Sabbath Issues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

strobe

May 11, 2020
Gateshead
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Did you see those words in my post? No. The Old Testament was what it was.
Do you desire to sell your daughter as a sex slave? Would you recommend other Christians to sell their daughters as sex slave?
Do you think if we go to war we should kill all that breaths including the babies and keep the virgins for ourselves and kill all the non virgins....shoot the bellies of pregnant women. And have the captive virgins to rape for the rest of their lives. We could include them in our Polygamous marriages. These are all Mosaic Laws.

There is no good reason to look back at the morals, customs, or character of the Old Testament. Look to Christ...learn from Christ and the Apostles.
No, I didn't see that in your post, that's why I had to ask the question.
Can you think of any Jew who calls or has called at any time history for any of these things, even the most religiously observant?
The Old Testament is the story of the Adamic race and God's incredible plan to make the rest of mankind into His image through them. I don't suppose there was any other way of doing it and I know I couldn't come up with it if there was.
I certainly agree with you as far as us not being under the Mosaic Law now but I don't think most, if any of the things you mentioned were part of it any more than dropping atomic bombs on Japan is mandated under the US constitution. It happened under extreme circumstances and sometimes the end justifies the means.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath features in all four Gospels
only right at the beginning
of Jesus' three and halve years ministry, only to re-appear
right at the very Climax of his ministry. The Sabbath in between, features only once as prophetic warning in all of Jesus' teaching ministry in Matthew 24 for
our end-time Christian experience.

I believe these three indisputable facts are most significant, meaningful and Holy-Spirit-Inspired-Word-of-God.
For a flawless account of that Climax of the Gospel, READ THE GOSPEL IN THE GOSPELS,
'Climax of the Gospel', http://www.biblestudents.co.za/books/Die Hart van die Evangelie - Die Laaste Lyding en Triomf van Jesus Christus.pdf
Extra-curricular sources aren't valid for proving scripture, they are the opinions of prideful men.

Your 'indisputable facts' must first be facts before they can be without dispute. They are not. Just because there is no verse in the NT that states "be sure to continue to keep the 4th Commandment" doesn't support the erroneous position that it is irrelevant now. There is no verse that states that for many of the 10 Commandments and yet they are all embraced by modern Christendom except the Sabbath Commandment.

You can't claim your 3 facts as legitimate when we have Luke 4:16 which makes crystal clear that Jesus observed the Sabbath every single Sabbath day His entire life. It doesn't have to repeat it throughout the account of His ministry. And the Rock-solid FACT that Paul observed ALL the 10 Commandments further destroys your "indisputable facts". Acts 21:24

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I didn't see that in your post, that's why I had to ask the question.
Can you think of any Jew who calls or has called at any time history for any of these things, even the most religiously observant?
The Old Testament is the story of the Adamic race and God's incredible plan to make the rest of mankind into His image through them. I don't suppose there was any other way of doing it and I know I couldn't come up with it if there was.
I certainly agree with you as far as us not being under the Mosaic Law now but I don't think most, if any of the things you mentioned were part of it any more than dropping atomic bombs on Japan is mandated under the US constitution. It happened under extreme circumstances and sometimes the end justifies the means.

The Mosaic Law regulated the selling of a daughters into concubinage by their fathers

The Mosaic Law regulated polygamous marriages.

The Mosaic Law.....documented Yahweh's rules of war.

The Mosaic Law....required that a lady that was betrothed to be put to death if she was raped in the city and she did not scream.

Now most Christians are going to be appalled with these Laws. But there is no reason to defend them or justify them or explain them away. I am sure there is a lot going on that people are not aware of. But all that was....has no place in Christianity.....the character and spirit behind the morals....nor the character and spirit of the culture. All that had produced a society and a culture that betrayed Yahweh and worshipped other Gods and stood in front of Póntios Pilátos and yelled Crucify Him! Crucify Him! Let His blood be on us and our children....And that is what happened.

As far as the Jews.....the moral of the story.....what we can learn from the Jewish culture.....is like a kid that learns lessons from horrible parents.....we have learned what not to do and that religious laws do not work, no matter how many you make.
Christianity teaches a discipline of the heart and the mind. Christianity is not a ministry of death of letters engraved on stone.

strobe

May 11, 2020
Gateshead
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Mosaic Law regulated the selling of a daughters into concubinage by their fathers

The Mosaic Law regulated polygamous marriages.

