St. Patrick kept the Sabbath.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was St. Patrick a seventh day Sabbath keeper till his death, lets go over what we have from the historical record.

From the Catholic historian, T. Ratcliffe Barnett, on the Catholic queen of Scotland: "In this matter the Scots had perhaps kept up the traditional usage of the ancient Irish Church WHICH OBSERVED SATURDAY INSTEAD OF SUNDAY AS THE DAY OF REST."
Margaret of Scotland: Queen and Saint, page 97

Historian A. C. Flick writes: "The Celts used a Latin Bible unlike the Vulgate, and kept Saturday as a day of rest, with special religious services on Sunday."
The Rise of the Medieval Church, page 237

"It seems to have been customary in the Celtic churches of early times, in Ireland as well as Scotland, to keep Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, as a day of rest from labor. They obeyed the fourth commandment literally upon the seventh day of the week."
The Church in Scotland, page140, James C. Moffatt, D.D.

"In this latter instance they seemed to have followed a custom of which we find traces in the early monastic church of Ireland by which they held Saturday to be the Sabbath on which they rested from all their labours."
Adamnan Life of St. Columba, page 96), W.T. Skene

Here is more on what Patrick (and the Celtic Church) observed that caused issues with the church of Rome.

200 years after Patrick (Michelet writing of Boniface, the pope's apostle to the Germans): "His chief hatred is to the Scots [the name equally given to the Scotch and Irish], and he especially condemns their allowing their priests to marry."
History of France, vol. 1, page 74

It (the Papacy) labored to gather Patrick into its fold by inventing all kinds of history and fables to make him a papal hero. It surrounded with a halo of glory a certain Palladius, apparently sent by Rome to Ireland in the midst of Patrick's success. He also has been called Patrick.
St. Patrick, His Life and Teaching, page 33, note 1

He (Patrick) never mentions either Rome or the pope or hints that he was in any way connected with the ecclesiastical capital of Italy. He recognizes no authority but that of the word of God . . . When Palladius arrived in the country, it was not to be expected that he would receive a very hearty welcome from the Irish apostle. If he was sent by [Pope] Celestine to the native Christians to be their primate or archbishop, no wonder that stouthearted Patrick refused to bow his neck to any such yoke of bondage.
Ecclesiastical History of Ireland, vol. 1, pp. 12-15

In A.D. 596 Pope Gregory sent a group of monks to England to try and bring the Celtic Church under the authority of Rome. However, the Celts refused to acknowledge Gregory’s authority and rejected the teachings of the Roman Church. In Ireland the monks found that the Celtic Church permitted their priests to marry. They also practiced baptism by full immersion in water. The Celtic Church also rejected the doctrine of (papal) infallibility and veneration, transubstantiation, the confessional, the Mass, relic worship, image adoration and the primacy of Peter (Truth Triumphant, by B.G. Wilkinson, pg. 108).

Reactions: BlessedPeace

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
STRONGS NT 4520: σαββατισμός

σαββατισμός, σαββατισμου, ὁ(σαββατίζω to keep the sabbath);
1. a keeping sabbath.

2. the blessed rest from toils and troubles looked for in the age to come by the true worshippers of God and true Christians (R. V. sabbath rest): Hebrews 4:9. (Plutarch, de superstit. c. 3; ecclesiastical writings.)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was St. Patrick a seventh day Sabbath keeper till his death, lets go over what we have from the historical record.

From the Catholic historian, T. Ratcliffe Barnett, on the Catholic queen of Scotland: "In this matter the Scots had perhaps kept up the traditional usage of the ancient Irish Church WHICH OBSERVED SATURDAY INSTEAD OF SUNDAY AS THE DAY OF REST."

Historian A. C. Flick writes: "The Celts used a Latin Bible unlike the Vulgate, and kept Saturday as a day of rest, with special religious services on Sunday."

"It seems to have been customary in the Celtic churches of early times, in Ireland as well as Scotland, to keep Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, as a day of rest from labor. They obeyed the fourth commandment literally upon the seventh day of the week."

"In this latter instance they seemed to have followed a custom of which we find traces in the early monastic church of Ireland by which they held Saturday to be the Sabbath on which they rested from all their labours."

