Should the meaning of Greek words affect the interpretation of the passages they are found in?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You three guys have got good thinkers. So, please read Mark 13 and tell me: At which verse did St.Mark switch from literal speech to metaphorical speech? (if at all)

Inquiring minds want to know. :Zzzzz:
@Christian Gedge I don't know why I always add or clarify after I post, after I think I'm done.

IMO it was before He used the fig tree as a metaphor for the signs of the times in verse 28, and after He spoke about literal tribulation until verse 23.

The oscillation between literal and metaphor in apocalyptic literature doesn't surprise me in any way either. I don't think it strange. It's a writing style common in the prophets, especially prevalent in Isaiah.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@quietthinker What is your view regarding the OP in this thread as regards to what Peter meant by the words stoichion (ordered tings) and ergon (works)?
Peter's springboard and thus his emphasis is that Jesus has the ongoing present preeminence. Pauls was the same as were all the apostles. It is the result/ fruit of a love relationship with the Master. When this reality become our present truth, all the debates about works and words fade.

Ongoing debates re these things is immature (while having the appearance of insight). I have realised that these cognitive exercises do nothing for my connection with Jesus nor do they make me holy or make me a fisher of men.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, he does. The context of everything he said in 2 Peter 3 is in relation to what he said here:

2 Peter 3:3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”

This is talking about people scoffing at the promise of Christ's return. They will suffer the wrath that Peter describes in 2 Peter 3:7 and 2 Peter 3:10-12 when Christ returns. Paul describes that wrath as "sudden destruction" from which "they will not escape" (1 Thess 5:2-3).
I suppose a Christian reading this passage, being familiar with, Jesus' word concerning his coming again, will understand Peter's word in reference to that event. But is Peter speaking about the second coming of Christ? Did the prophets predict another coming of a sort?

Peter compares two different destructions of the earth: 1) the earth destroyed by water, and 2) the earth destroyed by fire. Where to the OT prophets speak about the destruction of the earth by fire?

ref: @Fullness of the Gentiles

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul called death the final enemy to be destroyed. The curse has already been removed.

No, it has not. That is utter folly. Is your body decaying? Have you any wrinkles that you didn't have when you were young? Is your hair failing out? Are you going to physically die? Is creation still groaning and travailing up until we are glorified? You know what you are saying is simply not true. This is Full Preterist jargon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiritual Israelite

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No, it has not. That is utter folly. Is your body decaying? Have you any wrinkles that you didn't have when you were young? Is your hair failing out? Are you going to physically die? Is creation still groaning and travailing up until we are glorified? You know what you are saying is simply not true. This is Full Preterist jargon.
IMO decay, dying and death is still with us WPM, but the curse that caused it way back in the Garden of Eden was laid upon Christ. He was cursed for our transgressions. Death is the last enemy to be destroyed. The curse has already been removed. That's my opinion and it hasn't changed because we disagree.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Peter's springboard and thus his emphasis is that Jesus has the ongoing present preeminence. Pauls was the same as were all the apostles. It is the result/ fruit of a love relationship with the Master. When this reality become our present truth, all the debates about works and words fade.

Ongoing debates re these things is immature (while having the appearance of insight). I have realised that these cognitive exercises do nothing for my connection with Jesus nor do they make me holy or make me a fisher of men.
Well let's hope that you don't preach to the unsaved like you preach to those who are saved over here. It will put them right off anything you have to say. @quietthinker Especially when you're claiming to be holier than thou while you're either subtly or directly in accusative attack mode.

Believers could have mature conversations with one another about things written by the apostles or said by Jesus or written in the prophets if all were mature enough, I guess, but human nature is what it is and no believer is perfectly holy, except that God sees us all that way (each and every one of us who places their faith in Christ, who is Holy).

Last edited:
Reactions: WPM

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMO decay, dying and death is still with us WPM, but the curse that caused it way back in the Garden of Eden was laid upon Christ. He was cursed for our transgressions. Death is the last enemy to be destroyed. The curse has already been removed. That's my opinion and it hasn't changed because we disagree.

Our spirits have been redeemed, but our bodies are not redeemed until the second coming. The bondage of corruption - all the result of the Fall - is not lifted till Jesus comes to glorified His elect and all creation. So, you are going to have to qualify what you say.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well let's hope that you don't preach to the unsaved like you preach to those who are saved over here. It will put them right off anything you have to say. @quietthinker Especially when you're claiming to be holier than thou while you're either subtly or directly in accusative attack mode.