The Mosaic Law.....documented Yahweh's rules of war.

The Mosaic Law....required that a lady that was betrothed to be put to death if she was raped in the city and she did not scream.

Now most Christians are going to be appalled with these Laws. But there is no reason to defend them or justify them or explain them away. I am sure there is a lot going on that people are not aware of. But all that was....has no place in Christianity.....the character and spirit behind the morals....nor the character and spirit of the culture. All that had produced a society and a culture that betrayed Yahweh and worshipped other Gods and stood in front of Póntios Pilátos and yelled Crucify Him! Crucify Him! Let His blood be on us and our children....And that is what happened.

As far as the Jews.....the moral of the story.....what we can learn from the Jewish culture.....is like a kid that learns lessons from horrible parents.....we have learned what not to do and that religious laws do not work, no matter how many you make.
Christianity teaches a discipline of the heart and the mind. Christianity is not a ministry of death of letters engraved on stone.
Christ's blood is on them and their children as it is on mine and yours and it covers the whole world and I have respect and give thanks to the Jews for that because without them there would be no Christianity. I'm 100% certain none of them want a return to the Mosaic Law either, after all they are the ones who had to endure it, not me or you. And I thank God for that because whatever suffering and hardship we must endure in this life will be repaid in infinity many times over.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ's blood is on them and their children as it is on mine and yours and it covers the whole world and I have respect and give thanks to the Jews for that because without them there would be no Christianity. I'm 100% certain none of them want a return to the Mosaic Law either, after all they are the ones who had to endure it, not me or you. And I thank God for that because whatever suffering and hardship we must endure in this life will be repaid in infinity many times over.
Don't get me wrong....I love the Jews....I was raised with the Jews when I lived in University City and defended Israel when I was working for the Navy.

But the blood that was upon them was a curse....look at the history of Jews....they called it upon themselves and received the curse in full measure.

The Jews today? The Jews today are still in the Old Covenant and that is the way they want it. They believe that the Old Covenant is the only Covenant. They believe they have always been under the Mosaic Law and believe they are still required to obey the 613 Mosaic Laws today....Kind of tongue in cheek though. Modern observation of the Mosaic Law by the Jews is kind of complicated. At best, other than Christ, no human has been able to be true to the Mosaic Laws.

Then another thing....like the Christians they have sects/denominations and they observe the Mosaic Law differently and they have differing beliefs regarding the messianic age to come. And like Christians, Modern Jews have reinterpreted what the Bible means and a lot of that reinterpreting was done so they had a chance of observing the Law. One of tough choices that most Jewish sects had to make was to acknowledge that civil laws override Mosaic Laws that require execution of individuals for various offenses. In other words in the original Mosaic Laws it was a sin not to kill people for various offenses.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Can you tell me why Jesus is called "Lord of the sabbath"?
upload_2022-1-4_23-6-41.png

Acts 17:31 Because He hath appointed a day, in the which He WILL judge the world in righteousness by that Man whom He hath ordained; whereof He hath given assurance unto all men, in that He hath raised Him from the dead.

It is happening right before our own eyes <why Jesus is called "Lord of the sabbath">! God IS judging the world in His Righteousness, the Righteousness of "That Man" the Lord of the Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD.

Last edited:

JesusFan1

Jun 19, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Extra-curricular sources aren't valid for proving scripture, they are the opinions of prideful men.

Your 'indisputable facts' must first be facts before they can be without dispute. They are not. Just because there is no verse in the NT that states "be sure to continue to keep the 4th Commandment" doesn't support the erroneous position that it is irrelevant now. There is no verse that states that for many of the 10 Commandments and yet they are all embraced by modern Christendom except the Sabbath Commandment.