Here is more on what Patrick (and the Celtic Church) observed that caused issues with the church of Rome.

200 years after Patrick (Michelet writing of Boniface, the pope's apostle to the Germans): "His chief hatred is to the Scots [the name equally given to the Scotch and Irish], and he especially condemns their allowing their priests to marry."

It (the Papacy) labored to gather Patrick into its fold by inventing all kinds of history and fables to make him a papal hero. It surrounded with a halo of glory a certain Palladius, apparently sent by Rome to Ireland in the midst of Patrick's success. He also has been called Patrick.

He (Patrick) never mentions either Rome or the pope or hints that he was in any way connected with the ecclesiastical capital of Italy. He recognizes no authority but that of the word of God . . . When Palladius arrived in the country, it was not to be expected that he would receive a very hearty welcome from the Irish apostle. If he was sent by [Pope] Celestine to the native Christians to be their primate or archbishop, no wonder that stouthearted Patrick refused to bow his neck to any such yoke of bondage.

In A.D. 596 Pope Gregory sent a group of monks to England to try and bring the Celtic Church under the authority of Rome. However, the Celts refused to acknowledge Gregory’s authority and rejected the teachings of the Roman Church. In Ireland the monks found that the Celtic Church permitted their priests to marry. They also practiced baptism by full immersion in water. The Celtic Church also rejected the doctrine of (papal) infallibility and veneration, transubstantiation, the confessional, the Mass, relic worship, image adoration and the primacy of Peter (Truth Triumphant, by B.G. Wilkinson, pg. 108).

It's the natural conclusion to come to when there is only the Bible to consult as a guide for faith and practice, which appears to be all they had. :)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And so Patrick worshipped on saturday. good for him! He is not Jesus and He did not write Scripture so he kept what he felt was his conscience before God.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And so Patrick worshipped on saturday. good for him! He is not Jesus and He did not write Scripture so he kept what he felt was his conscience before God.

But, Brother Ron (Happy New Year, by the way!), folks are always demanding evidence for the relevance and validity of the Sabbath in Christianity. This ought to qualify at least as anecdotal, historical, or circumstantial, which would be admitted in certain instances in a court of law. And I'm sure I've heard Sabbath objectors say things like "That wouldn't hold up in a court of law." :)

Pretty clever, the way I did that, eh?

Okay, maybe not. :(

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, Brother Ron (Happy New Year, by the way!), folks are always demanding evidence for the relevance and validity of the Sabbath in Christianity. This ought to qualify at least as anecdotal, historical, or circumstantial, which would be admitted in certain instances in a court of law. And I'm sure I've heard Sabbath objectors say things like "That wouldn't hold up in a court of law." :)

Pretty clever, the way I did that, eh?

Okay, maybe not. :(

Well then that is the problem for those folks who demand proof from christinaity. I demand my proof from Gods Word, especiallyt eh New Testament, no matter which way portions of Christinaity may go to.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well then that is the problem for those folks who demand proof from christinaity. I demand my proof from Gods Word, especiallyt eh New Testament, no matter which way portions of Christinaity may go to.

Don't be a grump, Ron.

Jesus kept it. Aren't we to walk even as He Himself walked?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

Wonderful history.

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I demand my proof from Gods Word,

You just wrote a post on another Thread that denied John 3:16 and John 3:17

So, as you need to correct the Bible for the sake of your Hyper-Calvinism, its probably not a good idea for you to be making demands, on the Forum.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
It shows us so much, and if you think about it, the Bible is also history...

Yes.

The bible is God's History regarding His dealing with Man.

What He's done,
What He's doing.
What is yet to come.

This bible has FOREKnowledge, because the Holy Bible IS Foreknowledge.
It knows what is "on the way", and that is Revelation Knowledge also, for the believer.
In Fact its because the Bible knows what is coming, and showed this thousands of years before much of it showed up already.. PROVES to us that the Bible is not just a book.
Its SO much more.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reckon keeping Saturday sabbath is the only way to earn one's salvation?

And those that don't are condemned to hell because not keeping Saturday sabbath is the unpardonable sin?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't be a grump, Ron.

