"Psalm39" Confused ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what other peoples interpretations are of PSALM 39, I'm confused on verses 10 -11 -12 and 13. In verses 10 - 11 God mentions disciplining a man with rebukes for sin, and that the sufferer is experiencing the hostility of his hand, and that he wishes for God to remove it, and that what is dear to him God consumes! Verses 12 -13 speak of the sufferer further praying to God for sympathy that he will hear his cry and see his tears, that God will look away from him, that he may smile again, before he departs and is no more.

Would these rebukes therefore not be the same thing as in relation to punishment? Yet was this not the reason why Jesus died on the cross, "punishment for sins." I know a rebuke and punishment are two different things, but it's clear Gods disciplining with rebukes for sin constitutes a form of punishment as the sufferer is grieved.

Psalm 39
I said, “I will guard my ways,
that I may not sin with my tongue;
I will guard my mouth with a muzzle,
so long as the wicked are in my presence.”
2 I was mute and silent;
I held my peace to no avail,
and my distress grew worse.
3 My heart became hot within me.
As I mused, the fire burned;
then I spoke with my tongue:
4 “O Lord, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!
5 Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath!
6 Surely a man goes about as a shadow!
Surely for nothing[a] they are in turmoil;
man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather!
7 “And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?
My hope is in you.
8 Deliver me from all my transgressions.
Do not make me the scorn of the fool!
9 I am mute; I do not open my mouth,
for it is you who have done it.
10 Remove your stroke from me;
I am spent by the hostility of your hand.
11 When you discipline a man
with rebukes for sin,
you consume like a moth what is dear to him;
surely all mankind is a mere breath!
12 “Hear my prayer, O Lord,
and give ear to my cry;
hold not your peace at my tears!
For I am a sojourner with you,
a guest, like all my fathers.
13 Look away from me, that I may smile again,
before I depart and am no more!”

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering what other peoples interpretations are of PSALM 39, I'm confused on verses 10 -11 -12 and 13. In verses 10 - 11 God mentions disciplining a man with rebukes for sin, and that the sufferer is experiencing the hostility of his hand, and that he wishes for God to remove it, and that what is dear to him God consumes! Verses 12 -13 speak of the sufferer further praying to God for sympathy that he will hear his cry and see his tears, that God will look away from him, that he may smile again, before he departs and is no more.

Would these rebukes therefore not be the same thing as in relation to punishment? Yet was this not the reason why Jesus died on the cross, "punishment for sins." I know a rebuke and punishment are two different things, but it's clear Gods disciplining with rebukes for sin constitutes a form of punishment as the sufferer is grieved.

Psalm 39
2 I was mute and silent;
My hope is in you.
with rebukes for sin,
and give ear to my cry;
This all sounds familiar to church teachings I received a long time ago. I think it goes that the wicked have no guarantee of prospering in the land. Their crops will perish, etc. It's not a personal punishment. It just means the wicked have no guarantee that they will prosper.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PSALM 39, I'm confused on verses 10 -11 -12 and 13.
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

I will pray for you, as I also used to be in Confusion - hope this helps:

Prophecy/Law, concerning King David and the nation Of Israel Psalm 39

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That DIFFER!” {online}:

Mystery/GRACE, Concerning today's members of The Body Of CHRIST!
(Romans - Philemon) see "link" = GRACE for our infirmities!

Hopefully this Comparison will help with Confusion of what is for today,
for The Body Of Christ, and what is not, because it was for Israel. Ok?

Please be Very Richly Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified.

GRACE And Peace... The apostle of GRACE (2 Min With The BIBLE)

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Psalm 39
2 I was mute and silent;
My hope is in you.
with rebukes for sin,
and give ear to my cry;

rebukes are not punishment. If you stray, God will set you back on the correct path. Its not punishment though. If you mess up as a child, didnt your parents correct you? Same as with God. Its one thing to openly do wrong, its another to sin, not knowing it is a sin, and then God will let you know “hey, dont be doing that nonsense.”

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you,

However my point was, what is the overall conclusion to the Psalm? especially verses 11-13.

with rebukes for sin,
you consume like a moth what is dear to him

I myself have a history of sin like the rest of the human race and things I regret doing, but being a believer in Jesus and by faith accepting the precious blood spilt, those sins have been forgiven, "give praise" But for many years now I've experienced a decline in prosperity, dried up business, loss of company and companionship, and poverty near close to destitute.

However prior to all this, confession and repentance of these sins where given in prayer and have remained faithful. But regardless of commitment, dedication, willpower and strength to carry on, I continue to experience great loss to no avail.

Therefore in verse 11, what is the definition of what God is saying? When you discipline a man with rebukes for sin, you consume like a moth what is dear to him, is he saying this is permanent and that all my days are spent? and there is no hope left due to past sins?

And verse 13, Look away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more!” Is God telling me my end is near. I don't believe so, because God is love, and the only way to repentance is to sin, therefore in Jesus we all have a second chance. So what is God saying in the verses, as I take it very seriously.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you,

However my point was, what is the overall conclusion to the Psalm? especially verses 11-13.

with rebukes for sin,

I myself have a history of sin like the rest of the human race and things I regret doing, but being a believer in Jesus and by faith accepting the precious blood spilt, those sins have been forgiven, "give praise" But for many years now I've experienced a decline in prosperity, dried up business, loss of company and companionship, and poverty near close to destitute.

However prior to all this, confession and repentance of these sins where given in prayer and have remained faithful. But regardless of commitment, dedication, willpower and strength to carry on, I continue to experience great loss to no avail.

Therefore in verse 11, what is the definition of what God is saying? Is he saying all my days are spent? and there is no hope left due to past sins? And verse 13, Look away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more!” Is God telling me my end is near. I don't believe so, because God is love, and the only way to repentance is to sin, therefore in Jesus we all have a second chance.
I have experienced similar troubles. But I sin and have to repent which I am trying to do. So I'm not sure, but I don't think we are to lay up treasures here on the earth, but in heaven.

Matthew 6:19-20
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you,

with rebukes for sin,

Therefore in verse 11, what is the definition of what God is saying? When you discipline a man with rebukes for sin, you consume like a moth what is dear to him, is he saying this is permanent and that all my days are spent? and there is no hope left due to past sins?

And verse 13, Look away from me, that I may smile again, before I depart and am no more!” Is God telling me my end is near. I don't believe so, because God is love, and the only way to repentance is to sin, therefore in Jesus we all have a second chance. So what is God saying in the verses, as I take it very seriously.

I find it summed up in this,

Habakkuk 3:1-2 KJV
1) A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet upon Shigionoth.
2) O LORD, I have heard thy speech, and was afraid: O LORD, revive thy work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make known; in wrath remember mercy.

and,

Isaiah 57:16 KJV
For I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.

Much love!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that looking at these verses in the KJV may help give insight.

Psalm 39:11-13
[11]When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah.
[12]Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.
[13]O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.