you turn around and agree with what I believe, and yet said I don't agree with scripture. :confused: I believe as you do that from the time Jesus takes away our sin we do not commit sins, but don't you know that means in the "present and future"? I would have thought you agreed with me, not Dove. So, if you believe her, show me in scripture where our "present and future" sins are already forgiven as we commit them. To me that is heresy, as if Jesus failed to take away our sins. How I believe 1 John 3:5 is that Jesus takes away our sin NATURE/the source, so that we are born again of the Spirit and new creatures. I don't understand why you are saying this; it sounds like double-talk.

Last edited:

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Is this spirituality? Party goer dude! Right?

Attachments

• IMG_20190824_153335.jpg
    IMG_20190824_153335.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 0

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I just have to go with what HE SAID...
not with how it's "interpreted".

Sometimes, when scripture sometimes seems to contradict itself, we have to form an interpretation in order to deal with the apparent contradiction.

No prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation.

The Holy Ghost teaches when we compare spiritual thing with spiritual.

Reactions: GodsGrace

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Freewill is good? The only choices a man are God or mammon. So most people go for mammon. Is that good or is it God who is good?

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." Mark 10:18
I LUST money. God is good.

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Sometimes, when scripture sometimes seems to contradict itself, we have to form an interpretation in order to deal with the apparent contradiction.

Interpretation?

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Some things ain't as plain aals day but interpretation of scripture is meant for the mind and the brain.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had no idea you would disagree with scripture that says only our past sins are cleansed. Then you turn around and agree with what I believe, and yet said I don't agree with scripture. :confused: I believe as you do that from the time Jesus takes away our sin we do not commit sins, but don't you know that means in the "present and future"? I would have thought you agreed with me, not Dove. So, if you believe her, show me in scripture where our "present and future" sins are already forgiven as we commit them. To me that is heresy, as if Jesus failed to take away our sins. How I believe 1 John 3:5 is that Jesus takes away our sin NATURE/the source, so that we are born again of the Spirit and new creatures. I don't understand why you are saying this; it sounds like double-talk.
I guess you didn't read everything I posted. I made it clear (as do the scriptures) that "Whoever abides in Him does not sin." 1 John 3:6.

That means no sins "present and future" by those "whoever abide in Him."

Is that not clear?

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Osas true?
What is eternal?
Our bodies? No. So our brains, our memories, our identity is all temporary.
Our souls? Unless destroyed, yes.
Our spirit? We are only alive with it.
To be ressurrected our form must be recreated. God must make us eternal.
If we can be separated from the causes of sin, we are pure and redeemed. If sin is embedded within us physically we are lost.
If some believe an eternal spirit is who they are, there is no salvation, only the fire. We are our physical identity and what love in our hearts brings about eternally.
Jesus talking about the hand was making the point about eternity. Purity matters, love is foundational, our hearts matter, nothing is more significant. God bless you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Charismatic gone nuts.
Who am I? I am what my creator says I am. Job was righteous but tested.
Knowing the boundaries of desire verses sin, acknowledgment and repression, hidden trauma we avoid without noticing.
How quickly can a functioning individual be reduced to a wreck. My dear friends, we are very fragile and need Jesus and His love, not like a crutch, but as the source of life. All love, all blessing sources from Him, the eternal song of praise embedded in all that is. Nothing exists without His boundary, to talk against Him is to deny the most precious thing we all carry. It is why only gnashing of teeth and weeping remain when all becomes clear. God bless you
Charismatic gone nuts is to become so spiritual the world and life do not matter. It all matters, but in fellowship with Jesus, finding the path of love through it all.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

OK.
So then how do we reconcile that JESUS said belief could be lost....
belief could be temporary.

Paul also confirmed this.
I'll post scripture ONLY if you respond directly to it.
I'm getting tired of posting scripture which goes unnoticed....

For example, how do YOU interpret Luke 8:13?
JESUS SAID the person BELIEVES TEMPORARILY
and then FALLS AWAY.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So then how do we reconcile that JESUS said belief could be lost.... belief could be temporary.
Jesus never said any such thing. And even if that were true, the saints cannot lose their salvation because it is God's GIFT.

