Please explain this.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I agree that the law is our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ (the entire Torah pointed to Messiah) , but does it cease to fulfill that function of we sin... Is our sin not indicative of having left Christ, even momentarily, ... Therefore the law is active again in pointing is to our constant need of our Saviour?
I'm not sure how to answer what you say; but verse 25 seems very strong...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The journey is being born in the flesh, which is over once a person is [actually] born again of the spirit of God.
Apparently, you really don't understand what repent means.
If you did, you'd know we're on a journey.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
After faith is come.... And that is precisely what this thread is about. What is faith, and is it complete, or alive, without obedience to the law?
Paul in Romans speaks of 'the obedience of faith' and 'obedience to the faith'; but it is definitely not a works righteousness that is in view.

B

brakelite

What I am to believe in is the God who raised Jesus from the dead; the focal point of faith by which I am imputed righteousness is the resurrection of Christ.
Don't the devils also believe in the resurrection? That wasn't what I was alluding to. What promises are we to have faith in and what actions are we to take that reflect that faith in those promises?

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
WADR we are not discussing Genesis. We are discussing Abraham. Abraham was declared righteous the moment he accepted what God said was true.
But God did not bless Abraham because of his faith.
KJV Genesis 26
3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;
4 and I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed:
5 because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Abraham, or rather his progeny and indirectly all of us, were blessed because God chose to bless us... But God could only bless us because Abraham obeyed Him.
Now apply that same lesson to us. What promises are you trusting in and what are you doing that validates that trust?

I can't believe there are 111 more posts after the one you quoted... Looks like I'm going to be reading for some time.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Abraham was RIGHT WITH GOD...Righteouis....the moment he HEARD GOD,
and obeyed Him. This was a sign that he was saved and in communion with God.
This happens in Genesis 12:1

If you believe it happened in Genesis 26...
well, you believe more in works than I do.

Reactions: Grailhunter
B

brakelite

Paul in Romans speaks of 'the obedience of faith' and 'obedience to the faith'; but it is definitely not a works righteousness that is in view.
Now you are equating obedience with "works righteousness". Ummmm, what is that?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
How is all your trying going for you? When you compare your life to all ten commandments, how do you stand up? If you Gail even in one point, are you not then guilty of all and therefore need the law because of your transgressions? Paul did say the law was for sinners, and not the righteous. But by what standard are you claiming to be righteous? By God's declaration, or your practice? And if your practice isn't up to scratch, do you not then need the law for that part which is deficient? Of course you might say then that the flesh is dead and therefore you are not under the law... Great... But if your flesh still dominates your life to the extent you are still transgressing the law, then your flesh is still very much alive is it not?
I tire of this discussion.
Go ahead and do what you want to.
Don't read the N.T.
Don't obey God.
Don't do any good deeds in His name.
Sin all you want to.
Claim righteousness by your own standard.
Believe the flesh is dead...
or alive...whatever makes you happy.

Just ignore ALL that God said and go by your own rules.

B

brakelite

Ephesians 2.9 explains what works righteousness is. (I don't follow your extrapolation, though...)
I thought that would be your response... So predictable. Soon as someone mentions obedience, they immediately respond with the accusation that obedience is being used as a pretence to being justified. You do not seem to understand how justification by faith works... Nor do you understand the result.

B

brakelite

I tire of this discussion.
Go ahead and do what you want to.
Don't read the N.T.
Don't obey God.
Don't do any good deeds in His name.
Sin all you want to.
Claim righteousness by your own standard.
Believe the flesh is dead...
or alive...whatever makes you happy.

Just ignore ALL that God said and go by your own rules.
Ummm... Okay.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I thought that would be your response... So predictable. Soon as someone mentions obedience, they immediately respond with the accusation that obedience is being used as a pretence to being justified. You do not seem to understand how justification by faith works... Nor do you understand the result.
For a fuller treatment of the subject, see Romans 3 and Romans 5.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I can't wrap my head around is the insistence that to believe means to believe He died and so you will live forever. The gospel has become, to men, just believing one part of what Jesus said, but not all of it.

