Please Argue with me about Head Coverings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well again, this seems to be suggesting that the woman's glory is her hair, whereas I think Paul was saying it was her submission. Under the above definition, all women would be responsible to hide their hair, i.e their glory.

So not to be confusing, Paul did say that a wife's long hair is a glory to her, but this is in the context of it being a sign of her submitting to her husband.

4 Every husband praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head. 5 But every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head... 10 For this reason the wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head... 15 If a wife has long hair, it is a glory to her; for her hair is given to her for a covering. 16 But if anyone seems to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor do the churches of God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here is the deal.

I stumbled on old pictures and felt guilty for giving up my covering. Honestly I quit out of pride and I was afraid I wouldn't be ever seen as marriage potential because of it. There, I said it.

And I can't change my mind and I have convictions, and every argument that I know of I have the answer to already, so I need you guys to argue with me and see if someone can change my mind.

It will take me a few hours to get back but I'll contest any responses- unless someone has one I can't deny.

Warning: I spent years studying this.
The whole deal makes no sense to me if in Jesus there is neither male or female.
If a woman wants to shave her head, so be it....I see no shame in it......and why should there be.
I have no idea why some women today consider this cultural hangover as a serious matter.

Reactions: Lambano

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole deal makes no sense to me if in Jesus there is neither male or female.

In Christ there is no male or female, but in the world there most certainly is. In the same breath he said there were no "bondmen or free," but they continued to operate under those societal designations in everyday life. And there were most certainly still distinctions being made within the churches between husbands and wives, and how each played separate roles in the marriage relationship.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I think the glory comes through the act of submission; that each is freely willing to submit, and so honor the one above him or her by doing so.

Well again, this seems to be suggesting that the woman's glory is her hair, whereas I think Paul was saying it was her submission. Under the above definition, all women would be responsible to hide their hair, i.e their glory.

What you are actually getting into with that teaching is that the beauty of women should be something they don't seek to flaunt, which is a separate thing, IMO; separate teaching. It is well-supported in scripture, however.
Right but you're not just doing it for the sake of it, down to Moses removing his covering it goes way back. That's mentioned somewhere in Corinthians too, but can't remember what part.

But most of all it is a symbol of obedience to Gods angels that she is in submission to Gods natural order and this is just my thought after, keep in mind just my belief- that symbol of obedience as a sign to the angels, increases her protection.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a woman wants to shave her head, so be it....I see no shame in it......and why should there be.
I have no idea why some women today consider this cultural hangover as a serious matter.
Since we're talking Galatians...

It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.
Galatians 5:1

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But most of all it is a symbol of obedience to Gods angels that she is in submission to Gods natural order and this is just my thought after, keep in mind just my belief- that symbol of obedience as a sign to the angels, increases her protection.

Essentially, yes. There are two ways to interpret the phrase, "For the angel's sake." One is that they once lusted after women in Old Testament times, and since married women are often beautiful, the angels should not be tempted. The other more likely interpretation, however, is that angels watched over the people of God and reported to Him when some were in sin, at which time God might pronounce judgment upon them that the angels would then carry out.

This is likely why Paul was giving the warning. No head covering for a beautiful married woman back then was essentially like a sign of rebellion, and was tempting other MEN in the congregation to sin. It not only exposed her beauty but practically advertised, "Under new management, and open for business."

Reactions: DuckieLady

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right but you're not just doing it for the sake of it, down to Moses removing his covering it goes way back. That's mentioned somewhere in Corinthians too, but can't remember what part.

Revelation 2:1 KJV
[1] Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
Why would John be commanded to write an epistle to an Angel?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Essentially, yes. There are two ways to interpret the phrase, "For the angel's sake." One is that they once lusted after women in Old Testament times, and since married women are often beautiful, the angels should not be tempted. The other more likely interpretation, however, is that angels watched over the people of God and reported to Him when some were in sin, at which time God might pronounce judgment upon them that the angels would then carry out.

This is likely why Paul was giving the warning. No head covering for a beautiful married woman back then was essentially like a sign of rebellion, and was tempting other MEN in the congregation to sin. It not only exposed her beauty but practically advertised, "Under new management, and open for business."
I can see that angels are 'ministering spirits' (Hebrews 1). Some of the implications of 'open for business' are hard to get one's mind around.....

Reactions: Waiting on him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
[1] Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
I've long thought it refers to the spiritual element within the local church...

Reactions: Waiting on him

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't answer this to the interpretation that you desire, I'm not Catholic. I apologize

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

Since it says "judge for yourself", I judge it is proper for a woman to pray with her head uncovered. But this is your call, not mine.

Verse 15 is interesting. It says your hair is your covering. The only time my wife wore a covering in church was when she was undergoing chemo treatments and had no hair. So wear your hair long.
My comment pertains to vs 14....how does nature teach you that it is a dishonour for a man to have long hair?

In my picture here from a couple of years ago my hair is in a pony tail reaching my lower back. I'm not homosexual nor did I ever consider myself dishonoured and now that I have it clipped short I don't consider my self with more honour. Personally I think the fashion of the day must of got into Paul's likes and dislikes to the point of giving it a religious overlay unless Paul was talking about men being effeminate (homosexual)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see that angels are 'ministering spirits' (Hebrews 1). Some of the implications of 'open for business' are hard to get one's mind around.....

Think of it as if a wife suddenly stopped wearing her wedding ring and started dressing much more seductively, sort of like testing the waters.

Same thing. Not wearing a head covering back then was essentially "advertising" in the same way. Hence the prohibition.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My comment pertains to vs 14....how does nature teach you that it is a dishonour for a man to have long hair?

In my picture here from a couple of years ago my hair is in a pony tail reaching my lower back. I'm not homosexual nor did I ever consider myself dishonoured and now that I have it clipped short I don't consider my self with more honour. Personally I think the fashion of the day must of got into Paul's like and dislikes to the point of giving it a religious overlay unless Paul was talking about men being effeminate (homosexual)
That portion doesnt make sense to me, given Samson and Hannah's promise Samuel would never be shaven.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Think of it as if a wife suddenly stopped wearing her wedding ring and started dressing much more seductively, sort of like testing the waters.

Same thing. Not wearing a head covering back then was essentially "advertising" in the same way. Hence the prohibition.
I guess my thought is that the venerable great-grandmothers of today: in the mid-60s the hems of their skirts were up.

Then after a few years they were down.

Then they were up again.

Then - like the Grand Old Duke of York - they were neither up not down, or both, or whatever.

But this is not an infallible guide to whether the Christians among them were spiritually minded or not....