Saint Patrick, pray for us!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do believe that some people do not understand the difference between praying to God and discussing or debating an issue.

Of course, each member believes he right and that everyone standing opposed to him is wrong! [consider Prov 21:2]
I don’t think that Amadeus, I stood corrected and accepted blame if you read my post above apologizing to Heart2Soul, for carrying on a discussion when I shouldn’t have when I’m wrong I’m wrong and accept blame for my actions.

And I was and am praying for our brother theefaith.

God bless,

JohnPaul

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think that Amadeus, I stood corrected and accepted blame if you read my post above apologizing to Heart2Soul, for carrying on a discussion when I shouldn’t have when I’m wrong I’m wrong and accept blame for my actions.

And I was and am praying for our brother theefaith.

God bless,

JohnPaul
Carry on my friend. We do not have to agree with everyone, but who should not be treated fairness and love? I grew up as a devout Catholic, so I do understand what it is like at least in a measure in that place.

I encountered God for the first time in my memory as a boy of 6 years old when they baptized me. I served and searched for God during all of those years until I graduated from high school. He was there because God is always there. What do we see or feel or know of God... especially perhaps when we have never read a Bible? I never met a Catholic [priests excepted] to my knowledge, who had read the Bible when I was a practicing Catholic. It was not forbidden, but it was definitely discouraged.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why ask a dead person to pray for you? Go straight to the source and pray to the living God.

If you think he is dead, you have no confidence in Jesus' promises.

Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,

and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you think he is dead, you have no confidence in Jesus' promises.

Jesus told her, "I am the resurrection and the life; whoever believes in me, even if he dies, will live,

and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
You have me curious Phillip. How is it you can say Christ is risen yet display a dead Christ in your moniker?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You have me curious Phillip. How is it you can say Christ is risen yet display a dead Christ in your moniker?

Hello qt,

Do you take issue with displaying Christ's great act of love for us?

For Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom,

but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

but to those who are called, Jews and Greeks alike, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

The mystery of our Faith: "we proclaim Your death, O Lord, and profess Your ressurection, until You come again"

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello qt,

Do you take issue with displaying Christ's great act of love for us?

For Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom,

but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles,

but to those who are called, Jews and Greeks alike, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

The mystery of our Faith: "we proclaim Your death, O Lord, and profess Your ressurection, until You come again"

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Like I said Phillip, I find it curious that your proclamation of Christ is risen! Alleluia! while your moniker is the evidence of a murdered man.....the man we murdered.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Like I said Phillip, I find it curious that your proclamation of Christ is risen! Alleluia! while your moniker is the evidence of a murdered man.....the man we murdered.

Hey qt,
What do you find curious about it?

That I proudly show the love of Christ for the world, and His great victory over sin and death, or that I affirm that He is risen?

and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain; you are still in your sins.

Then those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are the most pitiable people of all.

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hey qt,
What do you find curious about it?

That I proudly show the love of Christ for the world, and His great victory over sin and death, or that I affirm that He is risen?

and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain; you are still in your sins.

Then those who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

If for this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are the most pitiable people of all.

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
I find it a cause for shame that I should be proud to display the body of the Prince of life which I contributed in murdering.
His resurrection however tells me that in spite of my miserable behaviour God has not held it against me and even invites me into that life.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The apostle to the Gentiles, after founding Syrian Christianity, was called to plant the gospel among the Galatians, in the heart of the large Celtic branch of the human family. The Celts of Galatia were of the same family, and spoke the same language as the Irish, Scotch, British, Welsh, and French.13 Thus the Holy Spirit set another stream flowing rapidly which was to water the lands of the West. As India and China were to be bound to the West by Syrian Christianity, so Ireland and the western rim of Europe were to touch the East through Celtic Christianity. By one of those strange phenomena of history — may it not well be called providential? — the Galatians, a numerous branch of the Gauls from France, had pushed their way into Asia Minor. With all the fiery nature of the Celtic race, they had invaded and subdued Italy and sacked Rome in the fourth century before Christ.14 Not satisfied with this success, they broke into Asia Minor, and, settling there, became the founders of the province of Galatia. Paul prepared to pass them by as he journeyed west, but the Holy Spirit disposed otherwise. A severe affliction compelled him to tarry in their midst. He won the love and devotion of these people, and soon there was raised up what he pleased to call “the churches of Galatia.”(Galatians 1:2.) Patrick entered Ireland in the latter half of the fourth century. He found a well-organized and healthy Celtic Christianity there.15 Evidence goes to show that Celtic Ireland learned the gospel from the believers in Galatia. One writer, who has made special research in Oriental history, says, “The Christianity which first reached France and England (i.e., Gaul and Britain) was of the school of the apostle John, who ruled the churches in Asia Minor, and therefore of a Greek, not Latin, type.
There is abundant evidence of intercommunication between Ireland, France, and Galatia in the three hundred years between Paul and Patrick.17 That the Celts in France were evangelized by the Celts in Asia Minor is shown by a well-known event in the history of the French church.18 About seventy years after the death of the apostle John, the churches in southern France suffered a terrible persecution at the hands of the pagans. The distressed believers in 177 sent a pathetic account of their afflictions, not to Italy or to Africa, but to their brethren in Asia Minor. “In order to understand the situation, political and ecclesiastical, in southern France, we must bear in mind that the Gauls of the West and the Galatae of the East were of the same stock, and that each branch, though several nations intervened, retained unimpaired its racial characteristics.19 Thus Ireland received the gospel from Asia Minor, by way of the sea and by way of the Celtic believers in southern France; and they, in turn, obtained the light from the Galatians to whom Paul had ministered. The facts given by Douglas Hyde show how powerful and how widely spread over Europe was the Celtic race centuries before Christ. Alexander the Great would not embark upon his campaigns into Asia without having first assured himself of the friendship of the Celts.20 Within the generation following the apostles, if not even before the death of John, the New Testament had been translated into that most beautiful of all Latin texts, the Italic version, often called Itala. For centuries scholars of the Celtic church quoted from the Itala.

