• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is the Church at Rome but never a Roman Catholic Church. Calling the Church at Rome the Roman Church is equally correct.
Let's stop right here.
You are correct - sort of.

The Church in Rome is the "Roman Church" - just like the Church in London is the "London Church" and the Church in Los Angeles is the "Los Angeles Church".
HOWEVER - in this instance, the "Roman Church" simply refers to the location or the diocese.
The Jerusalem council was Catholic. But it was not Roman. The Roman Church does exist. It had its beginning with the Church at Rome and has since turned into the thing that it is today. But, it does not represent the Catholic Church, though it wants to.

No, I do not accept your 'apostolic tradition'. I have no problem with tradition as long as it is correct and is not put on the same level or above the Scriptures.

How can division be anathema when Jesus caused division? As I showed you.

No, the divisions are caused by those teaching wrong doctrines, which force those who hold to the true doctrines to divide. (Rom.16:17) "Now I beseech you brethren,mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

Division is always necessary. Which is why so many turned away from the Romanist Church. (1Cor. 11:18-19) "For first of all, when ye come together in the church,I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you"

See? The approved recognize the heresies and separate themselves from them.

Stranger
Jesus only caused division between those who believe and those who don't - even family members.
1 Cor. 11:18-19 is talking about precisely this. R*E*A*D the passage slowly. It says that factions were necessary in Corinth to weed out the REAL Believers. Corinth was a really messed up congregation and had problems LONG after Paul died. Read the Epistle of Clement written in about 80 AD. It's all about the problems going on in that Church - and how they wrote to Pope Clement for a decision on the matter - even though the Apostle John was still alive and living in the East where Corinth was.

Why didn't they go to John??
Because Clement was the Pope - not John.

When the Council of Jerusalem took place - Peter and Paul had not yet gone to Rome to establish the Church there.
When they did, however, that Church became, as Cyprian of Carthage put it - "the church where sacerdotal unity has it's source."

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And you accuse ME of posting falsehoods.
Where do you get the idea that Catholics only consider other Catholics to be Christians?? I have stated repeatedly that a Protestant is a non-Catholic CHRISTIAN.

I have nothing against Protestants. I have many Protestant siblings and friends - and I love them dearly
What I detest - as God does - are LIES. I have absolutely NO tolerance for people who lie about what the Church teaches. There is absolutely NO reason for it - yet MOST of you on this thread are guilty of it.

All I have done is expose those lies - so don't be angry with me.
Instead, look into the mirror and ask yourself why YOU lied . . .
Well you might want to ask Him, but there is no way on this planet that I am going to ask Jesus why He lied to me, because He simply did not, He cannot ! I would dearly prefer if we went back to you not writing to me anymore whatsoever. it's hard to read you calling Jesus a liar all the time, and don't give me that rubbish that it is me you are calling a liar, as I have often made it clear, which things He told me, and that which are things I think or things I have assumed. Having met Jesus, I would NEVER dare to have the stupidity to misquote Him, nor to pretend He said something He didn't. So goodbye and good luck over the next 13 years trying to do this thing you're on about. I am serious, do not write back ! I have met quite a few people like you Mormons, Jehovas Witnesses and alike, and they like you swear by a book but have zero KNOWING when it comes to Jesus.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you might want to ask Him, but there is no way on this planet that I am going to ask Jesus why He lied to me, because He simply did not, He cannot ! I would dearly prefer if we went back to you not writing to me anymore whatsoever. it's hard to read you calling Jesus a liar all the time, and don't give me that rubbish that it is me you are calling a liar, as I have often made it clear, which things He told me, and that which are things I think or things I have assumed. Having met Jesus, I would NEVER dare to have the stupidity to misquote Him, nor to pretend He said something He didn't. So goodbye and good luck over the next 13 years trying to do this thing you're on about. I am serious, do not write back !
This is an OPEN forum, so when you address me - I will respond - especially when you lie.
I have never called Jesus a "liar" - and I have never called YOU a "liar".

