Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Charlie24 Thanks for your comment; appreciated.

I guess one could also say that the adjacent verse in Leviticus seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave? if they do, then maybe they are acknowledging that they are NT Christians under grace rather than OT Jews in the land under the law.

(Maybe your children are not yet at the sort of age when they might get tattooed; but anyway, if they never get any tattoos, then more power to them....)

Theologians give the reasons (that I don't recall at the moment) about the superstitions of the pagans.

The "round the corner" and "mar the corners" were references to superstition. I can look that up if you like.

But look, if want to partake in such as this, have at it, I say it's not a very good testament of the believer, unless it was done before you came to Christ, in that case, when someone comments on those things, you would consider it ignorance and a mistake.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Theologians give the reasons (that I don't recall at the moment) about the superstitions of the pagans.

The "round the corner" and "mar the corners" were references to superstition. I can look that up if you like.

But look, if want to partake in such as this, have at it, I say it's not a very good testament of the believer, unless it was done before you came to Christ, in that case, when someone comments on those things, you would consider it ignorance and a mistake.
Thanks for the comment.

I think also of the situation of a Christian woman with the name of a non-Christian ex-bf tattooed.

Some legalists might try to forbid her from going back to the tattoo artist to have the name, e.g., "BILL", changed to something such as "BIBLE", in order to reflect her faith rather than be condemned to having those past ex-bf memories with her permanently on her skin.

Yet some ppl are indeed so legalistic that they would actually prefer a Christian woman to remain inked up with the name of an ex-bf rather than have it changed to something faith based (as well as it being none of their business also...)

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Dropship So you feel fairly happy that your question got a good number of the sort of replies that you were expecting.....

Yes, the gist of replies seemed to be that nobody minds much if a woman has a smallish single tattoo or two, but if she's plastered with them we blokes wouldn't know whether to kiss her or read her like a comic book..:)

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Last edited:

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FYI: Recent US army neck tattoo guidelines (see link) :

The Army’s Looking for a Few Good Soldiers—With Neck Tattoos

Interesting that the US Army is accepting that neck tattoos - and certain other placements - are consistent manly and womanly features of a soldier's deportment.

( cc @Dropship ; @Heart2Soul ; @Rita ; @Charlie24 ; @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d ; @The Learner @No Pre-TB ; @Lizbeth ; @RLT63 )

I served from 75-79 with some good young men in the 82nd Airborne. 50 of us were together through basic training and jump school, we spent the entire 4 years together.

We all bathed in rivers, streams, ponds, wherever we found water in the field, all over the world. I don't remember a single tattoo on any of those 49 men. I suppose things change, but I can tell you that the Word of God has never changed, regardless of what the US Army may say!

No Pre-TB

Jan 15, 2022
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@No Pre-TB

Thanks a lot for your comment.

Appreciated.

I guess it could be said that these days it's often conservative ppl who get tattoos - many of them faith based, FYI:

GodsGrace said:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

juliannenw said:

allnurses dot com

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them for witness tool reasons, maybe.

But I guess in your mind none of these factors would cancel out what you said earlier.

Thanks again for your comment.
Id look at Leviticus 19:28
28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD

One commentator said,
Nor print any marks upon you.—This, according to the ancient authorities, was effected by making punctures in the skin to impress certain figures or words, and then filling the cut places with stibium, ink, or some other colour.

There are plenty of people who once they are born again, remove tattoos. Others, they no longer get them. Im not concerned with those believers that have tattoos before they were saved and have found Christ. For me, it’s the ones that know Christ and do it. We don’t want to be the dog that returns to its vomit, and we don’t want to be like the carnal fleshly world. That type of issue affects each person differently in time through sanctification. But no change after Christ….that’s scary!

Edit: After posting this, I noticed someone else mentioned this verse.

Reactions: JohnPaul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Id look at Leviticus 19:28
28Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD

One commentator said,
Nor print any marks upon you.—This, according to the ancient authorities, was effected by making punctures in the skin to impress certain figures or words, and then filling the cut places with stibium, ink, or some other colour.

There are plenty of people who once they are born again, remove tattoos. Others, they no longer get them. Im not concerned with those believers that have tattoos before they were saved and have found Christ. For me, it’s the ones that know Christ and do it. We don’t want to be the dog that returns to its vomit, and we don’t want to be like the carnal fleshly world. That type of issue affects each person differently in time through sanctification. But no change after Christ….that’s scary!

Edit: After posting this, I noticed someone else mentioned this verse.
Thanks for your comments, @No Pre-TB

I was thinking also of the situation of a Christian woman with the name of a non-Christian ex-bf tattooed.

Some legalists might try to forbid her from going back to the tattoo artist to have the name, e.g., "BILL", changed to something such as "BIBLE", in order to reflect her faith rather than be condemned to having those past ex-bf memories with her permanently on her skin.

Yet some ppl are indeed so legalistic that they would actually prefer a Christian woman to remain inked up with the name of an ex-bf rather than have it changed to something faith based (as well as it being none of their business also...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I served from 75-79 with some good young men in the 82nd Airborne. 50 of us were together through basic training and jump school, we spent the entire 4 years together.

We all bathed in rivers, streams, ponds, wherever we found water in the field, all over the world. I don't remember a single tattoo on any of those 49 men. I suppose things change, but I can tell you that the Word of God has never changed, regardless of what the US Army may say!
I'm not American but thank-you for all your service in the 82nd.

No Pre-TB

Jan 15, 2022
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your comments, @No Pre-TB

I was thinking also of the situation of a Christian woman with the name of a non-Christian ex-bf tattooed.

It isn’t anyone’s choice but hers alone. We are all judged according to what we do. Noahs righteousness couldn’t save anyone but himself. So, if a women did or didn’t cover it is inconsequential. When did she do it and what was her heart? God will judge by his divine justice. We cannot speculate or throw a stone. We all wear filthy clothes. Legalisms is a dangerous religious tool.

Reactions: farouk

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No not really...that was part of being in the military. Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man.
@Heart2Soul You're right that this is exactly what army recruitment was likely finding.

For potential recruits, it's exactly what young men think to do when they turn 18: "Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man."

Indeed, for potential female recruits, it's exactly what young women think to do when they turn 18: "Got to get your tattoo if you're a real woman."

Thus, army recruitment was very likely finding that its previous tattoo restriction attempts just did not make sense.

So you're exactly right, @Heart2Soul, about "Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man/woman".

Reactions: Heart2Soul

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul You're right that this is exactly what army recruitment was likely finding.

For potential recruits, it's exactly what young men think to do when they turn 18: "Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man."

Indeed, for potential female recruits, it's exactly what young women think to do when they turn 18: "Got to get your tattoo if you're a real woman."

Thus, army recruitment was very likely finding that its previous tattoo restriction attempts just did not make sense.

So you're exactly right, @Heart2Soul, about "Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man/woman".
christains are in the ARMY of the LORD . True men and women follow CHRIST .

Reactions: Marvelloustime