You can't claim your 3 facts as legitimate when we have Luke 4:16 which makes crystal clear that Jesus observed the Sabbath every single Sabbath day His entire life. It doesn't have to repeat it throughout the account of His ministry. And the Rock-solid FACT that Paul observed ALL the 10 Commandments further destroys your "indisputable facts". Acts 21:24
Jesus was born under the Law, and he was ONLY one ever to keep the Sabbath as God intended, but under the new Covenant, we are no longer under jewish sabbath obligation!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I still do not understand what the Sabbath has to do with marriage.....for Christians.
The Sabbath was not incumbent on Christians but the marriage arrangement was always important to God.
Circumcision was incumbent on Jewish males but the Israelites were not the only ones who practiced it.
Neither circumcision nor Sabbath observance was mandated for Christians.

There is no command, "thou shalt marry" in God's Law....and if you don't the death penalty will apply.....way different to the Sabbath.

Can you tell me why Jesus is called "Lord of the sabbath"? (Matthew 12:8)

You say <the marriage arrangement was always important to God> -- <allways> - forever to stand fast, never to be broken.
Right?
Right!
And <always> according to you will also mean, from the beginning - from the creation, MADE, established, instituted, made LAW?
Right?
Right!
Now the word in Mark 2:27 for "made" - "the Sabbath was made", 'egeneto'<'ginomai' has the meanings of "create", "establish", "constitute", and "solemnise", even "keep" and "celebrate".
And similarly the word in Acts 17:31 for "appointed" - 'hestehsen'<'histehmi' - has the meanings of "stand fast", "establish", "institute", "be permanent", "valued", "validated" (Hebrews 4:9 "apoleipetai"), "immovable", "unimpaired", "dignified".
Reading the whole of Acts 17 the creation of God and the beginnings of everything are clear and unmistakable.
"God created them man and wife" -- that constituted 'marriage', <always>. And thus the day in which God would raise Christ up from the dead, similarly had been established and instituted and constituted and confirmed "from the beginning". "Christ the Beginning of the creation of God".

WHICH ONLY "DAY" EVER HAS THUS BEEN GIVEN "DIGNITY", HAS THUS BEEN "HONOURED", HAS THUS BEEN "UNIMPAIRED" AND "KEPT HIGH" : BY GOD : Genesis 2:2-3 Mark 2:27,28 Isaiah 58:13 compare 57:15!

WHERE do we see Lord and Sabbath exalted as in the Resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead in Ephesian 1:19,20 Matthew 28:1-4 Hebrews 4:4-9, "GOD THUS CONCERNING THE SEVENTH DAY SPEAKING" BY THE WORD MADE FLESH FROM GLORY TO GLORY FOREVERMORE!?

But Christianity "BY OBSERVATION SUPERSTITIOUSLY WORSHIP" their no-god idol the 'Day of the lord sun'! Galatians 4:9,10? How miserable can it get?

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I do not talk in circles.
It is better to be a straight shooter.
The Sabbath....worshiping God on the Saturday is a Jewish holy day not a Christian holy day.
As a Christian we recognize that the Sabbath was an Old Testament thing and a commandment for Israel and the Jews.
Not so for Christians.
Our holy day is the day that Christ resurrected....Sunday.

To cut to the chase....There is nothing lacking in Christ's teachings....nothing lacking in the teachings of the Apostles....that a Christian would need to look back in the Old Testament teachings or Mosaic Laws for religious guidance or morals. In all ways the teachings and commandments of Christ are vastly superior to anything in the Old Testament....that is morals or spirit or character.
Absolutely nothing! All a Christian needs is in the New Covenant.

Grailhunter: Vain 'Christian' calling. Jesus never brought a cup to his lips in That Night.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grailhunter: Vain 'Christian' calling. Jesus never brought a cup to his lips in That Night.

Cup to his lips? Not sure what you are talking about in That night....the Last Supper? .....
Did he sit down or rub his nose or brush lint from his clothes....did he "go to the rest room" LOL We do not have a play by play of what he did...that night or any night. It was a supper I am going with he ate and drank.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was born under the Law, and he was ONLY one ever to keep the Sabbath as God intended, but under the new Covenant, we are no longer under jewish sabbath obligation!
Any scripture to make that case?

Always ready to learn something new.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not sure what the big purple declaration was meant to suggest but how about we look At Hebrews 4 in context and see what the whole passage has to say....?

Acts 17:31 Because He hath appointed a day, in the which He WILL judge the world in righteousness by that Man whom He hath ordained; whereof He hath given assurance unto all men, in that He hath raised Him from the dead.

