Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Bible Highlighter

Many Christians see themselves as New Testament believers under grace, for whom a Bible verse tattoo (for example) may prove pragmatically to be an effective witness tool. We are not Old Testament Jews in the land under the law (which was in any case changed - Hebrews 7.12 - and what we now have is better than the law - Hebrews 7.19).

Thanks for your contributions.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Bible Highlighter

Many Christians see themselves as New Testament believers under grace, for whom a Bible verse tattoo (for example) may prove pragmatically to be an effective witness tool. We are not Old Testament Jews in the land under the law (which was in any case changed - Hebrews 7.12 - and what we now have is better than the law - Hebrews 7.19).

Thanks for your contributions.

I respectfully disagree. While Hebrews 7:12 is true in the fact that the law has indeed changed, that does not mean all laws in the Old Testament Laws of Moses have changed. We are still commanded to love God and love our neighbor (Which is the moral law). Paul says that the Law is good if one uses it lawfully (1 Timothy 1:8). I believe this is the case with tattoos because why would God be accepting all of a sudden of pagan symbolism marked into the skin with the drawing of blood? Nowhere does the New Covenant allow our liberty to go that far. Romans 12:2 says: “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

1 Corinthians 6:19 says,
“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”

1 Corinthians 6:20
“For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.”

You are not your own. If you borrow a friend’s car, you make sure not to dent or scratch his car. The same it is with the temple of the Holy Ghost. You are to not dent or scratch or mark up your body which is supposed to be for God’s glory and purposes.

In Revelation 13:16–17, it says, “Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free men and slaves to be marked on the right hand or the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark.” In other words, while tattooing is not the mark of the beast, something like tattooing or branding is associated with what the Antichrist will do during the end times (So that he can leave his mark upon people).

Also, there is no verses in the New Testament that condemns bestiality, but yet we know it is common sense that this law has not ended and has simply carried over into the New Covenant because of the inherit destructiveness and darkness of such a sin. Even in Acts 15, the Jerusalem council were telling believers to keep certain laws from the Old Law, like n, and from things strangled, and from blood (Acts of the Apostles 15:20) (Yet, they were told not to keep the whole Law - See: Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I respectfully disagree. While Hebrews 7:12 is true in the fact that the law has indeed changed, that does not mean all laws in the Old Testament Laws of Moses have changed. We are still commanded to love God and love our neighbor (Which is the moral law). Paul says that the Law is good if one uses it lawfully (1 Timothy 1:8). I believe this is the case with tattoos because why would God be accepting all of a sudden of pagan symbolism marked into the skin with the drawing of blood? Nowhere does the New Covenant allow our liberty to go that far. Romans 12:2 says: “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

1 Corinthians 6:19 says,
“What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?”

1 Corinthians 6:20
“For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.”

You are not your own. If you borrow a friend’s car, you make sure not to dent or scratch his car. The same it is with the temple of the Holy Ghost. You are to not dent or scratch or mark up your body which is supposed to be for God’s glory and purposes.

In Revelation 13:16–17, it says, “Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free men and slaves to be marked on the right hand or the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark.” In other words, while tattooing is not the mark of the beast, something like tattooing or branding is associated with what the Antichrist will do during the end times (So that he can leave his mark upon people).

Also, there is no verses in the New Testament that condemns bestiality, but yet we know it is common sense that this law has not ended and has simply carried over into the New Covenant because of the inherit destructiveness and darkness of such a sin. Even in Acts 15, the Jerusalem council were telling believers to keep certain laws from the Old Law, like n, and from things strangled, and from blood (Acts of the Apostles 15:20) (Yet, they were told not to keep the whole Law - See: Acts of the Apostles 15:5, Acts of the Apostles 15:24).
You see, I don't get how what you say about bestiality somehow "proves" that a Bible verse tattoo can't be an effective witness tool (as if, only if the verse is printed on paper can the Spirit bless).

