Our God is a consuming fire.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our God is a consuming fire, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Luk 12:49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?
Luk 12:50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

According to the OED straiten also means in the time of translation to constrain confine restrict so on and so forth which makes sense seeing what Jesus says in verse 12:49 and hasn't happened yet.

Luk 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

Which can bring us to:

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Jesus reading the text in Isaiah:

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

But note where Jesus stops in the reading of Isaiah 61:2 :

Isa_61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Luk_4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Hence the acceptable year is proclaimed, but not the day of the vengeance, and Jesus did say something to the effect that only the Father knows when He should return. Its almost like Jesus is trying to say without saying, better take the offer of God’s Peace with you, or it curtains for you.

Jesus loves His own given Him by the Father, but the rest are being convinced they are loved or are supposed to be loved also. . When it’s a fact that the God of Israel is a consuming fire. and they don't and shouldn't fear the Lord God of Israel.

Gee I wonder where they get that idea

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
Isa 61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Isa_61:2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

Hmmm... It's an interesting observation. But now, let me take the other side of the coin if you will. The phrase "[and proclaim] the Day of vengeance" is a reference to preaching the coming of the Day of the Lord, and Jesus did indeed preach on this as well. Matthew 24:29-31 is a good example. He also authored the Book of Revelation, which contains numerous references to it. By the Spirit of God, He also spoke of it through the apostles as well (2 Peter 3:10; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10).

I think the reason He stopped at proclaiming the acceptable year at that time was because that was in particular the message He wanted to get over to all in attendance at that service. His message to them was, "That year is now here (when v.61 will be fulfilled)," with the implication that the rest would eventually be fulfilled also.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm... It's an interesting observation. But now, let me take the other side of the coin if you will. The phrase "[and proclaim] the Day of vengeance" is a reference to preaching the coming of the Day of the Lord, and Jesus did indeed preach on this as well. Matthew 24:29-31 is a good example. He also authored the Book of Revelation, which contains numerous references to it. By the Spirit of God, He also spoke of it through the apostles as well (2 Peter 3:10; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-10).

I think the reason He stopped at proclaiming the acceptable year at that time was because that was in particular the message He wanted to get over to all in attendance at that service. His message to them was, "That year is now here (when v.61 will be fulfilled)," with the implication that the rest would eventually be fulfilled also.

that's a nice thought as Jesus says afterwards:
Luk 4:21  And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears. 

hence the acceptable year is fulfilled, but not the day of vengeance, but one must consider what would happen if He continued to read the rest of that verse. and made the statement "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears". The being "straitened" or being constrained from the rest of that verse being fulfilled at that time. there are many places in scripture where the Lord God is described as longsuffering. therefore something He desires to do is held back for a reason He sees fit, but that doesn't mean He doesn't want to do it, or let it happen.

a family man may not seek vengeance for something he would be in the right to do so for, for the sake of his family. but should the time come that he can do it without harm to his beloved, then what will happen?

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Our God is a consuming fire, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Luk 12:49 I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?
Luk 12:50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!

According to the OED straiten also means in the time of translation to constrain confine restrict so on and so forth which makes sense seeing what Jesus says in verse 12:49 and hasn't happened yet.

Luk 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

Which can bring us to:

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Hence the acceptable year is proclaimed, but not the day of the vengeance, and Jesus did say something to the effect that only the Father knows when He should return. Its almost like Jesus is trying to say without saying, better take the offer of God’s Peace with you, or it curtains for you.

Jesus loves His own given Him by the Father, but the rest are being convinced they are loved or are supposed to be loved also. . When it’s a fact that the God of Israel is a consuming fire. and they don't and shouldn't fear the Lord God of Israel.

Gee I wonder where they get that idea

This is not a literal physical fire.

The fire which Christ kindles on earth
1. A fire which warms what is cold.
2. Purifies what is impure.
3. Consumes what is evil. (Van Oosterzee.)

The controversy which Christ has brought on earth
1. How we are to wish for it.
2. How we are to fear it.
3. How we are to endure it. (Schenkal.)

Suffering, a baptism
For the Christian a threefold baptism is necessary.
1. The water baptism of sprinkling.
2. The spiritual baptism of renewal.
3. The fire baptism of trial. (Van Oosterzee.)

The discord which Christ has brought upon earth
1. A surprising phenomenon, if we look at—
(1) The King (Psa_72:1-20.).
(2) The fundamental law of the kingdom of God (Joh_13:35).
2. An explicable phenomenon if we direct our eye to
(1) The severity of the gospel.
(2) The sinfulness of the human heart.
3. A momentous phenomenon. This strife is a proof of the high significance, and means for the establishment, the purification, and the victory of Christianity. (Van Oosterzee.)

(Source: Biblical Illustrator.)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
therefore something He desires to do is held back for a reason He sees fit, but that doesn't mean He doesn't want to do it, or let it happen.

a family man may not seek vengeance for something he would be in the right to do so for, for the sake of his family. but should the time come that he can do it without harm to his beloved, then what will happen?