Jesus kept it. Aren't we to walk even as He Himself walked?

Not grumpy just realistic. Jesus kept the Sabbath because He was Jewish and submitted to all points of the law! NOwhere in the NTY do we see a command to keep Saturday.

Also remember what Paul said in Corinthians. the law written in stone is a ministry of death not life.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You just wrote a post on another Thread that denied John 3:16 and John 3:17

So, as you need to correct the Bible for the sake of your Hyper-Calvinism, its probably not a good idea for you to be making demands, on the Forum.
Being a liar from thread to thread and slandering brethren is pitiful. Instead of taking to people as individuals, you seem to read from a script you have created in your rmind like the JW's do with their indoctrination.

You should go into the strawman making business as you love to create them and beat them.

You do not know my mind though you pretend to. I fully accept John 3:16&17 despite your lies.

what I await is your proving your accusation that the "five points of Calvinism are satanic and demonic. You keep dodging your responsibility. Try proving your allegations for a change. then we can have real discussions instead of people having to get you to be responsible.

And until you become the Lord of the threads, I suggest you do not tell others what they should or should not do on threads. As you lie like people breathe.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Being a liar from thread to thread and slandering brethren is pitiful.

Ive not "slandered any brethren."

Ive called out Calvinism and here you are offended.

I said that 2 of them are on this forum, teaching it, obsessively.

That's Brightframe and Ronald Nolette

And you are welcome to post one of my quotes, that you say is a "lie, and i'll show you its not a lie.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive not "slandered any brethren."

Ive called out Calvinists and here you are offended.

However, i never named you as a Calvinist, i just named Calvinism.

Keep that in mind.

And you are welcome to post one of my quotes, that you say is a "lie, and i'll show you its not a lie.
Making allegations without proof is slander and defamation. You know that unless you are as ignorant as some of your allegations are.

Still waiting for you to show from Scripture why the "5 points of Calvinism" are satanic.

YOu are a liar once again! You have called me as a Calvinist numerous times!

Just go back and read all the posts you declared I did not believe Scripture. Every time you vomited that out, you were a liar!

Instead of dodging your responsibility, why don't you just prove your slander by showing why the "five points of Calvin" are Satanic"

Why do you insist on refusing to answer and instead seek to deflect and divert?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Making allegations without proof is slander and defamation.

I quoted you..

You said that : "John 3:16" does not mean that "For God so loved the (World of People".

You said that is just "generic"...

So, that is you, a offensive disciple of Calvin, denying that verse.

And i'll tell you the same again, if you need it.

Here you go...

Ronald Nolette said:
""You write this way because you fail to know how grammar works. John 3:16 is a generic statement".

See, Your CALVINISM MIND, just insulted the verse, and defined the word of God as a "generic statement"

So, you have some "Calvin in your Head" issues, that are manifesting to the point that you insult the bible, deny verses, then lie and say you are being "slandered".

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I quoted you..

You said that : "John 3:16" does not mean that "For God so loved the (World of People".

YOu just proved your a liar right here. YOu said you did not name me as a calvinist but here you call me a disciple of Calvin. You sir arew a liar!
Ronald Nolette said:
""You write this way because you fail to know how grammar works. John 3:16 is a generic statement".
It is a generic statement. God loved people.

But y0ou seem to deny the verses I posted showing Jesus said that most people are slated for destruction, that they go the broadway.

Also you deny in your armeniast mindset that Jesus said many people deny Jesus for they love the darkenss and that many are condemened already! All in the same chapter.

But diverting again to lie about someone instead of simply answering why you think the "5 points of Calvin" are Satanic.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I quoted you..

Here you go...

Ronald Nolette said:

See, Your CALVINISM MIND, just insulted the verse, and defined the word of God as a "generic statement"

So, you have some "Calvin in your Head" issues, that are manifesting to the point that you insult the bible, deny verses, then lie and say you are being "slandered".
You just can't let yourself believes God gets to make choices thus denying Scripture:

Ephesians 1:4
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Romans 9:11
(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

Titus 1:1
Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

1 Peter 1:2
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Galatians 1:15
But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.