Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well a lot of us from my church were lost and in darkness and came into Christianity already tattooed!

@Mantis:

Also, today it is rather conservative ppl who will often confidently pursue getting tattooed (often in faith based designs).

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

FHII said:
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos...We got a lot of folks inked in our Church. Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi farouk,

I actually have a niece who does tattooing.....Marilyn.

Hi @Marilyn C

So were you at all surprised when you first heard the news that your niece had become a tattoo artist?

It seems to have become regarded as a rather womanly thing now, both to receive (Rita - below - testified it made her feel good) and to give tattoos.

Paula Castle took up tattooing after being made redundant from a sales job ..."I really did not want to do it. ...But I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so I said ‘yes’ and really pushed myself and I’ve not stopped...About 97% of my clients are female and that is universal across the board."
James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

Rita said
I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done..I had weighed everything up , talked to my pastor, reflected on scripture

Marilyn C

Mar 16, 2016
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi @Marilyn C

So were you at all surprised when you first heard the news that your niece had become a tattoo artist?

It seems to have become regarded as a rather womanly thing now, both to receive (Rita - below - testified it made her feel good) and to give tattoos.

Rita said

Sad actually. Defacing what God has made.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Prim

Seems like earrings of various varieties have definitely become integral to your developed sense of personal style; so as regards those tiny stud versus the long ones shown in the previous post, I guess you would also have come round to a definite sense of preference.

Sometimes earrings and tattoos can become complementary to each other:

fbs.jpg

l.jpg
tattoofilter dot com
Some amusing : ) . Farouk Jewellery has always been a integral part of a ladies being and not only for me. The tattoo be some different depending on the era. I see many girl and much expressions of artistic fashion in your pics. You be a admirer of the human bodily physic? You perhaps be a admirer of the many expressive artistic art forms that are given us through the world of art and photography.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I agree, as long as one’s heart doesn’t condemn, may all be blessed in their decision(s)

Onto Him be our all, Not me
@Not me I think clearly that this is the sort of thing that is covered by Romans 14: "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind".

Some earnest believers will be tattooed (maybe a Bible ref., etc.); others - earnest in their beliefs and preferences - will not.

As Rita said:
I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me..I had weighed everything up , talked to my pastor, reflected on scripture

Reactions: The Learner

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk Jewellery has always been a integral part of a ladies being and not only for me. The tattoo be some different depending on the era.
Hi @Prim.

Earrings can for some ppl be like putting on their faces is; my wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without putting on her face.

Others don't feel dressed if they go out without their earrings in.

Some young men are so accustomed to earrings also; having been motivated to have their earlobes studded in their youth, they simply keep the studs in basically all the time.

Often it's a case of what ppl are personally accustomed to.

In Ezekiel 16.12 the Lord uses an earring analogy to illustrate imputed righteousness.

For tattoos, of course one needs to be rather sure about the preferred design from the start. But it's very widespread in North America among ppl in churches; I don't know about Singapore.

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Not me I think clearly that this is the sort of thing that is covered by Romans 14: "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind".

Some earnest believers will be tattooed (maybe a Bible ref., etc.); others - earnest in their beliefs and preferences - will not.

As Rita said:
Farouk I guess for some their motto be. If it feels so good how could it be so wrong and not right. For some the fine line between pleasure & pain be no fine line at all.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk I guess for some their motto be. If it feels so good how could it be so wrong and not right. For some the fine line between pleasure & pain be no fine line at all.
@Prim Interesting that you should focus on the pain aspect. (You saw Rita's post, of course.)

As regards the pain, I read this from a medical doctor:

This is what Dr. Beth S., MD, said: "Embracing the pain For many tattoo enthusiasts, the pain is an important part of the process. Controlling the pain is less important than feeling it, accepting it, and embracing the endorphin rush that pain brings.
If it's your first tattoo, the pain can be a rite of passage. Some people see it as a fair price to pay to wear permanent, beautiful, meaningful art. Some even enjoy it as an important part of the tattooing.." From 'Controlling the pain with tattooing', https://tattoos.lovetoknow.com/Controlling_the_Pain

It's very widespread among ppl in churches in North America, especially in some areas, and the idea is I guess after a bit of pain one has something wholesome that can permanently function as an effective witness tool.

FHII said:
Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..
I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it...I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ. .. We got a lot of folks inked in our Church. Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

In other words, the pain is not something that puts ppl off it.

But I guess from your comment you would regard the 'fine line' as something that would put you off.

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg
tattoo hyphen awe dot blogspot dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nancy said:
tattoos ... everyone and their grandmothers has them now and, they do not a thing for me, what can I say? Pretty much every one I know, and that includes Christians and myself, have a tattoo so...I am not criticizing anybody here or anywhere...

@Nancy Come to think of it, as per your other comment on the other thread, re. being multicultural, same applies to tattoos, really, I reckon....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I votes yes.

... I know other people that have deep, strong reasons to get a specific tattoo
@atpollard Thanks for your poll vote participation recently.

What I wanted to add was that people's perceptions develop.

