Question for Catholics or those who have left the Catholic church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should churches provide a mechanism for release from sacred vows?

• yes, they should

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • no, they sholdn't

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • why bother? Just leave.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Don't join in the first place.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Just "crash" church services like wedding crashers. There's no need to become a member.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
ok man!! its 2 ur own detriment!! catholisism is a false teaching and is gonna lead u 2 hell if u don't leave it, don't say I didn't warn you! but if u don't think so den defend your religion right now!!
1. Catholicism does not lead people to hell.
It lead people to God --- at least those who want to go there.

2. Which false teachings does it teach?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
prove it? plus its not how long uv been traveling its how far uv travelled!!

Prove it.....seriously? No.

I posted 19 years because it has involved 19 years of study, dovespirit.
It’s not a record of roll call

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Priests can leave the priesthood.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Yes!

And here is more truth found in this type of situation; no one should leave any relationship feeling angry or at least they should have a plan to deal with angry emotions. Ripping people out of their cult is not healthy! Most likely, it results in anger towards all organized religion and God. Atheists may not exist in foxholes, but they are born out of this type of anger. The Jewish people rescued from concentration camps in WWII died when the well meaning soldiers feed them.

If I discovered that Catholicism was tricking me, I would want to leave without resentment or a desire to retaliate, which I see several people doing here, “I was raised Catholic and they sacrificed babies every night! And used to worship Mary by the light of full moon!”.

We all have to find our way in this world and Christ is faithful! He is not trying to trick us! We may, in fact, be called to a cult for a good reason, which may not be obvious.

I've wandered into a few cults; some are better than others. Whether by design or adaptation, we all search for certainty. Sometimes we settle prematurely because it allows us to focus on other things. All religious denominations have some common ground with cultic practices. At some point one has to accept what their church is teaching "on faith" because no explanation will be provided.

If our search was for truth rather than security, very few would remain.

Reactions: aspen

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up in the catholic faith..... I went to the school from the first grade to the
sixth....... I always felt like I was going to hell. I never knew what it was like being
SAVED...........!!!! in my 50's " and my husband also......." went to a bible church.
And we got saved....... And we finally got a bible and read it ........ in place of the prayer
book and rosary. ....What a great feeling it is now to have the truth.

I have a friend who still belongs,,,, but she goes to a different c. church.
and it sounds like they are teaching better....... I sure hope so..
Because we do not talk about church or religion.......... I remember back when I was
catholic they priest and nuns told us not to talk to people who believed in other religions.
So I am going to have to work slow on this......... only thing is we do not have that much time
left, she is a year younger then me.... 83 for me and she is 82......

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Prove it.....seriously? No.

I posted 19 years because it has involved 19 years of study, dovespirit.
It’s not a record of roll call

listen man I grow up catholic, I was an altar boy, the religion is a scam!! if u do the research!! ull see, catholics are no where near Christians!! know where in the bible or Christian teachings does it mention anything about pope, or vicar, or conformation. I don't hate you or any catholics but I oppose wat they do 2 the fullest and i'm just trying 2 warn you that's all, i'm mandated 2 by my Lord and saviour. its bad fruit man and like I've said many times on here if u don't believe me "search it for urself" u have the internet man!

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1. Catholicism does not lead people to hell.
It lead people to God --- at least those who want to go there.

2. Which false teachings does it teach?

bible says matthew 5:21 u know the rest yet they killed William tindayle and thousands of Christian martrs over the centuries, lets start from there!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
bible says matthew 5:21 u know the rest yet they killed William tindayle and thousands of Christian martrs over the centuries, lets start from there!
Yes, I agree with you.
Horrible tragedies.
Same stuff went on in Protestantism...
Man is born with the sin nature - after all.
that church is not killing anyone these days.

But Tyndale wasn't a doctrine...
you said they taught heresies or wrong doctrine...

I asked you: Like what?

Last edited:
B

brakelite

At some point one has to accept what their church is teaching "on faith" because no explanation will be provided.
Doesn't apply to my church. I think there are more authors and teachers willing to discuss, defend, and elaborate on our teachings than any church I know. Innumerable web sites and independent ministries who have screeds of material, much of it free for the asking.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Doesn't apply to my church. I think there are more authors and teachers willing to discuss, defend, and elaborate on our teachings than any church I know. Innumerable web sites and independent ministries who have screeds of material, much of it free for the asking.

