Protestants view New Agers as heretics and Catholics view Protestants as heretics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I forgot to leave this last part. I had a debate with a Christian family member last. He's Protestant baptist and I pointed out to him that the Catholics consider him as a heretic. He said the denomination doesn't matter. So then I told him ok then if denomination doesn't matter then the Mormons are equally just as Christian. Right away he stops me. That's when I said, "Wait a minute, I thought denomination doesn't matter." And then I just get a long response taking me down all these rabbit holes. If someone has to make that long of a response, I think they're just trying to convince themselves at that point.

But anyways, you have a good day as well. I could sense a breath of fresh air talking to you to some extent. I don't really run into that often
If you ever want to talk, just give me a holler. I just can't really help when you're just venting.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is futile for me to embrace Christ as my savior because Christians still condemn one another regardless of proclaiming Christ their savior or not. I personally think Christianity is about becoming more Christ-like. In a way I save myself because I come to Jesus to save me. It is my decision to be saved by Christ, therefore I am saving myself. People focus too much on the Jesus of Nazareth and not the Christ consciousness where Jesus knew he was one with the father. You'll probably consider all of what I said as New Age, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Strictly believing that I'm just some poor sinner who needs forgiveness actually strengthens the separation between me and Christ. It's like being in a relationship with someone who is so much more powerful than you that you just hate yourself even more. So no, I can't approach it like that, it doesn't feel right. And I don't want to reject Jesus either as if it's all about me. So instead I say it's both; I save myself by accepting Christ as my savior.

@Animal2692
Welcome to the forum.
Gods blessings to you and yours.

I do have somewhat an issue with the more modern Scriptural translations and more modern Teachings. Primarily the word usage.

As far as:

In a way I save myself because I come to Jesus to save me. It is my decision to be saved by Christ, therefore I am saving myself.

My perspective is: God offered the world Salvation individually NOW, (for the past 2,000 + years) by, through, of Christ Jesus, (IF) a man AGREES, to take His Offered Salvation, According to His Order and Way.
I get your point of “saving yourself”, which is by Agreeing to TAKE His Offering.
However, from my perspective, Salvation is a Gift that belongs to God, Offered to man, and man is the Recipient of the Gift, IF he Agrees to take it.
I contend the Gift is Gods, And Given to me by my agreeing to take it.
His Gift, is what saved me, therefore...He is accredited With and Remembered For, My Salvation.

Glory to God,
Taken

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Protestants view New Agers as heretics and Catholics view Protestants as heretics
All those hairy tics.....shock horror! .....when ever will we get the ordinary variety?

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you ever want to talk, just give me a holler. I just can't really help when you're just venting.
Hello, I don't believe we have ever had a conversation.
I am curious, is it true about your age?

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
And the denominations game is just a smoke screen for the truly important aspects of Bible Truth.

@Animal2692
Jesus went around telling people He was the only way to Salvation. Was He looking down on people like He was better?

How do people tell the Truth without being seen as arrogant or self-righteous to those who don't have faith and don't want anything to do with it?

Did you know that faith is a gift from God? That you're not capable of believing in Him unless He chooses to grant you that ability.
A more interesting claim of being truth by the label of correct reading of Bible stories in infected by flesh, the Greatest one called least to least man in heaven which means Christ in you is at least faith trying to strength it, milk was a old wine mixing new wine is classic christians still looking for christ outside themselves is a favorite responses that think your correct, new wine will cast out your judgements against other belief your obviously saved instead of waken, just like the hints of using a hill called skull and just happened 2000 years ago is new age that is your master.
Judging new age is a flesh favorite warnings against their defeating grace and mercy is funny saints still themselves in imprission being a grace defeaters is your fault against it pure and powerful Love judges you christians who might be last instead of first, your choice.

Animal2692

Apr 22, 2022
Denver
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I remember I was conversing with my sister in law who is Christian and pro life. I told her it's a contradiction that God is love but also killed so many people in the Old Testament. She tried using the metaphor of punishing your kids when they do something bad and I told her that it's still nothing compared to God razing cities and wiping out populations of people. She then asked me if I support capital punishment to which I vehemently responded "No because it's a sick and twisted way for a society to justify its revenge on a defenseless person." And then I told her you are pro-life but yet you support the death penalty, how does that even compute? Let's say we got to a point where abortion became outlawed and every mother guilty of it gets the death penalty. So now we're going to execute mothers who had an abortion. It's funny to me that most people who are against abortion are pro death penalty. And her husband stepped in trying to justify it by saying, "A baby doesn't know why it's being killed." I guess that justifies 3 people strapping someone to an electric chair and frying their brains out

Reactions: Jim B and Cassandra

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
All those hairy tics.....shock horror! .....when ever will we get the ordinary variety?

