OSAS beginning ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it hasn't been. It came into the church around the time of Augustine. Prior to that the Church Fathers fought against it. Augustine was a Manichean, a form of Gnosticism, before he became a Christian. He wrote of Fatalism. Fatalism was a doctrine that was held by some Gnostic groups that attributed everything to fate. Basically, it held that all things were fated and nothing man could do could change that. Augustine essentially kept the doctrine but replaced fate with God. Instead of all things being determined by fate, he said all things were determined by God. However, this is not the teaching we see for at least the first 300 years of Church history.
Wrong

it was taught by Christ, most evident in the writings of his beloved disciple John. Who states the knowledge that we HAVE eternal life is so essential. Out continued faith is dependent on it,

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So does OSAS think repenting is not required anymore after the first repentance to be saved ?
Eternal security proponents believe true repentance for salvation happened before one is saved. (Without it no one could come to Christ)

and ongoing repentance (changing of our hearts from human viewpoint to Gods) continues as one matures in Christ

Reactions: APAK

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What water are we suppose to drink to have everlasting life ?
Did the OT have it ?
John 6:63
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

2 Timothy 3:15
and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus

Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Ephesians 5:26
that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word

Reactions: APAK

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wrong

it was taught by Christ, most evident in the writings of his beloved disciple John. Who states the knowledge that we HAVE eternal life is so essential. Out continued faith is dependent on it,
No, It's not wrong. John taught no such thing. People simply misunderstand what John wrote based on preconceptions they bring to the text. We know that John didn't teach it because his disciples didn't teach it. The Early church didn't teach it. They actually argued against it as a heresy. It doesn't appear in the Church until the Reformation some 1400 years after Christianity came into being. Augustine proposed the idea and it was rejected by the Church.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, It's not wrong. John taught no such thing. People simply misunderstand what John wrote based on preconceptions they bring to the text. We know that John didn't teach it because his disciples didn't teach it. The Early church didn't teach it. They actually argued against it as a heresy. It doesn't appear in the Church until the Reformation some 1400 years after Christianity came into being. Augustine proposed the idea and it was rejected by the Church.
John did not teach it?

John 3. He who believes will NEVER DIE. But HAS ETERNAL LIFE (live forever)
John 4. Ask, and you will recieve rivers of living water flowing to eternal life
John 6. Take What jesus offers. And you will NEVER hunger, NEVER thirst, NEVER DIE, Live FOREVER, HAVE ETERNAL LIFE. WILL be raised on the last day And will live as Long as Jesus lives, Well since Jesus will never die.. yeah

And then the kicker. Johns final words to those who wrote to in his epistle. What I spoke of in my first post

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

I can not KNOW I have something God calls eternal. If as you say, salvation is not secure

We call that conditional life. Not eternal life

Reactions: mailmandan

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John did not teach it?

John 3. He who believes will NEVER DIE. But HAS ETERNAL LIFE (live forever)
John 4. Ask, and you will recieve rivers of living water flowing to eternal life
John 6. Take What jesus offers. And you will NEVER hunger, NEVER thirst, NEVER DIE, Live FOREVER, HAVE ETERNAL LIFE. WILL be raised on the last day And will live as Long as Jesus lives, Well since Jesus will never die.. yeah

And then the kicker. Johns final words to those who wrote to in his epistle. What I spoke of in my first post

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

I can not KNOW I have something God calls eternal. If as you say, salvation is not secure

We call that conditional life. Not eternal life

Can explain those passages in context? The Bible isn't a bunch of proof texts. Everything that is written is written within a certain context. If we're just going to pull a sentence here and there we can claim the Bible says just about anything we want. What you didn't post were the conditional verses that were also spoken. For instance, Jesus said some believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.

Notice how eternal life works.

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? (Jn. 11:25-26 KJV)

Notice that the one who believes did die. So, eternal life begins at the Resurrection.

Notice that the "shall never die" part happens after the resurrection. So, in the mean time while we're alive we need to make sure we don't fall away.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can explain those passages in context? The Bible isn't a bunch of proof texts. Everything that is written is written within a certain context. If we're just going to pull a sentence here and there we can claim the Bible says just about anything we want. What you didn't post were the conditional verses that were also spoken. For instance, Jesus said some believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away.

Notice how eternal life works.

25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this? (Jn. 11:25-26 KJV)

Notice that the "shall never die" part happens after the resurrection. So, in the mean time while we're alive we need to make sure we don't fall away.

