Should A Minister Charge For His Ministry?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
A few months ago, as we attended the funeral of my sister in law’s husband’s father, a renowned gospel musician was invited. She ministered gloriously. But a few weeks after the funeral, as I visited my sister in law and her husband, we got discussing about the funeral and the expenses…

As we chatted along, we talked about the gospel musician that was invited to the funeral. And my sister in law’s husband disclosed to me that the gospel musician actually charged over a million to come and minister. On hearing that, I was very infuriated and bewildered. And right there and then, I expressed my disappointment and indignation.

Then as I looked up to God for a topic to post for discussion this week, the Lord impressed strongly in my Spirit to post about the erroneous ministration charges by his ministers.

The Unscriptural Charges of Ministers

Over the years, I have heard it said that some ministers of the gospel, including: Apostles, Prophets, Pastors, Teachers, Evangelists and Christian musicians charge huge amounts of money in order to go and minister where they are invited to. I didn’t take it much seriously until I have been able to confirm the validity of this particular report.

I have been able to confirm that ministry charges are not only the practice of travelling ministers, but also non-travelling ministers. Many a gospel ministers, including music ministers, don’t move to anywhere for ministry invitation, except a specified amount of money is credited into their accounts.

Then for some, they don’t accept invitations to small congregations knowing they won’t be well paid or given a large honorarium. Then on the other hand, in most local churches, to be able to access the ministers for personal ministration-such as counselling—you must have to obtain a form with good amount of money.

If you don’t have money to obtain the form, you won’t be allowed to see the ministers. And in some cases, during normal meetings, those members who do not have money are excluded from certain ministrations. Then recently, I also hear that people now charge to minister as Choristers in Churches, especially in a starting up local Church. All these stated cases above, are just to name but a few…

And as it is, these practices are increasing on daily basis, both in big and small churches. And of course, these practices do not have any scriptural basis. Hence, they are absolutely unscriptural. And any minister, indulging in such practices with eternity-with Christ—in view should quickly desist.

And any Christian patronizing such ministers and ministries should be wise enough to quickly desist as well. Even if the minister or ministry is valid, we do have a right and spiritual responsibility to reject their ministries; because the ministry gifts of God are not for sale. It is pervasion to charge for any ministry gift.

The Scriptural Due of a Christian Minister

“And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

These twelve Jesus sent forth into the way of the Gentiles, and into any City of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as ye go, preach, saying, the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils; freely you have received, freely give.Provide neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat”—Matthew 10:1,5-10

And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you”—Luke 10:8.

From the above scriptures we can clearly see the biblical prototype of a travelling minister, and what is expected of him or her. And also what is expected to be provided for him or her.

Translating the above scripture to modern time, we see that the basic things a travelling minister is due for his ministration are: a shelter (any kind of shelter), Meal(any manageable Meal), and then the minister’s fare should also be provided.

And it is not still out of place for the local church to raise an offering for the minister’s honorarium. But that should be left to the prerogative of the local church. Apart from the basic needs, such as transportation, shelter and food, a minister need not demand for other thing.

After providing for at least the basic needs, the minister should be content. If an honorarium is also added above his basic needs, it is not a sin to accept it. But on the other hand, if it is not given, the minister should also be content to have had the privilege to have ministered to the people of God. And not be offended, and decide not to go and minister there again because he was not given honorarium. That’s a wrong spiritual attitude; because he is a minister of God…

It is true the scripture just quoted says, a workman is worthy of his meat, but his meat giver is his employer, God. Not man. Even though God most of the time uses men…

Then for the local Church minister, he is to minister to all and sundry, with no discrepancies.

He is to minister freely to the poor as well as the rich. He is to minister without charging anyone a dime. Freely he has received and freely he is to give. But then he can receive honorarium from the tithe and offerings as a labourer in the word (1Timothy 5:17-18). And if someone is led of his own free will to sow monetary or material seed to him, of course, he can also receive it.

After all these, and the minister sees that what he receives is not enough income to meet all his or her responsibility, then let him set up a business. A minister setting up a business is not a sin. He can engage in a business that does not encroach into his ministry time (There are many of them these days).

Then eventually, as the business grows, he can employ people to manage the business, while he just plays a supervisory role…

All these are the scriptural ways for a minister to earn his due for a living.

If you have any question, reply or comment, you can post it below for discussion.

Emeke Odili

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Apart from the basic needs, such as transportation, shelter and food, a minister need not demand for other thing.
The fundamental principle here is "Freely ye have received, freely give". Any demand for compensation is ruled out. That is what we find in the NT.