Hey.

Forgive me, as I am trying to follow you. But are you saying that the promises contained in the full OT passage regarding the Day of Judgment have been negated out, or simply delayed for a while longer?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey.

Forgive me, as I am trying to follow you. But are you saying that the promises contained in the full OT passage regarding the Day of Judgment have been negated out, or simply delayed for a while longer?

these are things the Lord Jesus said not long after the OP quotes in Luke:

Luk 12:57 Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?
Luk 12:58 When thou goest with thine adversary to the magistrate, as thou art in the way, give diligence that thou mayest be delivered from him; lest he hale thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison.
Luk 12:59 I tell thee, thou shalt not depart thence, till thou hast paid the very last mite.

or

Luk 13:6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
Luk 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
Luk 13:8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
Luk 13:9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

granted one could view it as to the Jews, but it seems it applies here seeing this is exactly what happened in the Roman Empire:

Luk 13:20  And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? 
Luk 13:21  It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened. 

the followers hiding from prosecution where burned as outdoor torch lights by Nero when he entertained the like minded. then some years later what was once the roman empire was declare the holy roman empire by the Vatican in the middle ages in suspect.

also the Jews were expecting a Messiah, but in their own judgement the Messiah was to restore the former glories of Israel, not restore souls to their Maker. hence the event that is referred to as palm Sunday.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not a literal physical fire.

The fire which Christ kindles on earth
1. A fire which warms what is cold.
2. Purifies what is impure.
3. Consumes what is evil. (Van Oosterzee.)

The controversy which Christ has brought on earth
1. How we are to wish for it.
2. How we are to fear it.
3. How we are to endure it. (Schenkal.)

Suffering, a baptism
For the Christian a threefold baptism is necessary.
1. The water baptism of sprinkling.
2. The spiritual baptism of renewal.
3. The fire baptism of trial. (Van Oosterzee.)

The discord which Christ has brought upon earth
1. A surprising phenomenon, if we look at—
(1) The King (Psa_72:1-20.).
(2) The fundamental law of the kingdom of God (Joh_13:35).
2. An explicable phenomenon if we direct our eye to
(1) The severity of the gospel.
(2) The sinfulness of the human heart.
3. A momentous phenomenon. This strife is a proof of the high significance, and means for the establishment, the purification, and the victory of Christianity. (Van Oosterzee.)

(Source: Biblical Illustrator.)

no, those you've posted are views of the religious, the facts are:

Deu_4:24  For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Deu_9:3  Understand therefore this day, that the LORD thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the LORD hath said unto thee.

and Apostle Paul reiterates by quoting Moses:
Heb_12:29  For our God is a consuming fire.

nothings changed, and God hasn't changed, its been said His shadow never moves. He's the same God that lead the Israelites out of Egypt, or told them Nebuchadrezzar was to destroy them and then He told them He would restore them via Cyrus. the Lord God wiped out all flesh on the face of the earth on purpose, the Almighty is to be feared for sure. and so and so bible commentators can't change the meaning of For our God is a consuming fire.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
no, those you've posted are views of the religious, the facts are:

Deu_4:24  For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Deu_9:3  Understand therefore this day, that the LORD thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the LORD hath said unto thee.

and Apostle Paul reiterates by quoting Moses:
Heb_12:29  For our God is a consuming fire.

nothings changed, and God hasn't changed, its been said His shadow never moves. He's the same God that lead the Israelites out of Egypt, or told them Nebuchadrezzar was to destroy them and then He told them He would restore them via Cyrus. the Lord God wiped out all flesh on the face of the earth on purpose, the Almighty is to be feared for sure. and so and so bible commentators can't change the meaning of For our God is a consuming fire.
True for the ungodly in the afterlife.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
these are things the Lord Jesus said not long after the OP quotes in Luke:

Luk 12:57 Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?
Luk 12:58 When thou goest with thine adversary to the magistrate, as thou art in the way, give diligence that thou mayest be delivered from him; lest he hale thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and the officer cast thee into prison.
Luk 12:59 I tell thee, thou shalt not depart thence, till thou hast paid the very last mite.

or

Luk 13:6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
Luk 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
Luk 13:8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
Luk 13:9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

granted one could view it as to the Jews, but it seems it applies here seeing this is exactly what happened in the Roman Empire:

Luk 13:20  And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? 
Luk 13:21  It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened. 

the followers hiding from prosecution where burned as outdoor torch lights by Nero when he entertained the like minded. then some years later what was once the roman empire was declare the holy roman empire by the Vatican in the middle ages in suspect.

also the Jews were expecting a Messiah, but in their own judgement the Messiah was to restore the former glories of Israel, not restore souls to their Maker. hence the event that is referred to as palm Sunday.

