Saturday is Sabbath day...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Starting to wish I hadn't posed
The question now! ;)

Please all try to be respectful of differing views

(null)

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Starting to wish I hadn't posed
The question now! ;)

Please all try to be respectful of differing views

(null)

Are you respectful of other people's views? If yes, then may I ask you to answer this question... Do you believe Christians should keep the Sabbath Day Holy or willfully break the 4th Commandment which is listed in the 10 Commandments?

God bless.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dear oh dear, this is basic Christian knowledge that first year Bible students know about. I am surprised that you had no idea about the annual Sabbaths before I taught you about them. How long have you been a Christian and how long have you read Bible? have you read the entire Bible from start to end? If so, then why in goodness sake haven't you ever learned about the annual Sabbaths which were in addition to the weekly Sabbaths?

I knew straight away when you quoted Col.2 as reference to the weekly Sabbath that you had never been taught about the annual Sabbaths.

Maybe you need to read the Bible first before you discuss these topics? That may be a good idea?

God bless.

This is a very condescending and self-righteous attittude. We hope one day to be as holy as thou ma'am!!! ;)

In point of fact the Jewish sabbath starts on friday at nightfall and proceeds to saturday at havdalah. You'd think even a beginner Christian would know this... (just trying the self-righteous thing out...sorry) ;)

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't agree with much what you said and it contradicts a lot of Scripture what you said...but I can tell you, the Sabbath for me is a pure delight, a day of rest and freedom and joy. I love the Sabbath, look forward to it each week, a time to rest my body from hard work all week and a time to fellowship with quality time and worship God with quality time. We can do these things everyday, HOWEVER, the Sabbath is set aside for FULL TIME rest and worship and I love it:)

God bless.

Amen brother TruthSeeker2012! Those that would dispute the relevance of the Sabbath are missing out on a wondrous blessing. God instituted and set apart the Sabbath as a bountiful 24 hour period of rest and spiritual rejuvenation. I also look forward every weekend to this blessed time to commune with Our Heavenly Father, just as Jesus and his disciples worshipped and obeyed His everlasting commandments.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Amen brother TruthSeeker2012! Those that would dispute the relevance of the Sabbath are missing out on a wondrous blessing. God instituted and set apart the Sabbath as a bountiful 24 hour period of rest and spiritual rejuvenation. I also look forward every weekend to this blessed time to commune with Our Heavenly Father, just as Jesus and his disciples worshipped and obeyed His everlasting commandments.

AMEN James, I was filled with joy and gladness reading your post.

Father will say to you, "well done good and faithful servant", because you have not turned your back on God's Holy Day and you have remained in loyalty and allegiance to God and refused to embrace the counterfeit Sabbath which has it's origin in Paganism.

God will raise a huge number of people in the end times, as He has already began doing, who will call people back to God and His Commands and ask people to repent, like John the Baptist did, but most will reject, but few will embrace.

God bless.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Observing the Sabbath need not be adhering to a whole host of "legalistic" requirements as the Jews and Pharisees do (I believe there is an entire book of the Talmud devoted to "proper" Sabbath observance). How you or I care to sanctify the holy Sabbath need not be the same nor are we to judge how others govern their affairs.

The main thing is that we all honor the Father's Commandments to the best of our ability as we are led by the Holy Spirit. If you have some task that absolutely 'has to be done' on Saturday, God understands. Jesus is truly "the Lord of the Sabbath" and that blessed day has not been shifted to an hour of church attendance on Sunday nor has everyday been transformed into the sacred Sabbath. IMO the Ten Commandments are listed according to their importance. Keeping the Sabbath holy ranks #4 on that eternal list and should be looked upon by all Christians as a spiritual blessing and not some sort of legalistic curse.

Peace be unto all those that love God's Commandments with a pure heart!

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Observing the Sabbath need not be adhering to a whole host of "legalistic" requirements as the Jews and Pharisees do...

Amen!

And I never keep the beautiful Sabbath day Holy in an attempt to gain salvation, I do it because I love Jesus and it's a result and fruit of my salvation. Just like I love and embrace all the 10 Commandments, and I do not kill or steal or commit adultery etc because I am ALREADY saved and not to be saved and because the day I was born again God wrote His Law on my heart and it's now a delight and joy to keep the 10 Commandments.