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine too, and I'm sure that other conversations have ensued as a result of her willingness to use the tattoo parlor.

Some believers posting on here have even regretted NOT having a tattoo:

Dave L said:
I think when I was a young Christian, a scripture or Christian art Tattoo would have helped me stake a claim as a Christian and made people aware early on. It would have helped sort out friends from the start. So I regret not having that as an option during that time. .. If I found myself in a similar situation to when I was young, I'd probably have a tattoo.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You see, I don't get how what you say about bestiality somehow "proves" that a Bible verse tattoo can't be an effective witness tool (as if, only if the verse is printed on paper can the Spirit bless).

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine too, and I'm sure that other conversations have ensued as a result of her willingness to use the tattoo parlor.

Your missing the point. Bestiality is not condemned in the NT, and yet we know it is condemned even without having any NT verse.

Let me give you another example of your wrong thinking here: A Christian can steal from the rich and give it to the poor with Bible verses, but their efforts are in vain because they are doing it in sin. This is what you don’t understand. You are too deep into the sin of tattooing to see the forest from the trees. Imagine if you are wrong? Would you be willing to really lose out in entering the Kingdom by doing something you love? I wouldn’t. I would rather play it safe with my soul. Jesus said STRIVE to enter the straight gate. It doesn’t sound like one is striving to enter the straight gate if they are following the world in inking up their bodies (causing health risks and looking like the world which is evil).

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@farouk

Do you think it is normal to have a white European version of Jesus as a tattoo on person?

But Jesus is not a white European. Nobody knows what He looks like and to create an image of Him means one is creating an idol image.
If you tattoo with Bible verses, your witness is already destroyed. God may be able to still use His Word to reach this person, but your personal testimony is shot because it is being disobedient to the Word. It’s like Prosperity preachers. Sure a person can get saved by listening to one, but if they continue to follow such a preacher, they will lose their own soul. They need to read the Bible and follow it for themselves. Most today are simply not doing that. Many are just picking and choosing what parts of the Bible they want to believe or follow.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Your missing the point. Bestiality is not condemned in the NT, and yet we know it is condemned even without having any NT verse.

Let me give you another example of your wrong thinking here: A Christian can steal from the rich and give it to the poor with Bible verses, but their efforts are in vain because they are doing it in sin. This is what you don’t understand. You are too deep into the sin of tattooing to see the forest from the trees. Imagine if you are wrong? What you be willing to really lose out in entering the Kingdom by doing something you love? I wouldn’t. I would rather play it safe with my soul. Jesus said STRIVE to enter the straight gate. It doesn’t sound like one is striving to enter the straight gate if they are following the world in inking up their bodies (causing health risks and looking like the world which is evil).
Are you implying that one can be saved by faith one day, but then if a Bible verse such as John 3.16 is tattooed, then one might be lost for ever after all....?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you implying that one can be saved by faith one day, but then if a Bible verse such as John 3.16 is tattooed, then one might be lost for ever after all....?

A person can seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ over their sin of tattooing if they slipped up in doing so. Just as any other sin can be repented of. Believers have to end up in a righteous state when they die or at the point in time when Jesus comes to take His bride. If not, they are not going to make it into the Kingdom. It’s just that simple (according to the Bible).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A person can seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ over their sin of tattooing if they slipped up in doing so. Just as any other sin can be repented of. Believers have to end up in a righteous state when they die or when Jesus takes them home. If not, they are not going to make it into the Kingdom. It’s just that simple (according to the Bible).
So you think someone like this with such a verse in his or her heart, truly saved, can then be lost because of the tattoo, as depicted?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are false heretical groups that also use Scripture. That does not mean they are leading people to the real Jesus of the Bible. Paul talks about how there are those who preach another Jesus (2 Corinthians 11:4). A Jesus that makes an allowance for a person’s particular sin is another Jesus.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you think someone like this with such a verse in his or her heart, truly saved, can then be lost because of the tattoo, as depicted?