It is happening right before our own eyes <why Jesus is called "Lord of the sabbath">! God IS judging the world in His Righteousness, the Righteousness of "That Man" the Lord of the Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD.

Hebrews 4:1-10....
4 Therefore, since a promise of entering into his rest remains, let us be on guard for fear someone among you seems to fall short of it. 2 For we have also had the good news declared to us, just as they had; but the word that they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3 For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world. 4 For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works,” 5 and here again he says: “They will not enter into my rest.”

6 Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience, 7 he again marks off a certain day by saying long afterward in David’s psalm, “Today”; just as it has been said above, “Today if you listen to his voice, do not harden your hearts.” 8 For if Joshua had led them into a place of rest, God would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 So there remains a sabbath-rest for the people of God. 10 For the man who has entered into God’s rest has also rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.

Now, since this was a follow on from the final verses of chapter 3, we read...
“For who heard and yet provoked him to bitter anger? Was it not, in fact, all those who went out of Egypt under Moses? 17 Moreover, with whom did God become disgusted for 40 years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose dead bodies fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did he swear that they would not enter into his rest? Was it not to those who acted disobediently? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of lack of faith.”

So what did God mean by “entering into his rest”? This was not the Sabbath rest that the people of Israel were commanded to observe but something that was figurative of a much larger meaning.

In the Genesis account, there is a declaration at the end of each creative “day”.....the sixth day even ended as “very good” in God’s estimations of his work thus far.....but on the seventh day God “rested”, not that he was tired but that his creative work was complete at the end of the sixth “day”.
Nowhere does the account say that these creative “days” were 24 hour periods....and science confirms that the earth and its extinct creatures are way older than a mere 6,000 years. The Hebrew word for “day” is like our own, it can mean more than just a 24 hour period. If I speak of my grandfather’s “day”, I am not talking about a 24 hour period, so with the Hebrew “yohm”.....it doesn’t just mean a 24 hour period, but can be a period of undetermined length. The YEC’s have got it all wrong....embarrassingly so.

So the seventh day began a period where God had rested from his creative works but as Jesus said, ‘he and his Father have kept working’ and will continue to work until his purpose in connection with mankind on this beautiful planet, is brought to a completion.

The seventh day was not a 24 hour period that has passed, but it is still in progress. “Entering into God’s rest” was then living in a time that God had allotted for all that he had put in place to play out as he intended. It would be a time for free will beings to make their choices and reap what they had sown, learning the lessons of where disobedience would take them...and also learning about the blessings of obedience, which unfortunately were not as numerous as the penalties for disobedience among his people, (as Hebrews 4 highlights.)

Disobedient ones will never benefit from the lessons of the seventh day.....those will not enter into God’s rest...only the obedient ones will.

Hebrews 4:9-10 in context now make sense....
“So there remains a sabbath-rest for the people of God. 10 For the man who has entered into God’s rest has also rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.”

Right from the beginning, Jehovah indicated his solution to the rebellion in Eden. (Genesis 3:15) This first prophesy was not really understood until Messiah came and explained in more detail the way his ransom sacrifice would would involve him suffering a “heel” wound, (from which he recovered,) but he would finally deal the devil a fatal “head” wound...in the future.
So Jesus has featured all the way through God’s “rest” day.

The Weekly Sabbath was a day of rest for God’s people and they were forbidden to do any work, but only to concentrate on spiritual pursuits. This guaranteed that at least one day in the week, they would remember their God and devote a day to reminding themselves of his provisions. It was a way to keep thankful.....but the wider Sabbath...the important one was the rest day that God has almost now brought to a completion. Only when Christ has judged the world and cleansed it of all who are disobedient, will he bring in the rule of the final 1,000 years of God’s rest day, under the rule of his kingdom. Only when everything is again back to the way God wants his earth to be, will the declaration be made at the conclusion of the seventh day......everything will again be “very good”.

Jesus is “Lord of the Sabbath” because he has been appointed by his God and Father to guide and direct matters here on this earth during that time, and to make the necessary sacrifice to redeem those whom the devil has taken off course. What an incredible act of love on his part.....and on the part of his Father in giving him such trust and responsibility.

