• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Therein lies the problem. He did not sent Peter to lead, but to feed, and the authority was given to the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom He did send to [all] who receive Him.
Your making a false dichotomy between Peter and the Holy Spirit, pitting one against the other. The Bible doesn't do that.
You define the church incorrectly as a group of leaders, while Christ defines it as His body.
This is a total misrepresentation of what the Church teaches about The Body of Christ and the Magisterium. The Bible doesn't pit one against the other the way you do. Another false dichotomy.
The word of God is established by His providence, not man's.
His providence guided "men" to canonize the Bible during an era of uncertainty. Do a Bible search on "word of God". It appears 180 to 200 times. Nowhere does it mean written word alone. Your definition of "word of God" is incomplete.
You are like Israel, who preferred a man as a king, rather than God himself...and you shall suffer the same punishment.
Popes are not kings, they are chief stewards, modeled after the Davidic Kingdom; not some corporation that you guys have dreamed up.
Paul was met by Ananias and the Holy Spirit, whom told him - not Peter.
You're bending over backwards to avoid the truth that Paul was under Church authority. Peter didn't need to be there, that's what bishops are for.
Again, you have incorrectly defined the church. And now you have mistaken Paul's acting as One with the body, as being subordinate, which He was not.
I gave a long list of proof texts showing Paul was UNDER CHURCH AUTHORITY. He did what he was told. That does not in any way diminish his stature as an Apostle. You are unable to grasp the dynamics of ecclesiastical authority. You can't seem to reconcile servitude with leadership.

Matt. 10:20; Luke 12:12 – Jesus tells His apostles it is not they who speak, but the Spirit of their Father speaking through them. If the Spirit is the one speaking and leading the Church, the Church cannot err on matters of faith and morals.

Matt. 16:18 – Jesus promises the gates of Hades would never prevail against the Church. This requires that the Church teach infallibly. If the Church did not have the gift of infallibility, the gates of Hades and error would prevail. Also, since the Catholic Church was the only Church that existed up until the Reformation, those who follow the Protestant reformers call Christ a liar by saying that Hades did prevail.
("not prevail" does not mean she will never be attacked, it means satan can't win)

Matt. 16:19 – for Jesus to give Peter and the apostles, mere human beings, the authority to bind in heaven what they bound on earth requires infallibility. This is a gift of the Holy Spirit and has nothing to do with the holiness of the person receiving the gift.

Matt. 18:17-18 – the Church (not Scripture) is the final authority on questions of the faith. This demands infallibility when teaching the faith. She must be prevented from teaching error in order to lead her members to the fullness of salvation.

Matt. 28:20 – Jesus promises that He will be with the Church always. Jesus’ presence in the Church assures infallible teaching on faith and morals. With Jesus present, we can never be deceived.

I gave several passages showing that Paul was under Church authority, in various ways. Of course, all authority ultimately comes from God (Paul was called before he was born: Gal 1:15). It is the pitting of the ultimate source against the secondary, human source (the Church) which is the problem in your approach and that of Protestantism in general. You guys don’t like human, institutional authority and don’t have enough faith to believe that God can and does preserve it, so you try to undermine it by fallacious arguments, as presently.

No doubt you aren’t even aware that you are doing it. To do this is automatic in Protestantism; it’s like breathing. It’s like the fish that doesn’t know it’s in water. It all comes from the rejection of the infallibility of the Church (which is one thing that sola Scriptura always entails).

We believe in faith that the Church is infallible and indefectible, based on many biblical indications. It is theoretically possible (speaking in terms of philosophy or epistemology) that the Church could stray and have to be rejected, but the Bible rules that out. We believe in faith that it has not and will not.

Protestants don’t have enough faith to believe that God could preserve an infallible Church, even though they can muster up even more faith than that, which is required to believe in an infallible Bible written by a bunch of sinners and hypocrites.

We simply have more faith than you guys do. It’s a supernatural gift. We believe that the authoritative Church is also a key part of God’s plan to save the souls of men. We follow the model of the Jerusalem Council, whereas you guys reject that or ignore it, because it doesn’t fit in with the man-made tradition of Protestantism and a supposedly non-infallible Church.

Read more at Dialogue with a Calvinist: Was Paul a "Lone Ranger"?

Last edited by a moderator:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ou're bending over backwards to avoid the truth that Paul was under Church authority.
The apostles where under one authority, Jesus as are all those who belong to Him. All other men are under teh authority of teh religion they give themselves too. And since God cannot partake in that what oposses Him He cannot be a part of mens religions. Teh blind leading teh blind.

