Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Marilyn C PS: Did I tell you about the young lady that my wife and I met? she had the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and as far as we were concerned it brought about our conversation and presumably many others also; and so she likely would have felt amply justified in using a tattoo artist for that purpose (indeed, having met her, I can well imagine her having gone with joy in her heart to the tattoo parlor).

It's also in line with what a lot of posters on this forum have said.

Hi farouk,

Thank you for that interesting story. Thus, I would not judge anyone.

Marilyn.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @Marilyn C I can also see that it's probably the case that you would still likely privately prefer it if any children of your own did not become a tattoo artist (or get tattoos, for that matter...)

Reactions: Marilyn C

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know of more ladies that have tattoos, but men seem to be more committed to getting a large tattoo.
I have seen dozens of small messages or a flower or a butterfly visible on the wrist or arm or ankle or leg of a lady.

@atpollard

You are right.

You are completely correct indeed in that there has been a huge mushrooming - a true explosion of first time tattoo parlor trips by women determined to obtain inking (not necessarily something large - but often faith-based when the woman is Christian).

FYI:

Heavenhome said:
My dear Dad had two tattoos but that was from his navy days.
I have noticed however that lots of young girls have them and what is really noticeable is a huge amount are women say around their sixties .
christianforums

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

It's something that's done now - so often earnestly aspired to seemingly (even if in small, unobtrusive designs or placements), and really widely practised by women very confidently. From a Christian perspective it's undoubtedly the opportunity for very many faith based tattoo designs.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've seen some pretty amazing portraits of loved ones in tattoo form, hard to believe
@Truth7t7 Yes, and the quality of tattoo artwork has risen exponentially; and it's often conservative people, especially women far from freaks - who aspire to it.

Today it would not be unusual for tattooed homeschooling mothers to accompany their daughters at age 18 getting a Bible verse tattoo. It's something that conservative Christians do very widely; and of course it's hugely perceived as something womanly; i.e., not rough, but gently worth a bit of pain for something artistic and wholesome.

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Reactions: Truth7t7

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette

Thanks for your recent participation.

I think it frankly needs to be remembered also that today it's not unusually from conservative, traditionally minded people that the strong demand for tattoo services comes. It would be hard to maintain that overwhelming demand for tattoo services comes from freaks. I guess these examples seem compelling to demonstrate this:

James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

juliannenw said:

allnurses dot com

Quite the opposite of freaks, in fact: the clients described in these quotes, above, might even be regarded as mainly conservative, mainstream and or otherwise fairly traditionally minded ppl. It would I guess follow logically that by these quite traditionally minded clients the profession of tattoo artist would be positively regarded.
View attachment 26287nypost dot com

Let us remembver, thatr while we as followers of Jesus are not bound to teh rules of the OT (unless they reappear as commands in the NT) we can learn and grow and undserstand Gods mind from His dealings with Israel. He forbad tattoos for Israel. While Christians using them for evangelism, I personally don't hae a problem with, believers should not mark up their bodies with "art" This is a grey7 area IMNSHO and should be tread in very carefully.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Let us remembver, thatr while we as followers of Jesus are not bound to teh rules of the OT (unless they reappear as commands in the NT) we can learn and grow and undserstand Gods mind from His dealings with Israel. He forbad tattoos for Israel. While Christians using them for evangelism, I personally don't hae a problem with, believers should not mark up their bodies with "art" This is a grey7 area IMNSHO and should be tread in very carefully.
Interesting also how Paul in Galatians 2.14 Paul says:

"I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?"

This is why perhaps it might not be wise to give young ppl a hard time because of tattoos, etc.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi farouk,

And I appreciate your participation in thread/blogs that I do. Helps us to not only relate but keep us aware if comments are in error.

regards, Marilyn.
YW, @Marilyn C

I saw this comment on another board about the difference between reasonable self-expression and self-mutilation:

Scarlett O. said:

I am not a prude. I am not opposed to pierced ears or conservative make up or even (*gasp*) a small, inoffensive tatoo. ...I do have three earrings in each ear. .. So where is the line that crosses from self-expression to self-mutilation?
As for tatoos, I like them. I do not have one, but have always wanted one. But again, there is a difference in having a small tatoo or even two or three that the rest of us don't have to have a glaring look at all day and making a canvas out of your entire arms, back, face, chest, and legs.
And many tatoos are pictures of unpleasant images.
So, again, where is the line drawn between self-expression and self-mutilation?
baptistboard dot com

( cc @Prim )

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
YW, @Marilyn C

I saw this comment on another board about the difference between reasonable self-expression and self-mutilation:

Scarlett O. said:

baptistboard dot com

( cc @Prim )
Maybe out of site Maybe a tattoo on ones butt puts you out of harms way.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
back a bit: Angelina said:
I'm not sure how I personally feel about tats. I have a couple of pre-believer tats but since becoming a believer, I have not had the inclination to add more....even those that may give God the glory. .. I am not really interested in changing my tats to depict something more palatable as a believer. When people ask, I tell them my story and then tell them my new story as a believer. This also is a good talking point. .. I have no opinion on others getting or changing tats as a witness for Christ.

@Angelina So I guess your thoughts haven't lately significantly changed as regards faith based tattoos in general and your tattoos in particular?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nancy said:
tattoos ... everyone and their grandmothers has them now and, they do not a thing for me, what can I say? Pretty much every one I know, and that includes Christians and myself, have a tattoo so...I am not criticizing anybody here or anywhere...

@Marilyn C Seems like today, instead of fighting tattoos, so many ppl embrace them instead (among Christians, not least because of their faith witness tool potential).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do wonder though how many have come to know the Lord through that means.
@Marilyn C A reasonable question, certainly.

It does in any case seem to lie at the heart of how many Christians wish to express themselves; FYI, these are older Christians who don't have tattoos but seem to say they wish they had:

Addy said:
I am not one of those Christians who have a problem with tattoos.. and if I was younger... I might even get a little one that says... IT IS FINISHED.

Dave L said:
I think when I was a young Christian, a scripture or Christian art Tattoo would have helped me stake a claim as a Christian and made people aware early on. It would have helped sort out friends from the start. So I regret not having that as an option during that time. .. If I found myself in a similar situation to when I was young, I'd probably have a tattoo.

The evidence now seems to be that using a tattoo parlor is something deeply empathetic that is considered most earnestly by some Christians, anyway.