God bless.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep
his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man." -- (Ecc. 12:13)

We, as believers, claim that we are servants of God, His Son (Christ
Jesus) and of the Holy Spirit residing within. God is our Master. We, in turn,
are to be His faithful servants. The nature of this divine servitude
is manifest in OUR obligation to honor, praise and worship our
heavenly Father AND is to be demonstrated by our willful obedience to His
eternal Law which is summarized in the form of the Ten Commandments. Though our salvation in Christ is not based upon obedience, our obedience to God's commandments is the natural fruit of our salvation.
As our Master, it is NOT God's obligation to answer our every prayer, free us from moral laws or grant eternal peace to those who refuse to obey His commands.

It is important to note that more scriptures are devoted to expounding the fourth commandment than all the other nine.

The Ten Commandments of God are IMO, specifically and divinely arranged in a certain hierarchy. The first four are the most important, as they deal directly with our obligations to God and the remaining six describe how we are to properly treat our fellow man. This may be the reason Moses was given two tablets. (4+6=10)

REMEMBER THE FOURTH COMMANDMENT

The Sabbath is the fourth commandment and is as old as Creation itself. It was instituted by God on the SEVENTH DAY (Gen. 2:2-3) as the capstone of His Creation of earth as a blessing for all mankind
(Exo. 20:10-11) and a reminder that, as we are made in His image (Gen. 1:26-27), we are also to reserve this day as a day of rest as Our Father also rested this day from His labor of creation.

God in His infinite wisdom knew of man's tendency to forget certain commandments so He purposely prefaced the fourth commandment with the word "REMEMBER".

"The command at (Exo. 20:8) begins with "remember" because when the Sabbath was first given in Zin (which was before the giving of the decalogue), some of the people disregarded it and went out in the morning to gather Manna (Exo 16:27-28), which made God angry. They were then 'ticked off' for doing this, and then finally got the message and rested completely the following sabbath.

So God used the word "remember" at the giving of the decalogue later at Sinai, because of the people's tendancy to forget or overlook it and to charge out and work regardless." -- Road to Emmaus, Christian Forum Hosea 1:4

(Exo. 20:8) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

The word "holy" is Strongs #H6942

H6942
קדשׁ
qa^dash
kaw-dash'
A primitive root; to be (causatively make, pronounce or observe as) clean (ceremonially or morally): - appoint, bid, consecrate, dedicate, hallow, (be, keep) holy (-er, place), keep, prepare, proclaim, purify, sanctify (-ied one, self), X wholly.

Therefore, we are to wholly proclaim, appoint and consecrate the Sabbath day as a holy day of dedication unto God. (Neh. 9:14)

The Sabbath is also God's way of testing His people's devotion. The love of mammon is certainly a driving force of mankind but it is God's will that we abandon this quest for money every seventh day. It is a type of "tithe" of our time.

(Exo. 16:4) God uses the Sabbath to prove His people. It is a weekly test and measure of our discipleship and willingness to obey.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
The Sabbath Commandment says, REMEMBER, but it seems many people have FORGOTTEN!

As for me, I love and cherish the Sabbath Day Commandment and I have remembered Lord, and I have not forgotten Lord.

God bless.

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
TruthSeeker,
In post 144 I was not saying anything about the seventh day Sabbath, I was speaking about the Holy Days of God. They were from the beginning and still are and will be in the end.

Gen 1:14
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
(KJV)

226 'owth (oth);

probably from 225 (in the sense of appearing); a signal (literally or figuratively), as a flag, beacon, monument, omen, prodigy, evidence, etc.:

KJV-- mark, miracle, (en-) sign, token.

4150 mowed` (mo-ade');

or moed` (mo-ade'); or (feminine) mow` adah (2 Chronicles 8:13) (mo-aw-daw'); from 3259; properly, an appointment, i.e. a fixed time or season; specifically, a festival; conventionally a year; by implication, an assembly (as convened for a definite purpose); technically the congregation; by extension, the place of meeting; also a signal (as appointed beforehand):

KJV-- appointed (sign, time), (place of, solemn) assembly, congregation, (set, solemn) feast, (appointed, due) season, solemn (-ity), synogogue, (set) time (appointed).

