Perscribed mediacion help

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Do you think it is ok to take medication for anxiety? I'm not sure what God thinks of this. I feel like I'm not trusting in Him and trusting in man instead. Please help.

Learning

Dec 12, 2007
Hi Mikey. Others may have a different opinion so make sure you read them all and pray about it. I have been on anxiety medication for about three weeks. I suffered for about two months and even with prayer I wasn't getting any better. I was told the word physician is mentioned in the Bible a couple of times. I don't know the reason why I couldn't get better before. Am being treated for depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. I thank Him so often for His help and for the medication. I have come to see it not that I don't trust Him, but as Him helping me in the way He sees fit.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
Mikey, God gave doctors their knowledge for a reason. It is okay to take medication for any type of mental or physical illness. I have needed medication for epilepsy in the past and will take it again if needed. I am looking at needing it again as it looks like my epilepsy is playing up again. If you need it then I would say to take it.Learning, I went for years having epileptic attacks and taking medication for it. I also wondered why God wouldn't heal me and why I kept having attacks. I started to realize that God had used and is using my epilepsy to reach others. Some people with illnesses won't listen to a healthy person - with nothing wrong. They have listened to me though as I have struggles and problems due to my illness - as do they due to their illness, etc. I gave my illness up to God then. I also asked Him to use my illness in whatever way He saw fit for His glory. Could this be what He is up to with you?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I agree with the above there has always been physicians that prescribed herbs and cures God gave us plants with healing capability's there is nothing wrong with taking a perscribed medication as the doctor perscribes it.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
Mikey, I agree with kriss. Always make sure that you take any medication in consultation with a doctor. They know the side effects and how it is likely to affect you. If you have any misgivings talk them over thoroughly with your doctor. Learn all you can from the doctor about the medication so you can make informed choices. A good doctor won't mind you asking questions. Pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit as He will help you. God bless.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Listen to Nyoka Mikeysometimes if the prescription is not just right they have to adjust it so talk to your doctor and find out what to watch for so if you have any adverse effects you can get them readjusted.

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Thank you everyone you have eased my mind. I have been living with social anxiety for 5(?) years. I know God can use everything for good and I know God has a plan for my life. I think this saves me from becoming depressed. I am also getting counseling, so I hope not to be on medication for too long.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(Mikey;45551)
Thank you everyone you have eased my mind. I have been living with social anxiety for 5(?) years. I know God can use everything for good and I know God has a plan for my life. I think this saves me from becoming depressed. I am also getting counseling, so I hope not to be on medication for too long.
I will be praying for you. Use the medication for as long as you need but don't stop taking it without discussing it with your doctor first. Some medications have to be withdrawn slowly or they can cause serious problems.

TooInvolved1

Jan 22, 2008
Pray on it. In general I don't think it's wrong to use meds... no more wrong than it is to go to docs at all.

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I have serious medical problems for which I take meds. However, we must draw the line somewhere and rely on the Lord. Is anxiety a medical problem that requires pills to correct, or would trusting the Lord more and not allowing life to get us down (and keep us down) solve the problem?

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
(Jon-Marc;45777)
I have serious medical problems for which I take meds. However, we must draw the line somewhere and rely on the Lord. Is anxiety a medical problem that requires pills to correct, or would trusting the Lord more and not allowing life to get us down (and keep us down) solve the problem?
I don't know sometimes I feel alright, but I don't like leaving the house alone and I have panic attacks. I have unwanted thoughts too, like OCD. I don't know how to make friends I am scared of people. I am not depressed though I thank God for that. I still don't know if I'm going to use it until I talk with my counselor some more. Sometimes I think, I don't need this I am fine with God, but when I go to social situations it is a very different story. But I agree with you Jon-Marc. People are put on medication too quickly and easily.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(Mikey;45793)
I don't know sometimes I feel alright, but I don't like leaving the house alone and I have panic attacks. I have unwanted thoughts too, like OCD. I don't know how to make friends I am scared of people. I am not depressed though I thank God for that. I still don't know if I'm going to use it until I talk with my counselor some more. Sometimes I think, I don't need this I am fine with God, but when I go to social situations it is a very different story. But I agree with you Jon-Marc. People are put on medication too quickly and easily.
Mikey this is why you need to make sure you are well informed about the medication they want you on. If you are well informed you can make a good choice in this. I agree to let the Holy Spirit guide you on this. As a short term aide it may be of benefit to you. You may find that the medication is helpful while you are learning to cope with the situations you have trouble with. You may not have to stay on it permanently but just until you learn other coping skills. If you find it is of no help then talk to your counselor/doctor again about it. Ultimately only you can make this choice and you must go with what is right for you - in consultation with your doctor.

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Yes I always research all the drugs I'm prescribed. He hasn't given me a prescription yet so I don't know what it is specifically.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(Mikey;45814)
Yes I always research all the drugs I'm prescribed. He hasn't given me a prescription yet so I don't know what it is specifically.
It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I would suggest that you tell your counselor that you don't want to be on the medication permanently and why you don't want to. They might be able to help you with this goal.

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
(Nyoka;45818)
It sounds like you are doing all the right things. I would suggest that you tell your counselor that you don't want to be on the medication permanently and why you don't want to. They might be able to help you with this goal.
Thats the plan already it's suppose to be temporary.