Years ago, tattoos were associated with sailors and bikers (i.e., they had a strongly male - and rough - image. Even though in the 19th century it was regarded as a classy thing for women to acquire.)

Now it would not be unusual for tattooed homeschooling mothers to accompany their daughters at age 18 getting a Bible verse tattoo. It's something that conservative Christians do very widely; and of course it's hugely perceived as something womanly; i.e., not rough, but gently worth a bit of pain for something wholesome.

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Prim Interesting that you should focus on the pain aspect. (You saw Rita's post, of course.)

As regards the pain, I read this from a medical doctor:

This is what Dr. Beth S., MD, said: "Embracing the pain For many tattoo enthusiasts, the pain is an important part of the process. Controlling the pain is less important than feeling it, accepting it, and embracing the endorphin rush that pain brings.
If it's your first tattoo, the pain can be a rite of passage. Some people see it as a fair price to pay to wear permanent, beautiful, meaningful art. Some even enjoy it as an important part of the tattooing.." From 'Controlling the pain with tattooing', https://tattoos.lovetoknow.com/Controlling_the_Pain

It's very widespread among ppl in churches in North America, especially in some areas, and the idea is I guess after a bit of pain one has something wholesome that can permanently function as an effective witness tool.

FHII said:

QueenCat said:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

In other words, the pain is not something that puts ppl off it.

But I guess from your comment you would regard the 'fine line' as something that would put you off.

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg
tattoo hyphen awe dot blogspot dot com
Farouk a interesting perspective and outlook by Dr Beth and others. But there be many perspectives. Tattooing was once seen and is still seen today as a initiation of acceptance into ones tribe. Known well enough throughout the pagan world. But never accepted as a Christian practice. At least from the view point of our church history along with all commentary’s up until the late 20th century. Leviticus 19:28 was always interpreted as such ( Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you. I am the Lord. It was always seen as part of the moral law by the church, that is of course until recent times. As to Romans 14 yes we have Christian liberty. But even Christian Liberty has its limits.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk a interesting perspective and outlook by Dr Beth and others.

@Prim

Well, some Christians do seem to feel that a bit of pain for something permanent is really worthwhile.

Rita said:

My tattoo was very small and wasn't that sore ..I have never regretted my tattoo..I prayed and reflected on it for quite a few months..I felt good about it

MetalMike said:
My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly on the top of her foot...They had their tattoos for a few years before I got mine. I wasn't that interested in one at the time, and I wanted to do one that was meaningful and not one I would regret later...I got a tattoo back in '08. It's a cross on my forearm with a banner

I guess it's a bit like all the ppl who have pierced ears thinking that a bit of pain is worth it for the result. After all, huge numbers of parents are willing to give their adolescent daughters - and sons, too, if they want it - the gift of pierced ears.

pinterest

It's widely thought to be perfectly appropriate to have a pit of pain for something worthwhile, anyway.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just voted. I voted don't know.

It would depend on the art they are willing to put on peoples bodies.
@Ronald Nolette

Thanks for your recent participation.

I think it frankly needs to be remembered also that today it's not unusually from conservative, traditionally minded people that the strong demand for tattoo services comes. It would be hard to maintain that overwhelming demand for tattoo services comes from freaks. I guess these examples seem compelling to demonstrate this:

Paula Castle took up tattooing after being made redundant from a sales job ..."I really did not want to do it. ...But I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so I said ‘yes’ and really pushed myself and I’ve not stopped...About 97% of my clients are female and that is universal across the board."

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person. I've always worn long sleeves .. I love having a professional persona as well as a unique one while I'm not working
allnurses dot com

Quite the opposite of freaks, in fact: the clients described in these quotes, above, might even be regarded as mainly conservative, mainstream and or otherwise fairly traditionally minded ppl. It would I guess follow logically that by these quite traditionally minded clients the profession of tattoo artist would be positively regarded.
View attachment 26287nypost dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sad actually. Defacing what God has made.
Hi @Marilyn C Actually a lot of Christians do find that faith based tattoos - such as a Bible verse - make effective witness tools in conversation with ppl.

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as witness tools, anyway.

It would follow that such Christians would likely regard your niece's profession in a basically positive way (seeing as they themselves would have had a positive experience from a tattoo artist.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Marilyn C PS: Did I tell you about the young lady that my wife and I met? she had the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and as far as we were concerned it brought about our conversation and presumably many others also; and so she likely would have felt amply justified in using a tattoo artist for that purpose (indeed, having met her, I can well imagine her having gone with joy in her heart to the tattoo parlor).

It's also in line with what a lot of posters on this forum have said.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What does the board think about ladies having tattoos, or is it it mostly men who have tatts?
@Dropship So did you get some good answers to your question?

Contrary to what one poster claimed...

Cachalot said:
Tattoos are unlady-like. That is why I would never have one.

...it has actually been strongly established as a highly womanly thing to do; FYI:

Heavenhome said:
My dear Dad had two tattoos but that was from his navy days.
I have noticed however that lots of young girls have them and what is really noticeable is a huge amount are women say around their sixties .
christianforums

So without doubt it's become regarded as a highly womanly thing to do, and the Christian women that have it done often get faith based ones.