So while those who minister the Gospel should be financially supported by those who benefit from their ministry, the preacher must trust God to bring about the support.

And obscene demands for large amount of cash are totally unscriptural. They indicate that the man is covetous, and therefore an idolater. There are far too many gullible and naive Christians who go along with this kind of highway robbery.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The fundamental principle here is "Freely ye have received, freely give". Any demand for compensation is ruled out. That is what we find in the NT.

So while those who minister the Gospel should be financially supported by those who benefit from their ministry, the preacher must trust God to bring about the support.

And obscene demands for large amount of cash are totally unscriptural. They indicate that the man is covetous, and therefore an idolater. There are far too many gullible and naive Christians who go along with this kind of highway robbery.
They are either greedy or the church is run more like a business, to bleed people dry. Bet there are weekly lectures on tithing at these places too.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
a renowned gospel musician was invited.
Can you clarify. Was this musician conducting the service or singing at the service?
Was this musician a family friend, or a member of your church?

If this was a professional sing invited to sing at a service then it is normal for them to charge for their services.

As for should a minister charge for their service? Well again it depends on the relationship and on how the funeral is being paid for.
At my Father funeral a minister who is a good friend as well as being the minister at the church, told me that as he is paid by the funeral director he takes the fee and pays it to what ever charity is being supported at the funeral. He said he does this as 'fees for minister' are a standard part of a funeral and if not claimed are part of the funeral directors profit.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Can you clarify. Was this musician conducting the service or singing at the service?
Was this musician a family friend, or a member of your church?

If this was a professional sing invited to sing at a service then it is normal for them to charge for their services.

As for should a minister charge for their service? Well again it depends on the relationship and on how the funeral is being paid for.
At my Father funeral a minister who is a good friend as well as being the minister at the church, told me that as he is paid by the funeral director he takes the fee and pays it to what ever charity is being supported at the funeral. He said he does this as 'fees for minister' are a standard part of a funeral and if not claimed are part of the funeral directors profit.
I did say she is renowned, which means she already has selling albums. She actually came to sing praise and worship at the funeral.

My question is, should the ministry gifts of God be professionalised and charged for?

Now let's see it this way, what was the essence of the charge? Does it make sense to charge someone in order to come and lead praises and worship to God?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my opinion the Church has created this problem by making the choir director an officially paid position. Thus Chrstians who are musically inclined, will seek such a position as a job. Before long they learn they can make money this way, so if good enough, why not try and record and make more money. Thus it becomes hard for them to display their talent anywhere without being paid.

The Church, in my opinion, does not need a choir director. They have the hymns that are for the purpose of congregational singing. This is why the Churches today are getting away from the hymns because the choir director wants to display his talents, not the congregations ability to worship without him. Thus, the congregation is deprived of the hymns. And they get to watch the prima donna's perform.

As far as the pastor being paid, yes, the pastor must be paid if you want him to do the work he needs to do. But, I don't think the pastor should ask for it. And if he is truly led by the Spirit of God in this gift and ministry, believe me the people will want to pay to keep him and hear more. They willl go to the well where there is water.

Concerning a funeral, I have found it is much more worshipful to have the people attending to sing a couple of hymns. No need for a paid singer. Not only does it sound good but the people themselves are ministered to by the Holy Spirit in their praise.

Stranger

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I did say she is renowned, which means she already has selling albums. She actually came to sing praise and worship at the funeral.

My question is, should the ministry gifts of God be professionalised and charged for?

Now let's see it this way, what was the essence of the charge? Does it make sense to charge someone in order to come and lead praises and worship to God?

Good post.
And my own answer is..To any of those who were given a gift, be it singing or preaching or whatever. It is just that...it is a GIFT from the Lord.
What business has any of them for "charging" a fee for this????
Shame on them.

Now, if a hall or something is rented for the event ..then the church pays for the hall, and pays for the person's flight if need be....
It costs the person nothing...why should they be 'paid'?
It is not a profession it is a calling ( for some...and a chosen prfession for others! :rolleyes:
We know that Paul supplemented his life by being a tentmaker. And says himself, that he was a burden to no one.

This to me is what Jesus did when he got angry turned over the tables out side the temple... True words for today...they have made the things of God into a den of thieves.

Reactions: emekrus and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As far as the pastor being paid, yes, the pastor must be paid if you want him to do the work he needs to do. But, I don't think the pastor should ask for it. And if he is truly led by the Spirit of God in this gift and ministry, believe me the people will want to pay to keep him and hear more. They will go to the well where there is water.