Believers could have mature conversations with one another about things written by the apostles or said by Jesus or written in the prophets if all were mature enough, I guess, but human nature is what it is and no believer is perfectly holy, except that God sees us all that way (each and every one of us who places their faith in Christ, who is Holy).
Preach?... is that how you hear it?
Holier than thou?.... what a bizarre conclusion.
Subtly or directly in accusative attack mode?.....a rebuke heard as an attack? what strange ears!

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've just realized something. Correct me if I'm wrong. You have the fire mentioned in 2 Peter 3:10-12 linked to the fire coming down from God out of heaven mentioned in Revelation 20:9, which is why you keep linking what Peter said to literal fire.

If that's the case, then we don't agree on that, either. I believe the fire in Revelation 20:9 is the final judgment of the final rebellion at the close of a literal millennium, so I don't see the two linked at all.
I don't understand this. What is described in Revelation 20:9 occurs before what is described in Revelation 20:15. So, why are you (seemingly) equating those two verses? Do you not think that God's enemies will be physically destroyed? He's done it before. Why not again?

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Preach?... is that how you hear it?
Holier than thou?.... what a bizarre conclusion.
Subtly or directly in accusative attack mode?.....a rebuke heard as an attack? what strange ears!

I am afraid, that is how you come across in your lectures.

Reactions: Zao is life

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know whether or not you are correct. What you say makes sense about the entire planet burning but I'm not too sure all scripture agrees with it being literal rather than metaphor for the judgment of God.
I have to point out what Peter said in 2 Peter 3:5-7 again because that establishes the context of what he wrote in 2 Peter 3:10-12.

3 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.” 5 But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens came into being and the earth was formed out of water and by water. 6 By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. 7 By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of the ungodly.

First, Peter references the flood waters that flooded the earth and destroyed all of the ungodly in the world. So, he referenced a past global, physical event. No room for debate here, right? I would hope not. Then, he said what he did in verse 7 which I quoted above. To me, it's very clear that he compared a past global, physical event to a future global, physical event. What basis is there for seeing it any other way? And if seen this way, it should be clear that what he was saying there is that just as the flood waters covered the entire surface of the earth and destroyed all of the ungodly in the past, the same will happen in the future, only this time by fire. Please address this. If you disagree, please tell me exactly how you interpret that passage.

Let's leave that part as "you are correct and it's literal", and narrow it down to whether or not Peter's emphasis was on the physical order, or the order of things in humanity, and the works in the earth (rocks?), or the works of humans.
Sorry to be a broken record, but I believe 2 Peter 3:5-7 makes it clear that his emphasis was on physical destruction and the fire that will come down on the earth (and that will affect the heavens and the elements as well) which will destroy all of the ungodly (unsaved). And, that will result in the destruction of the works of humans as well since the point of it all is to end up with "new heavens and a new earth where righteousness dwells" (2 Peter 3:13).

Yes. I agree. Day of judgment too. 7th trumpet. 7th bowl of wrath. "The last trump". The resurrection of the dead. The day Peter is talking about in 2 Peter 3:10-12.

Part of the point but not the only point. We agree on the above.
Glad we can agree on that, at least.

That's possible but I don't know. The other part of it is that I don't believe that Peter is talking about the physical order and the works of the earth but the human order of things as it is now and the works of humans, because those words mean just that in every other New Testament verse they appear in.
That simply does not matter. The fact of the matter is that the Greek words have multiple definitions and not just one. So, how they are used in other verses does not dictate how they need to be used in 2 Peter 3:10-12. It's good to compare how they are used elsewhere, but that alone does not dictate what they should mean in any given verse. It depends on the context.

I don't know why it should be news to you. It's not news to ewqr. I don't blame you for missing it though. It's confusing and complicated remembering every detail of everything everyone believes.
Is it something you have said to me directly before? I don't read all your posts to ewq and other people. Anyway, it doesn't matter.

Yes but your understanding of the immortality of Adam's body before he sinned and began to die is not the same as mine. Only Christ is immortal in the way you understand immortality, IMO.
I don't see how Adam has anything to do with this. In the future, those who are changed and have immortal bodies will have an immortal body like only Christ has now. How can they later die? We know Christ cannot die again. So, I am completely baffled about your view on this.

