Please explain this.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I was careful to recommend real translations and not paraphrases as the paraphrases tend to stretch too far from the original text and, often, in my opinion, distort the message. Translations come in two forms--word-for-word (NASB) and "dynamic" translations (like the NLT) which have a strong narrative sweep. ALL translations change the thought slightly from the original text--ask any translator. Sometimes, there are simply no totally understandable sets of words from one language to another. Anglophones (English-speakers) have a really tough time understanding some French idioms. We have to trust that God can work through all languages even if humans struggle with language issues.
NASB is fairly formal.

A lot depends also if the translators have had a high view of verbal inspiration.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really don't think that a time honored, accurate version such as the King James is comparable to talk of a flat earth.

But you still do not want to know the truth. I am not going to bore people here with it but post 76/1506 has the list. If your hoping or thinking there is a translation that Christ personally came down and blessed, your not going to find it. But religion is about belief so believe what you want.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of this good bible bad bible stuff can be easily remedied if we: 1-pray for the Holy Spirit's guidance.
2-a good bible dictionary such as Vines.
3-A good Lexicon <---great for word studies and biblical words in the original language.
I have several different bible versions and, one might clarify another. I am very used to the KJV but I am NOT a KJV only Christian...God can speak to us through a rock if He so pleases. He just wants us to seek Him diligently.
JMHO! ♥

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
re: "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want--" I always wondered why we wouldn't "want" the Lord as our shepherd! What's funny about kids is that they will often be confused but not ask an adult for clarification. LOL Another one that always left me scratching my head was why they called Good Friday, "good". Seemed like a very bad day to me since it was when they crucified Jesus. I did NOT understand the plan of salvation at ALL. :(
Very good!
I'm so proud of you!
"What won't I want"
I could hear it now.

Yeah. Hand an 11 year old the bible.
I could envision it right now as we speak.

And ditto for Good Friday.
I always had the same thought.
I still do.
See...
Great minds think alike.
;)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recommend any version (a real translation and not a paraphrase) that a disciple will actually READ. Having any version sitting on the shelf, collecting dust, does no one any good.

However, the point of my question was that if any version also has errors in it, then it will also ultimately lead you astray by that 1 degree off when headed to Hawaii in a plane. In order to have the unadulterated, saving message of God's word, God's word must be without error as concerning doctrine: it cannot be off in its teaching because of mistranslation.

I have already mentioned how a different message is given in some versions when it comes to Romans 8:1.

We really need the Holy Ghost to help us determine which translation is correct when it comes to these differences. Jeremiah 29:13 tells us that we will find the truth when we seek the Lord with all of our heart.

I know some make excuses for the discrepancy in Romans 8:1 by saying that the truth of the matter is revealed in other passages. The problem is, false doctrine will develop out of reading that passage in the wrong version.

I am very used to the KJV but I am NOT a KJV only Christian...

Neither am I kjv-only, I consider myself kjv-superior.

I consider that other versions are useful but cannot be identified as inerrant.

But I do consider that the kjv is inerrant as concerning doctrine.

How else are we going to get the unadulterated message of the whole counsel of God in our language?

Must one be an expert in Greek and Hebrew in order to be able to discern the unadulterated message of God's word?

But it is clear that some versions of the Bible are watered-down and offer malnutrition to their readers.

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and really if you are not going to state a truth from Scripture in here anywhere i mean seems like a perfect opp to demo your belief

Sorry just getting back to this . . . lost my internet until a few minutes ago.

Perhaps you had missed it, I did offer an "absolute truth" from the Bible, Hebrews 11, specifically, that unless you believe God exists, you cannot please Him.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What nonsense. We are all adults here--no need for any fake paternalism.
I'm almost tempted to PM you and give you the scoop on the heresy I am talking about...but I assure you that your faith would not survive, and therefore I refrain.

And there you go judging again; calling my paternalism "fake".

I assure you that I withhold the information out of genuine care for those who would most definitely be stumbled by it.

And also, scripture itself teaches that when these kinds of heresies become widespread, the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Curiosity killed the cat.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok, maybe you werent changing the subject, sorry.
unfortunately "that He exists" or even "that He is" have been added in by scribes there, marks, so try again ok,
Hebrews 11:6 Lexicon: And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.

which i know that even says "that He is" there in English, but clicking the link will clarify all that ok

plus i guess we need to define "absolute truth" here, hopefully it is obvious that a "belief"--"he who comes to God must believe..." is a belief, and cannot be proven, right.

without faith it is impossible to please, for he who comes to theou must have faith one who pays wages those who seek.

Seems to me you are changing the rules. I had thought you were looking for an "absolute truth" from the Bible.

I have no issue in going with your quote, and can offer that back as an absolute truth, you cannot please without faith.

But if you mean by Absolute Truth "that which can be proven by man's senses and/or reason", that would be different. Is that what you mean?

Much love!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I'm almost tempted to PM you and give you the scoop on the heresy I am talking about...but I assure you that your faith would not survive, and therefore I refrain.

And there you go judging again; calling my paternalism "fake".

I assure you that I withhold the information out of genuine care for those who would most definitely be stumbled by it.

And also, scripture itself teaches that when these kinds heresies become widespread, the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Curiosity killed the cat.
You think you know a heresy I don't know about?

thRQKCVSAT.jpg

Oh. That's sweet!

Reactions: Lady Crosstalk

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You think you are aware of every heresy?

Pride comes before a fall.
I learned in high school never to answer a question on a test with:
always
never
everyone
etc you get the idea.

There may be a heresy I don't know....
but then how would I know it exists?
There are plenty....it's difficult to believe I missed one.

Reactions: Grailhunter

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You know nothing about me or my faith. I can't imagine anything you could say that would destroy my faith. Faith is a gift from God, remember? Posting about bogeyman passages in the NIV or NASB is just silly. My faith does not hinge on exact wording.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know nothing about me or my faith. I can't imagine anything you could say that would destroy my faith. Faith is a gift from God, remember? Posting about bogeyman passages in the NIV or NASB is just silly. My faith does not hinge on exact wording.
Pride comes before a fall.

Those "bogeyman passages" do exist. You can take my word for it or call me a liar.

You may think that your faith would hold up under the pressure; but I am inclined to believe that it wouldn't...because you seem to be so certain that it would. If anyone thinks he is standing let him take heed lest he fall.

I care enough about you not to take chances on whether your faith would be able to hold up or not...why should I destroy your faith over the fact that you didn't think it was as fragile as it may be?

In the case that it wouldn't hold up, it is better that I not put it under the strain by which it would be decimated. Why should I destroy your faith? Because you think of it as indestructible? You might be in for a surprise; and I for one am not desiring to give you that surprise...because it would be a negative thing in your life...and therefore love compels me to refrain from sharing it with you.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You invented a whole new heresy?
No; what happened is that someone stated the heresy to me and when I began to argue with him from the word of God, a friend laid his hand on my shoulder telling me to refrain from arguing. And because I never had the closure of winning the argument, his statement ate at me as something that might be true. When you look in the NASB or the NIV, the heresy is very clearly proven. But in the kjv, it is not proven. And this is one of the primary reasons that I am kjv-superior in my pov.

I finally did find scripture that proves the heresy to be untrue; but of course there are many seeming contradictions in the Bible that have been reconciled over the years. So my proof text that the heresy is untrue may even be refuted by some new information that deals with my proof text.

My safest bet is to stick to the kjv. Yours, too.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 2:24, But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.
Rev 2:25, But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.