Adam and Eve were told not to do something or they would die. They didn't believe Him and so they disobeyed, and so they died. If they had believed, they would not have disobeyed.

Yet we seem to think it's okay to say we believe and so our unbelief in other areas is not counted against us. Yet if we believed, we would not be disobedient. So our disobedience proves we are liars.

It's as if we think that we have a magic talisman that has made us to be saved for believing one thing while disbelieving all else.

If I say I believe Jesus that I will live, but then disbelieve what He's said about temporal provision, have I really believed Him? I've believed Him for life but haven't believed what else He said.

I clearly see that its a deal to cheat death. I would say, and not a very clever one at that, except that its clever enough to dupe many people - the majority of Christendom even!

If I buy fire insurance, it won't cover me if I am the one who sets my own house on fire. But men say, nope, we're covered even if we DO set our own house on fire. Nothing we do can make our insurance policy of no effect.

So the insurance policy becomes: I think Jesus died to make me live forever. But the insurance policy is that He made a way for us to God. It is by Gods kindness but through trust. But we define trust as only trust that we will live forever, but not trust in all else Jesus said. Trusting all else He said is an optional addendum that we can cross out. In fact, if we refuse to cross out the addendum, we are told we have fallen from Gods kindness because we are striving to trust Him completely.

I cannot wrap my head around it. Its very hideous.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What I can't wrap my head around is the insistence that to believe means to believe He died and so you will live forever. The gospel has become, to men, just believing one part of what Jesus said, but not all of it.

Adam and Eve were told not to do something or they would die. They didn't believe Him and so they disobeyed, and so they died. If they had believed, they would not have disobeyed.

Yet we seem to think it's okay to say we believe and so our unbelief in other areas is not counted against us. Yet if we believed, we would not be disobedient. So our disobedience proves we are liars.

It's as if we think that we have a magic talisman that has made us to be saved for believing one thing while disbelieving all else.

If I say I believe Jesus that I will live, but then disbelieve what He's said about temporal provision, have I really believed Him? I've believed Him for life but haven't believed what else He said.

I clearly see that its a deal to cheat death. I would say, and not a very clever one at that, except that its clever enough to dupe many people - the majority of Christendom even!

If I buy fire insurance, it won't cover me if I am the one who sets my own house on fire. But men say, nope, we're covered even if we DO set our own house on fire. Nothing we do can make our insurance policy of no effect.

So the insurance policy becomes: I think Jesus died to make me live forever. But the insurance policy is that He made a way for us to God. It is by Gods kindness but through trust. But we define trust as only trust that we will live forever, but not trust in all else Jesus said. Trusting all else He said is an optional addendum that we can cross out. In fact, if we refuse to cross out the addendum, we are told we have fallen from Gods kindness because we are striving to trust Him completely.

I cannot wrap my head around it. Its very hideous.

And you are very blessed to see it like that SBG. :)

People try to take Jesus for themselves in an unrighteous way. It's dishonest to claim Him even while disobeying His every word. But these are people who are looking to preserve their own lives...they look at Jesus as a lifeboat on a sinking ship. They want to have their place on that lifeboat guaranteed. Whereas they should be looking to help others into the boats...not themselves.

Jesus said...if we seek to save our lives...we will lose them.

But who actually listens and learns from the words of Jesus anymore???

Not modern believers...or so very few.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Speak for yourself.

Those who are on a journey have not reached their destination.
EXACTLY.
You're still on earth.
You're not in heaven yet....that is your destination.

And I happen to know what repent means.
I don't think you do.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EXACTLY.
You're still on earth.
You're not in heaven yet....that is your destination.

And I happen to know what repent means.
I don't think you do.
Like I said, "Speak for yourself."

I am in the world, but I am not of the world. The kingdom is in me. And I know it.