Have you ever given someone a birthday gift (or Christmas gift) and just as you were leaving, snatched it back and said "Sorry, I made a mistake"?

If human beings do not grab back the gifts they give to others, do you seriously believe that God takes back His gift of eternal life, especially when He gives that person (1) the gift of Christ, (2) the gift of the Holy Spirit, (3) the gift of Himself, (4) the gift of the New Birth, (5) the gift of becoming a child of God, (6) the gift of an eternal inheritance, (7) the gift of eternal life, (7) the gift of future glorification, (8) the gift of a resurrected, immortal, and glorified body, (9) the gift of faith, and (10) the gift of becoming a king-priest in His eternal Kingdom.

All this just goes to show that you simply do not understand salvation. Neither do those who claim that people can lose their salvation.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
And the nature of eternal life is that it will last throughout eternity. Therefore the moment one truly believes with the heart, unto righteousness, they are eternally secure.
Are they eternally secure if :
1. They lose their faith
2. They abandon God for the world

Jesus said it like this:

Matthew 24:10-13
10“At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11“Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. 12“Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. 13“But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.
"

Actually, John 5:24 tells us that when we place our faith in the Father, after hearing Jesus' words, we have already passed from death into everlasting life.
Amen to that...but is there a condition?
There is always a condition...
The condition is belief.

John 5:24
24“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

As you can see it does not say they have passed into everlasting life...
but just life.

This just means that one is born dead in the spirit, and when that person comes to believe GOD,,,who sent Jesus...he is passed from death to life....

See John 3:6
See John 3:18 which explains this very well.

When we become born again we are passed from death to life.
Jesus is the living vine that gives us life.

Sure. It means that if anyone has a living and saving faith, that this is a heart faith that is unto righteousness (Romans 10:10) and the enduring to the end (Hebrews 3:6, Hebrews 3:14, Matthew 10:22, Matthew 24:13)
You yourself have stated that we are to endure till the end. This is a condition...
Thanks for posting it. Jesus said this and I think we should trust what Jesus says.

As to Romans 11:22
22Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off.

Please note: God's severity goes to those that FELL...meaning it is possible to fall.

But we are in God's kindness IF WE CONTINUE in his kindness. Otherwise WE TOO will be cut off, as were those who fell. (some jews).

The way you want to live, after you are saved, is different than the way you wanted to live before you got saved. You have been given a new heart and a new spirit, and have been made into a new creature (2 Corinthians 5:17). Dogs and swine like vomit and mud, sheep will run away from both of those things. Put a sheep in mud, it will run to the water. Put a pig in water and the palace, it will run to the mud first chance it gets. It is about whether you are regenerated or unregenerated in your nature.
Fully agree.
And I don't really like debating this with you and here's why:

YOU, I'm sure, are living a life that is pleasing to God and you have certainly placed yourself in His hands.

There are persons on these forums that will right out tell you that they can live as they want to and still be saved. THIS IS WRONG....and this is one of the curses that OSAS has brought about...the curse of a false sense of security....which to you means nothing...but to some may cause their loss of salvation since God does require obedience to salvation. Obedience of faith...Romans 1:5

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Jesus never said any such thing. And even if that were true, the saints cannot lose their salvation because it is God's GIFT.

Have you ever given someone a birthday gift (or Christmas gift) and just as you were leaving, snatched it back and said "Sorry, I made a mistake"?

If human beings do not grab back the gifts they give to others, do you seriously believe that God takes back His gift of eternal life, especially when He gives that person (1) the gift of Christ, (2) the gift of the Holy Spirit, (3) the gift of Himself, (4) the gift of the New Birth, (5) the gift of becoming a child of God, (6) the gift of an eternal inheritance, (7) the gift of eternal life, (7) the gift of future glorification, (8) the gift of a resurrected, immortal, and glorified body, (9) the gift of faith, and (10) the gift of becoming a king-priest in His eternal Kingdom.

All this just goes to show that you simply do not understand salvation. Neither do those who claim that people can lose their salvation.
Maybe YOU don't understand Enoch.
Throw some verses at me and we'll go through them.

Maybe you could start with my post no. 299?

Or start your own.