Saying you are without sin verses in 1 John

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I look at biblical examples of men walking in the Spirit. What I see there is not me. But you say it’s wrong to think those examples show what it looks like to walk in the Spirit (and downgrade it) and you claim to walk in the Spirit as those men did. So I have examples and the testimony of the Bible and then I have you saying…well, I don’t trust or believe your testimony any more than you trust or believe epis testimony to having walked in the Spirit and what it is like.
Straight talk and now I am really appreciating you, you are not afraid to stand up to the spiritual giants.
J.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that is just the way that those who are most accustom to the ways of this world are prone to view it. But when Paul said "past" he, like the rest of scripture, was referring to the past being dead and therefore dead to sin and alive to God, having passed from death to life. It is finished...except for those who do not yet fully believe.
I think it's Barren Cross, their song Living Dead, they warn,

"Life is but a burning blade of grass, Before you know it earth will be your past!"

In Christ, Earth is our past. Except we don't see that, and we stuggle to believe.

Much love!

Reactions: ScottA

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men can’t self examine because deep down they know they’re wearing a mask and a crafted persona and they need others to see what THEY want others to see to validate them because it’s too frightful that they might see what is really in them. The light is too frightful so they remain in hiddeness.
The same problem exists when people look at others. People will hide cognitive bias deep inside themself, carefully recrafting other people's words, and God's Words, into something more suited to their own ideas. And I think for the same reason you give, they are too afraid of being found false, or being in error, or having invested themself into something that was not good.

Someone who finds their security clinging to a false teaching just might close off from hearing those who would show them more accurately the way of truth.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s one thing to read pray for your enemies and bless them, but it is quite another thing to one day find yourself gratefully doing so and saying in wonderment, surely God was in this place and I didn’t even know it…!
It's a sign of maturing in love.

As we understand He truly does love us, then, I know that my life was destroyed in order to save me, to give me eternal life. As we understand our true state, our humility, I know that the destroyers of my life are the same sorry wretches as me, lost in death, except for Christ. And I'm not innocent of harm to others!

Yes! Surely God was in this place, and I knew it not! And this can encourage us to remember, to know, Surely God is in this place!

Much love!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Future sins hadn't been committed yet, but are nonetheless propitiatied by Jesus' sacrifice.

Good point.

And because God's blood has propitiated ALL sin....regarding the born again by the 'one time eternal sacrifice of Jesus"....
THen...
Once you can see that this has to be true, then when you read Romans 4:8 that says God does not charge the born again with their sin... becomes obvious.

Why would God charge """"works of the flesh"""" to you, when Jesus has become your eternal "Sin Bearer"., by His one time "eternal" sacrifice for all sin?
Why would God judge you for your sin, in Eternity, when God has already Judged JESUS FOR ALL YOUR SIN On the Cross, on Earth, 2000 yrs ago.

The blood of God, as Christ on the Cross, is so powerful, that this ONE TIME ETERNAL Sacrifice that happened 2000 yrs ago, saved how many billions, so far as of TODAY?

SO, IF THE Blood of God, shed as Christ on the Cross 2000 yrs ago......If this shed blood and death (blood atonement) can keep saving people tomorrow... as it has saved Billions already, then certainly it can keep each of us CLEAN as we exist "one with God" In Christ.......and does.

Reactions: marks

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He contrasts "that are past" with "at this time". This is speaking of what happened then. It has to do with Jesus' declaration of righteousness in His resurrection, and in forgiving all the sins committed up to that time. Future sins hadn't been committed yet, but are nonetheless propitiatied by Jesus' sacrifice.
This is the point of confusion...which is due to men thinking in terms of the world, rather than in the term of God according to his ways rather than that of the world which is not of his kingdom.

There is no past, present, or future with God regarding salvation, only the past and I am. This is what passing from death to life is.

The confusion comes by looking at the future of the world, wherein it is no longer we who live, but Christ who lives. Which was addressed by Jesus when he spoke of those who "did it to Me." We are those "little ones" of which he spoke.

Reactions: marks

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, that is just the way that those who are most accustom to the ways of this world are prone to view it.

That is a completely knucklehead answer far away from what Apostle Paul actually said! Try reading it again...

Romans 3:25
Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
KJV

Do reading comprehension much?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sins that are past, Past when?

Past our FIRST BELIEF on Jesus Christ, of course. When else could it be talking about? Are you letting men's leaven doctrines speak through your mind, or can you simply read that Scripture as written?

Paul is talking about FUTURE SINS we may have. And don't tell me you don't slip up at times and commit sin, for you'd be telling a lie, just like Apostle John showed also in 1 John 1.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a completely knucklehead answer far away from what Apostle Paul actually said! Try reading it again...

Romans 3:25
Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
KJV

Do reading comprehension much?
So said the Priests and the Pharisees who knew the scriptures but missed the mark completely.

At least you didn't call me a devil.

Nonetheless, I have spoken the truth.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So said the Priests and the Pharisees who knew the scriptures but missed the mark completely.

At least you didn't call me a devil.

Nonetheless, I have spoken the truth.

