"Salvation" is the gift of Eternal Life - it's FOREVER.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God offers Salvation, only using the Cross,... = not using the Pope, Mary, Sacraments, water, or your self effort.
Hey behold.....That makes no sense. God offers salvation only using the cross. Huh? That needs some clarification since Scripture does not say what you just said.

If I were to accept your opinion that one does not need self-effort (works) or water (baptism) or sacraments (confession), then that means we could remove several passages from the bible that tell us we need those things. Acts 2:38 (repentance, baptism), 2 Peter 3:9 (repentance), John 3:5 1 Peter 3:21, Titus 3:5 (baptism), Luke 12:8 Romans 10:9 (declaring with our mouths) etc etc.

That is why your bible is shorter than mine. You only accept part of it. Us Christians accept and adhere to all of it. Or maybe you just haven't read all of the bible yet?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul makes it clear that there is One baptism.

Eph. 4:3-6
"Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."

Notice that Paul says here "endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

Paul is saying, now let's get it straight as to the unity as it regards faith in Christ.

He wants no misunderstanding as to the facts that involve the faith.

There is one body, one Spirit, one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

There is only one body of Christ.

There is only one Spirit/the Holy Spirit.

There is only one Lord/ only one Saviour.

There is only one faith/ the faith in Christ.

There is only one baptism/the baptism into Christ.

Paul never one time mentions water baptism even remotely as a requirement for salvation.

The One baptism is the baptism into the death of Christ, as Paul taught in Rom. 6.

That is the spiritual aspect of salvation explained.
Well, at least you got @Nancy to "like" your opinion. Maybe she can help you answer my next three questions:

It is your opinion that since Paul never mentions water baptism as a requirement for salvation then that means we should throw away all the other passages from Scripture that do mention the salvific effects of baptism? Follow Paul only!

Even though he alluded to water baptism in his writing it is true that Paul never wrote the words "you are required to be water baptized". Even though Paul was water baptized AND water baptized others and alluded to water baptism in his writings it is your opinion he did not believe in the requirement of water baptism? Follow Paul only!

Does 1 Corinthians 1:12 recommend you don't do what you just did?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, that's right...you don't get nor believe the reality that "flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

Obviously, still a big problem for you. You seem a little frazzled.
Hold on Scotty.....HOLD ON!!

Peter, with direct revelation from God, came to the realization that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of God. Are you taking the words of Jesus to Peter in a conversation from 2,000 years ago and suggesting that God is speaking directly to YOU?

That is how I am taking your response. That is how I am interpreting what you just said. Am I accurate? Or am I wrong?

VERY Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
which i dont mean to say that you dont have a valid opinion, ok; in the context of ritual baptism, for the religious. But “water” has like other, spiritual meanings? As does “immersion,” prolly
I don't give opinions bbyrd. I repeat Scripture. Scripture says baptism now saves you. If you deny that you deny Scripture.

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hey behold.....That makes no sense. God offers salvation only using the cross. Huh? That needs some clarification since Scripture does not say what you just said.

If I were to accept your opinion that one does not need self-effort (works) or water (baptism) or sacraments (confession), then that means we could remove several passages from the bible that tell us we need those things. Acts 2:38 (repentance, baptism), 2 Peter 3:9 (repentance), John 3:5 1 Peter 3:21, Titus 3:5 (baptism), Luke 12:8 Romans 10:9 (declaring with our mouths) etc etc.

That is why your bible is shorter than mine. You only accept part of it. Us Christians accept and adhere to all of it. Or maybe you just haven't read all of the bible yet?

Curious Mary
Im glad you accept all of the bible:
For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh Phil3:3
For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. Rom9:15&16

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im glad you accept all of the bible:
For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh Phil3:3
For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. Rom9:15&16
I am trying to decipher how your statement is relevant to the discussion. Can you help me out?

I don't mean that in a bad way. I just don't understand what you are suggesting.

Respectfully, Mary

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, at least you got @Nancy to "like" your opinion. Maybe she can help you answer my next three questions:

It is your opinion that since Paul never mentions water baptism as a requirement for salvation then that means we should throw away all the other passages from Scripture that do mention the salvific effects of baptism? Follow Paul only!

Even though he alluded to water baptism in his writing it is true that Paul never wrote the words "you are required to be water baptized". Even though Paul was water baptized AND water baptized others and alluded to water baptism in his writings it is your opinion he did not believe in the requirement of water baptism? Follow Paul only!

Does 1 Corinthians 1:12 recommend you don't do what you just did?

Now Marymog, you know that's not what I said! What I have been explaining to you is that the "baptism into Christ," the One Baptism, is not water baptism. The One Baptism is represented and confessed through water baptism.

Paul is brought to the forefront because he is the one who explains it, in fact, he is the one who explains almost everything in Scripture, that's because he was given the Revelation of Christ, which is the meaning of the New Covenant.

