Please Argue with me about Head Coverings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There one has to dig deeper into Scripture.

Do not cease praying, changes going to a House dedicated as Gods House of Prayer and a Closet at Home to enter and Pray...TO Anywhere, Anytime.

So does a woman’s head need to be COVERED, 24-7, because SHE MIGHT, Anywhere, Anytime....PRAY?

I would say no....IF......the woman IS CONVERTED.
Because, a CONVERTED woman’s COVERING IS Gods Power, Which IS Gods LIGHT, and fully sufficient.
No not all of the time. But "pray unceasingly" and that I do A LOT, means I don't want to go looking for it every 15 minutes and then take it off again.

That part is just practicality

Reactions: Lambano

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Y'all are making my head feel so super dishonored right now. Cut it out. :D

Go cover your head, LoL!
Keep in mind we ALL did this, every Christian in every country and culture for over 2,000 years until the last 150ish years.

Agreed, but now what happens now that society no longer observes the custom? You're not particularly egregious with it as I recall. It looked more like just a scarf type thing; an ornamentation. But look at how Muslim women are looked at now in our society in the West. I can rarely even get them to make eye-contact because they are so used to being frowned upon I believe.

Head coverings in our society today make one look weird and abnormal instead of normal and proper and godly, which changes matters somewhat.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess I would say if you spent years studying this, you are probably feeling convicted and to do what you believe is right. I'd have that same battle every year when Halloween came along until I officially gave it up.
@Mayflower Well, one year at Halloween I posted a video about carving pumpkins...(my wife's favorite flavor, by the way)...and....

Someone objected to the video about carving pumpkins because... the lady doing the carving had some tattoos.... :)

(You can't win, right?)

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[
Go cover your head, LoL!

Agreed, but now what happens now that society no longer observes the custom? You're not particularly egregious with it as I recall. It looked more like just a scarf type thing; an ornamentation. But look at how Muslim women are looked at now in our society in the West. I can rarely even get them to make eye-contact because they are so used to being frowned upon I believe.

Head coverings in our society today make one look weird and abnormal instead of normal and proper and godly, which changes matters somewhat.

I understand your historical interpretation, but do you understand the actual outright purpose of the covering in spiritual terms?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand your historical interpretation, but do you understand the actual outright purpose of the covering in spiritual terms?

It goes back to a proper understanding of marriage, and that the husband is to reflect Christ to his wife, while the wife is to reflect the church to her husband. The head covering was an outward symbol and reminder of this agreement, whereby she was publicly pronouncing by wearing it that she was under the authority of her husband, just as he was under the authority of Christ, and Christ under God.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This part I can explain, it is an example to us given by nature, but also the words in Greek are different.

In this one it is a literal covering, peribolaiou, while in the others katakalupto it is a removable whole covering.

I hope I got that right but there's a lot out there to read about it and I'm not good at using a tablet yet lol

I am sorry your wife went through that..
Au contraire, katakalupto is verb, indicating the act of covering, not the covering itself.

But let's approach this from 1 Corinthians 11:2 in which Paul refers to these instructions as a paradosis, a tradition. A tradition, not a command. Judge for yourself, says verse 13. (Why is this verse here?) Jesus was pretty adamant about not turning traditions into commandments. But again, it's a matter of conscience, and if your conscience says wear a hat, make it a pretty one.

[Okay, maybe a baseball hat would be more practical for non-church situations.]

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's interesting; rather like the ref.s to angels in Revelation's letters to the seven churches in Asia?
1 Corinthians 9:5 KJV
[5] Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go cover your head, LoL!

I can put a mask on my head. I have one of those. :D (okay y'all. I put my two cents in and joked a little bit, I'll just read along. I honestly don't know too much to post about it. I don't believe God looks at the outward appearance of a man though, but he looks at the heart (1 Samuel 16:7)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That part is just practicality
@FluffyYellowDuck I suppose an (oblique) analogy would be, if say (hypothetically) your son wore ear studs and some hypertraditionalist tried to tell him that all the women can wear earrings in church but not any men, then the idea of an earring rack for the men at the back of the church would just be totally impractical....

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It goes back to a proper understanding of marriage, and that the husband is to reflect Christ to his wife, while the wife is to reflect the church to her husband. The head covering was an outward symbol and reminder of this agreement, whereby she was publicly pronouncing by wearing it that she was under the authority of her husband, just as he was under the authority of Christ, and Christ under God.
Right, and not to shame him by throwing her own glory before God, and mans glory, which is the woman.

The man is the glory of God, but woman came of the man.

so we also believe that the woman who covers her hair, her glory, before coming to the throne, she willingly does what the fallen angels did not.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can put a mask on my head. I have one of those. :D

Reminds me of the terrible extremes some people have gone to to avoid covid.

SL66EgHL1wFm_640x360.jpg

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rebecca placed her veil apon seeing Isaac it was her suggestion that he would be her covering, her head. So he took her into Sarah’s tent and consummated the marriage.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Right, and not to shame him by throwing her own glory before God, and mans glory, which is the woman.

The man is the glory of God, but woman came of the man.

so we also believe that the woman who covers her hair, her glory, before coming to the throne, she willingly does what the fallen angels did not.
I do like the point about willingness and humility; this begins in the heart...

Reactions: Mayflower

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To my understanding, Paul’s argument on the need for a head covering is based on the principle of theocratic headship, which he stated at 1 Corinthians 11:3: “The head of every man is the Christ; in turn the head of a woman is the man; in turn the head of the Christ is God.” So the head covering becomes necessary for a woman when she is performing some function or duty that normally should be performed by her husband or by a dedicated Christian brother, and that she is performing in a temporary way or due to special circumstances. It shows that she is not usurping his headship.

The important thing is not the head covering in itself, but the heart attitude and proper theocratic conscience of the woman wearing it. She appreciates that this is God’s arrangement, and wears the head covering primarily out of respect for God and His arrangement of things as far as the sexes are concerned. God has assigned the man his role as family head, but this is headship and should not be confused with dictatorship. It only means that he has responsibilities towards his wife and family members under his roof.....it is not a position of power, though some have seen it this way.
In Genesis the woman was created as a "complement" of the man....meaning that the two made up a partnership, neither of which was balanced without the other.

A woman can have a good conscience in this matter only if, besides wearing the head covering at the appropriate time, she has a wholesome respect for the one whose headship is being honored by it.

My 2c worth....

Reactions: DuckieLady

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, I think the glory comes through the act of submission; that each is freely willing to submit, and so honor the one above him or her by doing so.

Well again, this seems to be suggesting that the woman's glory is her hair, whereas I think Paul was saying it was her submission. Under the above definition, all women would be responsible to hide their hair, i.e their glory.

What you are actually getting into with that teaching is that the beauty of women should be something they don't seek to flaunt, which is a separate thing, IMO; separate teaching. It is well-supported in scripture, however.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A woman can have a good conscience in this matter only if, besides wearing the head covering at the appropriate time, she has a wholesome respect for the one whose headship is being honored by it.

You know, if "the appropriate time" here were during church services only, I really wouldn't have a problem with the custom being preserved. It's outside the church where I think we'd look too much like freaks.