I’m neither Catholic nor Protestant. I’m not as hairy as I used to be, back in the days of my Protestant youth.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome Animal. We call this reasoning what this depicts Screenshot_20221126-151034~2.png

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Exactly because not everyone sees that about themselves which is damaging throughout the world. It's easy for them to accuse others of heresy but they want to act all high and mighty as if they have the monopoly on the truth. "I'm with Jesus and you're a lost soul because you're not." That type of attitude is what disgusts me. And even when those people claim to say it out of compassion, they're really saying it out of pity. No matter how they want to sugarcoat it, deep down somewhere they think they're better. Their true colors show when you do something around them they don't like and they immediately jump to saying it's all because you don't have Jesus like they do. You seem to be a step ahead because even you recognize that we are heretics to someone. This thread is just providing a specific example of how say, Protestants think I'm a heretic and I have to remind them that they are too in the eyes of Catholics. There's just so many people who lack self awareness, all they do is blame. I'm simply saying when you point the finger at me, you have 3 pointing back at you. I think that because this is so obvious like you've said, is precisely the reason why it's overlooked by many.
I understand your point and you may not even be around anymore....I just saw this.
BUT, don't you believe there has to be an objective truth?
If we're all right then no one is right.

Either New Age (which I'm not sure of what it is)
or Protestantism
or Catholicism
is wrong.

I do want to say that Protestants and Catholics believe in the axioms of Christianity.

(I don't know what you believe).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I understand your point and you may not even be around anymore....I just saw this.
BUT, don't you believe there has to be an objective truth?
If we're all right then no one is right.

Either New Age (which I'm not sure of what it is)
or Protestantism
or Catholicism
is wrong.

I do want to say that Protestants and Catholics believe in the axioms of Christianity.

(I don't know what you believe).
could the 'isms' both be wrong? Have they both lost sight of Jesus for their own constructs?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
could the 'isms' both be wrong? Have they both lost sight of Jesus for their own constructs?
They could both be wrong,
but they can't both be right.
What is the alternative?
Certainly we should be able to trust a church that is SUPPOSED to teach what Jesus taught.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
They could both be wrong,
but they can't both be right.
What is the alternative?
Certainly we should be able to trust a church that is SUPPOSED to teach what Jesus taught.
What Jesus taught will only be spread by those who know him. Those who claim to know him but don't will continue with their religious yada yada and not understand the difference....their eyes are closed.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Animal2692
Welcome to the forum.
Gods blessings to you and yours.

I do have somewhat an issue with the more modern Scriptural translations and more modern Teachings. Primarily the word usage.

As far as:

My perspective is: God offered the world Salvation individually NOW, (for the past 2,000 + years) by, through, of Christ Jesus, (IF) a man AGREES, to take His Offered Salvation, According to His Order and Way.
I get your point of “saving yourself”, which is by Agreeing to TAKE His Offering.
However, from my perspective, Salvation is a Gift that belongs to God, Offered to man, and man is the Recipient of the Gift, IF he Agrees to take it.
I contend the Gift is Gods, And Given to me by my agreeing to take it.
His Gift, is what saved me, therefore...He is accredited With and Remembered For, My Salvation.

Glory to God,
Taken
So why do you communicate in the same style as the more modern Scriptural translations?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have many new age values because they make more sense. As a result, Protestants accuse me of taking what I want out of the Bible or taking verses out of context and so I remind them that they do the same which is why there are so many denominations. A Baptist told me, "Oh, the New Age movement will come and go like the rest. The truth will still remain." So I told them, but you're a Baptist and only 400 or so years old (Baptists didn't come about till 1600), Christianity has been around before the Bible was even written. Pope Dameus sent Jerome to collect all the texts the churches were reading which led to the Bible. The majority of Christians had no idea about the Bible for the first 300-400 years. Why is the oldest Bible different from the Bible protestants go off of? Most Christians today are Catholic so anyone whose not Catholic and accuses me of heresy, I also remind them of the same thing they're accusing me of. Let's be honest, we are all heretics to someone.