Notice that the one who believes did die. So, eternal life begins at the Resurrection.
1. God does not just say things to waste his breath, if he says them, we should trust what he says
2. John 3 is about being born again, IE. Born spiritually from above, Jesus tells nicodemus, unless he is born again, he can not enter the kingdom of God. And he tells him how. Whoever believes, is not only made alive. But we are told how long he will stay alive (eternal)
3. John 4 is jesus explaining to a woman that drinking water from a well is good. It sustains our lives a d nourishes our bodies (a body can not live without it) and a true fact. Whoever drinks of that water will thirst again, but i it not better to ask for the water that will let us live forever? (Ie.they will never thirst again

13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

John 6 is the same

Don’t search or work for food which perishes, but for food which will endure to eternal life. Which Jesus will give. As he said, whoever eats of them food will live forever. Never hunger or thirst, never die. HAS eternal life and will (not might) be raised by him on the last day (is being delivered to him at judgment day)

1 John is specific. He wrote all he write to prove to us we have eternal life right now. And by this knowledge we will continue to believe in hm.

As for the passage you used. It supports what I said, Whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. This is called eternal life.

Remember, John said whoever sins has never seen or known God. Whoever has been born of God can not sin (a lifestyle of living in sin) People who are born of God are those who obey his commands, These are descriptive passages, who the people of God are. Not prescriptive passages, which tell us how to be given eternal life.

Eternal life is forever. Never ending. John said we have it, Jesus said we have it. Paul said our hope is based on this promise, which God made before time began.

Conditional life is not found in scripture, unless we are talking about temporal life on this earth.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the OT have it ?

John 6:63
It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.

2 Timothy 3:15
and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus

Romans 10:17
So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Ephesians 5:26
that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word

so is the water words or spirit that you never thirst again ? you must have it to have eternal life

John 4:14
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst;
but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. God does not just say things to waste his breath, if he says them, we should trust what he says
2. John 3 is about being born again, IE. Born spiritually from above, Jesus tells nicodemus, unless he is born again, he can not enter the kingdom of God. And he tells him how. Whoever believes, is not only made alive. But we are told how long he will stay alive (eternal)
3. John 4 is jesus explaining to a woman that drinking water from a well is good. It sustains our lives a d nourishes our bodies (a body can not live without it) and a true fact. Whoever drinks of that water will thirst again, but i it not better to ask for the water that will let us live forever? (Ie.they will never thirst again

13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”

John 6 is the same

Don’t search or work for food which perishes, but for food which will endure to eternal life. Which Jesus will give. As he said, whoever eats of them food will live forever. Never hunger or thirst, never die. HAS eternal life and will (not might) be raised by him on the last day (is being delivered to him at judgment day)

1 John is specific. He wrote all he write to prove to us we have eternal life right now. And by this knowledge we will continue to believe in hm.

As for the passage you used. It supports what I said, Whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. This is called eternal life.

Remember, John said whoever sins has never seen or known God. Whoever has been born of God can not sin (a lifestyle of living in sin) People who are born of God are those who obey his commands, These are descriptive passages, who the people of God are. Not prescriptive passages, which tell us how to be given eternal life.

Eternal life is forever. Never ending. John said we have it, Jesus said we have it. Paul said our hope is based on this promise, which God made before time began.

Conditional life is not found in scripture, unless we are talking about temporal life on this earth.

All you've done is reiterate your position without addressing the passages that show the conditional side of obtaining eternal life. Jesus made it clear that eternal life begins after death. He also made it clear that there are some who believe for a while and later fall away. Proof texting the Bible will only lead to error.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if you become lukewarm ? Revelation 3:16-17
He is talking to his church.
are you gonna be saved in that condition or even go to heaven like that ?

He spoke of the condition of the church

not individuals

salvation is not in question,

the churches effectiveness on earth is
Disagree
The church is the people

Reactions: Getitright

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the OT have it ?

so is the water words or spirit that you never thirst again ? you must have it to have eternal life

John 4:14
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst;
but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
Who inspired the authors of scripture?
Who helps us to understand the words when were written?

Who washes us with the washing of regeneration and new birth?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All you've done is reiterate your position without addressing the passages that show the conditional side of obtaining eternal life. Jesus made it clear that eternal life begins after death. He also made it clear that there are some who believe for a while and later fall away. Proof texting the Bible will only lead to error.

No

You asked fo me to put the passages I made in context. I did such

I also shows you how your interpretation of John 11 was flawed.

And now you are saying I have done what I did. So who is being dishonest?

I answered you when you asked me to put them in context.

Now you Show me where in John 3, 4 6 and 1 John I was wrong in my interpretation.

Can you?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if you become lukewarm ? Revelation 3:16-17
He is talking to his church.
are you gonna be saved in that condition or even go to heaven like that ?