Fortunately, two of Patrick’s writings, his Confession and the Letter against Coroticus, a near-by British king, survive and may be found readily. In the Letter Patrick tells how he surrendered his high privileges to become a slave for Christ. Of his faith and his dedication to God, he says: I was a free man according to the flesh. I was born of a father who was a decurion. For I sold my nobility for the good of others, and I do not blush or grieve about it. Finally, I am a servant in Christ delivered to a foreign nation on account of the unspeakable glory of an everlasting life which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Of the two writings, namely, the Confession, and the Letter, Sir William Betham writes: In them will be found no arrogant presumption, no spiritual pride, no pretension to superior sanctity, no maledictions of magi, or rivers, because his followers were drowned in them, no veneration for, or adoration of, relics, no consecrated staffs, or donations of his teeth for relics, which occur so frequently in the lives and also in the collections of Tirechan, referring to Palladius, not to Patrick.”7 At the age of sixteen, Patrick was carried captive to Ireland by freebooters who evidently had sailed up the Clyde River or landed on the near-by coast. Of this he writes in this Confession:
I, Patrick, a sinner, the rudest and least of all the faithful, and most contemptible to great numbers, had Calpurnius for my father, a deacon, son of the late Potitus, the presbyter, who dwelt in the village of Banavan, Tiberniae, for he had a small farm at hand with the place where I was captured. I was then almost sixteen years of age. I did not know the true God; and was taken to Ireland in captivity with many thousand men in accordance with our deserts, because we walked at a distance from God and did not observe His commandments.” It can be noticed in this statement that the grandfather of Patrick was a presbyter, which indicated that he held an office in the church equal to that of bishop in the papal meaning of the term. This is one of the many proofs that celibacy was not an obligation among the early British clergy. Patrick’s father was a deacon in the church, a town counselor, a farmer, and a husband. To the glory of God, it came to pass that, during his seven years of slavery in Ireland, Patrick acquired the Irish form of the Celtic language. This was of great value, because the fierce fighting disposition of the pagan Irish, at that time was a barrier to the Romans’ or Britons’ attempting missionary work across the channel on a large scale. However, many of those previously carried off into captivity must have been Christians who engaged themselves so earnestly in converting their captors that considerable Christianity was found in Ireland when, after his escape, Patrick dared to return to evangelize the island.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find it a cause for shame that I should be proud to display the body of the Prince of life which I contributed in murdering.
His resurrection however tells me that in spite of my miserable behaviour God has not held it against me and even invites me into that life.

To feel shame and remorse for one's own contribution to the necessity of Christ's suffering and death is a sign of a humble and contrite heart.

But Christ has turned our sorrow to joy as in dying He destroyed our death and in rising He has restored our life..

But may I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To feel shame and remorse for one's own contribution to the necessity of Christ's suffering and death is a sign of a humble and contrite heart.

But Christ has turned our sorrow to joy as in dying He destroyed our death and in rising He has restored our life..

But may I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Imagine a mother charging into the flames of a burning house to save her baby which she does but in the process dies of her burns. When the child becomes of age should it then make images of a fried body, hang it around its neck or place it in conspicuous places infinitum?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Imagine a mother charging into the flames of a burning house to save her baby which she does but in the process dies of her burns. When the child becomes of age should it then make images of a fried body, hang it around its neck or place it in conspicuous places infinitum?

If that action saved the world, would any other image, show such glorious love?

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If that action saved the world, would any other image, show such glorious love?

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!
Images are tricky; they generate a life of their own.....a life of distraction.
A changed life bears a living witness.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Totally agreed, it is no different than praying to our dead relatives, no difference. Why do so many NOT simply do what the Word tells us? PRAY TO THE ONLY MEDIATOR, Jesus Christ as, NOBODY will get to the Father but through Jesus.
I do not understand this silliness of praying to dead people. o_O
Yes, It is an insult to the sufferings of Jesus Christ, both before and on the cross. To insinuate that there is anything he can not empathise with. That we might seek out the aid of a dead saint who's work is finished under the sun. In order to petition God on our behalf, because we lack faith in our Lord as a willing mediator.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, It is an insult to the sufferings of Jesus Christ, both before and on the cross. To insinuate that there is anything he can not empathise with. That we might seek out the aid of a dead saint who's work is finished under the sun. In order to petition God on our behalf, because we lack faith in our Lord as a willing Mediator.
Amen! And an Insult (asking the dead for "all the grace I can get")
to The Spirit of GRACE:

Heb_10:29 "Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he
be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot The SON Of God,
and hath counted The BLOOD of the covenant, wherewith he was
sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto
The Spirit Of GRACE
?"​

And Also To The Blessed Resurrected Saviour (+ Only Mediator
Whose Work IS FINISHED On The CROSS), Who Told
Paul:

2Co_12:9 "And He [The LORD v8] Said unto me, My GRACE Is
Sufficient
For thee: for My Strength Is Made Perfect in weakness.
Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that The
Power Of Christ may rest upon me."
Praise HIS Blessed And Precious Name forevermore!!

All-SUFFICIENT GRACE And Peace...