3117 yowm (yome);

from an unused root meaning to be hot; a day (as the warm hours), whether literal (from sunrise to sunset, or from one sunset to the next), or figurative (a space of time defined by an associated term), [often used adverb]:

KJV-- age, + always, + chronicals, continually (-ance), daily, ([birth-], each, to) day, (now a, two) days (agone), + elder, X end, + evening, + (for) ever (-lasting, -more), X full, life, as (so) long as (... live), (even) now, + old, + outlived, + perpetually, presently, + remaineth, X required, season, X since, space, then, (process of) time, + as at other times, + in trouble, weather, (as) when, (a, the, within a) while (that), X whole (+age), (full) year (-ly), + younger.

8141 shaneh (in plural only), (shaw-neh');

or (feminine) shanah (shaw-naw'); from 8138; a year (as a revolution of time):

KJV-- + whole age, X long, + old, year (X -ly).
These 4 words are used for a specific purpose and that is to tell us when to celebrate God’s Holy Days. I expect that you are an Adventist and there for do not recognize the Holy Days, however God still does.

Isa 66:20-24
20 And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.
21 And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD.
22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.
(KJV)

2320 chodesh (kho'-desh);

from 2318; the new moon; by implication, a month: -month (-ly), new moon.

7676 shabbath (shab-bawth');

intensive from 7673; intermission, i.e (specifically) the Sabbath:

KJV-- (+every) sabbath.

1320 basar (baw-sawr');

from 1319; flesh (from its freshness); by extension, body, person; also (by euphem.) the pudenda of a man:

KJV-- body, [fat, lean] flesh [-ed], kin, [man-] kind, + nakednessself,, skin.

7812 shachah (shaw-khaw');

a primitive root; to depress, i.e. prostrate (especially reflexive, in homage to royalty or God):

KJV-- bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship.

2320 speaks about the new moon, thus referencing the Holy Days and not the weekly Sabbath.
7676 Is a Sabbath and by new moon be previous to it not the weekly Sabbath.
1317 Is all flesh meaning us.
7812 Is to prostrate or worship before Him.
And of course this is after the tribulation and past the present time. And this is why I am a Sabitarian and not a Christian.
humble servant of the Lord God Most High

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
NO, I am not a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Denomination, I am a Christian.

Besides, there are over 500 different Christian denominations who also keep the Sabbath day Holy. I can provide the list if anyone wants it.

You show loyalty to who you follow by the day you keep Holy!

If you keep Friday holy, you show loyalty to Mohammad and the Quran!

If you keep Sunday holy you show loyalty to the Pope and the Catholic Catechism!

Yet if you keep Saturday Holy [the true Sabbath], then you show loyalty to Jesus and the Bible.

So, if you think Mohammed is above the bible, then keep Friday Holy. And if you think the Pope is above the bible, then keep Sunday Holy.

Your free choice.

As for me, my 100% loyalty is to Gods Word and Jesus and the biblical Sabbath. Not to be saved, but because I am already saved and want to be loyal to Scripture before men.

"Sunday...It is the law of the Catholic Church alone..." (American Sentinel, June 1893)

"From this same Catholic Church you have accepted your Sunday, as the Lord's day, she has handed down as a tradition; and the entire Protestant world has accepted it as tradition, for you have not an iota of Scripture to establish it. Therefore that which you have accepted as your rule of faith, inadequate as it of course is, as well as your Sunday, you have accepted on the authority of the Roman Catholic Church." (D.B. Ray, The Papal Controversy, 1892, p.179)

"The church...took the pagan Sunday and made it the Christian Sunday.... The Sun was a foremost god with heathendom.... And thus the pagan Sunday, dedicated to Balder, became the Christian Sunday." (Dr. William L. Gildea, The Catholic World , March, 1894)

"They [the Protestants] deem it their duty to keep the Sunday holy. Why? Because the Catholic Church tells them to do so. They have no other reason. ...The observance of Sunday thus comes to be an ecclesiastical law entirely distinct from the Divine law of Sabbath observance. .The author of the Sunday Law...is the Catholic Church." (Walter Drum, Catholic priest, Ecclesiastical Review, February, 1914)