Disagree
The church is the people
A church is a collection of people
Different churches around the world have different levels of maturity and power.

God was chastening the CHURCH, not individuals within that church.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus called the churches lamp stands

Lamp stand stands for the light which the local churches gave to the communities in which they were located

Some churches had a great light, full of many active mature believers, who were empowered by God to spread his word.

Some where not as mature, Most likely having many mature christians yet many immature christians, and their light did not shine as much, hence they were not as effective

Some, as jesus said, hardly had any light, Probably mature believers there, but they were not strong or numerous enough to really hold the rest of the church.

God threatened to stamp that churches light out.

It means he pulls his power from them. WHich when he does. That church will die, because apart from the power of God. There is no light

Does it mean the mature believers in that church are lost? Of course not. WHoever is born of God are adopted by him, and will be wiht him in eternity.

But remember, Not all believers are mature, there are many babes (ie the corinthian church before pauls letters of rebuke)

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
I see you are moving the goal posts again and even hiding behind the goal again. And stop your lying to me, when anyone can review your writing in this public forum for themselves.

You are a confused man Ernest as you cannot even articulate was you claim here. And I for one will not reattempt to reengage is what you mean in the the verses again as I've been over them a couple of times already....and then you have the audacity to label others I see, and most probably myself, as a Calvinist, which I am not at all.

Do you understand what enough already means? If you want let's discuss another completely different subject sometime in the future...?

APAK
Your personal attack here against me simply shows your inability to prove the OSAS heresy.

Will you honestly admit OSAS is a lie?

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Repentance is a one-time action where one totally changes his direction from rebelling against Christ to loving and being fully committed to Him as Saviour and Lord. Confession of sin according to 1 John 1:9 is the evidence of true repentance. Repentance is not trying to defeat sinful habit patterns in one's own strength. That leads to self-righteousness which is hateful to God and does not lead to pleasing or being acceptable to God at all.

Repentance is the act of agreeing with God about sin and leads to a hatred of sin, especially in one's self. Self-righteousness leads to pride, and judgmental attitudes toward others who don't appear to come up to one's own religious standards.

Repentance is something that must be ongoing for the Christian will not be perfectly sinless throughout his life. Therefore walking in the light (includes repenting) is ongoing whereby the cleansing away of sins by the blood of Christ will be ongoing.

Revelation 2, the church at Ephesus had left their first love and had fallen therefore was commanded to repent.

Not repenting leads to perishing Luke 13:3. Yet repenting was not impossible for those at Ephesus unless they fell into a state of unbelief and remain there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bible_Gazer

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No

You asked fo me to put the passages I made in context. I did such

I also shows you how your interpretation of John 11 was flawed.

And now you are saying I have done what I did. So who is being dishonest?

I answered you when you asked me to put them in context.

Now you Show me where in John 3, 4 6 and 1 John I was wrong in my interpretation.

Can you?
You didn't put them in context. You gave a snippet of what you thought. Putting them in context is explaining what the passage means within the framework of what the writer is saying. So, can you show us how Jesus is teaching that someone who is "saved" cannot be lost.

You also, still, have not addressed the passages that show the conditionality of salvation. You need to address the totality of the passages that deal with the subject. You've not done that. Pretty much anyone can cherry pick the Scriptures to try to support a pet doctrine.

Yes, I can show where your interpretation of those passages is wrong.

13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. (Lk. 8:13 KJV)

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't put them in context. You gave a snippet of what you thought. Putting them in context is explaining what the passage means within the framework of what the writer is saying. So, can you show us how Jesus is teaching that someone who is "saved" cannot be lost.

You also, still, have not addressed the passages that show the conditionality of salvation. You need to address the totality of the passages that deal with the subject. You've not done that. Pretty much anyone can cherry pick the Scriptures to try to support a pet doctrine.

Yes, I can show where your interpretation of those passages is wrong.

13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away. (Lk. 8:13 KJV)
So you can not go to the passages and show how I took them out of context. You just accuse with no proof

thank you

I will continue to believe as I do unless you can show how I took them out of context

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A church is a collection of people
Different churches around the world have different levels of maturity and power.

God was chastening the CHURCH, not individuals within that church.

So the CHURCH would be the laymen and official that are lukewarm ?
and
or somebody is being lukewarm at a lower level than an overcomer.
So a lower leveler believer can't make it right ?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So the CHURCH would be the laymen and official that are lukewarm ?
and
or somebody is being lukewarm at a lower level than an overcomer.
So a lower leveler believer can't make it right ?
You did not understand a word i said

Reread again please this time open your mind and try not to think about how to prove me wrong.