No doubt there's plenty of material to search out and learn from. My point is that there's a cultist in all of us who eventually accepts one doctrine over another. One makes sense to them while the other doesn't. Some simply go with what looks better on the surface. Some like the fellowship. Some like the music. Some like the preaching. Some like the pancake breakfasts they have once a month. They all accept the existence of God because they have to accept it without any objective evidence. There is no referent for God.

Then there are those who seek until they find.

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I agree with you.
Horrible tragedies.
Same stuff went on in Protestantism...
Man is born with the sin nature - after all.
that church is not killing anyone these days.

But Tyndale wasn't a doctrine...
you said they taught heresies or wrong doctrine...

I asked you: Like what?

Are u being serious Mann!!! like 4 real?? :mad:

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone who has left the Catholic faith ever considered the possibility of being officially excommunicated. The reason I ask is because after being confirmed into the faith, one has made a solemn vow to keep and uphold the Catholic faith. To then just walk away seems like it would present a problem to people who aren't in the habit of breaking their vows.

Perhaps it matters why one leaves the church. If one were to discover some sort of subterfuge, this might warrant one to seek release from their vow; an annulment of sorts. The Catholic church has an annulment process for marriage vows, why not for annulling confirmation vows?

I never have. I may return one day

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would have to know what the exact vow is, and what it means within the RCC. Much of their doctrine ignores the existence of other denominations.

Perhaps you should read this...

DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON THE CHURCH
LUMEN GENTIUM
SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON NOVEMBER 21, 1964
Lumen gentium

So it may be possible to remain "Catholic" because to them that is the universal church. I.e. so long as you are Christian you are Catholic.

"Roman Catholic" does not cover all members of His Church.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No doubt there's plenty of material to search out and learn from. My point is that there's a cultist in all of us who eventually accepts one doctrine over another.
The "cultist" in all of us is the "old man" in need of crucifying. While he remains the fight between this doctrine and that one continues. When he is finally dead in all members, all of us who remain will be one in and of God.

One makes sense to them while the other doesn't. Some simply go with what looks better on the surface. Some like the fellowship. Some like the music. Some like the preaching. Some like the pancake breakfasts they have once a month.
All of this is so in a measure, but there also some who simply love God enough to surrender to Him and then He fills in the blanks so that they can enter in through the "strait and narrow" Way.

They all accept the existence of God because they have to accept it without any objective evidence.
No, some of them accept the existence of God because He has talked to their hearts and has drawn them to His Son, Jesus.

There is no referent for God.
Without God there is no 'referent' for anything!

referent:
the thing that a word or phrase denotes or stands for.
"“the Morning Star” and “the Evening Star” have the same referent (the planet Venus)"

"And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.:" Col 1:17

Then there are those who seek until they find.
Yes, some are obedient!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps you should read this... Lumen gentium
Which is a purely Roman Catholic document. Why would a non-Catholic believe this (below from Lumen Gentium) which is unsupported by Scripture?

11. It is through the sacraments and the exercise of the virtues that the sacred nature and organic structure of the priestly community is brought into operation. Incorporated in the Church through baptism, the faithful are destined by the baptismal character for the worship of the Christian religion; reborn as sons of God they must confess before men the faith which they have received from God through the Church (4*). They are more perfectly bound to the Church by the sacrament of Confirmation, and the Holy Spirit endows them with special strength so that they are more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith, both by word and by deed, as true witnesses of Christ (5*). Taking part in the Eucharistic sacrifice, which is the fount and apex of the whole Christian life, they offer the Divine Victim to God, and offer themselves along with It.(6*) Thus both by reason of the offering and through Holy Communion all take part in this liturgical service, not indeed, all in the same way but each in that way which is proper to himself. Strengthened in Holy Communion by the Body of Christ, they then manifest in a concrete way that unity of the people of God which is suitably signified and wondrously brought about by this most august sacrament.

So what we have here is:
1. Salvation through the sacraments
2. Baptismal regeneration
3. Receiving God through the Catholic Church
4. Believing that Jesus is literally a sacrificial victim on an altar where a human priest sacrifices Him at the Mass.

This dogma does not unite Christians but seriously divides them. Hence the Reformation. And the Council of Trent pronounced the Reformers as heretics.

Yehren

Sep 12, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
I would have to know what the exact vow is, and what it means within the RCC. Much of their doctrine ignores the existence of other denominations.

Yehren suggests:
Perhaps you should read this...

DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON THE CHURCH
LUMEN GENTIUM
SOLEMNLY PROMULGATED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON NOVEMBER 21, 1964
Lumen gentium

Which is a purely Roman Catholic document.