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Hey, Mikey. I have a lot of experience in this field, only because of trial and error. I am a migraine sufferer. I have had these for about 20 years now. Of course, the "quick fix" for my doctors was to try meds to cure me. They began with many prevention meds-beta blockers,etc. Then I moved to the anti-depressant meds. These do help, but I still have the headaches. I do have some of the same characteristics you described at times, but I can tell you that some of the meds treat this and depression. An example is Zoloft. It is for social anxiety and depression. That may be one to check into even though you aren't depressed. Also, be careful about the anxiety meds, as they are addicting. You may find it takes a higher and higher dose of these to be effective. That's what I don't like about them. Also, they tend to make you sleepy. I was prescribed Clonapin when having an anxiety attack, but I don't take it very often at all, as I don't want to be out of it. I just quote scriptures in my mind instead and breathe deeply, but I do take 1/2 of the Zoloft every night (the lowest dosage I can-1/2 of 50 mg.tabs). Of course, now they have Topomax for migraines and this has been a tremendous help! I hope this information has helped you. May the Lord direct your steps. Oh, I did work in a hospital pharmacy while going to college, so I know how much pharmacists know and I saw how the doctors would even come and ask them questions about the meds. Sometimes I call my local pharmacist to ask about drug interactions before I will call the doctor. After all, that's their specialty!

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(Mikey;45793)
Mikey:About 30 years ago when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I used to have anxiety a lot of how you describe it. First of all, make sure there is not a physical basis behind it all. If I may sound a tad preachy, take your vitamins, and eat right, especially according to the bible. Even if you have a condition like low blood sugar for example, this will help it. Also, don't underestimate disease, either. Mine was brought on by mono. I was very run down. Depressed and/or anxious people often lack energy---- an underlying physical problem that affects the moods as well since our brain is an organ.Now, once you check that all out, weigh very carefully the adverse effects of drugs. I like to basically bash drug companies and ineffectual pills, or ones that have nasty side effects. I agree with you that drugs should be avoided at all costs (and save you costs
biggrin.gif
)On the spiritual side, learn the bible well. Make it your own and discover its truth as if it was solely revealed to you. Once I started doing that, I lost the focus in myself and forgot the anxieties. People who excessively dwell on their anxieties and bother others over again about them basically do not want to learn and dwell on themselves instead and stagnate their growth. It is a subtle form of self-centeredness.I know you will not be like that because it sounds to me as if you want to improve, and if you keep at it, you will. I know---- been there done that and went from a dependent person that turned people off to one that is independent and confident to be around others.Wishing you the best of luck here.

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
(tim_from_pa;46287)
Mikey:About 30 years ago when I was in my late teens and early 20's, I used to have anxiety a lot of how you describe it. First of all, make sure there is not a physical basis behind it all. If I may sound a tad preachy, take your vitamins, and eat right, especially according to the bible. Even if you have a condition like low blood sugar for example, this will help it. Also, don't underestimate disease, either. Mine was brought on by mono. I was very run down. Depressed and/or anxious people often lack energy---- an underlying physical problem that affects the moods as well since our brain is an organ.Now, once you check that all out, weigh very carefully the adverse effects of drugs. I like to basically bash drug companies and ineffectual pills, or ones that have nasty side effects. I agree with you that drugs should be avoided at all costs (and save you costs
biggrin.gif
)On the spiritual side, learn the bible well. Make it your own and discover its truth as if it was solely revealed to you. Once I started doing that, I lost the focus in myself and forgot the anxieties. People who excessively dwell on their anxieties and bother others over again about them basically do not want to learn and dwell on themselves instead and stagnate their growth. It is a subtle form of self-centeredness.I know you will not be like that because it sounds to me as if you want to improve, and if you keep at it, you will. I know---- been there done that and went from a dependent person that turned people off to one that is independent and confident to be around others.Wishing you the best of luck here.
Thanks tim, my diet it pretty good, I can't eat wheat which is good, cause it just turns into sugar anyway. I'm basically on a diet of fat, meat, and some fruits and vegetables, no sugar. and no processed foods. I don't take vitamins because I don't think synthetic vitamins do anything. It's defiantly helped my anxiety from the high-card, high-sugar diet. I believe diet effects us a lot. I take codliver oil everyday too.Some days I feel fine and others not. I went to a campfire last night and felt alright, although I only talked to people I knew. I'm starting to think there's nothing wrong with me, perhaps everyone feels embarrassed around new people. Maybe it's because I like to talk about Jesus a lot and others don't know what to say or disagree? and it starts arguments. That's what I felt last night, more than mental problems. anyway thanks for the comment
smile.gif

His By Grace

Dec 28, 2007
Yes, I do agree to avoid meds if at all possible. As a matter of fact, it's very difficult to get off of anti-depressants once you start taking them. It has been quite a battle for me. I began taking them innocently in my early 20's strictly for the headaches, but that was due to my poor research. Anyway, a friend of mine loves the doctor that preaches all natural medicine.(As an aside,I have tried some of these and my headaches got worse; not sure why!) His name is Doug Kaughman (?) ; not sure how to spell the last name. Also, the book by Jordan Reuben on the Biblical diet was well-liked by another friend of mine b/c it talks about detoxifying our bodies to where we wouldn't even need to wear deoderant! He is a Jewish Christian who has taken complete scriptures to explain how we should eat. I'm quite sure if I ate better and exercised more I would have less headaches; also, less stress in life would help. Well, Mikey, you've got a lot to think about. We wish you the very best God has for you, friend.
smile.gif