Free willed beings can use use this quality to either obey God as Jesus always did, or to disobey him as Satan chose to......we are all making our choices too....so may we all choose well as Jesus is about to return as judge and to cleanse this world of all who oppose the incoming Kingdom of God. (1 Thessalonians 1:6-10)

Last edited:
Reactions: strobe

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath....worshiping God on the Saturday is a Jewish holy day not a Christian holy day.
Christian means following the way of Christ. Christ observed the Saturday Sabbath His entire life. We are to walk as He walked and live as He lived.
Grailhunter said:
As a Christian we recognize that the Sabbath was an Old Testament thing and a commandment for Israel and the Jews.
Not so for Christians.
Our holy day is the day that Christ resurrected....Sunday.
Let's see, zero Biblical substantiation for worshiping Christ on Sunday; an excessive amount of scripture, all throughout the Bible, for worshiping on Saturday. Can you, in your infinite Biblical wisdom, present any scripture at all that tells Christians to worship on Sunday or are you strong enough to admit that it is a man-made tradition?
Grailhunter said:
In all ways the teachings and commandments of Christ are vastly superior to anything in the Old Testament....that is morals or spirit or character.
Again, your knowledge of scripture is embarrassing (I only say that because you present yourself as a Biblical Expert who schools everyone). Take a seat, my boy, and learn a thing or two.

Jesus is responsible for all teaching in the Bible, OT & NT. He wrote the 10 Commandments and reiterated more generally what they were in the NT when He presented the two great commands. They are two commands that encompass the original 10. It is beyond asinine to declare that Jesus' teachings were superior to those of the OT.

ETA: To be clear, ALL of the 10 Commandments are presented in the NT.
Grailhunter said:
All a Christian needs is in the New Covenant.
And all of modern Christendom mistakenly agrees with you. Almost zero OT is taught in church and the NT, which is only 1/5th (20%) of the Bible, is only taught in cherry-picked sermons, not in its entirety.

So, you're an expert teacher of all that's wrong and false in Christianity. Congrats.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Genesis account, there is a declaration at the end of each creative “day”.....the sixth day even ended as “very good” in God’s estimations of his work thus far.....but on the seventh day God “rested”, not that he was tired but that his creative work was complete at the end of the sixth “day”.
Nowhere does the account say that these creative “days” were 24 hour periods....and science confirms that the earth and its extinct creatures are way older than a mere 6,000 years. The Hebrew word for “day” is like our own, it can mean more than just a 24 hour period. If I speak of my grandfather’s “day”, I am not talking about a 24 hour period, so with the Hebrew “yohm”.....it doesn’t just mean a 24 hour period, but can be a period of undetermined length. The YEC’s have got it all wrong....embarrassingly so.
Absolute BOGUS.

The days of creation contain the verse "and the evening and the morning was the [X] day" to make certain False Doctrine like that of modern science horse waste would hold no water at all. For those who look at scripture honestly, this claim is beyond ridiculous.

Science confirms the earth and its creatures are much older than 6K years? FAIL
They've been finding dinosaur bones with soft, fully intact tissue inside the bones for decades now. Absolutely impossible, even by science standards, that they are as old as the modern accepted claims. The Grand Canyon has been proven, by Christian Scientists and Geologists, to be much younger than the scientifically accepted claims. There are layers of animals from all eras in the same layer. That's impossible if they're millions of years separated by time. More nonsense completely exposed by those who took the time to look at things reasonably and objectively.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christian means following the way of Christ. Christ observed the Saturday Sabbath His entire life. We are to walk as He walked and live as He lived.

No surprise, he was a Jew living in the Old Covenant.

Let's see, zero Biblical substantiation for worshiping Christ on Sunday; an excessive amount of scripture, all throughout the Bible, for worshiping on Saturday. Can you, in your infinite Biblical wisdom, present any scripture at all that tells Christians to worship on Sunday or are you strong enough to admit that it is a man-made tradition?

We are not Jewish.
You can take it from there. Maybe you want to build a Jewish Temple? Or just convert to Judaism.

Again, your knowledge of scripture is embarrassing (I only say that because you present yourself as a Biblical Expert who schools everyone) Take a seat, my boy and learn a thing or two.