Reactions: pia and Helen

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Therein lies the problem. He did not sent Peter to lead, but to feed, and the authority was given to the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom He did send to [all] who receive Him.
Peter wasn't a leader?
Matt. 19:27 - Peter speaks on behalf of the apostles by telling Jesus that they have left everything to follow Him.

Mark 10:28 - here also, Peter speaks on behalf of the disciples by declaring that they have left everything to follow Him.

Mark 16:7 - Peter is specified by an angel as the leader of the apostles as the angel confirms the resurrection of Christ.

Luke 5:4,10 - Jesus instructs Peter to let down the nets for a catch, and the miraculous catch follows. Peter, the Pope, is the "fisher of men."

Luke 7:40-50- Jesus addresses Peter regarding the rule of forgiveness and Peter answers on behalf of the disciples.

Luke 8:45 - when Jesus asked who touched His garment, it is Peter who answers on behalf of the disciples.

Mark 11:21 - Peter speaks on behalf of the disciples in remembering Jesus' curse on the fig tree.

Mark 14:37 - at Gethsemane, Jesus asks Peter, and no one else, why he was asleep. Peter is accountable to Jesus for his actions on behalf of the apostles because he has been appointed by Jesus as their leader..

Luke 22:31-32 - Jesus prays for Peter alone, that his faith may not fail, and charges him to strengthen the rest of the apostles.

Luke 24:12, John 20:4-6 - John arrived at the tomb first but stopped and waited for Peter. Peter then arrived and entered the tomb first.

John 21:2-3,11 - Peter leads the fishing and his net does not break. The boat (the "barque of Peter") is a metaphor for the Church.

John 21:15 - in front of the apostles, Jesus asks Peter if he loves Jesus "more than these," which refers to the other apostles. Peter is the head of the apostolic see.

John 21:15-17 - Jesus charges Peter to "feed my lambs," "tend my sheep," "feed my sheep." Sheep means all people, even the apostles.

Acts 1:15 - Peter initiates selection of a successor to Judas right after Jesus ascended into heaven, and no one questions him. Further, if the Church needed a successor to Judas, wouldn't it need one to Peter? Of course.

Acts 2:14 - Peter is first to speak for the apostles after the Holy Spirit descended upon them at Pentecost. Peter is the first to preach the Gospel.

Acts 8:20-23 - Peter casts judgment on Simon's quest for gaining authority through the laying on of hands. Peter exercises his binding and loosing authority.

2 Peter 3:16 - Peter is making a judgment on the proper interpretation of Paul's letters. Peter is the chief shepherd of the flock.

Matt. 23:11; Mark 9:35; 10:44 - yet Peter, as the first, humbled himself to be the last and servant of all servants.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We simply have more faith than you guys do.

It's the object of your faith that Protestants disagree with: you worship a physical object at the words of consecration, the bread and wine. You say that object is God, and Protestants say no, that is not God.

Reactions: Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We simply have more faith than you guys do
no you have religion.

Protestants don’t have enough faith to believe that God could preserve an infallible Church

No Christians have faith in God ,Jesus and the Holy Spirit, something denied by the religious so they can appear to be righteous but not. It is Chrst that saves, and He need no religion to do it. That is why you have no faith.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've already stated why there are so many Protestant denominations - and it can be swmmed up in TWO words:
Personal Interpretation.

Your reason for so many Protestant denominations is also the reason why there was a great spit between the West [Rome] and the East [Constantinople]. It is also the reason why many stayed when the Protestants departed from the church centered in Rome.

Consider who was right and who was wrong when the natural nation of Israel split between the North [Israel-Samaria] and the South [Jerusalem] upon the death of King Solomon. Both were right in part and both were wrong in part. The right, of course, was when they followed God's lead. The wrong was when they followed their own.

As go men, so also go churches all of them to the extent that they ever fail to follow the Lord.

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." James 4:8

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the object of your faith that Protestants disagree with: you worship a physical object at the words of consecration, the bread and wine. You say that object is God, and Protestants say no, that is not God.
Dear tabletalk,

Christian history clearly shows us that The Church has always practiced and believed in the consecration of the bread and wine.

Are you saying that since the Protestant Reformation (last 500 years) Christians have finally discovered the truth and the first 1,500 years of that practice and belief was a lie?

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying so please correct me if I am wrong.

Mary

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Excellent Post @amadeus ....I wish I had said it a clearly as this:-
Your reason for so many Protestant denominations is also the reason why there was a great spit between the West [Rome] and the East [Constantinople]. It is also the reason why many stayed when the Protestants departed from the church centered in Rome.

Consider who was right and who was wrong when the natural nation of Israel split between the North [Israel-Samaria] and the South [Jerusalem] upon the death of King Solomon. Both were right in part and both were wrong in part. The right, of course, was when they followed God's lead. The wrong was when they followed their own.

