Perfection is not the enemy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has His own ways of working in each of us, and I will never argue with you, who are bearing fruit, visible fruit.

Thank you so much! Let God who gives us the spirit of love and truth be praised! You are emcouraging and I know others see that too.

Reactions: marks and Lambano

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it depends on how we interpret perfection.

In scripture we see it spoken of as being mature, or lacking nothing, as apposed to being a babe in Christ who is growing.

We also see it spoken of as moral perfection. Perfect righteousness. in which only Christ achieved this state (as he said, why do you call me good. no one is good but God) sadly the people he asked that question of never got the point he was trying to make.

Moral perfection is what is required by the law. and by God if someone wants to get to heaven apart from Christ. Spiritual Maturity or perfection is what we are all to strive for. (Knowing we can not achieve moral perfection in this lifetime)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've got something there. I think the Bible speaks of both but it sometimes serves us better to not focus on all the things we shouldn't do but what we should be doing.
I think that is exactly correct. We keep our eyes on Jesus, knowing He has, by forgiveness and regeneration, given to us the right to follow Him, to cling to Him, to trust in Him.

I think we resist the devil by drawing near to God.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I'm not perfect and probably won't be in this life. I have mental problems that get in the way of perfection. I'm more like a malfunctioning computer.
I think it was CS Lewis in Mere Christianity who compared us to the the pilot of a wrecked ship. I can relate, brother!

I have mental illness including obsessive/compulsive disorder, and my obsessions and compulsions are often corrupt, sinful. By internal discipline I can have a good level of control, but not without internal struggle and not without also failing. I've come to understand that mal-development of my brain hard-wired that into me as I grew up. So while I realize there is some physical recovery through brain plasticity, that's only good to a point, and my hypothalmus and ventrical cortex and all the rest, they aren't going to "redevelop" in the right way. This is it.

But even so,

Romans 8:4-9 KJV
4) That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5) For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6) For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8) So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9) But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

"In flesh" . . . "In Spirit" . . . The mind of the flesh operates in the fleshy brain of the fleshy being, and it's the fleshy being that is corrupt. But the mind of the spirit is not housed in the fleshy brain, does not derive from the corrupted physical being, but derives from the Holy Spirit of God, and lives in the heavenly realm, hid with Christ in God. The mind of the spirit is holy and righteous and good.

I've learned that when I remember that whether or not I can or can't control my obsessions and compulsion, that God loves me just the same, that I remain fully fogiven, that there is NO separation or break between God and I, in those times, that pushing of the flesh, that relentless driving of depravity - ceases. And my mind is clear, and clean, and I bask in God's love.

I can't control my own mental illness by self-effort, only to a point. But it becomes fully controlled as I trust in Jesus.

Even when it becomes exceedingly difficult due to the intensity of the feelings and thoughts, I can wait it out, trusting in Jesus, and while my mind and body rage around me in corruption, I can deny participation by remaining in the center of God's love and acceptance.

If I'm failing, already gone after the fleshy drives, it doesn't matter, I know I am still forgiven, still accepted, and realizing this truth can stop sin in it's tracks as I come back to trusting. And I can just walk away, in a heartbeat coming back into God's intent for me.

Much love!

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it was CS Lewis in Mere Christianity who compared us to the the pilot of a wrecked ship. I can relate, brother!...I have mental illness...I can wait it out, trusting in Jesus, and while my mind and body rage around me in corruption, I can deny participation by remaining in the center of God's love and acceptance....If I'm failing, already gone after the fleshy drives, it doesn't matter, I know I am still forgiven, still accepted, and realizing this truth can stop sin in it's tracks as I come back to trusting. And I can just walk away, in a heartbeat coming back into God's intent for me.
Amen! I am another who "can relate." Been a perfectionist most of my life, but,
found out the only One Consistent in my failing life, is the "Peace Of God That
Passeth all understanding," That He Gave me on The Very Precious Day that
"I met Him!" The following is my Main Stay when UNsatisfied in my own
Imperfections and weaknesses, borrowed from GRACE Word For infirmities:

"And He {CHRIST} Said Unto me, MY GRACE Is Sufficient
For thee: For MY Strength Is Made Perfect in weakness.
Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities,
that The Power Of CHRIST May Rest Upon me!"
(2 Corinthians 12:9 cp 2 Corinthians 11:23-30)
Amen?

GRACE And Peace...

Reactions: Lambano

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is so much that I found but I will try to keep this brief.

A popular Christian song lyric goes "perfection is my enemy".

The Bible is not against perfection. God desires that we are perfect. I looked up the word perfect in Scripture and found is over 120 times in the KJV translation.

Our society tells us that perfection is an impossible standard and to strive for it is psychologically unhealthy.

But God's Word not only says perfection towards God is possible but God expects this from all His followers.

Here are just four verses out of the dozens I found on perfection.

Matthew 5:47-48

King James Version

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Deuteronomy 18:13

King James Version

13 Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God.

2 Corinthians 13:11

King James Version

11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Colossians 1:28

King James Version

28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Why has perfection gotten such a bad rap even amongst Christian circles?