Notice when this person prays, the cross is upside down. Upside down crosses can found in Catholicism, and Satanic groups. Granted, a person could have had tattoos from their old life, but if they sought forgiveness with the Lord, it can be forgiven. God looks at the heart and their motives. A person who continues in the sin of tattooing is going against God’s Holy Word and they are actually against the one True God. This usually leads to enslavement to other types of sin, as well. We have to continue in His Word in order to know the truth and with that truth… setting us free.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Bible Highlighter But to put the question similarly again, do you think someone who is truly saved, can then be lost because of getting a Bible verse tattoo?

I think it depends. If they were warned against tattoos by God’s people (according to His Word), and they ignored the warnings, then… I believe they would be condemned. If they did this sin in ignorance that is another matter and I believe it would be up to God to judge them in such a case (if they died in that state).

I know for sure that if God would reveal the truth to them on tattoos according to His Word by His messengers, and if they then refuse the Word of warnings in repenting, then I know for sure they would be lost (Because they are sinning willfully despite what the the Word of God says). Tattoos are of this evil world and or nations and not of God (representing evil things and blood shedding - i.e. covenant making). Believers need to be in a purification process (See: 2 Corinthians 7:1). If they don’t end up in a righteous state when they die, they will not make it into the Kingdom. Again, imagine a Christian who steals for noble causes. They can steal from the rich and give it to the poor along with bible verses. But again, even though it may do good, they themselves would not be saved because they are justifying sin and darkness by stealing. Imagine if they stole Bibles out of a church and gave them to the poor in other countries who really need them even more. Again, it can do good, but they themselves would not be saved.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think it depends. If they were warned against tattoos by God’s people (according to His Word), and they ignored the warnings, then… I believe they would be condemned. If they did this sin in ignorance that is another matter and I believe it would be up to God to judge them in such a case (if they died in that state).

I know for sure that if God would reveal the truth to them on tattoos according to His Word by His messengers, and if they then refuse the Word of warnings in repenting, then I know for sure they would be lost (Because they are sinning willfully despite what the the Word of God says). Tattoos are of this evil world and or nations and not of God (representing evil things and blood shedding - i.e. covenant making). Believers need to be in a purification process (See: 2 Corinthians 7:1). If they don’t end up in a righteous state when they die, they will not make it into the Kingdom. Again, imagine a Christian who steals for noble causes. They can steal from the rich and give it to the poor along with bible verses. But again, even though it may do good, they themselves would not be saved because they are justifying sin and darkness by stealing. Imagine if they stole Bibles out of a church and gave them to the poor in other countries who really need them even more. Again, it can do good, but they themselves would not be saved.
So you do think you can be truly saved....and then lost......

Philippians 1.6 says: "He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

Romans 8.38-39 shows strong assurance of eternal security for the truly saved.

John's First Epistle is full of assurance for the true believer.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to love watching Marvel comics films and television programs (along with other popular sinful secular shows and films). But God talked to my heart about it more and more as things kept getting darker and more sinful in these movies and TV shows. Fornication and bad language is just the tip of the iceberg in these types of things.

I used to try and justify watching these films for looking for the good and Christian things within them. But Jesus says a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit and a bad tree cannot bring forth good fruit.

Keep in mind I used to collect all of the Marvel comics when I was a teenager. I had a decision to make. Keep watching that junk to satisfy my fleshy desires, or follow Jesus and please Him instead. I ended choosing Jesus Christ and I gave up watching Marvel films because of the many sinful things within them. Not only that, but Marvel comics actually pushes the antichrist agenda, as well. See here.

Anyways, after watching the Luke Cage TV series in 2016, the sin in these shows truly grieved me to the point of stopping and making that decision to give it up for Jesus. Was I saved while watching these shows? Only the Lord knows. But what I do know is that if I went back to them now… knowing what I do now… I would not be saved if I sought to enjoy these films (Knowing what I do now). I would have to confess and forsake such sin if I did that. Thankfully (to the Lord), I have not went back and I have stayed the course in following the Lord and watching Christian films instead.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you do think you can be truly saved....and then lost......