These quotes will help me if you can answer me more directly. Not the end of the world if you are teaching something controversial; I'm not the type to bite people's heads off when it comes to such things. But I'd need a straight forward and direct answer if I am to follow you.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True for the ungodly in the afterlife.

actually its true for everyone:

1Co 3:11  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 
1Co 3:12  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 
1Co 3:13  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 
1Co 3:14  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 
1Co 3:15  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These quotes will help me if you can answer me more directly. Not the end of the world if you are teaching something controversial; I'm not the type to bite people's heads off when it comes to such things. But I'd need a straight forward and direct answer if I am to follow you.

no you don't. if you don't get what scripture says, then why do you want what I say? what the Lord has to say even if it be through His approved saints such as Moses or Paul is sufficient for an answer in the Lord's sight. but if it isn't sufficient for you then who cares.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no you don't. if you don't get what scripture says, then why do you want what I say? what the Lord has to say even if it be through His approved saints such as Moses or Paul is sufficient for an answer in the Lord's sight. but if it isn't sufficient for you then who cares.
God cares!

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

And if we are to be like Him, then we must also care:

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

Jesus was the speaker of parables and for those who believed He was the Interpreter...!

For us and those around us?

"How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:26-28

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
actually its true for everyone:

1Co 3:11  For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 
1Co 3:12  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 
1Co 3:13  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 
1Co 3:14  If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 
1Co 3:15  If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 
This is about the last day, the day of judgement. The Christian builds their faith on the rock Christ Jesus and like the apostle Paul we build on that very same rock. Every thing we do and say, including the posts we make on here form part of our personal temple. Some things we say, write and do might be like pure gold, silver or diamonds that stand the test of time. But if we build our temple with wood, hay, and straw that do not last, the temple that we build will not stand the judgement fire.

For on the day of Judgment, fire will reveal everyone’s work; including the temple we have built. If our temple survives the fire, the builder will receive their heavenly reward and hear the words, "well done my good and faithful servant". But if our work is burnt up, our temple will be lost. We shall be saved however because we belong to the temple Christ built, and God’s spirit lives in us. His temple is indestructible, and our salvation is secure.

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is about the last day, the day of judgement. The Christian builds their faith on the rock Christ Jesus and like the apostle Paul we build on that very same rock. Every thing we do and say, including the posts we make on here form part of our personal temple. Some things we say, write and do might be like pure gold, silver or diamonds that stand the test of time. But if we build our temple with wood, hay, and straw that do not last, the temple that we build will not stand the judgement fire.

For on the day of Judgment, fire will reveal everyone’s work; including the temple we have built. If our temple survives the fire, the builder will receive their heavenly reward and hear the words, "well done my good and faithful servant". But if our work is burnt up, our temple will be lost. We shall be saved however because we belong to the temple Christ built, and God’s spirit lives in us. His temple is indestructible, and our salvation is secure.
for what reason would be a different fire. just what do you think happens in the revealed Presence of God? why do you think man can't see God?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God cares!

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

And if we are to be like Him, then we must also care:

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

Jesus was the speaker of parables and for those who believed He was the Interpreter...!

For us and those around us?

"How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." I Cor 14:26-28

you really weren't paying any attention to the conversation were you? just jump right in and say some self righteous church people thing.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
for what reason would be a different fire. just what do you think happens in the revealed Presence of God? why do you think man can't see God?
Sorry, I do not understand the question. Take it more slowly.

After all, no one can lay any other foundation than the one that is already laid, and that is Jesus the Messiah. Whether a person builds on this foundation with gold, silver, expensive stones, wood, hay, or straw, the workmanship of each person will become evident, for the day of judgment will show what it is, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person's action.
(1 Corinthians 3:11-13 ISV)

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you really weren't paying any attention to the conversation were you? just jump right in and say some self righteous church people thing.
Sorry my friend, but I was not responding to the whole of the OP, nor to the whole of the conversation but only to your specific words, then who cares , which I did highlight in blue. Carry on as you will...

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry my friend, but I was not responding to the whole of the OP, nor to the whole of the conversation but only to your specific words, then who cares , which I did highlight in blue. Carry on as you will...

I feel strangely unwelcome in this conversation for some reason, and I don't even remember what the conversation was, LoL.

Oh well, maybe next time.

I care, too, John. Hope you're having a great afternoon. :)

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I feel strangely unwelcome in this conversation for some reason, and I don't even remember what the conversation was, LoL.

Oh well, maybe next time.

I care, too, John. Hope you're having a great afternoon. :)
I know you do and thanks! Remember this:

"This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just as the people feared Moses as he came from the mountain radiant, in like manner Gods glory is a consuming fire to those out of sync with his righteousness.
For those whose hearts are consecrated to righteousness, God's glory is the savour of life.

When Jesus returns in the clouds with the glory of his Father and all the angelic hosts it will be the consumption of the hopes of all God's people.

For the God opposers in whatever form, it will be terror and fear and trembling as the rocks and the mountains are called upon to hide them from the face of the Lamb and him that sits on the throne; to them it will be a consuming fire.

Reactions: amadeus