Smart Shopping: More Important Than Ever

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking for ways to conserve your money? Bargain hunting may be becoming more important than ever.

I just created another thread on this, but maybe this is the better way to package it for public consumption. If there's a ray of hope in the dark clouds gathering on the horizon for the economy, it's in the area of finding retail bargains.

Like many women, my wife shops for them. I sometimes laugh it off a little, thinking she's making too big a deal out of saving just a few cents. But it's a good habit to have, especially now, because many may be able to come away with savings far more significant than normal due to how retailers are now running into surpluses at a time of decreasing profits. This means that retailers may of necessity have to unload stuff for cheap they have too much of; not only durable goods but especially overstock on perishable items (i.e. food), which will have to be sold fast.

Not that frozen pizzas are necessarily "perishable," but I was remarking last night how cost effective it is to buy Red Baron pizzas at $3.50 on sale, buy some small cans of olives and mushrooms for a few bucks more and be able to eat three decent meals on it for around $6.00. The normal ebb and flow of sale prices still applies, of course, but the fact that surpluses are starting to cause prices to drop in a BIG way in some instances makes it all the more worth watching for things going on sale now.

-

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking for ways to conserve your money? Bargain hunting may be becoming more important than ever.

Something that may help in this regard. Just noticed it in passing:

find-the-best-grocery-deals-with-these-resources.jpg

Find the Best Grocery Deals with These Free and Easy-To-Use Resources

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I make chili dogs from scratch :) And they taste pretty good. All beef hotdog, chili, Mexican cheese.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I should by some bulk mozzarella and freeze it. That is the only thing that wouldn't have the long shelf life to make a pizza.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what I hear pizzas can be good eatin for cheap if you make it yourself and use canned tomato sauce.

I tried that once. I wasn't impressed with my efforts though, LoL.

For me, the best thing is finding cheap retail pizzas (Red Baron, Tony's, whatever's on sale), and then just adding stuff to make it more like a restaurant pizza: Olives, mushrooms, tomato slices, green pepper, etc.

The thing is, when you do that you have to add more cooking time. A pizza that normally takes 18 minutes will take about 10 minutes longer, and the crust will get black around the edges. But it's worth it. Nearly as good as restaurant-bought pizza, and at a MUCH cheaper price. Restaurant prices are getting ridiculous these days.

Reactions: dev553344

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I make chili dogs from scratch :) And they taste pretty good. All beef hotdog, chili, Mexican cheese.

I believe making them from scratch would mean having your own sausage grinder, Lol, but I know what you mean.

P.S. If you do that, I'd advise not telling people what's in it. I eat hot dogs sometimes, and I'm not sure I want to know.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For me, the best thing is finding cheap retail pizzas (Red Baron, Tony's, whatever's on sale), and then just adding stuff to make it more like a restaurant pizza: Olives, mushrooms, tomato slices, green pepper, etc.

The thing is, when you do that you have to add more cooking time. A pizza that normally takes 18 minutes will take about 10 minutes longer, and the crust will get black around the edges. But it's worth it. Nearly as good as restaurant-bought pizza, and at a MUCH cheaper price. Restaurant prices are getting ridiculous these days.
I tried that once and it didn't work out. :( We have Digiorno's pizza here and it's pretty good just off the shelf. It's the only pizza that I'll buy.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian

I heard frozen pizza may still contain trans-fat.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe making them from scratch would mean having your own sausage grinder, Lol, but I know what you mean.

P.S. If you do that, I'd advise not telling people what's in it. I eat hot dogs sometimes, and I'm not sure I want to know.
LOL, I had a strange friend on FB post a video of examining hot dogs on a micro slide. I don't know why she posted it as it took me a week before I could eat a hot dog again. But I shouldn't worry. If you buy good hot dogs then no worries. But if you buy cheap hot dogs then... :(

"Hebrew National" is probably safe.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They may have changed the receipt. But Healthy food is expensive.
I'm on a low budget so I bought the same stuff and ate it day after day for a couple years (sandwiches, and top ramen) it gave me stomach problems. Now I'm on a slightly higher budget and am able to eat healthier and my stomach is returning to normal again. Eating healthy is a must or you'll run into problems in life.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They may have changed the receipt. But Healthy food is expensive.

Usually, yes. I'm not normally the type who would know, LoL.

You know what's also good, and relatively cheap as dishes go? Baked Potato Casserole. It's also called Loaded Potato Casserole. We discovered this recently, and it's a good way to make potatoes (normally very cheap on the market) a main dish. To make it well you need to add things like chives and sour cream into the mix, but it's basically just boiled potatoes that you then cover with cheese and bacon and then cook in an oven for half an hour or so. Stretches the dollar well.

Very good, and very affordable. You can eat on it for less than $2.00 a meal.

f25106de38a299f3ab32057caff634fb.jpg

Last edited:

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Potted meat, Wal-Mart brand 35cents a can.

Can have a sandwich for less than a dollar if you can stomach it.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Usually, yes. I'm not normally the type who would know, LoL.

You know what's also good, and relatively cheap as dishes go? Baked Potato Casserole. It's also called Loaded Potato Casserole. We discovered this recently, and it's a good way to make potatoes (normally very cheap on the market) a main dish. To make it well you need to add things like chives and sour cream into the mix, but it's basically just boiled potatoes that you then cover with cheese and bacon and then cook in an oven for half an hour or so. Stretches the dollar well.

Very good, and very affordable. You can eat on it for less than $2.00 a meal.

f25106de38a299f3ab32057caff634fb.jpg
Another thing that is good that is relatively cost effective if you cook is to buy chicken breasts then fry them up and tear them with a fork into shreds. Add some Suiza's sauce and avocado and re-fried beans. Put it in a casserole dish with the burito wrap and you have chicken enchiladas suizas. It's super good and one of my favorites. Almost forgot the garnishing with Mexican cheese.:D

enchiladas-suizas8.jpg

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That not only sounds but looks really good.

We definitely need to give this one a try. Thanks for sharing.
It is really good. If I remember correctly it's re-fried beans not baked beans. And it is baked at 325-350 for 30 mins in the center rack. The refried beans go on the outside next to the enchiladas sprinkled with cheese.