I cannot agree with you there.
When we had our church , we had meetings 3 hours long ( because the people would never want to leave) We had 5 meetings a week, because the people wanted them. ( It was like that in the 60's and 70's if anyone remembers)
My husband spoke at every meeting.. And he had his own full-time business as a builder. Started early and worked late..even Saturdays.

When he opened his bible to preach you could hear a pin drop.
He didn't used 'canned' messages, powerpoint , over heads, or any of the gimmicks they have now. He opened his bible and "God flowed out".

A friend in town here is a " full time" pastor ( whatever that is supposed to mean...is that any different than a full-time Christian?)

This friend of our hold One 1 hour meeting on a Sunday morning. And One 1 hour prayer and bible study ( which he gets out of a book)
And we have to believe that this is worthy of the pay check he gets each week!!
So...he visits the sick etc. So do full-time Christians.

And we wonder why the Church of today is so powerless and pathetic!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: emekrus and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we had our church , we had meetings 3 hours long ( because the people would never want to leave) We had 5 meetings a week, because the people wanted them. ( It was like that in the 60's and 70's if anyone remembers)
My husband spoke at every meeting.. And he had his own full-time business as a builder. Started early and worked late..even Saturdays.

He didn't used 'canned' messages, powerpoint , over heads, or any of the gimmicks they have now. He opened his bible and "God flowed out".
Where I have attended no one ever preaches 'canned' messages or any messages prepared ahead of time. It sounds good and it has been, but... I used stand and talk at nearly every meeting until April of this year. Now mostly I "talk" on the Internet on forums like this one. My pastor is on his long trip now. He started from here in Oklahoma going first to Texas, then to New Mexico and is now in Arizona. From there he goes to Portland, Or, Seattle WA and then south to Los Angeles. From LA it is to Houston, Tx before returning home. His 93rd birthday will be next month. The only place he is not in demand is at home. His troubles have overflowed onto me... but that's OK. He has been a full-time minister since being saved in 1935. Early on he traveled with his father a native Indian [Chippewa] minister from Canada. Me, I've been a full time civil servant, but now I am only a servant of God. No, I don't get paid in money to teach from the Bible.

As for my pastor, a couple of the churches he's visiting are providing plane tickets on the parts where he travels by air, but a large part of the trip he is driving alone in his own car. The churches are also providing him a place to sleep, usually in the pastor's home, but most of the expenses are his own. No one is paying him money although hopefully some will choose to take up an offering for him. Our little assembly can't afford to cover his travel expenses.

A friend in town here is a " full time" pastor ( whatever that is supposed to mean...is that any different than a full-time Christian?)
That is the right question. Who is not a full-time follower of Christ? It seems that there are many who live that way.

This friend of our hold One 1 hour meeting on a Sunday morning. And One 1 hour prayer and bible study ( which he gets out of a book)

Help us dear Lord!

Reactions: emekrus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where I have attended no one ever preaches 'canned' messages or any messages prepared ahead of time. It sounds good and it has been, but... I used stand and talk at nearly every meeting until April of this year. Now mostly I "talk" on the Internet on forums like this one. My pastor is on his long trip now. He started from here in Oklahoma going first to Texas, then to New Mexico and is now in Arizona. From there he goes to Portland, Or, Seattle WA and then south to Los Angeles. From LA it is to Houston, Tx before returning home. His 93rd birthday will be next month. The only place he is not in demand is at home. His troubles have overflowed onto me... but that's OK. He has been a full-time minister since being saved in 1935. Early on he traveled with his father a native Indian [Chippewa] minister from Canada. Me, I've been a full time civil servant, but now I am only a servant of God. No, I don't get paid in money to teach from the Bible.

As for my pastor, a couple of the churches he's visiting are providing plane tickets on the parts where he travels by air, but a large part of the trip he is driving alone in his own car. The churches are also providing him a place to sleep, usually in the pastor's home, but most of the expenses are his own. No one is paying him money although hopefully some will choose to take up an offering for him. Our little assembly can't afford to cover his travel expenses.

That is the right question. Who is not a full-time follower of Christ? It seems that there are many who live that way.

Help us dear Lord!

Oh I so agree. Those in so called "ministry" these days are a far cry from the old "tried and true"...the old generals are dying...and the new breed are pathetic. Our old pastor used to say - "If God has called a person, God will supply for him...When my needs stop being supplied, I will know that my time in ministry is over. He has never let me down in 40 years."

Your dear old pastor is of the old school...when they knew what faith really was. Having 'needs' fulfilled does not cut it for them these days. They 'want' ..and wants are not supplied by the Lord. Bigger car , better house, maybe a small boat, a holiday...
Our pastor never took a holiday..he said " Holiday from what?"

But John...we have tasted and see te had to eat the he glorious, so many have not...they have had to eat the canned food and canned worship!

We are and have been blessed indeed!

Reactions: amadeus

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard it said that when a Pastor preforms a Wedding Service, that the Groom should make an offer to the Pastor for the Service, And that would be OK, IF it is just that, an offer or gift.
I was attending a Assembly's of God Church in Idaho, and the Pastor, when He came to replace the last one, expressed to me that the Board and Him negotiated for His monthly Salary, and this Pastor basically said to me that He would not take the Position for Less than!!$$$

Called to Serve, but not for less than $$$ FEW are Called, and Many have Chosen to make it a Profession!

Reactions: emekrus and Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few months ago, as we attended the funeral of my sister in law’s husband’s father, a renowned gospel musician was invited. She ministered gloriously. But a few weeks after the funeral, as I visited my sister in law and her husband, we got discussing about the funeral and the expenses…

As we chatted along, we talked about the gospel musician that was invited to the funeral. And my sister in law’s husband disclosed to me that the gospel musician actually charged over a million to come and minister. On hearing that, I was very infuriated and bewildered. And right there and then, I expressed my disappointment and indignation.

Then as I looked up to God for a topic to post for discussion this week, the Lord impressed strongly in my Spirit to post about the erroneous ministration charges by his ministers.

The Unscriptural Charges of Ministers

Over the years, I have heard it said that some ministers of the gospel, including: Apostles, Prophets, Pastors, Teachers, Evangelists and Christian musicians charge huge amounts of money in order to go and minister where they are invited to. I didn’t take it much seriously until I have been able to confirm the validity of this particular report.

I have been able to confirm that ministry charges are not only the practice of travelling ministers, but also non-travelling ministers. Many a gospel ministers, including music ministers, don’t move to anywhere for ministry invitation, except a specified amount of money is credited into their accounts.

Then for some, they don’t accept invitations to small congregations knowing they won’t be well paid or given a large honorarium. Then on the other hand, in most local churches, to be able to access the ministers for personal ministration-such as counselling—you must have to obtain a form with good amount of money.

If you don’t have money to obtain the form, you won’t be allowed to see the ministers. And in some cases, during normal meetings, those members who do not have money are excluded from certain ministrations. Then recently, I also hear that people now charge to minister as Choristers in Churches, especially in a starting up local Church. All these stated cases above, are just to name but a few…

And as it is, these practices are increasing on daily basis, both in big and small churches. And of course, these practices do not have any scriptural basis. Hence, they are absolutely unscriptural. And any minister, indulging in such practices with eternity-with Christ—in view should quickly desist.

And any Christian patronizing such ministers and ministries should be wise enough to quickly desist as well. Even if the minister or ministry is valid, we do have a right and spiritual responsibility to reject their ministries; because the ministry gifts of God are not for sale. It is pervasion to charge for any ministry gift.

The Scriptural Due of a Christian Minister

“And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.

These twelve Jesus sent forth into the way of the Gentiles, and into any City of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as ye go, preach, saying, the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils; freely you have received, freely give.Provide neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat”—Matthew 10:1,5-10

And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you”—Luke 10:8.

From the above scriptures we can clearly see the biblical prototype of a travelling minister, and what is expected of him or her. And also what is expected to be provided for him or her.

Translating the above scripture to modern time, we see that the basic things a travelling minister is due for his ministration are: a shelter (any kind of shelter), Meal(any manageable Meal), and then the minister’s fare should also be provided.

And it is not still out of place for the local church to raise an offering for the minister’s honorarium. But that should be left to the prerogative of the local church. Apart from the basic needs, such as transportation, shelter and food, a minister need not demand for other thing.

After providing for at least the basic needs, the minister should be content. If an honorarium is also added above his basic needs, it is not a sin to accept it. But on the other hand, if it is not given, the minister should also be content to have had the privilege to have ministered to the people of God. And not be offended, and decide not to go and minister there again because he was not given honorarium. That’s a wrong spiritual attitude; because he is a minister of God…

It is true the scripture just quoted says, a workman is worthy of his meat, but his meat giver is his employer, God. Not man. Even though God most of the time uses men…

Then for the local Church minister, he is to minister to all and sundry, with no discrepancies.

He is to minister freely to the poor as well as the rich. He is to minister without charging anyone a dime. Freely he has received and freely he is to give. But then he can receive honorarium from the tithe and offerings as a labourer in the word (1Timothy 5:17-18). And if someone is led of his own free will to sow monetary or material seed to him, of course, he can also receive it.

After all these, and the minister sees that what he receives is not enough income to meet all his or her responsibility, then let him set up a business. A minister setting up a business is not a sin. He can engage in a business that does not encroach into his ministry time (There are many of them these days).

Then eventually, as the business grows, he can employ people to manage the business, while he just plays a supervisory role…

All these are the scriptural ways for a minister to earn his due for a living.

If you have any question, reply or comment, you can post it below for discussion.

Emeke Odili

Yes @emekrus Odili !! I agree, food, shelter and travel expenses, period. I cannot see where scripture allows for anything further. These people I think are the ones spoken of in Matthew 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

"And any minister, indulging in such practices with eternity-with Christ—in view should quickly desist."
And any Christian patronizing such ministers and ministries should be wise enough to quickly desist as well.

Indeed! Unfortunately we have too many "adult" Christians still sucking their thumbs!! I know too many, even in my own Church. I see no growth in them.
Also, most of the pastors I know have side jobs, both pastor and asst. pastor at my Church have jobs because they have to...My pastor and his wife have 7 kids, and our asst. pastor has 6! Our Church is inner city and there many young single mothers with all kinds of needs so they cannot give much money. But IMHO, if your Church is truly blessed of God Almighty, believe me, it WILL grow despite the poor there!
Amen!
I enjoyed your post and agree with in with righteous anger brother emekrus !
Bless you much,
-nancy

Reactions: amadeus and emekrus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post.
And my own answer is..To any of those who were given a gift, be it singing or preaching or whatever. It is just that...it is a GIFT from the Lord.
What business has any of them for "charging" a fee for this????
Shame on them."

By Gum, byGrace I couldn'ta said it ANY better . I believe it can be a sin to not use your God given gift in His service. I am speaking of Christias here, not the world. There was an awesome Christian singer/writer/piano player named Keith Green, he was one of the 1st Christian artist I liked, allot! He never, ever sought a crown for himself, ever. He always had such a hard time with "selling the Gospel". His story is amazing and Tragic, (I will tack it on the bottom of this post...it starts out slow and scratchy-like,it is all about his life and ministry, incredible, and way inspiring)
Well, before recording his album "So You Wanna Go Back to Egypt". He wanted to change the contract and not charge for them, if they can give towards it then cool but, he wanted to give them away.

The followingvideo is long. But I can honestly say that I have never been so crazy inspired by another Christians walk as I have by Keiths. So,if any would take the time to watch this, you will meet a man of God's own heart, for sure. :)
Be blessed...please!
-nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard it said that when a Pastor preforms a Wedding Service, that the Groom should make an offer to the Pastor for the Service, And that would be OK, IF it is just that, an offer or gift.
I was attending a Assembly's of God Church in Idaho, and the Pastor, when He came to replace the last one, expressed to me that the Board and Him negotiated for His monthly Salary, and this Pastor basically said to me that He would not take the Position for Less than!!$$$

Called to Serve, but not for less than $$$ FEW are Called, and Many have Chosen to make it a Profession!
It is possible that a man who really could be a good called pastor has gotten himself into a financial bind by living beyond his means and now he is unable to easily back out of it. With less than so many $$$ per month he cannot make ends meet or satisfy a demanding spouse. Either way he not accomplishing God's work for himself or for the people he should be serving.

Today's situation in the United States reminds me of the leadership among the leaders of Judaism during the time of Jesus. Even the exceptions among them such as Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea apparently hesitated or feared to serve God as they should. We do have some potentially good ministers today, but some are too deeply immersed in the ways of the world to really follow God and the flocks they are to feed will often as a result end up very hungry indeed for the things of God.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

If that is there profession then they should charge for their services.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that is there profession then they should charge for their services.
Do you remember why the Levites did not receive an inheritance in land like the other tribes of Israel?

"The priests the Levites, and all the tribe of Levi, shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel: they shall eat the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and his inheritance.
Therefore shall they have no inheritance among their brethren: the LORD is their inheritance, as he hath said unto them." Deut 18:1-2

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If that is what you and the other church members want, that is fine. But, I can assure you, if your husband spoke 5 times a week for three hours, and worked all week long, he could not prepare adequately for what he wanted to say. In other words, no matter how great everyone thought it was, how much greater would it have been had he the time to invest more into Bible Study and a message.

Just because one does not use, 'canned messages', as you say, doesn't mean they don't need to prepare. And that requires time. And a lot of it.

Yes, a full time pastor means the people are willing to pay for his time to study and prepare and minister. Which is a full time job.

It is not up to you or me if the local congregation believes one is worth a pay check. If they believe his ministry ministers to them and are willing to pay him, that is up to them.

Stranger