I stated that I don't believe your story about your "conversation" with Jesus because the information you relayed is Anti-biblical - and Jesus would never tell you to do something that went against His Word.

If you don't want to converse with me - that's fine. However, if you continue posting your anti-Catholic lies - I expose you.
If you really love the truth - then don't practice what you preach and be honest for a change . . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's stop right here.
You are correct - sort of.

The Church in Rome is the "Roman Church" - just like the Church in London is the "London Church" and the Church in Los Angeles is the "Los Angeles Church".
HOWEVER - in this instance, the "Roman Church" simply refers to the location or the diocese.

Jesus only caused division between those who believe and those who don't - even family members.
1 Cor. 11:18-19 is talking about precisely this. R*E*A*D the passage slowly. It says that factions were necessary in Corinth to weed out the REAL Believers. Corinth was a really messed up congregation and had problems LONG after Paul died. Read the Epistle of Clement written in about 80 AD. It's all about the problems going on in that Church - and how they wrote to Pope Clement for a decision on the matter - even though the Apostle John was still alive and living in the East where Corinth was.

Why didn't they go to John??
Because Clement was the Pope - not John.

When the Council of Jerusalem took place - Peter and Paul had not yet gone to Rome to establish the Church there.
When they did, however, that Church became, as Cyprian of Carthage put it - "the church where sacerdotal unity has it's source."

The epistle of Clement is not Scripture. Why do you put such emphasis on something not Scripture?

Yes, (1 Cor. 11:18-19) is about the problem of heresy in the Church. And why? So that division can be made of those who are approved and those who are not.

Neither Peter or Paul established the Church at Rome.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The epistle of Clement is not Scripture. Why do you put such emphasis on something not Scripture?

Yes, (1 Cor. 11:18-19) is about the problem of heresy in the Church. And why? So that division can be made of those who are approved and those who are not.

Neither Peter or Paul established the Church at Rome.

Stranger
The Epistle of Clement is history.

It might also interest you to know that this Epistle was read from pulpits for 300 years as Scripture before the Catholic Church declared the Canon of Scripture in the late 4th century.

As for your laughable claim about Peter and Paul - where do you get this nonsense??
Paul's
time in Rome is explicitly detailed in the NT and Peter's is alluded to (! Pet. 5:13). The Early Church UNANIMOUSLY proclaimed this fact.
In fact - you cannot find ONE single Early Church Father who disputes it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Epistle of Clement is history.

It might also interest you to know that this Epistle was read from pulpits for 300 years as Scripture before the Catholic Church declared the Canon of Scripture in the late 4th century.

As for your laughable claim about Peter and Paul - where do you get this nonsense??
Paul's
time in Rome is explicitly detailed in the NT and Peter's is alluded to (! Pet. 5:13). The Early Church UNANIMOUSLY proclaimed this fact.
In fact - you cannot find ONE single Early Church Father who disputes it.

There is nothing to indicate that Peter was ever in Rome. Peters ministry was to the Circumcision. (2 Peter 2:7)

Nothing in (1 Peter 5:13) indicates Peter was ever in Rome.

The Church at Rome was already in existence by the time Paul got there. (Rom. 1:8,13)

Stranger

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ONE Body with many parts, as described in 1 Cor. 12 is NOT what you have in Protestantism.

You have tens of thousands of perpetually splintering bodies with many splintering parts. That is NOT the unity Jesus prayed for at the Last Supper (John 17:20-23).

Our Lord is not the God of confusion - no matter how much this splintering tragedy tried to make Him one.
Says you.

But you are wrong...God is the god of confusion (as is evident from the tower of Babel). And the verse to the contrary that you refer to, does not say "confused" in the same way, but says "disorder." Indeed, God is not the god of disorder.

As such, it is He whom has ordered what you consider division, which it is not. Which you obviously only do because you feel attacked in your own version of faith and belief. The difference, is that those "splintering bodies" as you call them, generally love one another...which cannot be said of the disdain you yourself demonstrate.

