Romans 11 and the real Replacement Theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then that being the case, what does it mean for you to be resurrected, if you are already a spirit? Are you not already immortal? Can a spirit die?

We are not going to be spirit beings, but rather will have bodies. Yes, it's true we will have a spiritual body that Christ gives at his return that will be like his resurrected body that is unlimited in scope and activity. The spiritual body is a body belonging to the spiritual realm that will be influenced by or proceeding from what is spiritual. How magnificent and unlimited in scope and activity that new body will be. We shall be LIKE HIM with a body that will be spirit eternal, vivacious, and remarkable. Just think how incredible our physical senses will be at that time, unaffected by a contaminated bloodstream, and completely laced with and based upon a life-quickening spirit.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus was not always saying something that would apply to you because many times he was speaking about what concerns Israel and not the Christian administration we are now in. We will always be in darkness and confusion regarding the truth of God’s Word if we do not understand the different administrations in the Bible. All hope for our redemption is in Jesus Christ, who was born into this world, died, and in the resurrection, he became the head of a new creation. The living resurrected Christ Jesus has become the one great subject that occupies the Word of God that the church belongs to. It's this Christ Jesus that is the key to the divine revelation in the Word of God for this our Grace administration. The contents of the New Testament must be understood in reference to Christ Jesus our Lord because the doctrine and nature of God for this our Grace administration are centered in His Christ.

gobbldey-gook..

I have heard the Word of God proclaimed since I was a babe.. He is written on my heart..

Stop putting your faith in your own understanding and come to HIM..

You are so puffed up with your own understanding.. believing that in 'knowing the scriptures' you will find eternal life... but they indeed testify of the Word made flesh, our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ!

You have only to humble yourself and come to Him to receive that life..

elevation.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I have to agree with Mel.

View attachment 38932
Mel Gibson is a Roman Catholic who rejects the Vatican Council of whatever year it was in the last few decades that changed certain things in Roman Catholic law, and is far worse than that Pope he criticizes. Mel Gibson is an absolutely fanatical Roman Catholic who rejects the authority of the Vatican who he says are in apostasy from the 'pure' form of the Roman Catholic faith that he is the great follower and teacher of.

So you agree with Mel Gibson, then.

My goodness, you ARE confused.​

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mel Gibson is a Roman Catholic who rejects the Vatican Council of whatever year it was in the last few decades that changed certain things in Roman Catholic law, and is far worse than that Pope he criticizes. Mel Gibson is an absolutely fanatical Roman Catholic who rejects the authority of the Vatican who he says are in apostasy from the 'pure' form of the Roman Catholic faith that he is the great follower and teacher of.

So you agree with Mel Gibson, then.

My goodness, you ARE confused.​
Most people, in fact just about everyone, but you would know I meant I agree with Mel's poster. Nothing more.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't know who Jesus is. You deny He has existed in the form of God from eternity as well as the Trinity. You point a finger way to easily. Four are pointing back at you.
I'm still trying to find out why this trinity thing is so important to you guys. At best, all I get back from you folks is because the Bible says so. But there must be some benefit to have God come down as a man. It can't be to redeem us because the Bible does not say that. In fact, it says a man had to do it. Also what would your group practice if you don't fellowship with Jesus Christ. Is it that you just am thankful that God died for you and you want to worship Him for that and then try to live a good life to please Him?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we just spent the last few posts confirming that you believe we are already spirits, living inside of physical bodies. Are you back tracking on that?
I have no idea why you would think I'm back tracking. Spirit of Christ (new nature) in body now. Spirit of Christ (new nature) in new body.

Freedm

Aug 3, 2023
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have no idea why you would think I'm back tracking. Spirit of Christ (new nature) in body now. Spirit of Christ (new nature) in new body.
I said "So that implies then that you believe that the spirit, not the body, is what you are", to which you replied "Yes, you nailed it". So at this point I'm thinking that you believe you are currently a spirit.

Then you said "We are not going to be spirit beings, but rather will have bodies.". So either you're contradicting yourself, or you think that at some point, we will be transformed from spiritual beings into physical beings. Which is it?

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said "So that implies then that you believe that the spirit, not the body, is what you are", to which you replied "Yes, you nailed it". So at this point I'm thinking that you believe you are currently a spirit.

Then you said "We are not going to be spirit beings, but rather will have bodies.". So either you're contracting yourself, or you think that at some point, we will be transformed from spiritual beings into physical beings. Which is it?
The problem is in your understanding. Look in the mirror. Do you now see a a spirit or a body? God gave you a new nature when you got born again which is the spirit of Christ. It's in your body now.

Freedm

Aug 3, 2023
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The problem is in your understanding. Look in the mirror. Do you now see a a spirit or a body? God gave you a new nature when you got born again which is the spirit of Christ. It's in your body now.
Obviously I see a body, but that doesn't mean that's what I am. And neither do you think that's what you are. At least not according to what you told me earlier. So let me ask you again, just to confirm. Do you believe you are a spirit, or a body?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously I see a body, but that doesn't mean that's what I am. And neither do you think that's what you are. At least not according to what you told me earlier. So let me ask you again, just to confirm. Do you believe you are a spirit, or a body?

Years ago I wrote it this way...

2 Corinthians 3:18
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.

1 John 3:2
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

I have come to believe I am a spirit being who has a soul and lives in a body. That the real me is my spiritual person and it’s in the spirit that I have been totally changed. This has changed a great deal for me now that I realize God deals with me on the basis of who I am in the spirit.