You so funny!

Jesus is responsible for all teaching in the Bible, OT & NT. He wrote the 10 Commandments and reiterated more generally what they were in the NT when He presented the two great commands. They are two commands that encompass the original 10. It is beyond asinine to declare that Jesus' teachings were superior to those of the OT.

No he did not...and God did not write them either....and you do not know what the Ten Commandments are. LOL

And all of modern Christendom mistakenly agree with you. Almost zero OT is taught in church and the NT, which is only 1/5th (80%) of the Bible, is only taught in cherry-picked sermons, not in its entirety.
So, you're an expert teacher of all that's wrong and false in Christianity. Congrats.

Why not convert to Judaism if you are that concerned about it.
Let me see is the sermon and Sunday School going to be about the information that leads to Salvation and Heaven or have a sermon that leads to a dead end.

There is so much that you have no understanding of and to thick to learn.

So you can take it elsewhere....

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GEN2REV said:
Jesus is responsible for all teaching in the Bible, OT & NT. He wrote the 10 Commandments...
No he did not...and God did not write them either....and you do not know what the Ten Commandments are. LOL
I guess you know some secret we all don't? 2 Peter 1:20

So, ... what do you make of this then:

"And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God."
Exodus 31:18

Grailhunter said:
I've been in this thread from the drop. I'm just fine.

You're welcome to stay and hone your iron.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you know some secret we all don't? 2 Peter 1:20

So, ... what do you make of this then:

"And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God."

Still nope. Ok, since you are not going to pay me for taking you to school I need to know how old you are so I know how much patience to afford you.

Did not mean leave the thread.

strobe

May 11, 2020
Gateshead
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what the big purple declaration was meant to suggest but how about we look At Hebrews 4 in context and see what the whole passage has to say....?

Hebrews 4:1-10....
4 Therefore, since a promise of entering into his rest remains, let us be on guard for fear someone among you seems to fall short of it. 2 For we have also had the good news declared to us, just as they had; but the word that they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened. 3 For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world. 4 For in one place he has said of the seventh day as follows: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works,” 5 and here again he says: “They will not enter into my rest.”

6 Therefore, since it remains for some to enter into it, and those to whom the good news was first declared did not enter in because of disobedience, 7 he again marks off a certain day by saying long afterward in David’s psalm, “Today”; just as it has been said above, “Today if you listen to his voice, do not harden your hearts.” 8 For if Joshua had led them into a place of rest, God would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 So there remains a sabbath-rest for the people of God. 10 For the man who has entered into God’s rest has also rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.

Now, since this was a follow on from the final verses of chapter 3, we read...
“For who heard and yet provoked him to bitter anger? Was it not, in fact, all those who went out of Egypt under Moses? 17 Moreover, with whom did God become disgusted for 40 years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose dead bodies fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did he swear that they would not enter into his rest? Was it not to those who acted disobediently? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of lack of faith.”

So what did God mean by “entering into his rest”? This was not the Sabbath rest that the people of Israel were commanded to observe but something that was figurative of a much larger meaning.

So the seventh day began a period where God had rested from his creative works but as Jesus said, ‘he and his Father have kept working’ and will continue to work until his purpose in connection with mankind on this beautiful planet, is brought to a completion.

The seventh day was not a 24 hour period that has passed, but it is still in progress. “Entering into God’s rest” was then living in a time that God had allotted for all that he had put in place to play out as he intended. It would be a time for free will beings to make their choices and reap what they had sown, learning the lessons of where disobedience would take them...and also learning about the blessings of obedience, which unfortunately were not as numerous as the penalties for disobedience among his people, (as Hebrews 4 highlights.)

Disobedient ones will never benefit from the lessons of the seventh day.....those will not enter into God’s rest...only the obedient ones will.

Hebrews 4:9-10 in context now make sense....
“So there remains a sabbath-rest for the people of God. 10 For the man who has entered into God’s rest has also rested from his own works, just as God did from his own.”

