Personal Revelation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you, that puts me in the best of company:

Have you never read in the Scriptures: ‘The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone. This was the Lord’s doing, And it is marvelous in our eyes’?
So, comparing yourself to Christ.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not downplay supernatural at all. But I do recognize the bible does not overplay it. Our freewill is ours, not supernatural.

First off, I like the italics. Much easier to read, so thumbs up on that one. I appreciate it.

But about our discussion, do you believe that 1 John 4:1 makes indirect reference to demonic spirits or no?

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First off, I like the italics. Much easier to read, so thumbs up on that one. I appreciate it.

But about our discussion, do you believe that 1 John 4:1 makes indirect reference to demonic spirits or no?

In some cases yes. But it also means people's attitudes, motivations, goals, etc.

You cannot blanket the verse to always mean the demons, angels or the holy spirit.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Just realized John the baptist spoke prophetically concerning Jesus in John 1:29
"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

Then later, while he was in prison, he sent messengers Matthew 11:3
"And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?

Jesus' answered Matthew 11:4-6
"Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me."

John the baptist doubted, and Jesus didn't answer yes I am he. He showed many witnesses to his ministry, as the miracles themselves were foretold in Isaiah 61:1.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In some cases yes. But it also means people's attitudes, motivations, goals, etc.

You cannot blanket the verse to always mean the demons, angels or the holy spirit.

The first three verses read, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."

Do you take the spirit of Antichrist here to be demonic, yes or no?

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The first three verses read, "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world."

Do you take the spirit of Antichrist here to be demonic, yes or no?
Good verse to remember there. When ppl speak of revelation and then seem to indicate that they mean something outside Scripture itself, I'm immediately doubtful that the word revelation is being used in its primary, Biblical sense.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good verse to remember there. When ppl speak of revelation and then seem to indicate that they mean something outside Scripture itself, I'm immediately doubtful that the word revelation is being used in its primary, Biblical sense.
My take:
Yes God speaks to men. He answers His children that speak to Him in humility.
We should never just assume that God's not going to speak to a person. Likewise, we should never just assume that everything we hear is from God. Rather, let's approach everything with humility: listening thoroughly to God's words found in scripture/His prophets, and double checking that we're listening the to Spirit.

Reactions: bbyrd009

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My take:
Yes God speaks to men. He answers His children that speak to Him in humility.
We should never just assume that God's not going to speak to a person. Likewise, we should never just assume that everything we hear is from God. Rather, let's approach everything with humility: listening thoroughly to God's words found in scripture/His prophets, and double checking that we're listening the to Spirit.
I'm sure there is some truth here; but I would also make a big distinction between what I may say God has said to me, and what God says in His Word.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure there is some truth here; but I would also make a big distinction between what I may say God has said to me, and what God says in His Word.
That's fair: remember what God says to you individually is important, but what God says in scripture is super important.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's fair: remember what God says to you individually is important, but what God says in scripture is super important.
And also, what I may think God says to me may be intensely personal to me but subjective, while what He says in His Word is normative and objective.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And also, what I may think God says to me may be intensely personal to me but subjective, while what He says in His Word is normative and objective.
I'm a little hesitant on the words "-tive" words here, as in practice I find people use a variety meanings for them.

I would phrase things here as "what God says in scripture is for the world, what God says to me specifically is for me specifically".

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm a little hesitant on the words "-tive" words here, as in practice I find people use a variety meanings for them.

I would phrase things here as "what God says in scripture is for the world, what God says to me specifically is for me specifically".
I'm nit sure I would agree entirely; because who knows whether what I may think God is saying to me - however intensely - is actually more about my imagination than about what God clearly has revealed in the Scriptures?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm nit sure I would agree entirely; because who knows whether what I may think God is saying to me - however intensely - is actually more about my imagination than about what God clearly has revealed in the Scriptures?
You're part of the world, aren't you So everything written in scripture applies to you. If X is contradicting what is clearly in scripture (and confirmed by asking God Himself), then logically X must be incorrect.

Now, if Y doesn't contradict scripture, and you feel it's from God, then it's a possible that it's from God for you-- and the possibility can be investigated. Obviously if it's from God for you, it's for you, and not for Bob.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Just realized John the baptist spoke prophetically concerning Jesus in John 1:29
"The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

Then later, while he was in prison, he sent messengers Matthew 11:3
"And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?

Jesus' answered Matthew 11:4-6
"Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see: The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me."

John the baptist doubted, and Jesus didn't answer yes I am he. He showed many witnesses to his ministry, as the miracles themselves were foretold in Isaiah 61:1.

And Jesus also confirmed about John the baptist. It was written by prophets Isaiah and Malachi. People must have read several times in scriptures. Even then it had to be confirmed by God!
John the Baptist knew that Jesus was the promised savior and needed Jesus to say it himself. The people thought that John the Baptist was a prophet. They did not know the revelation of him in scriptures perhaps. These two examples, God had to confirm. I'm sure whenever the revelation is from God, He will certainly confirm it Himself, as He had always done!:)
We have to watch and pray!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: lforrest
D

Dave L

If your really believe there are no prophets today, you should really reconsider that as you read the Apostle Paul wrote here:

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:" Eph 4:11-13

You should also study just what is meant in the scripture by the word, prophet. It does not only mean one who predicts future events, but it may includes on with such an ability.

Notice especially the purpose of the five ministries mentioned in the verses cited: For the perfection of the saints. This is that least part of the help given by God to allow us accomplish what Jesus mentions here:

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matt 5:48
If you would read your bible, we still have the apostles in writing, that doesn't change, like to self proclaimed "apostles" do so often today.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you would read your bible, we still have the apostles in writing, that doesn't change, like to self proclaimed "apostles" do so often today.
Does it really say look only to the book?

Yes, there are false ministers who were never called by God, and there are ministers who were called by God but then lead themselves. Are there not also some few who are called and chosen and faithful to God in their calling? You lean on the older theologians, but you are seemingly a well lettered man able to read and study by your own head, the Bible as well as other writings. Others cannot so God being better aware of our frailties than we made a Way for everyone. Still not many follow it, but no poor [materially] man nor any uneducated man nor any man with a below average mental ability, nor any person who cannot read or obtain a written Bible is left without hope.

The Way is found in the writing and bringing it all to Life within the person [onto his heart] who has opened his door to God. Anyone can do that. God will provide anything else that is needed:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Last edited:

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
So God is limited to the scriptures? Seems to me, God is not limited to simply words in a book.....

the Most High is everywhere, thats what so many just dont get, they analyze words in the scripture yet dont hear the spirit telling them to look over there.
Peter and Andrew were out fishing one day, and Jesus showed up.

Reactions: ScottA and aspen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Most High is everywhere, thats what so many just dont get, they analyze words in the scripture yet dont hear the spirit telling them to look over there.
Peter and Andrew were out fishing one day, and Jesus showed up.

God can do anything he wants but will not do anything he has not put a self limit on. The key phrase is wants to do.

So many things Christ could have done but didn't because he set aside his Godly powers and knowledge while in the flesh.

So those who expect God to do something more than written need to know what the bible says about where he set the limits.

So yes, the bible points out where he did things humans didn't expect. But it also points out many do not understand what he has already made known he will not do.

So be careful in calling what you're telling yourself or a demon is whispering as being from God.