Protestants will mention all the negative things about Catholicism referring to indulgences and the inquisition but the Protestants also killed those whom they viewed as heretics. The point is, Catholicism/Eastern Orthodox came before any Protestant so for a Protestant to accuse me of twisting scripture is hypocrisy. Catholics have plenty of reasons to think of Protestants as heretics.

Where many Catholics agree with me is this by the way:

View attachment 21937
Your observations are good, but your conclusion does not explain the truth of "Why" these things are so.

Indeed, all have fallen short of the truth--by design. The reason for this, is that since the world began until the end, every generation is to get a fairly similar opportunity of believing what the truth is. This is a form of sorting out those whose tenancy is toward God, from those whose tenancy is not--by their own choosing. Thus, as time goes on there are more and more different beliefs (and denominations) to broaden the field to match the greater number of people drawing from it.

Likewise, the world is also believed to be older as the horizon line of those greater numbers of people also expanses.

But back to denominational differences. Biblically speaking--which is not actually of men--but is the providence of God alone, as no man or number of men could actually oversee beyond their own generation: Thus, denominations are defined as the many members of one body. Rather than their differences being divisions, unbeknownst even to each different denomination, they are the necessary components and complement that makes up a sum greater than its parts.

Meanwhile, each person is working toward their own fate, by their own choosing.

All of which I say, not as a theory, or my own or others opinion, or speculations, or conjecture...but as by the same means that all that is written in the scriptures comes from beyond mankind's own ability. Which is to say, it is from God--not debatable, and not open to discussion. On the other hand, if you have questions, just ask.

Last edited:

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have many new age values because they make more sense. As a result, Protestants accuse me of taking what I want out of the Bible or taking verses out of context and so I remind them that they do the same which is why there are so many denominations. A Baptist told me, "Oh, the New Age movement will come and go like the rest. The truth will still remain." So I told them, but you're a Baptist and only 400 or so years old (Baptists didn't come about till 1600), Christianity has been around before the Bible was even written. Pope Dameus sent Jerome to collect all the texts the churches were reading which led to the Bible. The majority of Christians had no idea about the Bible for the first 300-400 years. Why is the oldest Bible different from the Bible protestants go off of? Most Christians today are Catholic so anyone whose not Catholic and accuses me of heresy, I also remind them of the same thing they're accusing me of. Let's be honest, we are all heretics to someone.

Protestants will mention all the negative things about Catholicism referring to indulgences and the inquisition but the Protestants also killed those whom they viewed as heretics. The point is, Catholicism/Eastern Orthodox came before any Protestant so for a Protestant to accuse me of twisting scripture is hypocrisy. Catholics have plenty of reasons to think of Protestants as heretics.

Where many Catholics agree with me is this by the way:

View attachment 21937
In regards to the Baptists.

The teaching of Baptists.. what they mainly agree on, goes back before 1600.

The Waldenses, Donatists and Paulicians are among groups of independent Christian churches that held to 'baptistic' teachings. These groups.. go right back, seperate from catholicism to apostolic times.

They were distinguished by baptizing by immersion only those who were already believers.

They would also re-baptize by immersion, those from other denominations that were off beam.

They held to keeping a pure faith, and seperated from state involvement in Christianity.

Much if what is written about them is from their persecutors.. so you gotta be careful what the writers are calling heresy. The 'heresy ' is probably biblical sounds beliefs that the accusers have warped.

Anyway, I tried New Age type beliefs from 1999 to 2002 ish. I was with a group going into nature and meditating to be one with an animal, a rock, crystals and the universe!

I was combining Christianity with it. I'd grown up with Christianity before getting into it. So I'd try and pray to be protected from any evilness in the stuff I was doing.

In the end though I couldn't hold both beliefs and them be complimentary. So for a time I gave up Christianity.

I got back to Christianity thru learning about the real history of who Jesus is. It made me realize I had to take Jesus seriously.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In regards to the Baptists.

The teaching of Baptists.. what they mainly agree on, goes back before 1600.

The Waldenses, Donatists and Paulicians are among groups of independent Christian churches that held to 'baptistic' teachings. These groups.. go right back, seperate from catholicism to apostolic times.
That's what Baptist Secessionists teach, and they are an embarrassment to Baptists.

for further reading: