Q&A: Why Do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this question has been asked by believers and unbelievers alike. This week, we spoke about Bible-based answers to this question. Some topics included sowing and reaping, opening spiritual doors we shouldn't, etc. I'd like to invite everyone to listen in and share your comments. If there is anything we missed, jump in to the discussion! Iron sharpens iron :)

"I Wanna Know!" Christian Podcast
p.s. This is 100% free, we're just stepping out in faith to do what we believe God is leading us to do. No solicitations, etc. Also, this link is to Spotify but you can find it wherever you listen to podcasts. We're also in the process of posting episodes on YouTube but it will be a while before it's caught up with the other platforms. God bless!!

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I received a comment about something and I wanted to add it here as a point of discussion. The focus of the conversation was how we are too quick to blame God for bad seed that we have sown into our lives. That's not to say that is the only reason bad things happen. There was, of course, Job and the man that was born blind, but too many times we point a finger at God when we used our own free will and left ourselves open to a bad harvest. For example, if you are a chain smoker for 20 years and suddenly get diagnosed with lung cancer, was that God's "will"? I don't believe so. It's a choice we made that left us open to attack. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Reactions: Nancy

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Misty,

To answer your question, Bad things happen to good people in order to perfect them.... God disciplines those whom he loves, and we are his sons and daughters. So where some see a "bad thing", I see it as the Love of God for me.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I received a comment about something and I wanted to add it here as a point of discussion. The focus of the conversation was how we are too quick to blame God for bad seed that we have sown into our lives. That's not to say that is the only reason bad things happen. There was, of course, Job and the man that was born blind, but too many times we point a finger at God when we used our own free will and left ourselves open to a bad harvest. For example, if you are a chain smoker for 20 years and suddenly get diagnosed with lung cancer, was that God's "will"? I don't believe so. It's a choice we made that left us open to attack. Would love to hear your thoughts!
Yes indeed sister! We DO reap what we sow, saved or not. I can definitely attest to the reaping and sowing as, I am living it. We should expect nothing less. And agreed, we allow bad doors to open and many evil things happen because of that. Also, not obeying The Lord will bring on evil things.
Good post for pondering...people MUST STOP blaming God o_O

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Misty Williams Satan does not like followers of God and provides evil things to happen to them thru other people or thru some other means. Satan likes to afflict followers of God. We can also do unwise things that lead to destruction like lung cancer sure.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this question has been asked by believers and unbelievers alike. This week, we spoke about Bible-based answers to this question. Some topics included sowing and reaping, opening spiritual doors we shouldn't, etc. I'd like to invite everyone to listen in and share your comments. If there is anything we missed, jump in to the discussion! Iron sharpens iron :)

"I Wanna Know!" Christian Podcast
p.s. This is 100% free, we're just stepping out in faith to do what we believe God is leading us to do. No solicitations, etc. Also, this link is to Spotify but you can find it wherever you listen to podcasts. We're also in the process of posting episodes on YouTube but it will be a while before it's caught up with the other platforms. God bless!!
There are no good people. (Mark 10:17-18)

Misty Williams

Apr 8, 2022
Mobile
thefathershouseboc.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are no good people. (Mark 10:17-18)
Exactly! The yardstick we use to measure "goodness" is often based on the world's perception, not God's. Just because we don't steal, kill, etc. etc. doesn't make us "good". Fortunately we have a high prieist, in Christ, who knows what we experience in the world and intercedes for us!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember a preacher saying that the same afflictions hit both believers and unbelievers so that the world can see the difference in how the Christian responds.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Exactly! The yardstick we use to measure "goodness" is often based on the world's perception, not God's. Just because we don't steal, kill, etc. etc. doesn't make us "good". Fortunately we have a high prieist, in Christ, who knows what we experience in the world and intercedes for us!
@Misty Williams I think of Job who said: "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him": this is true faith; and we rest in Christ's intercession for the believer on account of our Great High Priest's finished work at the Cross.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I remember a preacher saying that the same afflictions hit both believers and unbelievers so that the world can see the difference in how the Christian responds.
Good way of putting it.

Isaiah 48.10 says: "I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction".

Reactions: Lambano