Revival is the Baptism By fire

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um. Yes. But it's not a "theology" problem, its an obedience problem, I think.
When Jesus purged HIS temple did he purge the temples of other religions as well.... This is what your trying to say when when you say the Earth is the LORD's and applying it "His floor" in Matthew 3:12.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Baptism by fire leads to God's love being perfected in us...(1 John 2:5)

Let's see if this passage speaks towards "baptism by fire" . . . Does it?

1 John 2:3-6 KJV
3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

No it does not.

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Lord wanted to purify my heart, so He gave me the baptism of fire. This is how I understand it.
"And He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver. Then they will present offerings to the LORD in righteousness." - Malachi 3:3

Reactions: marks and David H.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bad exegesis is the source of all bad doctrine
Um . . . there are many many people who have no idea about exegesis - bringing out what is there - and come up with all sorts of bad doctrine.

Exegesis is just a fancy word for describing the effort to find and show what God actually said.

Much love!

Reactions: Truman

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's see if this passage speaks towards "baptism by fire" . . . Does it?

1 John 2:3-6 KJV
3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

No it does not.

God's love is being perfected in us, You deny this process even exists in the believer?

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord wanted to purify my heart, so He gave me the baptism of fire. This is how I understand it.
"And He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver. Then they will present offerings to the LORD in righteousness." - Malachi 3:3

Amen!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are the wheat, wheat has to be broken and winnowed before it can be ground down to make bread.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That didn't take long.
Note the question mark...

Um . . . there are many many people who have no idea about exegesis - bringing out what is there - and come up with all sorts of bad doctrine.

Exegesis is just a fancy word for describing the effort to find and show what God actually said.

In this post modern era exegesis leads to "ever learning but never arriving at the truth".

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That didn't take long.

A Prime example of how poor exegesis leads to private interpretation here.... By Not seeing the question mark in my comment you assume the comment was an accusation thus negating the intent of the author of this comment and the truth of what is meant by the comment. You do this over and over again and then want me or anyone to trust in your exegesis?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Prime example of how poor exegesis leads to private interpretation here.... By Not seeing the question mark in my comment you assume the comment was an accusation thus negating the intent of the author of this comment and the truth of what is meant by the comment. You do this over and over again and then want me or anyone to trust in your exegesis?
Passive aggressive innuendo.

Much love!

Reactions: Truman

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fan is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clean out His threshing floor, and gather His wheat into the barn; but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

1. John baptizes in water based on repentance of the person
2. Jesus who is mightier, will baptize with the HS and Fire. (His is a far greater baptism that mine)
3. A winnowing fan is used to separate wheat from chaff This winnowing fan would be the HS
4. Those baptized with the spirit (the wheat, or believers) are placed in the barn (here representing heaven)
5. The chaff (non believer) he will baptize in the fire that will never be quenched (hell)

the fires you spoke of were not unquenchable fire. And there was no baptism involved.

Sadly people take these actions of immersion and try to make some religious application. When we should just take them literally for what they are

Interesting thread.

Going to have to disagree with you on this interpretation, EG. The reference in v.11 is to baptism (i.e. "immersion"), and the unsaved don't get baptized in anything from God. The fuller passage is as follows:

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9 And do not think you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

The promise of the Holy Spirit and fire was only to those whom the Lord would baptize. Most of the Pharisees and Sadducees got no more baptized in fire by Jesus than they did in water by John, because they were not willing to come to repentance. 1st Thessalonians 5:19 says, "Do not quench the Spirit," and it could just as easily be translated "do not extinguish the Spirit" because it is referring to the fire of the Holy Spirit the New Testament saints were being baptized in, such as at Pentecost.

The fire that will burn the spiritual chaff will be Hellfire. The fire that the saints of God are baptized in is a particularly intense baptism in the Holy Spirit, as Acts 2 indicates.

Reactions: David H.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting thread.

Going to have to disagree with you on this interpretation, EG. The reference in v.11 is to baptism (i.e. "immersion"), and the unsaved don't get baptized in anything from God. The fuller passage is as follows:

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? 8 Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. 9 And do not think you can say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. 10 The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire. 11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit and fire. 12 His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

The promise of the Holy Spirit and fire was only to those whom the Lord would baptize. Most of the Pharisees and Sadducees got no more baptized in fire by Jesus than they did in water by John, because they were not willing to come to repentance. 1st Thessalonians 5:19 says, "Do not quench the Spirit," and it could just as easily be translated "do not extinguish the Spirit" because it is referring to the fire of the Holy Spirit the New Testament saints were being baptized in, such as at Pentecost.

The fire that will burn the spiritual chaff will be Hellfire. The fire that the saints of God are baptized in is a particularly intense baptism in the Holy Spirit, as Acts 2 indicates.
I disagree

They will be immersed in the eternal fire that shall never be quenched. Its called hellfire,

No one has been baptized in fire yet. that happens in the end.

Reactions: marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They will be immersed in the eternal fire that shall never be quenched.

Keep in mind that you are reading this in. The text doesn't say "He will baptize the saints with the Holy Spirit and the sinners with fire." This would be changing the object of the action in mid sentence, and with no qualifiers, which creates a very unnatural reading.

I know you're attempting to use the surrounding context as your proof, but the internal context of the verse itself argues strongly against it.