Salvation by grace through faith...a license for sinning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that certain Catholics on here are contending for salvation by works because they probably think that salvation by grace through faith is some kind of cop-out...that we as Protestants are trying to get out of a responsibility.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

We as believers in Jesus Christ (who really believe in Him; and do not trust in our works to save us, for that would be an alternate faith system that does not trust wholly in Jesus Christ as Saviour) have received the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14).

Through the Holy Ghost, the love of the Lord is shed abroad in our hearts (Romans 5:5).

This love is not in word or in tongue only, but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18). It is also the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

This love is the fruit of the Spirit in our lives; against which there is no law (Galatians 5:22-23). We can violate no just law for as long as we bear the fruit of the Spirit, is what this is saying (see also Psalms 94:20).

Therefore, since we have the Spirit through faith; and the fruit of the Spirit (love) is the result of having the Spirit, we love one another by faith in Jesus...and there can be no law that comes against our behaviour.

This faith and this love is not obtained by seeking to obey a set of do's and don'ts; and neither is the righteousness that is exhibited obtained by attempting to keep a set of do's and don'ts.

Therefore, there is a righteousness of the Lord apart from the law, that is nevertheless attested to by the law and the prophets (Romans 3:21).

And this salvation by grace through faith also produces a changed life.

Tit 3:5, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

2Co 5:17, Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Tit 2:11, For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Tit 2:12, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Tit 2:13, Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Tit 2:14, Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
Rom 4:5, But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjrhealth

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe that certain Catholics on here are contending for salvation by works because they probably think that salvation by grace through faith is some kind of cop-out...that we as Protestants are trying to get out of a responsibility.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

We as believers in Jesus Christ (who really believe in Him; and do not trust in our works to save us, for that would be an alternate faith system that does not trust wholly in Jesus Christ as Saviour) have received the Holy Spirit by faith (Galatians 3:14).
What catholics do, is hardly an issue. The issue is what Christians believe.

If we truly believe, then it will be demonstrated in our lives, but if we continue in sin, that is evidence that we don't believe:

"22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’" Matt 7

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What catholics do, is hardly an issue. The issue is what Christians believe.

If we truly believe, then it will be demonstrated in our lives, but if we continue in sin, that is evidence that we don't believe:

"22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness!’" Matt 7

These were, of course, people who were trusting in their works to save them.

And no one is disputing that there is no change of life that will happen in the lives of those who are truly born again.

I believe that I made it clear in the OP that there is a definite change in character that will be produced in the ones who are justified by faith.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

And no one is disputing that there is no change of life that will happen in the lives of those who are truly born again.

I believe that I made it clear in the OP that there is a definite change in character that will be produced in the ones who are justified by faith.
Okay, with loooong posts, I don't tend to read beyond the first couple of paragraphs, but reading through all of it, I agree, that when we become a new creation in Christ, we become a new person.

Reactions: marks

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, with loooong posts, I don't tend to read beyond the first couple of paragraphs, but reading through all of it, I agree, that when we become a new creation in Christ, we become a new person.
I don't think that the OP was that long...

Reactions: marks

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It could also be said, that some use grace as a license to boast, which is the very reason it is by faith,

Scoot

May 14, 2020
Victoria, Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Or they could include people who are Charlatans, false prophets and wolves in sheep's clothing out there for fame and money who currently have no fear of God because they don't really believe He exists, they have just talked the talk because it serves them presently - that suddenly find themselves before Christ and as a last desperate act to try and save themselves try and pretend as though they really believed in Him and were serving Him the whole time.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation by grace through faith, not works, (Ephesians 2:8,9) neither gives us a license to sin or a license to boast.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the works this, the law that, over and over and over again

nothing is worthy but God, Him His Word and His Presence is worthy. when one is born again they have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit which is the Presence of God with that person and in that person just as Jesus describes.

therefore what is God's is worthy to be with God, God's Word is worthy to be honored and fulfilled therefore if Jesus says come in that is the worthiness not you or anything you may or may have not done. anything more then that is bonus or Jesus says treasures in Heaven. which would be of God because the Father Son Holy Ghost is the treasure in Heaven. anything in Heaven is of Heaven just as Jesus says. nothing can get into Heaven unless its from Heaven.