"The authority of the church could therefore not be bound to the authority of the Scriptures, because the Church had changed the Sabbath into Sunday, not by command of Christ, but by its own authority." (Canon and Tradition, p. 263)

"The Roman Church chose Sunday, the first day of the week, and in the course of time added other days, as holy days." (Vincent Jo Kelly, Forbidden Sunday and Feast day Occupations, Catholic University Press, 1943, p. 2)

"Perhaps the boldest thing, the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. "The Day of the Lord" (dies domini) was chosen, not from any directions noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church's sense of its own power. The day of resurrection, the day of Pentecost, fifty days later, came on the first day of the week. So this would be the new Sabbath. People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically keep Saturday holy." (The Pastor's page of The Sentinel, Saint Catherine Catholic Church, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995)

"Sunday is a Catholic institution and its claim to observance can be defended only on Catholic principles..... From beginning to end of Scripture there is not a single passage that warrants the transfer of weekly public worship from the last day of the week to the first." (Catholic Press, Sydney, Australia, August 1900)
"Question: Which is the Sabbath day?"
"Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath."
"Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?"
"Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church in the Council of Laodicea (A.D. 336) transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday." (The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, by Peter Geiermann, 50)

"The civil authorities should be urged to cooperate with the church in maintaining and strengthening this public worship of God, and to support with their own authority the regulations set down by the church's pastors. For it is only in this way that the faithful will understand why it is Sunday and not the Sabbath day that we now keep holy." (Roman Catechism, 1985)

"A history of the problem shows that in some places, it was really only after some centuries that the Sabbath rest really was entirely abolished, and by that time the practice of observing a bodily rest on the Sunday had taken its place.It was the seventh day of the week which typified the rest of God after creation, and not the first day." (Vincent Jo Kelly, Forbidden Sunday and Feast day Occupations, Catholic University Press, 1943, pp. 15, 22)

"Regarding the change from the observance of the Jewish Sabbath to the Christian Sunday, I wish to draw your attention to the facts:
1) That Protestants, who accept the Bible as the only rule of faith and religion, should by all means go back to the observance of the Sabbath. The fact that they do not, but on the contrary observe the Sunday, stultifies them in the eyes of every thinking man.
2) We Catholics do not accept the Bible as the only rule of faith. Besides the Bible we have the living Church, the authority of the Church, as a rule to guide us. We say, this Church, instituted by Christ to teach and guide man through life, has the right to change the ceremonial laws of the Old Testament and hence, we accept her change of the Sabbath to Sunday. We frankly say, yes, the Church made this change, made this law, as she made many other laws, for instance, the Friday abstinence, the unmarried priesthood, the laws concerning mixed marriages, the regulation of Catholic marriages and a thousand other laws.

It is always somewhat laughable, to see the Protestant churches, in pulpit and legislation, demand the observance of Sunday, of which there is nothing in their Bible." (Peter R. Kraemer, Catholic Church Extension Society, 1975, Chicago, Illinois)

"Nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the apostles ordered the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath day, that is the seventh day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the [Roman Catholic] Church outside the Bible." (Catholic Virginian, October 3, 1947)

" 'Our Lord rose from the dead on the first day of the week', Said Father Hourigan of the Jesuit Seminary. 'That is why the Church changed the day of obligation from the seventh day to the first day of the week. The Anglican and other Protestant denominations retained that tradition when the Reformation came along'." (Toronto Daily Star, October 26, 1949)

"I have repeatedly offered $10,000 to anyone who can prove to me from the Bible alone that I am bound to keep Sunday holy. There is no such law in the Bible. It is a law of the holy Catholic Church alone. The Bible says, 'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' The Catholic Church says: 'No. By my divine power I abolish the Sabbath day and command you to keep holy the first day of the week.' And lo! The entire civilized world bows down in a reverent obedience to the command of the holy Catholic Church." (T. Enright, C.S.S.R., in a lecture at Hartford, Kansas, Feb. 18, 1884)

"My brethren, look about the various wrangling sects and denominations. Show me one that claims or possesses the power to make laws binding on the conscience. There is but one on the face of the earth-the Catholic Church-that has the power to make laws binding upon the conscience, binding before God, binding upon the pain of hellfire. Take for instance, the day we celebrate-Sunday. What right have the Protestant churches to observe that day? None whatsoever. You say it is to obey the commandment, 'Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy.' But Sunday is not the Sabbath according to the Bible and the record of time.

