Paralambano

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paralambano - to take to oneself, to take alongside oneself, to receive to oneself. To acknowledge that someone is who they say they are.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will (paralambano) take you to Myself, so that where I am, there you also will be.

so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 At that time there will be two men in the field; one will be (paralambano) taken and one will be left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be (paralambano) taken and one will be left.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can take this further by some amount of reasoning or…common sense.
For those who think this occurs after the great time of testing/tribulation coming on the whole earth and that those who have received the mark are the ones taken, why is there a man working in a field who has not taken the mark, since he will not be allowed to work unless he has taken the mark?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paralambano - to take to oneself, to take alongside oneself, to receive to oneself. To acknowledge that someone is who they say they are.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I am coming again and will (paralambano) take you to Myself, so that where I am, there you also will be.

so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 40 At that time there will be two men in the field; one will be (paralambano) taken and one will be left. 41 Two women will be grinding at the mill; one will be (paralambano) taken and one will be left.

Howdy Grace, who was Jesus speaking to, and what is their purpose in the place where they are going?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I can’t take it any further really. I can guess that it goes much deeper than I know and I can guess that Paul and John were taken to…visit the place where He is and that they then had walked in both realms, there and here. I’ve only walked here so…I can’t take it any further. I only know trust and hope currently.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I can take this further by some amount of reasoning or…common sense.
For those who think this occurs after the great time of testing/tribulation coming on the whole earth and that those who have received the mark are the ones taken, why is there a man working in a field who has not taken the mark, since he will not be allowed to work unless he has taken the mark?
the message Jesus is conveying is that he will come when least expected. Trying to make the story walk on all fours so to speak takes the attention away from where it is intended to be.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the message Jesus is conveying is that he will come when least expected. Trying to make the story walk on all fours so to speak takes the attention away from where it is intended to be.

Yes…in the second use of the word that I gave, I agree. In the first use of it, I suspect something more.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes…in the second use of the word that I gave, I agree. In the first use of it, I suspect something more.
culturally, fields and mills were places of activity/employment pretty much everywhere; today there'll be factories, offices, hospitals and a whole raft of places where people engage.
what do you suspect might be more?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
culturally, fields and mills were places of activity/employment pretty much everywhere; today there'll be factories, offices, hospitals and a whole raft of places where people engage.
what do you suspect might be more?

More than our current weak state on earth. More than just the Spirit in me but me also walking in the Spirit.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Matthew 24:40-42 is not referring to the rapture as some suppose. It is referring to the Second Coming.

"One shall be taken and the other left" is speaking of the suddenness of death that will come to Israel by the hand of the anti-christ. Christ is comparing it to the flood that suddenly came and took them away, Christ is speaking of sudden death.

Zechariah said that two thirds of Israel will die and one third will pass through the fire, the fire of great tribulation.

As I've said before, Matthew 24 must be read as Christ speaking strictly to Israel, it's the only way you will understand it. It is what will happen to Israel. God deals separately with Israel, and the great tribulation is where He deals with them.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As I've said before, Matthew 24 must be read as Christ speaking strictly to Israel, it's the only way you will understand it.
Actually the latter half of Matthew 24 and 25 address the Rapture.

THIS APPLIES TO THE RAPTURE
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

THIS APPLIES TO THE CHURCH
40Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

THIS APPLIES TO CHRISTIANS
43But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. 44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

THIS APPLIES TO CHRISTIAN STEWARDS
45Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? 46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods. 48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; 49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; 50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of, 51And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the latter half of Matthew 24 and 25 address the Rapture.

THIS APPLIES TO THE RAPTURE
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. 37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, 39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

THIS APPLIES TO THE CHURCH
40Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. 42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

THIS APPLIES TO CHRISTIANS
43But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. 44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

THIS APPLIES TO CHRISTIAN STEWARDS
45Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season? 46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing. 47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods. 48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming; 49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken; 50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of, 51And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

We all don't agree on the same things in scripture, that is to be expected. No two people believe the same thing from Gen. to Rev., actually I don't think that is possible.

The Second Coming of Christ takes place the very moment the anti-christ invades Israel the second time to completely destroy the Jews. In Matt. 24:22, His coming is shortening the days of this destruction of Israel, that no flesh should be saved. This is strictly Israel that will be saved, and is the reason for the Second Coming. It is the salvation of Israel, when they will "see the One whom they have pierced," as Zechariah said.

There was another thread concerning Matt. 24:31, when "His elect" would be gathered. The elect are indeed Israel that will be gathered at this time. Israel has been the elect from before the foundation of the world. Every Jew on the face of the earth will be gathered and brought to Israel. They are now saved, "all of Israel" is saved, as Paul said. The one third that is left, that is.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why is there a man working in a field who has not taken the mark,
Seriously considering your question.
the field is the world?
Work not for the bread that perishes? (Imo) that isn’t God saying to starve literally. But considering the outward man perishes, the inward man renewed daily. Work not for that which perishes makes me think of “under sin” a slave …for example the passage where Paul spoke of one went away for a season …to return not as a servant but above a servant, a brother dearly beloved. It seems to me Paul didn’t work that a brother be “not as a servant” but instead “that a brother return (to God, turn again, be reconciled, be raised up, that power given of God for edification of His body, not for destruction —that bread which perishes), a dearly beloved brother above a servant. HOW did the brother get from “a servant” to being “above a servant, a dearly beloved brother”? Is it not a gift from God, the workings of God?