Reactions: Helen and Pisteuo

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Says you.

But you are wrong...God is the god of confusion (as is evident from the tower of Babel). And the verse to the contrary that you refer to, does not say "confused" in the same way, but says "disorder." Indeed, God is not the god of disorder.

As such, it is He whom has ordered what you consider division, which it is not. Which you obviously only do because you feel attacked in your own version of faith and belief. The difference, is that those "splintering bodies" as you call them, generally love one another...which cannot be said of the disdain you yourself demonstrate.
You can't be this dense.
WHY did God cause confusion at Babel?? Because of the evil among the people - just as He at Sodom when He struck them blind.

God is NOT the God of confusion for His people.
If that's how YOU see Him - it's no wonder why you're so confused.

As for my "disdain" - it is only for LIES. When are you going to get that straight?
I love my separated brothers and sisters in the Protestant world - although I detest the lies that some of you insist on spouting.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can't be this dense.
WHY did God cause confusion at Babel?? Because of the evil among the people - just as He at Sodom when He struck them blind.

God is NOT the God of confusion for His people.
If that's how YOU see Him - it's no wonder why you're so confused.

As for my "disdain" - it is only for LIES. When are you going to get that straight?
I love my separated brothers and sisters in the Protestant world - although I detest the lies that some of you insist on spouting.
This is not love.

Nor are you correct about God. He "confused" the language of "all" the earth. As for "His people", He also is the author of "strong delusion."

But it is evident that I am speaking with someone who does not know the definition of love...so, I do not expect you to understand any of this.

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is nothing to indicate that Peter was ever in Rome. Peters ministry was to the Circumcision. (2 Peter 2:7)

Nothing in (1 Peter 5:13) indicates Peter was ever in Rome.

The Church at Rome was already in existence by the time Paul got there. (Rom. 1:8,13)

Stranger
The idea that Peter was never in Rome is an ignorant fairy tale because the evidence is overwhelming.

The fact that Paul had emissaries Aquila and his wife Priscilla who were gathering believers i Rome doesn't mean that the Church wasn't established by Peter and Paul.

Jesus BUILT His Church - but it was ESTABLISHED by His Apostles.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not love.
And neither are the filthy lies that YOU and others have been spewing around here.
Don't add hypocrisy to your lies . . .
Nor are you correct about God. He "confused" the language of "all" the earth. As for "His people", He also is the author of "strong delusion."
But it is evident that I am speaking with someone who does not know the definition of love...so, I do not expect you to understand any of this.
Like I said - if you truly believe that God is confusing and deceiving us - then I feel sorry for you.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
But what is it that they believe?
ha--from A to Z, i guess; Armenianism to Zoroastrianism :)
beliefs are completely irrelevant to God; and this is easily developed from Scripture
Do they believe in the risen Christ, and if they do, why do they think he has taken a two thousand year holiday?
hmm; my opinion is because no one actually wants to change their mind and pick up their cross, and after all why bother if "church" assures you that all you have to do is "believe" and Jesus will come riding in any moment on a White Horse to take them to da Eternal Party in da sky? All for 10% vigorish?

This is contained in the lesson of Esau though; despising one's birthright, it is called.
So are they really believers?
sure, why not. Of course this is deceptive, as everyone is in a slightly different place i guess; satan believes too. Hitler was a "believer." God can make believers out of rocks, goes the passage lol

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The idea that Peter was never in Rome is an ignorant fairy tale because the evidence is overwhelming.

The fact that Paul had emissaries Aquila and his wife Priscilla who were gathering believers i Rome doesn't mean that the Church wasn't established by Peter and Paul.

Jesus BUILT His Church - but it was ESTABLISHED by His Apostles.

No it's not. Where is the evidence that Peter was in Rome? And what about (2 Peter 2:7)?