Everyone knows that Sunday is the first day of the week, while Saturday is the seventh, and the Sabbath, the day consecrated as a day of rest. It is so recognized in all civilized nations.It was the Holy Catholic Church that changed the day of rest from Saturday to Sunday, the first day of the week. And has not only compelled all to keep Sunday, but at the council of Laodicea, A.D. 364 anathemized those who kept the Sabbath and urged all persons to labor on the seventh day under penalty of anathama.

Which church does the whole civilized world obey? Protestants call us every horrible name they can think of-anti-Christ, the scarlet-colored beast, Babylon, etc., and at the same time profess great reverence for the Bible, and yet by their solemn act of keeping Sunday, they acknowledge the power of the Catholic Church." (Industrial American, Harlan Iowa; a published lecture by T. Enright, December 19, 1889)

"Of course the Catholic Church claims that the change [Scriptural Sabbath to Sunday] was her act... And the act is a mark of her ecclesiastical authority in religious things." (H.F. Thomas, Chancellor of Cardinal Gibbons)

"But the Church of God [that is, the Romish church, NOT the true Church] has thought it well to transfer the celebration and observance of the Sabbath to Sunday." ('Catechism of the Council of Trent' translated by John A. McHugh and Charles J. Callan, p 402)

"It was the Catholic Church which, by the authority of Jesus Christ, has transferred this rest to the Sunday in remembrance of the resurrection of our Lord. Thus the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is a homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the [Catholic] Church." (Plain Talk About the Protestantism of Today, by Mgr. Louis Segur, 1868, p.213)

"Question: What day was the Sabbath?"
"Answer: Saturday."
"Question: Who changed it?"
"Answer: The Catholic Church."
(Rev. Dr. Butler's Catechism, revised, p. 57)

"Question: Have you any other way of proving that the church has power to institute festivals or precepts?"
"Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, -she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the first day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the seventh day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority." (Rev. Stephen Keenan's A Doctrinal Catechism, p. 174: Edward Dunigan and Brothers, New York, 1851)

"The Sunday, as a day of the week set apart for the obligatory public worship of Almighty God...is purely a creation of the Catholic Church. It is...not governed by the enactments of the Mosaic law. It is part and parcel of the system of the Catholic Church." (John Gilmary Shea, The American Catholic Quarterly Review , January, 1883)

"Question: How prove you that the church hath power to command feasts and holy days?"
"Answer: By the very act of changing the Sabbath into Sunday, which Protestants allow of; and therefore they fondly contradict themselves, by keeping Sunday strictly, and breaking most other feasts commanded by the same church."
"Question: How can you prove that?"
"Answer: Because by keeping Sunday, they acknowledge the Church's power to ordain feasts, and to command them under sin: and by not keeping the rest [of the Catholic feasts] by her commanded, they again deny, in fact, the same power." (Rev. Henry Tuberville's, (D.D.R.C.) "An Abridgment of the Christian Doctrine", p.58. New York: Edward Dunigan and Brothers, approved 1833)

"You will read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we [Catholics] never sanctify." (Cardinal Gibbons' Faith of Our Fathers, p. 111)

"Protestantism, in discarding the authority of the [Roman Catholic] Church, has no good reasons for its Sunday theory, and ought logically to keep Saturday." (John Gilmary Shea, American Catholic Quarterly Review, January 1883)

"It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church." (Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, N.J. 'News' of March 18, 1903)

"The church has changed the Sabbath into the Lord's day by its own authority, concerning which you have no Scripture." (Johann Eck, Handbook of Common Places Against the Lutherans, 1533)

"Protestants...accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change. But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that.in observing the Sunday, in keeping Christmas and Easter, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the church--the Pope." (Our Sunday Visitor, February 5, 1950.)

"The idea of importing into the Sunday the solemnity of the Sabbath with all its exigencies was an entirely foreign one to the early Christians." (Director of at Rome's Ecole Francaise, Louis M.O. Duchesne (1843-1922), Christian Worship, p.47)

"If Protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath Day. In keeping the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church." (Albert Smith, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the Cardinal, in a letter dated February 10, 1920.)

