Please explain this.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, we’re transformed. But we are transformed by God through our faith in the relationship and our practice loving God and neighbor. We cannot phone in our sanctification. We are saved by Grace, but transformed by God through faith and participation in our relationship with God
awesome imo, ty :)

What God is and what God is not

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
All is good re witnessing and coming up with differences in what person saw.
I'm not talking about this. It doesn't matter how many women were under the cross...but I think 3.

The difference though are important because they show
1. That the Apostles and other writers did not coordinate.
2. Luke was not an eye witness and neither was Mark and I believe MAYBE only Jon was.
3. It also shows that MAYBE we don't know Jesus' EXACT words?
ah, well
wadr i believe it does matter how many women, and 3 is part right imo. I dont believe the differences show what you are trying to forward, and if you were to Quote an example i might even be able to point out why. Maybe i wouldnt be able to too though ok, but a...postulate i would like to forward here is that contrary to what most believers say and believe, which is basically your assertion there? I would at least accept as a working theory that they are all full of crap and dont know what they are talking about, ok? Might not be true, you might find one has some other truth, or whatever, dont mean they are being intentionally evil or anything, just the blind leading the blind ok, as we might see.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Yes. What started me on the journey of faith was The Late Great Planet Earth. Go figure. It wasn't until I got saved at a Pentecostal ladies' Bible study that I began to read voraciously from the Bible. I started with the NIV (the old one--I don't like the more recent edition), moved through the NASB and then the KJV and finally, the NLT. I like the NIV for the OT and the NLT and NASB for the NT. The KJV is good for memorizing passages. Because of the peculiar language, and the verse form, it flows off the tongue more easily than standard English. I still remember the passages in the KJV that our Sunday school teachers had us memorize--we recited key passages aloud, over and over. I didn't have a clue about what most of the passages meant until I was saved (except for John 3:16). I thank God for His patience with me.
Oh yeah.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart...
and lean not unto your own understanding.....

The Lord is my shepherd...
I shall not want....

Father, into your hands I commend my spirit....

and so many more....

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Very good. The tent had a title over it perhaps?:
The Elect
LOL
:D

Agreed. I'd say that the ESV is also a very good translation.
A lot of churches have gone to the ESV--probably as a compromise between those who grew up on the KJV and those who prefer a bit more modern translation. It seems okay but I just couldn't get into it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
the KJV is the bible of Empire, and all roads lead to Rome i guess huh
Oh yeah.

I shall not want....

and so many more....
those i prolly couldnt hurt much i guess...at least until the same guy who Quotes "the Lord is my Shepherd" out one side starts moaning about the world out the other, yeh?

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh yeah.

I shall not want....

and so many more....

re: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want--" I always wondered why we wouldn't "want" the Lord as our shepherd! What's funny about kids is that they will often be confused but not ask an adult for clarification. LOL Another one that always left me scratching my head was why they called Good Friday, "good". Seemed like a very bad day to me since it was when they crucified Jesus. I did NOT understand the plan of salvation at ALL. :(

Reactions: GodsGrace

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why don't you quote 51:6 where it is clear that the Psalmist, David is making just that point.

I don't see it making that point.

That answer is woefully inadequate. You made the accusation--now back it up.

NO. Because if I tell you what the heresy is, the Lord will hold me accountable for spreading that heresy further. So you can either take my word for it or else call me a liar...but I am not going to subject myself to whatever punishment might ensue if someone were to be permanently stumbled by the information that I might present to them. Because some, in their staunch defense of the NASB, have even gone to the extent of accepting the damnable heresy in question (even denying the Lord that bought them); saying that the heresy in question is supported by what is written in the original Hebrew of the verses in question. It is not; but the assertion almost caused me to lose my faith in Christ. If not for the fact that I have the gift of tongues and utilized it in the spiritual battle that ensued, I do not know that I would have survived spiritually. And if the heresy in question almost caused me to lose my faith, I do not want to be held accountable for someone else losing their faith because I told them the heresy and they accepted it as truth over the fact that they did not want to depart from the NASB as a version. I would rather you continue with the NASB (and hope that you never come across the heresy in question) than have you be stumbled by the heresy in question. However, I give the information that I do give as a warning...that if anyone continus in the NIV or the NASB, they will not be set free by the truth....but rather they will eventually stumble across a lie that might even cause them to lose their faith in Christ.