Paul was light years ahead of the 12 in knowledge of the New Covenant. That is because Paul was hand chosen by Christ to deliver the Gospel to the world, and Christ Himself gave this knowledge to Paul. Paul mentions this two times in his letters, and the 12 accepted him and believed it.

Paul literally says twice in his letters, "follow me as I follow Christ." The Holy Spirit had Paul to write this for a reason. Paul is the mouth piece for the New Covenant. It's not that we worship Paul, not at all, we respect him in his dedication to Christ. Because he is the explainer of Scripture, we turn to him for the details.

There is no explanation of what is taking place in Acts! You are reading the events of what took place without explanation. On the other hand, the explainer tells us all we to know from Scripture concerning our salvation, he is the only author in Scripture to explain it in detail.

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to decipher how your statement is relevant to the discussion. Can you help me out?

I don't mean that in a bad way. I just don't understand what you are suggesting.

Respectfully, Mary
According to Paul, believers have no confidence in the flesh, and, because God has mercy on whom he will have mercy, and compassion on whom he will have compassion, It does not depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. Im just glad we agree on the above

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Now Marymog, you know that's not what I said! What I have been explaining to you is that the "baptism into Christ," the One Baptism, is not water baptism. The One Baptism is represented and confessed through water baptism.

Paul is brought to the forefront because he is the one who explains it, in fact, he is the one who explains almost everything in Scripture, that's because he was given the Revelation of Christ, which is the meaning of the New Covenant.

Paul was light years ahead of the 12 in knowledge of the New Covenant. That is because Paul was hand chosen by Christ to deliver the Gospel to the world, and Christ Himself gave this knowledge to Paul. Paul mentions this two times in his letters, and the 12 accepted him and believed it.

Paul literally says twice in his letters, "follow me as I follow Christ." The Holy Spirit had Paul to write this for a reason. Paul is the mouth piece for the New Covenant. It's not that we worship Paul, not at all, we respect him in his dedication to Christ. Because he is the explainer of Scripture, we turn to him for the details.

There is no explanation of what is taking place in Acts! You are reading the events of what took place without explanation. On the other hand, the explainer tells us all we to know from Scripture concerning our salvation, he is the only author in Scripture to explain it in detail.
I would agree with you, Paul had insight into the outworking of the new covenant, that the other NT writers did not express. Incidentally, one catholic told me Catholics seem more at ease with the Gospels, and protestants Paul's letters. He seemed to believe it was a widely held view amongst people he knew

Reactions: Charlie24

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree with you, Paul had insight into the outworking of the new covenant, that the other NT writers did not express. Incidentally, one catholic told me Catholics seem more at ease with the Gospels, and protestants Paul's letters. He seemed to believe it was a widely held view amongst people he knew

It's a hard thing to say toward the Catholics, God bless their souls, but it's true. They are neck deep in legalism following the Gospels.

The New Covenant brought "a new and living way" to man in Christ's blood. It was hidden in the Old Testament but revealed in the New, and it's revealed by Christ through Paul.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Hey behold.....That makes no sense. God offers salvation only using the cross.

Who is on the Cross?

A.) Salvation

Its Jesus.
He offers HIMSELF......this is God's Salvation.....Christ on the Cross.

When Jesus said..."if i be LIFTED UP, i will draw all people to me".
This is the Cross of Christ.

What does God offer to forgive your sin?
CHRIST on the Cross.....His sacrificial death.

Jesus is the WAY to the Father......this "way" is the Cross.....as this is what God has offered as His plan of redemption.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is very confusing. One baptism is not water baptism, but one baptism is confessed through water baptism.

Sooooo is water baptism necessary?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the 12 Apostles were not "hand chosen by Christ to deliver the Gospel to the world"?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the 12 Apostles were not "hand chosen by Christ to deliver the Gospel to the world"?

Of course they were! But even the 3 1/2 years with Christ did not prepare them with the wisdom given Paul by Christ in His revelation.

This is why Paul was given about 1/3 of the New Testament to explain this New Covenant, to explain the business of the Church, our salvation in detail, how to live for Christ in this New Covenant, among a host of other things.

Peter, James an John also give us some very valuble information, but Paul is the main source through the Revelation given him by Christ.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course they were! But even the 3 1/2 years with Christ did not prepare them with the wisdom given Paul by Christ in His revelation.

This is why Paul was given about 1/3 of the New Testament to explain this New Covenant, to explain the business of the Church, our salvation in detail, how to live for Christ in this New Covenant, among a host of other things.

Peter, James an John also give us some very valuble information, but Paul is the main source through the Revelation given him by Christ.
For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?

How can one be of Apollos today when there is not even a sermon recorded in Scripture by Apollos?

Paul was chosen of God, he is the author of some 14 books of Scripture.

Today, if you use that metaphor, it would be I'm of Charles Stanley, no I'm of the Pope, no I'm of John Calvin, etc.

Paul was telling them we are all of Christ, one sows, one waters, and another reaps.