John 4:24
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Ephesians 4:24
And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come to believe I am a spirit being who has a soul and lives in a body. That the real me is my spiritual person and it’s in the spirit that I have been totally changed. This has changed a great deal for me now that I realize God deals with me on the basis of who I am in the spirit.
If you are going to draw a distinction between soul and spirit, then you should be careful. From the Genesis account of creation, God said in 1:20, (ESV) "Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens." The word creatures is translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh". Then In Genesis 2:7 God said, (ESV) "then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature" Again, the word creature is translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh". The KJV translates the word "nephesh" in Genesis 2:7 as "soul". Now if you search the OT scriptures you will find that in the KJV the would "soul" appears over 400 times and in every case that is a translation of the Hebrew word "nephesh". A soul is ascribed to both man and animals. It carries the basic meaning of "breathing creature". It is something that he is.

On the other hand, the word "spirit" whether applied to God or to man is from the Hebrew word "ruach". That word is not, so far as I have found, ever applied to an animal in the sense of spirit. The word also means breath in the sense of both man and beast and sometimes God. As the spirit of man, it is something the man has.

So that if you are going to maintain a distinction between "soul" and "spirit", the "soul" is what man is and "spirit" is what he has. Obviously man also has a body. So when maintaining the distinction, man is a soul; he has a body and a spirit. So then I would disagree with your statement that you are a spirit being that has a soul and lives in a body. Rather you are a soul who has a body and a spirit.

In the NT the appropriate Greek word meaning "soul" is "psuche" and that for "spirit" is "pneuma"

Now it turns out that when speaking of the human being, the words "soul" and "spirit" are, more often than not, used interchangeably. And for that reason, perhaps it is a bit of a mistake to draw the distinction except in very special circumstances.

Reactions: Freedm

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are going to draw a distinction between soul and spirit, then you should be careful. From the Genesis account of creation, God said in 1:20, (ESV) "Let the waters swarm with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the heavens." The word creatures is translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh". Then In Genesis 2:7 God said, (ESV) "then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature" Again, the word creature is translated from the Hebrew word "nephesh". The KJV translates the word "nephesh" in Genesis 2:7 as "soul". Now if you search the OT scriptures you will find that in the KJV the would "soul" appears over 400 times and in every case that is a translation of the Hebrew word "nephesh". A soul is ascribed to both man and animals. It carries the basic meaning of "breathing creature". It is something that he is.

On the other hand, the word "spirit" whether applied to God or to man is from the Hebrew word "ruach". That word is not, so far as I have found, ever applied to an animal in the sense of spirit. The word also means breath in the sense of both man and beast and sometimes God. As the spirit of man, it is something the man has.

So that if you are going to maintain a distinction between "soul" and "spirit", the "soul" is what man is and "spirit" is what he has. Obviously man also has a body. So when maintaining the distinction, man is a soul; he has a body and a spirit. So then I would disagree with your statement that you are a spirit being that has a soul and lives in a body. Rather you are a soul who has a body and a spirit.

In the NT the appropriate Greek word meaning "soul" is "psuche" and that for "spirit" is "pneuma"

Now it turns out that when speaking of the human being, the words "soul" and "spirit" are, more often than not, used interchangeably. And for that reason, perhaps it is a bit of a mistake to draw the distinction except in very special circumstances.
The only place where we differ is here...

We undergo a miraculous exchange at the center of our being once we have the spirit of Christ. Who we were in Adam is no longer there. We become a new person because we are now a child of God who is in Christ. The key event causing this exchange is a death, burial, and resurrection with Christ. This miraculous exchange is not figurative or symbolic, but literal and actual.

The spiritual part of every Christian has literally and actually been crucified, buried, and raised with Christ. The fact that this occurs spiritually and not physically doesn’t make it any less real. So what happens to the old self that was in Adam? The old self is entirely obliterated once the spirit of Christ enters the Christian.

Reactions: Freedm

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only place where we differ is here...

We undergo a miraculous exchange at the center of our being once we have the spirit of Christ. Who we were in Adam is no longer there. We become a new person because we are now a child of God who is in Christ. The key event causing this exchange is a death, burial, and resurrection with Christ. This miraculous exchange is not figurative or symbolic, but literal and actual.
You need to read Romans 7 very carefully, because I think Paul disagrees with you. The indwelling Holy Spirit, received upon being born again, i.e., being saved, does not change the believer in the way you suggest.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the other hand, the word "spirit" whether applied to God or to man is from the Hebrew word "ruach". That word is not, so far as I have found, ever applied to an animal in the sense of spirit.

Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Man has the "breath of life".

Genesis 7:14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
Genesis 7:15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.

Reactions: Zao is life

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Man has the "breath of life".

Genesis 7:14 They, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort.
Genesis 7:15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life.
There is no indication that the breath of life is the same as the spirit that God forms in man (Zech 12:1; Eccl 12:7).

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no indication that the breath of life is the same as the spirit that God forms in man (Zech 12:1; Eccl 12:7).

It's the Hebrew word [ru^ach]. Do you deny that man has that type of spirit?

Last edited:

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to read Romans 7 very carefully, because I think Paul disagrees with you. The indwelling Holy Spirit, received upon being born again, i.e., being saved, does not change the believer in the way you suggest.
And so in my mind the 4 verses below fit perfectly. Every single person I know has told me about Romans 7 when I tell them I do not believe Paul taught about a "sin nature" for the Christian. What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands.

Romans 6:2
How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 6:6
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

Galatians 5:16,18
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.