I think its part of fallen human nature to resist being perfectly obedient to God.

But rather than reject perfection as this impossible standard no one can achieve, we should truly ask how God feels about it.

Maybe some of what we've been taught is wrong and God is right. Maybe we should humble ourselves and ask for hearts that are perfect before the Lord.

Perfection is an English word trying to explain the Hebrew. The Hebrew word תמים tamiym. In the strong's means complete, whole, entire, sound. Even these English meanings don't convey the depths of Hebrew. But from these you get the picture that it's different from our English word perfection, which by the way gets thrown around very lightly these days. No it's not about a behavior, or looks as the beauty industry so disgracefully pushes. Our societies continues to push for this perfection in just about every area of life, trying to attain to this level.
When understood from the Hebraic perspective you will be loosed from the shackles of perfection that our societies want to keep us bound in.

NKJ Genesis 25:27 So the boys grew. And Esau was a skillful hunter, a man of the field; but Jacob was a mild man, dwelling in tents.

Jacob was a mild man. Mild in this verse has the same root for the Hebrew word above. It is contrasting two peoples one being Esau and the other being Jacob who was to become Israel. One is of the fields symbolic of the world and it's ways the other dwelt in tents or house symbolic of "The House" the house of God, dwelling in His presence. This is what makes one whole, have a sound mind or complete. Which can only be found in Him and living His ways. Following His instructions.

Shalom and Blessings

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mostly due to the unbelievable percentage of corrupt churches out there.

Churches are run today like a business. The early Christian church did not have the circus theme of "come one, come all" like Barnum and Bailey's Circus. If people were not living up to a standard, they were dealt with or excommunicated.

In the beginning of Christendom, believers needed churches. A place to come together and teach about, learn about, and worship, Christ.

Today, churches need believers. They need congregation. Why? Because they need money. The more members of the church, the more potential income for the church. It's not about saving anybody's soul and it sure aint about the Truth.

Well, they can't sell a menu that is picky about who you are or how you live. They have to water down the standards as much as possible. You've got almost every major church out there now preaching that all Christians are sinners ... for crying out loud.

The modern church IS the modern world today. There's almost no difference between them at all. The numbers of true committed Christians, who actually read and study and know anything about their Bibles today, is woefully low, and getting lower.

God gives a standard for what He expects of those He gives His promises to. It can be found in His Word. Most modern Christians believe we don't have to do much more than profess to be a Christian and we can go right on living just how we've always lived in full forgiveness from God and the promise of a heavenly paradise awaiting us when we die.

Shame, shame ... shame.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ancient

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mostly due to the unbelievable percentage of corrupt churches out there.

Churches are run today like a business. The early Christian church did not have the circus theme of "come one, come all" like Barnum and Bailey's Circus. If people were not living up to a standard, they were dealt with or excommunicated.

In the beginning of Christendom, believers needed churches. A place to come together and teach about, learn about, and worship, Christ.

Today, churches need believers. They need congregation. Why? Because they need money. The more members of the church, the more potential income for the church. It's not about saving anybody's soul and it sure aint about the Truth.

Well, they can't sell a menu that is picky about who you are or how you live. They have to water down the standards as much as possible. You've got almost every major church out there now preaching that all Christians are sinners ... for crying out loud.

The modern church IS the modern world today. There's almost no difference between them at all. The numbers of true committed Christians, who actually read and study and know anything about their Bibles today is woefully low, and getting lower.

God gives a standard for what He expects of those He gives His promises to. It can be found in His Word. Most modern Christians believe we don't have to do much more than profess to be a Christian and we can go right on living just how we've always lived in full forgiveness from God and the promise of a heavenly paradise awaiting us when we die.

Shame, shame ... shame.

I have been lied to about many biblical principles over the years. To this day, my husband and I are still unraveling things that we were taught versus what is actually in the Bible.

Im afraid money drives a lot of messages because if we read our Bibles ourselves, we would reject people trying to sell a perverted message.

Reactions: GEN2REV

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is so much that I found but I will try to keep this brief.

A popular Christian song lyric goes "perfection is my enemy".

The Bible is not against perfection. God desires that we are perfect. I looked up the word perfect in Scripture and found is over 120 times in the KJV translation.

Our society tells us that perfection is an impossible standard and to strive for it is psychologically unhealthy.

But God's Word not only says perfection towards God is possible but God expects this from all His followers.

Here are just four verses out of the dozens I found on perfection.

Matthew 5:47-48

King James Version

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Deuteronomy 18:13

King James Version

13 Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God.

2 Corinthians 13:11

King James Version

11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Colossians 1:28

King James Version

28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

I think its part of fallen human nature to resist being perfectly obedient to God.

But rather than reject perfection as this impossible standard no one can achieve, we should truly ask how God feels about it.

Maybe some of what we've been taught is wrong and God is right. Maybe we should humble ourselves and ask for hearts that are perfect before the Lord.
Did Christ not say to be perfect like him?

Reactions: GEN2REV and Wynona