Right from the beginning, Jehovah indicated his solution to the rebellion in Eden. (Genesis 3:15) This first prophesy was not really understood until Messiah came and explained in more detail the way his ransom sacrifice would would involve him suffering a “heel” wound, (from which he recovered,) but he would finally deal the devil a fatal “head” wound...in the future.
So Jesus has featured all the way through God’s “rest” day.

The Weekly Sabbath was a day of rest for God’s people and they were forbidden to do any work, but only to concentrate on spiritual pursuits. This guaranteed that at least one day in the week, they would remember their God and devote a day to reminding themselves of his provisions. It was a way to keep thankful.....but the wider Sabbath...the important one was the rest day that God has almost now brought to a completion. Only when Christ has judged the world and cleansed it of all who are disobedient, will he bring in the rule of the final 1,000 years of God’s rest day, under the rule of his kingdom. Only when everything is again back to the way God wants his earth to be will, the declaration be made at the conclusion of the seventh day......everything will again be “very good”.

Jesus is “Lord of the Sabbath” because he has been appointed by his God and Father to guide and direct matters here on this earth during that time, and to make the necessary sacrifice to redeem those whom the devil has taken off course. What an incredible act of love on his part.....and on the part of his Father in giving him such trust and responsibility.

Free willed beings can use use this quality to either obey God as Jesus always did, or to disobey him as Satan chose to......we are all making our choices too....so may we all choose well as Jesus is about to return as judge and to cleanse this world of all who oppose the incoming Kingdom of God. (1 Thessalonians 1:6-10)
Unbelievable!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Absolute BOGUS.
Is it? Let's see....

The days of creation contain the verse "and the evening and the morning was the [X] day" to make certain False Doctrine like that of modern science horse waste would hold no water at all. For those who look at scripture honestly, this claim is beyond ridiculous.
Read it again and ask yourself how long it is between "evening and morning".....

The Jewish day began at sundown, so to be a 24 hour day it would have to be "evening to evening".
Figuratively speaking "evening" is the close of one day, and "morning" is the beginning of another......isn't it?
What does "the dawn of a new era" signify?

Science confirms the earth and its creatures are much older than 6K years? FAIL
Yes, science confirms that the earth and many of its extinct creatures are way more than 6 thousand years old.
The only ones who fight science on this are those who have to believe in the YEC viewpoint which itself does not hold water.

Were there dinosaurs on the ark? If so when and why did they go extinct? Do you think humans had to go around trying to avoid being trodden on by a passing brachiosaurus...or triceratops? Do you doubt that these creatures existed?

How-many-dinosaurs-were-GeologyPage.jpg

They've been finding dinosaur bones with soft, fully intact tissue inside the bones for decades now. Absolutely impossible, even by science standards, that they are as old as the modern accepted claims.
The extinction of the dinosaurs before man's appearance is confirmed by the fact that there are no dinosaurs in ancient cave art. Surely if these monsters had existed at the same time as man, legends would have been passed down through time. Mammoths are about the only ancient species that are no longer with us. There are crocs too of course.

The Grand Canyon has been proven, by Christian Scientists and Geologists, to be much younger than the scientifically accepted claims. There are layers of animals from all eras in the same layer. That's impossible if they're millions of years separated by time.
I believe that you are now talking about the flood era where the billions of tons of water that fell from the heavens as well as the ground springs beneath the earth, and did enormous damage to the landscape as well as placing layers of animals in places where they were not known to inhabit. This did not take billions of years....but the universe with its billions of galaxies, along with the earth can quite possibly be billions of years old if the creative "days" were thousands, if not billions of years for each period.
Why do they have to be 24 hour periods?

That is why people who know science are often atheists because YEC's like yourself insist that they must be wrong on account of what the Bible says.....the Bible is not wrong, but those who interpret it incorrectly may well be.

Scientific methods of measuring time may not be that accurate, but the YEC position is tenuous. No way to prove that its is true. Yet both science and the Bible can be compatible if you do your homework. There is a balanced position in the middle that allows for an ancient creation that science supports.

More nonsense completely exposed by those who took the time to look at things reasonably and objectively.
Like you did....right?
palm
Egg on face duly noted....perhaps a little more time to examine the facts might fill in the blanks for you...?
I appreciate your need to back up the Bible, but I also believe that your faith is misplaced.
God is a Creator...not a magician.

Last edited: