Should a Christian smoke marijuana?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Sounds like you are really thoroughly accustomed to them by now; smooth menthols, etc., part of your routine. So was it menthols that you even started with (in the dim and distant past)?
The very first cigarette. A friend of mine gave it to me. It was my 10th birthday. I think she was a few years older. I remember her name was Cheryl.
As time went on the group of kids that hung around together started smoling. It was cool. I wanted to be cool. And so I would walk among them and ask for smokes. Usually Marlboro Red. Sometimes Virginia Slims. I think whatever they could get their hands on, so whatever they smoked, I smoked.
Then I started stealing my mom's Pall Mall's filterless, nasty, biting the tongue tobacco.
But I needed it nevertheless.
I was about 13 I guess, My mom caught me with a full pack of Marlboro and a half pack of Pall Mall.
She made me sit in the livingroom and chain smoke them until I threw up.
That didn't work.
I didn't start smoking menthol.. early 20's. Newports and Camels. Eventually ended up with Marlboro menthol 100's extra long
Now I smoke Criss-Cross brand menthol loose tobacco, that I stuff into menthol filter tubes.

My memory is holding pretty good tonight.. LOL
Hugs
:)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The very first cigarette. A friend of mine gave it to me. It was my 10th birthday. I think she was a few years older. I remember her name was Cheryl.
As time went on the group of kids that hung around together started smoling. It was cool. I wanted to be cool. And so I would walk among them and ask for smokes. Usually Marlboro Red. Sometimes Virginia Slims. I think whatever they could get their hands on, so whatever they smoked, I smoked.
Then I started stealing my mom's Pall Mall's filterless, nasty, biting the tongue tobacco.
I was about 13 I guess, My mom caught me with a full pack of Marlboro and a half pack of Pall Mall.
That didn't work.
I didn't start smoking menthol.. early 20's. Newports and Camels. Eventually ended up with Marlboro menthol 100's extra long
Now I smoke Criss-Cross brand menthol loose tobacco, that I stuff into menthol filter tubes.

Hugs
@Ziggy I see! So you mom was a smoker already and although she didn't like it that you had evidently become one also, sounds like what she made you do as a teen on that occasion had the opposite effect to the one she intended and really made you even more accustomed and capable in the longer term, as a smoker, seeing as you got through so many all at once.

So do you think attempts should be made - like your mom did - to forbid teens from smoking? because it seems like her attempt - half-hearted or not - really had the opposite effect.

(I'm talking about regular cigarettes now, of course, not marijuana.)

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy I see! So you mom was a smoker already and although she didn't like it that you had evidently become one also, sounds like what she made you do as a teen on that occasion had the opposite effect to the one she intended and really made you even more accustomed and capable in the longer term, as a smoker, seeing as you got through so many all at once.

So do you think attempts should be made - like your mom did - to forbid teens from smoking? because it seems like her attempt - half-hearted or not - really had the opposite effect.

(I'm talking about regular cigarettes now, of course, not marijuana.)
I believe she was more concerned if my father found out.
He quit smoking oh i don't maybe I was 8 or 9. I never gave it a thought until just now, that's how he always knew I'd been smoking. Because he had quit and his nose was keen to it.. ahhh..
We lived in Boston. My mom started smoking when she was 13 or so. Kids are gonna do what their gonna do.
You had to choose your battles with the adolescents, we were going through the 70's and kids were a little less respectful than the last generation.
We were getting pushy. And parents were being forced to heel by government intervention.
One day my mom nudged my foot, she was mad I wouldn't move. I was about 13ish.
I went down to social services and told them my mom had kicked me.
They came to the house. She was investigated and felt ashamed that people would believe she would hurt her kids.
My mom was a good mom. She'd get mad, but never angry.
I hurt her pretty good.

I don't blame her or my father or my friends for my smoking.
I've done research. I know how to quit if I want to.
Deep breathing techniques work real good for me.
I just don't want to, and that's on me.

God Bless you for listening to my ramblings lol
Hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My mom started smoking when she was 13 or so.

I've done research. I know how to quit if I want to.
Deep breathing techniques work real good for me.
I just don't want to, and that's on me.

God Bless you for listening to my ramblings lol
Hugs
@Ziggy Well, clearly your mom was a veteran smoker already, and now you are a veteran smoker also; so I guess it was unrealistic for her to think you would just quit if she moralized to you about it, being a veteran at it herself already.

Anyhow...

(PS: In fact, having you consume all those cigarettes in succession like that probably made your lungs more acclimatized to doing it. Lungs that were growing as a teen being given more inhales to stretch their capacity, so to speak.)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy Well, clearly your mom was a veteran smoker already, and now you are a veteran smoker also; so I guess it was unrealistic for her to think you would just quit if she moralized to you about it, being a veteran at it herself already.

Anyhow...

(PS: In fact, having you consume all those cigarettes in succession like that probably made your lungs more acclimatized to doing it. Lungs that were growing as a teen being given more inhales to stretch their capacity, so to speak.)
My daughter quit about 6 years ago..
so it's not genetic :)
And my grandson don't smoke.
My daughter has more will power. She puts that mind to something and it gets done.
Mine walks off on me..
LOL
Hugs

Reactions: Truman

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter quit about 6 years ago..
@Ziggy : So, cold turkey? or maybe she managed to do it via vaping?