Doesn't it strike you as a bit pompous to quote yourself?

Judge ye not, lest ye be judged.

I know it was genuine because I was directed to read Scripture and I read it ALL--NIV, NASB, KJV and NLT. It finally made sense to me in ALL versions.

It is fine and dandy to read the scriptures in all versions...for you can get a better understanding of the kjv if you read what other versions have to say about certain verses...but I do not recommend holding the NASB or NIV as authoritative/inerrant as I hold the kjv to be authoritative/inerrant.

When you insist that only the KJV has the truth, you are denying others of that for which William Tyndale was martyred--reading the truth in their own language.

The kjv is written in English. If your language is English therefore, you do not need to go to watered-down translations in order to get the message in English.

All you have to do is care enough to look into the history of the KJV to find out it has been the most error ridden Bible ever printed.

What version do you therefore recommend? Is there a version that we can trust to give us the unadulterated message of the whole counsel of God? If the kjv is error-ridden, as you say, then we cannot trust it to give us the true message of the gospel. Any error found therein, might alter the message to the point that the reader would go off course that 1 degree and end up in the Pacific Ocean on his trip to Hawaii.

If the kjv is not inerrant, then it cannot be trusted to give us the message in such a way as to bring us safely home to heaven. So what version, other than the kjv, do you suggest is inerrant?

I also see the bible as the final authority the only problem is that, many Christians who filter everything through scripture, seem to have their (me too!) own interpretation...

2Pe 1:20, Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21, For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

2Co 3:12, Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
re: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want--" I always wondered why we wouldn't "want" the Lord as our shepherd! What's funny about kids is that they will often be confused but not ask an adult for clarification. LOL Another one that always left me scratching my head was why they called Good Friday, "good". Seemed like a very bad day to me since it was when they crucified Jesus. I did NOT understand the plan of salvation at ALL. :(
'Want' there seems to be used in the sense of 'lacking', i.e., I shall not lack.

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
NO. Because if I tell you what the heresy is, the Lord will hold me accountable for spreading that heresy further. So you can either take my word for it or else call me a liar...but I am not going to subject myself to whatever punishment might ensue if someone were to be permanently stumbled by the information that I might present to them. Because some, in their staunch defense of the NASB, have even gone to the extent of accepting the damnable heresy in question (even denying the Lord that bought them); saying that the heresy in question is supported by what is written in the original Hebrew of the verses in question. It is not; but the assertion almost caused me to lose my faith in Christ. If not for the fact that I have the gift of tongues and utilized it in the spiritual battle that ensued, I do not know that I would have survived spiritually. And if the heresy in question almost caused me to lose my faith, I do not want to be held accountable for someone else losing their faith because I told them the heresy and they accepted it as truth over the fact that they did not want to depart from the NASB as a version. I would rather you continue with the NASB (and hope that you never come across the heresy in question) than have you be stumbled by the heresy in question. However, I give the information that I do give as a warning...that if anyone continus in the NIV or the NASB, they will not be set free by the truth....but rather they will eventually stumble across a lie that might even cause them to lose their faith in Christ.
What nonsense. We are all adults here--no need for any fake paternalism. Punishment for causing someone to "stumble" as a result of you sharing something you believe is true? Whatever happened to--"There is now therefore, no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."? There is prune paste coming out of your ears.

Judge ye not, lest ye be judged.
Since I don't even know you, I can hardly judge you but I know kooky teaching when I see it. You talk out of both sides of your mouth and thinking that there is some magic in the KJV is mysticism. The truth cannot be stopped by the language of men nor is it confined to any one language.

It is fine and dandy to read the scriptures in all versions...for you can get a better understanding of the kjv if you read what other versions have to say about certain verses...but I do not recommend holding the NASB or NIV as authoritative/inerrant as I hold the kjv to be authoritative/inerrant.
If the KJV is all anyone will ever need, why would you approve of anyone reading any other versions to "get a better understanding of the KJV"?

