Salt of the Earth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
FHII said something in another thread about the "salt of the earth" and how it flavors food and makes you thirsty. I have always felt the same.

I was reading a political novel called "Peace" by Jeff Nesbit (a Christian author) and in one section they discussed the salt of the earth in a way I had never considered...

First a little set-up...It centers in the Middle East with all the turmoil that is currently taking place in real life. The main character, Nash (Who hates politics), works with a NGO helping people in third world nations. His dad works for the State Dept. Nash received a text message from a prisoner and was overwhelmed by the thought of being in the middle of passing info between the prisioner and the State Dept so he went to visit a pastor friend of his for counsel, wisdom, and advice.

In the process of the discussion, this is what the pastor had to say...

...."Jesus was talking to his new disciples. He told them that they were, in fact, the salt of the earth. What he meant by that was that salt keeps things from going rotten, from being corrupted. Jesus was telling his disciples that they had a very high and noble purpose - to preserve the world from corruption. Because once something is corrupted, it's doomed and headed to destruction."

"But Jesus then added a very important caveat. He also said that salt is worthless if it loses its qualities - it's saltiness. Once salt is no longer salt - if it's no longer able to preserve - then it might just as well be tossed to the ground so people can walk over it. Without its flavor, salt is worth nothing.

"In effect, when the salt of the earth loses the ability to preserve the world from corrupting, then the world itself is at risk. Without those in place - like you, Nash - who are called to be the salt of the earth to do the right thing, the world can very quickly become a vile, dangerous place and rapidly head toward doom and destruction. The end of the world, then, is literally at hand."

..."It is my belief that there is simply not enough salt on the earth to preserve it. A vast part of the Christian church is like the church of Laodicea from the book of Revelation. It's lukewarm. God would actually prefer that you're either hot or cold."

It goes on to talk about the church and the political application in this scenario, however, the point I found interesting was the "preservative" concept. I had never considered that before.

Thoughts?
smilie_girl_352.gif

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
It's like when Abraham says 'For the sake of fifty righteous men, would you spare Sodom and Gomora, Lord? For the sake of fourty five?' and so on. :)

The righteous preserve the earth.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Salt was a life sustaining element throughout history. For salt preserved the food/ meat for the people. Jesus stated we are the salt of the earth because we preserve and sustain the earth through the word of God/meat.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
If salt preserves meat... and we are the salt of the earth, it is the earth we preserve!

But I understand this to be about all the righteous. As christians we are called to be salt (just) and light (holy).

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "salt" that Jesus was speaking about referred to the Covenant of Salt.

It was a metaphoric way of speaking to Zeal or the passion of people for God.

The passage is more emphatic than what is being spoken here.

Jesus said it to his disciples. They were uneducated & felt unequal to the religious elite.
But Jesus was saying to them that they were responsible for the whole world's Zeal & passion.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well,
So long as the disciples held to their zeal and desperate worship of Jesus they were absolutely fine to the end....and beyond.

God has always shown favoritism to those that are passionate for him.

Caleb from the 12 Spies,
David ran in hot anger towards Goliath
Elijah and Elisha both
Jeremiah
John the Baptist
Paul

and the list can go on with the whole "Great Cloud of witnesses"

Where as the mention of Lukewarm is an accurate depiction of something it isn't what was intended from the passage it was drawn from in the earlier mention. It was a reference between healing (as in hot springs spas) and or nurturing as in cold snow melt forming a river that irrigated farms. (the Lukewarm water was also from springs but it was heavily mineralized and made someone sick. It was piped into that city by the romans.

*but I digress*

Either way...what Jesus was saying was that if you do not have zeal you will be treated with utter contempt by the world.

There are some classic recent cases of where being something less than zealous and truthfull has cost people their position for God. Rick Warren and Joel Olsteen. Since their massive flops of saying something akin to there is another way to heaven other than Jesus...their fortunes have fallen flat. Their importance has fallen and they are getting kicked to the curb.

Lifeway can't seem to even give away anything with the words "Purpose driven" on it.

No, the likes of me and you may not be much in this world as those guys are still. (though they have fallen greatly in importance) But there are some things that I refuse to compromise on...and the fact that Jesus is the only way to heaven is one of them.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Where I find the struggle often lies is that Christians today believe that WE apply the blood of Jesus, when it is Jesus who applies it to whom he will.