Bible believing Christians (Who are not seeking to change God’s Word to fit OSAS) don't believe in OSAS because Scripture teaches against it on practically every page in the New Testament.

There are many ways to demolish OSAS (Once Saved Always saved), Eternal Security, and or Perseverance of the Saints (POTS) by reading and believing your own Bible. Click on the following links to take you to posts to learn more (with the Bible).

1. Fall Away List of Verses.

2. Serious Sin can Separate Us From God Verses.

3. Verses on Sanctification Being a Part of Salvation.

4. Obeying God’s Commands as a Part of Eternal Life Verses.

Bonus Point Verses.

If these lists are still not good enough for you, check out this general list of evidences that demolishes OSAS.

Long List of Verses Refuting OSAS or Eternal Security

Side Note:

I have provided a list of verses for each of these numbered points mentioned above; Just click on the link(s) (above), and you will be taken to the post that lists verses for that topic.

You said:
Philippians 1.6 says: "He that hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ".

Keep reading. Philippians 2:12 says work out your salvation with fear and trembling. There would be no fear or trembling if God just forces every believer who had an experience with Him to do the good work in them so they can be saved in the end. Christians are also told to fight the good fight and lay hold on eternal life (1 Timothy 6:12). Christians are told to sow to the Spirit so that they can reap everlasting life. This sowing to the Spirit is “well doing” (good works). We are told to not be weary in well doing for we will reap if we faint not (See: Galatians 6:8-9).

You said:
Romans 8.38-39 shows strong assurance of eternal security for the truly saved.

Notice two things that are not in Romans 8:38-39.

#1. Yourself, and:
#2. Your sin.

Romans 8:7-8 says,
“Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.”

So if you are in the flesh (sinful desires) you cannot please God.
Note: The word “flesh” here is also in reference to those who were trying to be justified by the Old Law (the Law of Moses as a whole) without God’s grace (Which is sin).

Also consider Romans 8:13. It says, “For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.”

In other words, this verse is saying: If you put to death the misdeeds of the body (sin), you shall live (live eternally). But if you live after sin or the flesh, you will die (die spiritually).

You said:
John's First Epistle is full of assurance for the true believer.

Actually John includes what if clauses that refutes Eternal Security.
John says if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If is a condition.

So to be forgiven is only IF you confess your sins. Forgiveness is dealing with salvation. John includes himself in this conversation so there is no real wiggle room out of this. Granted, I have heard different false interpretations on 1 John 1:9 before over the years and they are all an attempt to simply not believe what 1 John 1:9 says at face value.

Then there is 1 John 1:7. If we walk in the light… the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin.
The context of walking in your light = loving your brother according to the indirect wording in 1 John 2:9-11. So you have to love your brother or the blood of Jesus will not cleanse you from all sin. It’s conditional. Not unconditional.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This thread is now being used to argue against the believer's eternal security in Christ (which I myself believe is strongly Biblical); and the last post to this effect had absolutely nothing in reference to tattoos, which was what the OP was about (maybe I was guilty of this myself...we need to get back on topic...)

(I am now going to use a certain button.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Never thought of that. Will have to inquire with her father, my brother-in-law. Thanks.
@Marilyn C

It would seem that whether or not one is a Christian or not often has little to do with whether one has, or is favorable towards, a tattoo.

For some ppl - as a matter of personal or family custom - it would be a no-no:

Cachalot said:
Tattoos are unlady-like. That is why I would never have one.

For others, the tattoo parlor is very evidently used naturally and confidently as something that is very widely and long established:

MetalMike said:
My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly on the top of her foot...They had their tattoos for a few years before I got mine. I wasn't that interested in one at the time, and I wanted to do one that was meaningful and not one I would regret later...I got a tattoo back in '08. It's a cross on my forearm with a banner

Lady Crosstalk said:
I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.