The kjv is written in English.
It is an archaic variety of English which confounds. The original text of the NT was recorded in Koine Greek for a reason. It was the lingua franca of the region in that day! Standard contemporary English is OUR lingua franca. Do you not trust that God can work through any language?

What version do you therefore recommend?
I recommend any version (a real translation and not a paraphrase) that a disciple will actually READ. Having any version sitting on the shelf, collecting dust, does no one any good.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What nonsense. We are all adults here--no need for any fake paternalism. Punishment for causing someone to "stumble" as a result of you sharing something you believe is true? Whatever happened to--"There is now therefore, no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."? There is prune paste coming out of your ears.

Since I don't even know you, I can hardly judge you but I know kooky teaching when I see it. You talk out of both sides of your mouth and thinking that there is some magic in the KJV is mysticism. The truth cannot be stopped by the language of men nor is it confined to any one language.

If the KJV is all anyone will ever need, why would you approve of anyone reading any other versions to "get a better understanding of the KJV"?

It is an archaic variety of English which confounds. The original text of the NT was recorded in Koine Greek for a reason. It was the lingua franca of the region in that day! Standard contemporary English is OUR lingua franca. Do you not trust that God can work through any language?

I recommend any version (a real translation and not a paraphrase) that a disciple will actually READ. Having any version sitting on the shelf, collecting dust, does no one any good.
I partly take the point, although the mere fact that a modern version is 'easy to read' may mean that some of the sense is lost in translation. For familiarizing themselves with unfamiliar narrative then maybe for a learner of English some modern versions may have their uses. But for careful detailed study, a more formally translated version definitely brings rewards, which does take prayerful effort.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I partly take the point, although the mere fact that a modern version is 'easy to read' may mean that some of the sense is lost in translation. For familiarizing themselves with unfamiliar narrative then maybe for a learner of English some modern versions may have their uses. But for careful detailed study, a more formally translated version definitely brings rewards, which does take prayerful effort.

I was careful to recommend real translations and not paraphrases as the paraphrases tend to stretch too far from the original text and, often, in my opinion, distort the message. Translations come in two forms--word-for-word (NASB) and "dynamic" translations (like the NLT) which have a strong narrative sweep. ALL translations change the thought slightly from the original text--ask any translator. Sometimes, there are simply no totally understandable sets of words from one language to another. Anglophones (English-speakers) have a really tough time understanding some French idioms. We have to trust that God can work through all languages even if humans struggle with language issues.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
KJV is well used and time honored! :)

I guess you have not read the preceding posts. Some of the KJV bibles are beautiful, some of the best. I collect the old ones. The style of writing is poetic old English that is beautiful, but we do not speak Old English and it uses words that are not common to our language. So it can be difficult to read by some. It does have some accuracy issues and some added scriptures that people saw fit to stick in there several centuries after the fact. Like I said it does not make any sense to debate it because it is well known history. Do you want to debate whether or not the world is flat?

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
yet you still cannot address Scripture when you are asked to give a reason for the hope that is in you, hmm
I recommend a high end NASB study Bible, but there are several good translations.
i like nasb, but wadr and as strange as this maybe sounds to us, bc we're pretty much all old in here, is that no one is going to much be cracking any offline bibles much any more i guess, not that very many ever did anyway prolly? Dunno if that "Hebrew" NT them guys been schillin for like five years been released yet, pretty sure it hasnt but boy just wait lol. But the point i wanted to make is translation does not matter a whit if you are reading with two eyes imo. A perfect translation that renders the Bible all the way back to Word would not be understood by a person who cannot hear, yeh? Paul would still be read to their destruction iow?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess you have not read the preceding posts. Some of the KJV bibles are beautiful, some of the best. I collect the old ones. The style of writing is poetic old English that is beautiful, but we do not speak Old English and it uses words that are not common to our language. So it can be difficult to read by some. It does have some accuracy issues and some added scriptures that people saw fit to stick in there several centuries after the fact. Like I said it does not make any sense to debate it because it is well known history. Do you want to debate whether or not the world is flat?
I really don't think that a time honored, accurate version such as the King James is comparable to talk of a flat earth.