"If you follow the Bible alone there can be no question that you are obliged to keep Saturday holy, since that is the day especially prescribed by Almighty God to be kept holy to the Lord. In keeping Sunday, non-Catholics are simply following the practise of the Catholic Church for 1800 years, a tradition, and not a Bible ordinance.... With the Catholics there is no difficulty about the matter. For, since we deny that the Bible is the sole rule of faith, we can fall back upon the constant practise and tradition of the Church." (Francis G. Lentz, The Question Box, 1900, pp. 98, 99)

"Is it not strange that those who make the Bible their only teacher should inconsistently follow in this matter the tradition of the Church?" (Bertrand L. Conway, The Question Box Answers, 1910, p. 255)

"A history of the problem shows that in some places, it was really only after some centuries that the Sabbath rest really was entirely abolished, and by that time the practice of observing a bodily rest on the Sunday had taken its place.It was the seventh day of the week which typified the rest of God after creation, and not the first day." (Vincent Jo Kelly, Forbidden Sunday and Feast day Occupations, Catholic University Press, 1943, pp. 15, 22)

"You will have noticed, my dear children, that the day on which we keep Sabbath is not the same as that on which it was observed by the Jews. They kept and still keep the Sabbath upon Saturday, we on Sunday; they on the seventh, we on the first day of the week.understand how great is the authority of the [Roman Catholic] Church in interpreting or explaining to us the commandments of God-an authority which is acknowledged by the universal practice of the whole Christian world, even of those sects [i.e., protestants] who profess to take the Holy Scriptures as their sole rule of faith, since they observe as the day of rest not the seventh day of the week commanded by the Bible, but the first day, which we know is to be kept holy, only from tradition and teaching of the Catholic Church." (Henry Gibson, Catechism Made Easy (No.2), Ninth Ed., Vol. 1, pp.341,342)

God bless.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above sounds a lot like the pro-circumcision argument Paul encountered, unfortunately. :(

Colossians 2:16
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

Matthew 11:28-29
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

In regards to your comments about the 500 denominations - well I'm pretty sure I could have shown you a few thousand Pharisees who agreed on many things in the time of Jesus. In fact, Islam has near a billion followers for a more contemporary example. Numbers mean nothing, it's just further evolution of the "everyone's doing it" argument.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Colossians 2:16
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.

Col 2:16-17 is referring to the yearly ceremonial Sabbaths and feast days, not referring to the weekly Sabbath of the Lord. It refers only to the Sabbaths which were "a shadow of things to come" v17, and not to the seventh-day Sabbath.

All those who quote Col 2:16-17 to support the weekly Sabbath as abolished do not realise, or is IGNORANT of the fact that there were seven yearly holy days, or holidays, in ancient Israel which were also called sabbaths. These were in addition to, or "beside the sabbaths of the Lord" (Leviticus 23:38), or seventh-day Sabbath.

These all foreshadowed, or pointed to, the cross and ended at the cross. God's seventh-day Sabbath was made before sin entered, and therefore could foreshadow nothing about deliverance from sin. That's why Colossians chapter 2 differentiates and specifically mentions the sabbaths that were "a shadow." These seven yearly sabbaths which were abolished are listed in Leviticus chapter 23 and were part of the abolished ceremonial law, and not the eternal Moral Law-10 Commandments.

Verse 17 is saying that the sabbath days referred to in verse 16 were "shadows" of things to come. So what does that mean? The yearly ceremonial sabbaths that the Jews observed in connection with the Temple or Sanctuary were prophetic in nature. Every year the Jews were acting out the plan of salvation as demonstrated by the Temple ceremonies. The whole process was designed as a play of sorts, to explain to everyone the exact sequence of events in God's plan to redeem mankind. The focus of this plan, of course, is Jesus Christ in his role as the Lamb of God, as well as his role of High Priest or Mediator between God the Father and humanity.

HammerStone, hasn't your Pastor or anyone ever explained to you about Col 2? Hasn't your Pastor or anyone else ever told you about the ANNUAL SABBATHS which are completely different to the WEEKLY SABBATHS?

God bless.