Point is, in considering your topic and the question how can he work. If it is limited to being able to get a job, or food(literally)…then yes how can one be in the field(that is the world and be in the field (the world)working having received the mark? Consider Romans 16:17-18 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. [18] For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
two “working” “In the field (the field is the world)” can one still “serve” work in the field—the world having received the mark? What is serving their own belly? Work not for that which perishes? The key word “work” or “even “serve” causing “divisions” and “offenses contrary to the doctrine we have learned—being taught of God that you ought to love one another”

There are different works in the world …we argue and debate over those works “in the field, the world) every day (Imo)….

Just thinking…

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not to exclude Christ saying to receive you to Myself that where I am, you will be also.

thank you for “ Paralambano - to take to oneself, to take alongside oneself, to receive to oneself. To acknowledge that someone is who they say they are.”
The whole OP really. After reading your OP:

“Paralambano”
To take to oneself
To take alongside oneself
To receive to oneself
To acknowledge one is who they say they are.

opposite of “Paralambano”? Anti -Christ?
Paul testified to the Jews that Jesus was Christ. “To take to oneself” “to come alongside oneself” “to receive to oneself” “to acknowledge one is who they say they are”
Acts 18:6 And when they opposed themselves, and blasphemed, he shook his raiment, and said unto them, Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean: from henceforth I will go unto the Gentiles.

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; [4] Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

2 Timothy 2:25-26 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; [26] And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them

@stunnedbygrace last one, I don’t mean to be annoying but your topic is interesting. Only thinking through it to study this morning. Thank you for helping give me something to consider throughout today…instead of the same topics over and over. About to go over to my mothers because she had a bad night last night, just letting you know you have helped because topics like this give hope (Imo) and strength to move forward today, at least by a little growth every day.

offenses contrary to the doctrine which you have learned;” by “to receive to oneself” “to take alongside oneself, to acknowledge one is who they say they are”; taught of God that you ought to love one another… “offenses contrary to the doctrine which you have learned”

Luke 17:1-5 Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! [2] It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones. [3] Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. [4] And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him. [5] And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.

Romans 4:19-25 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb: [20] He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God; [21] And being fully persuaded (let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind) that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. [22] And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness. [23] Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; [24] But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; [25] Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
….reconciling the world unto Himself not imputing their offenses to them

Romans 5:15-16 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many. [16] And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

Romans 14:5-9 goes well (Imo) with your topic of “to take to oneself” to come alongside oneself” to “receive to oneself” “to acknowledge one is who they say they are” because of: For none of us lives to himself, and no man dies to himself. [8] For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. [9] For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
Again, reconciling the world unto Himself (take along side, take to oneself, receive to oneself, acknowledging one is who they say they are), not imputing their offenses to them.

Really considering…mark them which cause divisions and offenses contrary to the doctrine which you have learned; and avoid them…

Last edited:

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, I believe so. Jesus is going to take people to himself.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the idea here is to suppose a spiritual state of our current Christian walk where we are seeing and living "through the veil", that is, to experience the celestial realm and terrestrial realm at one and the same time.

Anyone read Frank Paretti? "This Present Darkness", where the spiritual battles between demons and angels and Christians are seen as players on the battlefield?

To be received by Jesus where He is. Should that be understood as being personally removed from the terrestrial and brought into the celestial? Should that be understood as being made able to see the celestial realm? The idea I've heard presented is that we "walk as Jesus walked", and that was how He walked, not subject to the "veil" of flesh, no divison between terrestrial and celestial.

Where in the Bible is the description of Jesus' perceptions of the world? Did He in fact experience the celestial and terrestrial realms simultaneously? Or is this a case of taking words that were meant to express one thing and attempting to apply them to something different?

How does the Bible actually describe our life experience as Christians, being in Christ, walking in the Spirit?

Are we taught in the Bible that this is what defines the mature Christian life? What does the Bible actually describe as the mature Christian life?

In this passage in the OP . . . one needs to keep in mind who is the speaker, and who is the audience, and what is the application and meaning to the audience. Jesus was prophesying to the House of Israel, and if you don't keep that in mind it's easy to start to become confused, and find conflicts.

Everything in the Bible is useful and meaningful to us, but not everything in the Bible is to us. We are not all building big boats, that was instruction given to Noah, and we all know that. But when we come to other parts of the Bible, we can forget that God was talking to certain people, telling them certain things that have certain application to them.

Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his frequent illness. I, a past alcoholic, am not going to "take a little wine". Again, in this particular example, it's easy to see. When I give another example, I'm accused of "expaining it away", or, "only picking the nice parts of the Bible", or any number of things.

But if we are not willing to look at this reality, that God spoke certain things to certain people, we end up trying to put round pegs into square holes and wondering why they don't seem to fit.

My 2 cents.

Much love!

Reactions: Charlie24

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All at the same time?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How cool, what a great find.