Yes. It's an explicit statement of the way the Church views other religious entities. As you now realize, the Church does not "ignore" the existence of other denominations, but acknowledges them and their sacred worth which unites them with us in Christ.

Why would a non-Catholic believe this

Because it's what the Church teaches about other denominations. As you see, it not only does not ignore other denominations, but acknowledges:

The Church recognizes that in many ways she is linked with those who, being baptized, are honored with the name of Christian, though they do not profess the faith in its entirety or do not preserve unity of communion with the successor of Peter. (14*) For there are many who honor Sacred Scripture, taking it as a norm of belief and a pattern of life, and who show a sincere zeal. They lovingly believe in God the Father Almighty and in Christ, the Son of God and Saviour. (15*) They are consecrated by baptism, in which they are united with Christ. They also recognize and accept other sacraments within their own Churches or ecclesiastical communities. Many of them rejoice in the episcopate, celebrate the Holy Eucharist and cultivate devotion toward the Virgin Mother of God.(16*) They also share with us in prayer and other spiritual benefits. Likewise we can say that in some real way they are joined with us in the Holy Spirit, for to them too He gives His gifts and graces whereby He is operative among them with His sanctifying power. Some indeed He has strengthened to the extent of the shedding of their blood.
(Article 15)

(below from Lumen Gentium) which is unsupported by Scripture?

Perhaps you should read your Bible more often. You'd find there's a great deal more to the NT, than you suppose.

11. It is through the sacraments and the exercise of the virtues that the sacred nature and organic structure of the priestly community is brought into operation. Incorporated in the Church through baptism, the faithful are destined by the baptismal character for the worship of the Christian religion; reborn as sons of God they must confess before men the faith which they have received from God through the Church (4*). They are more perfectly bound to the Church by the sacrament of Confirmation, and the Holy Spirit endows them with special strength so that they are more strictly obliged to spread and defend the faith, both by word and by deed, as true witnesses of Christ (5*). Taking part in the Eucharistic sacrifice, which is the fount and apex of the whole Christian life, they offer the Divine Victim to God, and offer themselves along with It.(6*) Thus both by reason of the offering and through Holy Communion all take part in this liturgical service, not indeed, all in the same way but each in that way which is proper to himself. Strengthened in Holy Communion by the Body of Christ, they then manifest in a concrete way that unity of the people of God which is suitably signified and wondrously brought about by this most august sacrament.

So what we have here is:
1. Salvation through the sacraments

No. It says nothing about salvation through the sacraments. You merely inserted that idea. No wonder scripture is hard for you. Read without adding your own ideas, and it will be easier.

2. Baptismal regeneration

Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

3. Receiving God through the Catholic Church

Matthew 16:15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" 16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." 17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven."

4. Believing that Jesus is literally a sacrificial victim on an altar where a human priest sacrifices Him at the Mass.

No, the priest does not sacrifice Him. No wonder you hate Catholics; you don't know anything about them. But the mass is a sacrifice, according to Jesus:

Matthew 26:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus, the same night in which he was betrayed, took bread, 24And giving thanks, broke and said: Take ye and eat: This is my body, which shall be delivered for you. This do for the commemoration of me. 25In like manner also the chalice, after he had supped, saying: This chalice is the new testament in my blood. This do ye, as often as you shall drink, for the commemoration of me. 26For as often as you shall eat this bread and drink the chalice, you shall shew the death of the Lord, until he come.

As you have learned, we consider other Christians to be our brothers in Christ, and even considers the non-Christian religious to be our neighbors and their faith deserving of respect.

The Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men. Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim Christ "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6), in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to Himself.
DECLARATION ON
THE RELATION OF THE CHURCH TO NON-CHRISTIAN RELIGIONS
NOSTRA AETATE
PROCLAIMED BY HIS HOLINESS
POPE PAUL VI
ON OCTOBER 28, 1965

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No wonder you hate Catholics; you don't know anything about them.
Non-Catholics do not *hate* Catholics. But we feel sorry for them, just like everyone who is ensnared in any cult. And let's face it, the Catholic religion is the cult of Mary.

And since everyone has access to the Catechism of the Catholic Church you cannot say *you don't know anything about them*. I have quoted extensively from the CCC as well as the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia to show Catholics that their unauthorized human priests literally sacrifice Christ on an altar in a bloodless Mass. Which is an abomination in the sight of God.