Sabitarian

Sep 11, 2011
Truthseeker,
I have read about the early Catholic Church needing to put a brothel in front of the Church in order to save their women folk from the priests, thus celibacy for priests. The Nuns came from the temple priestesses who you had to have sex with in order for you to have bountiful crops. On March 7, 321 AD Constantine made an edict proclaiming the first day of the week to be the day of worship and any who would not follow this edict be put to death. And yet Protestants follow Papal traditions.
The fall in Revelations is the Protestants falling from grace as the Catholics fell many centuries ago. The Bible is so easy to understand if you allow it to guide you with no preconceived notions. The main focus is context, context, context as all scripture works together and no one scripture stands alone as all line up to make one complete book and the book has to be taken as a whole.
humble servant of the Lord God Most High

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TruthSeeker, your condescending tone continues to amaze me, but I'll put that aside. In fact, I could point out that your assertion that I am ignorantly is grammatically incorrect, but I won't do that. :)

Apparently, however, you need to heed in your own advice in the arena of being well read and studied. For my HCSB Study Bible notes that Sabbath days in the Colossians 2:16-17 passage refers to Sabbaths and certainly doesn't make the distinction that this refers to festal Sabbaths or weekly Sabbaths. My ESV Study Bible makes a note that it's debated as to whether or not this means one or the other and is, at best, ambiguous on the subject. My NLT Sudy Bible follows the ESV and clearly refers to all Sabbaths. Additional sources such as Strong's lead to the same ambiguity at best, but most seem think the Gr. sabbaton believe this is translated, as it is elsewhere, as sabbath meaning just that - sabbath.

Unfortunately, it seems that only a judaizing group of people want to not heed the advice in the verse and prefer to follow the shadow of things that came over the Lord of the Sabbath himself.

As to the distinction of annual and weekly, obviously I would be aware of those since I've talked about them before and I run a forum where this issue comes up all the time. Simply saying something doesn't make it true.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for that extensive post TruthSeeker2012. I read it in it's entirety and saved it for reference. Even managed to
glean a couple of more points to add to my List of Catholic Doctrinal Errors.

I would also be interested in your list of over 500 different Christian denominations who also keep the Sabbath day Holy.

TruthSeeker2012

Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for that extensive post TruthSeeker2012. I read it in it's entirety and saved it for reference. Even managed to
glean a couple of more points to add to my List of Catholic Doctrinal Errors.

I would also be interested in your list of over 500 different Christian denominations who also keep the Sabbath day Holy.

James, do you believe my posts contain a condescending tone? It seems some people accuse me of being condescending just because I disagree with them and because of pride and not liking mt questions.

I disagree with post #176, it's not biblically aligned.

And James, here are all the Christian denominations who keep the Sabbath day holy:

http://www.biblejesu...christians.html

God bless.

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James, do you believe my posts contain a condescending tone? It seems some people accuse me of being condescending just because I disagree with them and because of pride and not liking mt questions.

I disagree with post #176, it's not biblically aligned.

And James, here are all the Christian denominations who keep the Sabbath day holy:

http://www.biblejesu...christians.html

God bless.

Thanks for the link, TS2012.

As for Hammerstone's post you mentioned, I'll address some of those specific issues in a subsequent message. I may disagree with Hammerstone on any number of issues but he is Webmaster here at Christianityboard.com and I'm very pleased with the level of freedom of expression and lack of censorship or domineering moderation that is all too evident in many/most Christian forums. I enthusiastically applaud his leadership!

Honestly, you need to lighten up a bit TruthSeeker. Instead of being offended and taking all such criticism personally, I would suggest you consider much of your critics accusations as a badge of honor and part and parcel of the persecution and tribulation that makes us stronger and enables us to "endure unto the end." And realize that we all require some reproofs from time to time.

Jesus declared:

Mat. 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

And as others have plainly said, "Don't worry, be happy!"

James 5:11 Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

1Pet. 3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

1Pet. 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

Peace be with you. brother!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
I thought it was Sunday because Jesus Christ came and it is the first day so it's holy now so anyone who says it's not, is not truly in Christ at all but a person that rejects Christ.
So you are in Jesus or not.
It's a new day ? the old is finished and that is like a dog going back to eat it's own vomit.