There is nothing to show that Peter started any Church in Rome. And Paul is clear that he didn't start the church in Rome. Forget it. Romans is clear as I showed you. (Rom. 1:8,13)

Actually, Jesus is the foundation and we all are workers with Christ on the building. (1 Cor. 3:11-12)

Stranger

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What the Bible says is to reject those who cause divisions, which is the very essence of the onset of Protestantism: schism, sectarianism, and division. It is Protestantism that departed from the historic Church, which is indefectible and infallible (see also 1 Tim 3:15).
The heresies of Paul's day, which John also wrote against, were the Gnostics trying to infiltrate the church. They fasted from meat, not according to the teachings of Jesus, but because they thought the food itself was evil. They frowned on marriage, not according to the teachings of Jesus and Paul on celibacy, but because they thought flesh was evil. They denied the Incarnation and the Real Presence. Ignorant biblical illiterates like to beat Catholics with 1 Timothy 4:3 and it backfires when it is discovered who Paul is talking about. Do some research on the Gnostics and they fit 1 Timothy 4:3 to a "T".

Last edited by a moderator:

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is the Church at Rome but never a Roman Catholic Church. Calling the Church at Rome the Roman Church is equally correct.

The Jerusalem council was Catholic. But it was not Roman. The Roman Church does exist. It had its beginning with the Church at Rome and has since turned into the thing that it is today. But, it does not represent the Catholic Church, though it wants to.
History is your enemy.
No, I do not accept your 'apostolic tradition'. I have no problem with tradition as long as it is correct and is not put on the same level or above the Scriptures.
That just proves you can't read, or avoid, my signature.
How can division be anathema when Jesus caused division? As I showed you.
You showed me an out of context verse that has nothing to do with Paul, and you are trying use that to justify a 15th century revolt. Jesus isn't talking about that either. Read some commentaries.
those who hold to the true doctrines to divide. (Rom.16:17) "Now I beseech you brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

Division is always necessary. Which is why so many turned away from the Romanist Church. (1Cor. 11:18-19) "For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you"

See? The approved recognize the heresies and separate themselves from them.
See the above post as to which heresies Paul is talking about.
How many Protestants refuted the Arian heresy at the Council of Nicae?
How many Protestants refuted the Nestorian heresy at the Council of Ephesus? Who were "the approved" that made these authoritive verdicts down through history? Approved Protestants? How many Protestant churches have ever held a council?

We follow the model of the Jerusalem Council, whereas you guys reject that or ignore it, because it doesn’t fit in with the man-made tradition of Protestantism and a supposedly non-infallible Church.

The whole thing is a far more complex matter than Protestants usually comprehend, because they have been taught only one way of looking at things: sola Scriptura and anti-institutionalism, and anti-Catholicism (either subtle or more pernicious opposition).

What is straying from God’s word is the very notion of denominationalism, which is always considered an outrage in the NT;
the rejection of apostolic succession,
and of, e.g., bishops (plainly present in the NT),
or belief in a non-literal Eucharist,
or a baptism that doesn’t regenerate,
or sola Scriptura
or faith alone (separation of justification and sanctification)
all the host of unbiblical teachings that are in Protestantism. That’s why I left the system; wanting to follow biblical teachings more closely, traditional moral teachings, and the historic Christian Church.

Galatians 1:8-9 is very real; thus, we reject Protestantism where it departs from God’s word. The Bible teaches that the true Church is infallible and indefectible. That is a promise of God. One either accepts it in faith or not. That is the task: does one accept all of what the Bible teaches, or just selectively, with man-made traditions added to it?
There is such a thing as a false church and false gospel, that must be rejected, and there is also the one true Church that cannot fail doctrinally, based on God’s protection. You assert the first thing but reject the second, which is your difficulty (accepting one part of the Bible but not another). We accept both things and have no difficulty.
Dialogue with a Calvinist: Was Paul a "Lone Ranger"?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
kepha31

What's the matter, you need to sign my name to your posts (818)hoping for some credibility? Cheap. Do they teach deception in your Roman schools?

Stranger