As go men, so also go churches all of them to the extent that they ever fail to follow the Lord.

"Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded." James 4:8

Reactions: mjrhealth and pia

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a load of bs. (1 Peter 3:15) says nothing about Peter being in Rome.

I never said Paul didn't go to Rome. He did. But the Church was already started. (Rome. 1:8,13). Pretty simple.

Stranger
Yup - the Church was a seedling in rome - and Peter and Paul established it.
As for 1 Pet. 3:15 - I've already explained to you that "Babylon" is a 1st century code word for Rome and that's why John refers to Rome as "Babylon" in Revelation.

I gave you the testimonies of the Early Church on the matter - and ALL you could come back with was "They lied!".
What a pathetic excuse for an answer . . .

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
( I know a few Catholics, and can fellowship with them easy..I haven't met the "fighting mad" Catholics like on here before.)

I have met a few angry Catholics, but nothing like this guy. It makes me cringe

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup - the Church was a seedling in rome - and Peter and Paul established it.
As for 1 Pet. 3:15 - I've already explained to you that "Babylon" is a 1st century code word for Rome and that's why John refers to Rome as "Babylon" in Revelation.

I gave you the testimonies of the Early Church on the matter - and ALL you could come back with was "They lied!".
What a pathetic excuse for an answer . . .

No, Peter had nothing to do with any establishing of the Church at Rome. Paul did later. But Paul didn't found the Church at Rome.

Again, (1 Peter 3:15) says nothing about Babylon.

Yes you give me the testimony of men. I gave you the testimony of God.

Stranger

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear tabletalk,

Christian history clearly shows us that The Church has always practiced and believed in the consecration of the bread and wine.

Are you saying that since the Protestant Reformation (last 500 years) Christians have finally discovered the truth and the first 1,500 years of that practice and belief was a lie?

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying so please correct me if I am wrong.

Mary

I thought I was clear about the object of the Catholic Church's worship.

Here is a link which explains their teachings better than I can: Transubstantiation and the Real Presence | carm

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Peter had nothing to do with any establishing of the Church at Rome. Paul did later. But Paul didn't found the Church at Rome.

Again, (1 Peter 3:15) says nothing about Babylon.

Yes you give me the testimony of men. I gave you the testimony of God.

Stranger
Got my numbers transposed - it's 1 Pet. 5:13.
This IS the testimony of the Holy Spirit . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have met a few angry Catholics, but nothing like this guy. It makes me cringe
What should make you cringe is your complete inability to tell the truth - not the fact that I caught you.
Don't shoot the messenger . . .

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter wasn't a leader?
Matt. 19:27 - Peter speaks on behalf of the apostles by telling Jesus that they have left everything to follow Him.

Mark 10:28 - here also, Peter speaks on behalf of the disciples by declaring that they have left everything to follow Him.

Mark 16:7 - Peter is specified by an angel as the leader of the apostles as the angel confirms the resurrection of Christ.

Luke 5:4,10 - Jesus instructs Peter to let down the nets for a catch, and the miraculous catch follows. Peter, the Pope, is the "fisher of men."

Luke 7:40-50- Jesus addresses Peter regarding the rule of forgiveness and Peter answers on behalf of the disciples.

Luke 8:45 - when Jesus asked who touched His garment, it is Peter who answers on behalf of the disciples.

Mark 11:21 - Peter speaks on behalf of the disciples in remembering Jesus' curse on the fig tree.

Mark 14:37 - at Gethsemane, Jesus asks Peter, and no one else, why he was asleep. Peter is accountable to Jesus for his actions on behalf of the apostles because he has been appointed by Jesus as their leader..

Luke 22:31-32 - Jesus prays for Peter alone, that his faith may not fail, and charges him to strengthen the rest of the apostles.

Luke 24:12, John 20:4-6 - John arrived at the tomb first but stopped and waited for Peter. Peter then arrived and entered the tomb first.

John 21:2-3,11 - Peter leads the fishing and his net does not break. The boat (the "barque of Peter") is a metaphor for the Church.

John 21:15 - in front of the apostles, Jesus asks Peter if he loves Jesus "more than these," which refers to the other apostles. Peter is the head of the apostolic see.

John 21:15-17 - Jesus charges Peter to "feed my lambs," "tend my sheep," "feed my sheep." Sheep means all people, even the apostles.

Acts 1:15 - Peter initiates selection of a successor to Judas right after Jesus ascended into heaven, and no one questions him. Further, if the Church needed a successor to Judas, wouldn't it need one to Peter? Of course.

