Preachers & Politics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's a big mistake. Christian church LEADERS that want to share Jesus's word should stick to sharing Jesus's word rather than their own.

What is your view of it?

Reactions: shortangel

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's a big mistake. Christian church LEADERS that want to share Jesus's word should stick to sharing Jesus's word rather than their own.

What is your view of it?
Our church, the United Methodist Church, is torn in two by preachers who want to promote homosexuality - politics should be kept out of church.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The primary responsibility of preachers is to proclaim the full and true Gospel and to point to the Lord Jesus Christ as the only Savior of the world. They are to urge all to repent and be converted, and to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.

But their responsibility does not stop there. Christians are exhorted to rebuke the works of darkness, and John the Baptist did no hesitate to tell Herod what needed to be said (even though he lost his life for that). There is a spiritual battle raging in the political realm today, and Satan is trying to pervert everything that is decent and righteous. Therefore preachers must also speak out against the evildoers -- by name -- and call upon them to repent. They must also speak out against the evil policies of governments and organizations who are trying to bring everyone into bondage. Only Christ can set the captives free

What did Christ say regarding His ministry and how does it not apply to all Christians?
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor;
he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted,
to preach deliverance to the captives,
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The primary responsibility of preachers is to proclaim the full and true Gospel and to point to the Lord Jesus Christ as the only Savior of the world. They are to urge all to repent and be converted, and to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved.

But their responsibility does not stop there. Christians are exhorted to rebuke the works of darkness, and John the Baptist did no hesitate to tell Herod what needed to be said (even though he lost his life for that). There is a spiritual battle raging in the political realm today, and Satan is trying to pervert everything that is decent and righteous. Therefore preachers must also speak out against the evildoers -- by name -- and call upon them to repent. They must also speak out against the evil policies of governments and organizations who are trying to bring everyone into bondage. Only Christ can set the captives free

What did Christ say regarding His ministry and how does it not apply to all Christians?
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor;
he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted,
to preach deliverance to the captives,
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

I appreciate your thoughtful and scriptural response. Thank you.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the best of my recollection, neither Jesus nor John the Baptist, nor any of the apostles started any political movements and, in fact, never even discussed politics. Calling out King Herod's adultery isn't akin to engaging in political discourse.

Actually, Pope Francis' repeated forays into the political realm were one of the factors that led me to realize that he was not spreading the word of Jesus but, rather, his own, which helped to lead me out of the Catholic Church.

One can stick to the word of God to address ALL issues, political or otherwise. Besides, why use one's own words to convince a fellow believer when one can use God's words?

Last edited:
Reactions: shortangel

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
To the best of my recollection, neither Jesus nor John the Baptist, nor any of the apostles started any political movements and, in fact, never ever discussed politics. Calling out King Herod's adultery isn't akin to engaging in political discourse.

Actually, Pope Francis' repeated forays into the political realm were one of the factors that led me to realize that he was not spreading the word of Jesus but, rather, his own, which helped to lead me out of the Catholic Church.

One can stick to the word of God to address ALL issues, political or otherwise. Besides, why use one's own words to convince a fellow believer when one can use God's words?
The allure of tax exempt status which may be revoked if a church campaigns for a particular candidate is usually enough to give pastors pause. If the congregation didn't get to claim their tax exempt donations on their taxes it would be the end of any church.

Politics are quickly heading in an anti Christian direction. You may find it impossible not to get into politics in Church if you stick to the Bible.

Then all it would take is a shift in policy and the government would start going after churches in this roundabout way.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The allure of tax exempt status which may be revoked if a church campaigns for a particular candidate is usually enough to give pastors pause. If the congregation didn't get to claim their tax exempt donations on their taxes it would be the end of any church.

Politics are quickly heading in an anti Christian direction. You may find it impossible not to get into politics in Church if you stick to the Bible.

Then all it would take is a shift in policy and the government would start going after churches in this roundabout way.

Churches that bash Republicans and support the Democratic Party have nothing to fear.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What is your view of it?
Indeed, denominations that were at one time considered pillars of truth have faded away into oblivion. As Iranian refugees view the church in America with shock, describing it as being covered with a thick layer of Satanic apathy; vastly different from the church in Iran where being part of the church there could result in imprisonment or death.

The church in America has been reduced to a political platform consisting of “white, evangelical, Republicans” whose goal is to force their ideology upon everyone with the promise of imprisonment for those who refuse to comply. Freedom is their enemy.

These people including their pastors no longer read nor preach Scripture. The pulpit has turned into an unGodly political platform, and the apathetic congregation no longer cares.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Churches that bash Republicans and support the Democratic Party have nothing to fear.
I can't be certain about that. If the populist pendulum starts swinging back they may find themselves on the wrong side of whatever right wing party exists in that possible future.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't be certain about that. If the populist pendulum starts swinging back they may find themselves on the wrong side of whatever right wing party exists in that possible future.
There may be an exception(s) but, by and large, leftist, Christian, churches have been blatantly engaged in Democratic activism for DECADES and I don't know of any losing their tax-free status. Let us remember the church led by Jeremiah Wright of Chicago, where Barack Obama attended.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church in America has been reduced to a political platform consisting of “white, evangelical, Republicans” whose goal is to force their ideology upon everyone with the promise of imprisonment for those who refuse to comply. Freedom is their enemy.
Head in hands computer2.jpg

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There may be an exception(s) but, by and large, leftist, Christian, churches have been blatantly engaged in Democratic activism for DECADES and I don't know of any losing their tax-free status. Let us remember the church led by Jeremiah Wright of Chicago, where Barack Obama attended.
The republican party of years past is quite mild, they wouldn't go after Activist churches. What I'm referring to is a present and future time, when the left comes after the bible believing churches. The response would have to be very extreme in order to oppose them, hence the pendulum metaphor. But such a movement would not be Christian.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The republican party of years past is quite mild, they wouldn't go after Activist churches. What I'm referring to is a present and future time, when the left comes after the bible believing churches. The response would have to be very extreme in order to oppose them, hence the pendulum metaphor. But such a movement would not be Christian.

Until the anti-Christ arrives, I don't envision the left going too hard against Christian churches simply because countless black people and many American Latinos are Christian. A good number of white Democrats also identify as Christian but I'm guessing that a majority of Democrats are atheists, which wasn't the case until recently. Anyway, going after Christian churches would be, politically, counterproductive.