And Revelation 21:8 mentions that there s a 2nd death.
Only for those whose names are not written in the book of life. The unsaved dead will all be resurrected at the same time and then judged and cast into the lake of fire. But, no one who Paul says in 1 Cor 15:51-52 will be changed to have immortal bodies will be among them.

I agree with that, but I disagree with this:
What you were referencing here was this comment that I had made:

There will be physical destruction at that time, as other scripture like Matthew 24:35-39 and 2 Peter 3:10-12 make clear, but that destruction is described in a figurative way in Revelation 19 whereas it is described literally in 2 Peter 3:10-12.

You say you disagree with this, but then didn't say why or comment any further. Can you please explain why you take Revelation 19:15-18 literally but not 2 Peter 3:10-12? Do you believe that Jesus will be slaying people with a literal sword coming out of His mouth when He returns?

If not, then why would you take any of that literally, including the bodies that were slain by His sword and the birds feeding on those bodies?
Where is the consistency in seeing the sword as being symbolic but not the birds feasting on the dead bodies that were killed by the symbolic sword? To me, it's clear that the whole thing is a symbolic representation of the destruction that will occur when Christ returns and none of it should be taken literally. Why take some of it symbolically and some literally (assuming that is what you do)? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You three guys have got good thinkers. So, please read Mark 13 and tell me: At which verse did St.Mark switch from literal speech to metaphorical speech? (if at all)

Inquiring minds want to know. :Zzzzz:
Well, I need to rethink this. I saw the reference to Revelation 6:12-17 which talks about stars falling to the earth. That can't be literal because that would mean the earth was annihilated even before the wrath of the Lamb came down on the earth, which obviously makes no sense. But, looking at the Mark 13 passage again more carefully, I see that it doesn't say that the stars fall from heaven to the earth. So, that could very well be literal even though I'm not sure what stars falling from heaven means in a literal sense. It could be a reference to them being dissolved and 2 Peter 3:10-12 does talk about the heavens being dissolved, which would include the planets and the stars.

Reactions: Christian Gedge

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Metaphorically speaking when I see one amillennialist disagreeing with two others about whether or not something is metaphorical, I dance with the stars.
Not so fast. Revelation 6:12-17 was referenced first and I had my mind on that and then read the Mark 13 passage, but probably not as carefully as I should have. The Revelation 6 passage specifically mentions stars falling to the earth. In a literal sense that would result in the complete annihilation of the earth, so it can't be literal since it talks about that occurring just before the wrath of the Lamb comes down on the earth. Obviously, the wrath of the Lamb can't come down on a non-existent earth.

But, the Mark 13 passage does not mention stars falling to the earth. It just mentions stars falling from heaven. So, that can be literal.

Last edited:

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christian Gedge I don't know why I always add or clarify after I post, after I think I'm done.

IMO it was before He used the fig tree as a metaphor for the signs of the times in verse 28, and after He spoke about literal tribulation until verse 23.

The oscillation between literal and metaphor in apocalyptic literature doesn't surprise me in any way either. I don't think it strange. It's a writing style common in the prophets, especially prevalent in Isaiah.
I agree to an extent, but I don't think it makes sense to think that a prophet would go back and forth between literal and metaphor within the same sentence, such as in Mark 13:24-25.

Reactions: Christian Gedge

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree completely. Yes, Christ's death and resurrection guaranteed that the curse will be removed, but it has not yet actually been removed. Which is clear because people are still sinning and dying. You are absolutely right that he has bought in to some full preterist teachings here.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose a Christian reading this passage, being familiar with, Jesus' word concerning his coming again, will understand Peter's word in reference to that event. But is Peter speaking about the second coming of Christ?
In my view there is no question whatsoever that He was speaking about the second coming of Christ.

Do you think that Paul was not speaking about the second coming of Christ here:

1 Thessalonians 5:1 Now, brothers and sisters, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, 2 for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 3 While people are saying, “Peace and safety,” destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

Did the prophets predict another coming of a sort?

Peter compares two different destructions of the earth: 1) the earth destroyed by water, and 2) the earth destroyed by fire. Where to the OT prophets speak about the destruction of the earth by fire?
It does not matter if they did or not. This is a NT prophecy.

Reactions: Zao is life