Acts 2:14 - Peter is first to speak for the apostles after the Holy Spirit descended upon them at Pentecost. Peter is the first to preach the Gospel.

Acts 8:20-23 - Peter casts judgment on Simon's quest for gaining authority through the laying on of hands. Peter exercises his binding and loosing authority.

2 Peter 3:16 - Peter is making a judgment on the proper interpretation of Paul's letters. Peter is the chief shepherd of the flock.

Matt. 23:11; Mark 9:35; 10:44 - yet Peter, as the first, humbled himself to be the last and servant of all servants.

Matthew 19:27; Mark 10:28
Jesus answers:
29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God’s sake,
30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.
Luke 18:29-30

Mark 16:7
Tell his disciples and Peter was the angel’s quote.
You are adding words that the verse will not permit.

Luke 5:4; 10
Again Disciples and Peter NOT Peter and the disciples

Luke 7:40-50
Again you putting words that are not there.

Luke 8:45
Again you are adding words to the verse. Your view is in error. The verse declares Peter and those that are with him, not Peter and those he represented. Big difference. Stop adding your own opinions!

Mark 11:21
If you continued reading to the next verse you would have found Jesus replied with unto them NOT unto Peter. Boy, you guys sure use a lot of liberty with your own opinions and to change/twist scriptures.

K 14:37
Has it ever occurred to you Catholics when Jesus came back from praying that He found Peter the only one awake and the rest were asleep, and asked Peter if he too was asleep? Where in this verse did Jesus appoint Peter as the leader?

Luke 22:31-32
Jesus prayed for Peter because Satan had desired to have him. Jesus would have done the same for John or James. Why do you keep elevating Peter over the other Apostles? All Jesus is saying is He wants Peter as an example of strength to his brethren.

Luke 24:12; John 20:4-5
John waited for Peter who was getting older and slower. As a respect for the elderly John allowed to go in first. is? Do you even know who this John is? Remember, you heard it first from me.

John 21:2-3,11
How do you get a small ship as a metaphor for your church? Explain please with scriptures.

John 21:15
Again you can’t make this verse say something it does not stipulate. Where in this verse says Peter is the head of the apostolic see? Making up stories again?

John 21:15-17
Again error in translation! Sheep I’m sorry to say is not used for all people, only for those who are Christ’s and these are those that consists of the elect (true believers) that belong to the invisible church that Jesus began to build at Pentecost up until the end of the world.

Acts 2:14
Just because he was first to preach still does not make Peter the leader. Show scriptures that will qualify Peter as the leader. And don't speak of his primacy.

Acts 8:20-23
Here, Peter is remonstrating with Simon of his wickedness thinking he can buy the gift of God. Nothing about binding and loosing.

2 Peter 3:16
Here, Peter is merely saying Paul’s epistles are difficult to understand that some wrestle with it and some even twists the scriptures. No mention of Peter as shepherd of flock.

Matthew 23:11; Mark 9:35; 10:
But nowhere in Scriptures describes Peter as chief or leader.

What I see the Catholics do is twist scriptures to suite their doctrines. They believe they are the only ones to interpret scriptures according to 1 Timothy 3:15.
What? Came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
If indeed the Catholic church is the ground and foundation of truth why don’t they change Genesis 1:1
to read as follows, “In the beginning, the Catholic church created the heavens and the earth!”

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Helen and pia

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the beginning, the Catholic church created the heavens and the earth!
Hi there, pardon me for jumping in but you reminded me of a great joke I heard once.
A man is walking with the Lord in Heaven when they come against this massive tall wall, which seemed to go on forever, so the man asked the Lord what was in there, to which the Lord replied :" Oh, that is where all the Catholics are. They like to think they are the only ones here."
If I have posted this before in the past, apologies to those who already read it....... :)

Reactions: Helen and Jun2u

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Seriously doubt that, The Holy Spirit doesnt yell at people as you tend to do to make a point. Something I doubt you will ever understand.

Reactions: pia

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(1Peter 5:13) "The Church at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you;..."

This is not the Roman Church. How silly. It is the church at Babylon.

Peter's ministry was to the circumcision. That is why he is writing to the strangers, the sojourners, which were the scattered Jews. (1Peter 1:1) compare with (James 1:1)

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(1Peter 5:13) "The Church at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you;..."

This is not the Roman Church. How silly. It is the church at Babylon.

Peter's ministry was to the circumcision. That is why he is writing to the strangers, the sojourners, which were the scattered Jews. (1Peter 1:1) compare with (James 1:1)

Stranger
So, let me get this straight - are you saying that Peter was in Babylon - in what is now Iraq??