Of course, the secondary issue for some is, on the subject of medical marijuana, if someone like your daughter needed medical marijuana for pain relief (and I hope she doesn't need it), would using medical marijuana make starting smoking again more likely? or maybe this is not a relevant question for some ppl...

All sorts of aspects, I guess, to the question of medical marijuana...

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There are all types of delivery systems for cannabis. Alkaloids are being isolated, researched, tested, classified, and marketed at an amazing rate. New strains of the plant are being developed all the time. As far as I know, there are 3 different types of cannabis: sativa, indica, and rudiralis. My son was telling me that they are experimenting with a cannabis/tobacco plant. Who knows what they will come up with next?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy : So, cold turkey? or maybe she managed to do it via vaping?

Of course, the secondary issue for some is, on the subject of medical marijuana, if someone like your daughter needed medical marijuana for pain relief (and I hope she doesn't need it), would using medical marijuana make starting smoking again more likely? or maybe this is not a relevant question for some ppl...

All sorts of aspects, I guess, to the question of medical marijuana...
I think she prefers recreational use, even though she does grow her own plants and she knows all about making stuff.
Like she can make mint toothpase or st.johnswort ointments. She went on a crazy suvival mode during Y2K.
Learned all about living off the land. Things hit the fan, I'm going to her house.lol
But , and she does smoke marijuana, she's almost, what.. 42 years old. But she never went back to cigarettes.
She picks on me about my smoking, and I pick on her about hers. Neither one of us has budged..yet
Hugs

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't read this entire thread, but I want to share something with y'all. I have a sister in the Lord who has a very debilitating disease and there is no cure. Unless the Lord intervenes, its going to take her.

Everyone in our Church sees her every week in pain, struggling to walk or really do anything. We pray for her, and I imagine the Church has helped her find medical attention.

She's a fighter, but she clearly is overcome with pain every day.

I don't know if she has used marijuana to alleviate her pain, but I won't judge her if she did. Again, unless the Lord intervenes this is going to kill her and its not going to be swift. Its been a painful trip of 10 years already!

Getting high is not a good thing.... But if this helps her pain I would not judge her. Proverbs 31:6 says to give strong drink to them that are ready to perish. Even though smoke is not drink, the overall concept is there. Why would you give strong drink to someone dying? Well, to ease their pain. In this case, pot may be better to help her nausea.

Again, I don't know if she does, and in my state its legal for medical purposes. So she wouldn't be breaking the law.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That didn't work.

Hugs

I’d like to know who in history was the first idiot who thought that inhaling burning vegetation is a cool idea - especially given that you have to overcome your body telling you how stupid it thinks it is to inhale the smoke, by making you cough and gag - by forcing yourself to inhale until your lungs give up telling you it’s a bad idea, and you stop coughing and hacking.

I guess they were the first masochist.

I’m also curious how they convinced others it’s a good thing, so that it caught on,

I know that someone will probably say it started as an occult ritual, or some such.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Absolutely NO ONE on this thread is condoning getting high or driving while impaired... yet some chose to bring this up anyways... "sigh"
What comes to mind here is ... WALK a mile in my moccasins....

Until and unless someone is confronted with REAL excruciating physical pain on a constant and daily basis... I don't think their opinion on such matters is worthy to be heard. COMPASSION... MERCY.... is so lacking in the modern day Christian world.... It seems to have been replaced with arrogance and pride.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yeah...
Been super busy with the stock market. It's been a very difficult market to deal with lately. But I'm finally up 2%...soon to be more. I was down some too but have clawed my way back.
Predicting the future is a full time job.
I am also gearing up for a vacation. Going to go to visit family we haven't seen for a while. Getting truck tires today. Haircut tomorrow... cleaning the place up before we go.
Lots and lots to do. (As well as keeping up with investments)
Fun stuff has become secondary.
Ahhhhh, money making!...a carrot then an addictive trap and one’s time is chomped.

Who care bear an insult like this of the adored God?

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Absolutely NO ONE on this thread is condoning getting high or driving while impaired... yet some chose to bring this up anyways... "sigh"
What comes to mind here is ... WALK a mile in my moccasins....

Until and unless someone is confronted with REAL excruciating physical pain on a constant and daily basis... I don't think their opinion on such matters is worthy to be heard. COMPASSION... MERCY.... is so lacking in the modern day Christian world.... It seems to have been replaced with arrogance and pride.
Do you wear moccasins Addy?
I thought a moccasin was when you drank a certain coffee ....I suppose wearing moccasins is a messy business....probably as unpopular as wearing an ice cream!

Reactions: Josho

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you seriously not know what a moccasins are??

iu
No, I’m being facetious and playing on the word mocca sin.
Do you think I need shooting?

Reactions: marks

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects.
Then there is addictive behavior.

Well, Willie Nelson does, he's a Christian, so it can't be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Truman

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should a Christian smoke marijuana?