You have spoken 'dung', and not God's Word. You don't know what God's Word says about it because you reject... God's Word, and think to make up your own word.

ONLY your past sins were forgiven by Christ's Blood shed upon His cross when you first believed on Him. After that, we are commanded to repent of future sins we may slip up and commit. And right now, YOU NEED TO REPENT TO HIM ABOUT THIS VERY MATTER! I'd fear to guess that right now, you have sins really PILED UP you need to repent to Him about. Sounds like you haven't done Communion with Him in a while either, because one of the purposes for that Communion with Him is to work things out with Him, like those future sins!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people will persecute others, over matters of - knowledge - @ScottA

man it is pretty terrible, and it is sinful to not have love for your neighbor, is that not going against the Second greatest commandment?

IF someone has a differing opinion cant we accept them as they are?

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people will persecute others, over matters of - knowledge - @ScottA

man it is pretty terrible, and it is sinful to not have love for your neighbor, is that not going against the Second greatest commandment?

1 Tim 5:20
20 Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
KJV

2 Tim 4:2
2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
KJV

Titus 1:10-14
10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision:
11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.
13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
KJV

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have spoken 'dung', and not God's Word. You don't know what God's Word says about it because you reject... God's Word, and think to make up your own word.

ONLY your past sins were forgiven by Christ's Blood shed upon His cross when you first believed on Him. After that, we are commanded to repent of future sins we may slip up and commit. And right now, YOU NEED TO REPENT TO HIM ABOUT THIS VERY MATTER! I'd fear to guess that right now, you have sins really PILED UP you need to repent to Him about. Sounds like you haven't done Communion with Him in a while either, because one of the purposes for that Communion with Him is to work things out with Him, like those future sins!
You are thinking as men think.

Tell us, What "future" "times" does one have who has entered eternity?

I tell you-- such a one's "times" are finished as it was with Christ, and he only has the "past" and "I am." Forevermore.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah your scriptural knowledge doesn't give you the authority to persecute others @Davy.

You may think you are doing a service for God, but it turns out it can lead people down a mean road.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy was a letter written to Timothy from Paul.

Titus was the same manner, written to Titus from Paul. Not written to us.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah your scriptural knowledge doesn't give you the authority to persecute others @Davy.

You may think you are doing a service for God, but it turns out it can lead people down a mean road.

It's not simply about Scripture knowledge. Nor is it about persecution. It's about REBUKE IN LOVE. So you shouldn't fear being corrected in the Scripture, because if you begin to pay attention, you might give God the opportunity to actually show you something in His Word, instead of your listening to men, or just whatever idea that pops into your own head.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have the Bible and the Spirit to do that Davy.

We do not need to go around - slaying peoples throats... with the Word of God that is sharper than any two edged sword.

But if you desire to do that, I will love you just as if you were my co-worker at work, and let you do you, but you should be aware that what you think may be in love, may not be in fact love at all if it doesn't follow the biblical definition of love found in 1 Corinthians 13.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Past our FIRST BELIEF on Jesus Christ, of course. When else could it be talking about? Are you letting men's leaven doctrines speak through your mind, or can you simply read that Scripture as written?

Paul is talking about FUTURE SINS we may have. And don't tell me you don't slip up at times and commit sin, for you'd be telling a lie, just like Apostle John showed also in 1 John 1.

@marks is right.

And let me give you something to think about.

If you are born agin........not just water baptized and religious, trying to be like Christ.......so, none of that JUNK.
Im talking about God giving you the NEW BIRTH...
So, if you have that, then consider that on the day that God saved you....>He KNEW of everything you would think or do, from that "Cross day", till the day you DIE.
He knows it all......so, He would know of all your works of the flesh you will do, later on.
Notice.......God knew of all this future behavior, some of it very ungodly, and He still saved you that day., knowing what you would do later.
See that?
So, why would God save you, if you could "out sin" Salvation, later?

A.) You cant, as the Blood of Jesus, is always greater than your sin. "Where sin abounds, GRACE MORE ABOUNDS"......and furthermore, Jesus has all your sin, and died for them ALL = 2000 yrs ago.

So, now being made free from sin, you are to live in this understanding, and this will not lead you to sin (using a license as the deceivers like to RANT), but this freedom will lead you to a perfected discipleship and cause you to love God more.
See, its not by trying to be good that we are good. Its by understanding who we are become as a new creation, in Christ, that is our power to live the holy life.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Past our FIRST BELIEF on Jesus Christ, of course. When else could it be talking about?
It could be talking about the perspective of the writer, naturally.

Sins that are previous to the cross.

You are proposing that it's a different point in time for everyone, determined by their coming to faith. Do you see Scriptures which clarify that's what God meant?

Much love!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have the Bible and the Spirit to do that Davy.

We do not need to go around - slaying peoples throats... with the Word of God that is sharper than any two edged sword.

But if you desire to do that, I will love you just as if you were my co-worker at work, and let you do you, but you should be aware that what you think may be in love, may not be in fact love at all if it doesn't follow the biblical definition of love found in 1 Corinthians 13.

Be glad when you start following The Bible then.