Reading The Word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
When you read the Bible is it in intense long periods of reading for a few weeks and then...hardly any at all for a few weeks? This is the way I seem to read the Bible. I will get this big urge to read a lot, then after several days my head will start to hurt. Maybe just from reading at night. I cant do that "verse a day" stuff so many Bibles suggest. Then I will have hardly any interest to read. Anyone else like this?

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
I read for answers,I read when i feel I really need to learn,I do not read every night honestly,I may need to,but I have found out that to fully comphrehend what you read,you have to let it sink,if I were to just keep reading and reading I would not take in everything I needed. Reading is not something many enjoy,even if it is God's word-I find some days I just want to keep on,then the next I am tired and if I read a verse it won't sink in.

Nyoka

Mar 26, 2008
(Mikey;44687)
When you read the Bible is it in intense long periods of reading for a few weeks and then...hardly any at all for a few weeks? This is the way I seem to read the Bible. I will get this big urge to read a lot, then after several days my head will start to hurt. Maybe just from reading at night. I cant do that "verse a day" stuff so many Bibles suggest. Then I will have hardly any interest to read. Anyone else like this?
This is what I am like. I have found, like Dukester, that I need to have breaks in my reading to let it all sink in. I don't think there is anything wrong with this either. We all learn in different ways so there really isn't a right or wrong way for reading the Bible. The main thing is you are reading it.

RaddSpencer

Mar 28, 2008
I tend to gravitate towards certain books. My favorite books are:proverbsActs (and the 4 gospels too)RevelationsI like proverbs because -- its the straight up truth"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." Prov 18:22HOWEVER"It is better to live in a corner of a roof, than in a house shared with a contentious woman." Prov 21:9"A constant dripping on a day of steady rain and a contentious woman are alike." Prov 27:15SO TRUE SO TRUE XD XD XD
biggrin.gif
---> so ladies, if your husband is living in a corner of the attic -- slack up on him a bit XD.I like Acts and the gospels because they are about Jesus and his immediate legacy. (right after he ascended to heaven)And lastly I like revelations because it is SO FAR OUT there. I am surprised no one has made a scifi - like movie about it yet. HOWEVER, don't think the Bible is boring and stuffy. It is not. What I think is so interesting is why Song of Solomon is included in the old testament. I mean, thats a rather racy piece-o-scripture. I know it has something to do with Jesus's relationship to the church, but its rather "straight-forward" in a lot of ways.For you guys who have not read Song of Solomon (also known as Song of Songs) -- my pastor basically said to read it once you are married to your wife.

walking4him

Mar 31, 2008
I've found that it's best to treat reading the bible in two ways. 1) How you would read a text book for school. Just a chapter here and there and try to make sure you really comprehend what you've read. 2) like a leisure book. Just read it so that you know what happens but maybe don't remember every single person's name. if you do that and try to do one or both each day for at least 30-60 mins you'll not only find your self reading more than you planned, but you'll miss it on a day when you may have not had the time.